Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MAJ_DUNDEE

Enough of the invisable ships without smoke screens

70 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

7
[USCC2]
Members
17 posts
5,380 battles

I think the game has made a new low with the over modeled Camo.. . . .  the invisible ships in the game when they firing and you can't see them.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
379
[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles

If it’s obvious they’re sitting still, I just fire back where they’re firing from. 

 

 

Besides, do you want to be constantly spotted so several ships can constantly shoot at you the moment you’re in range?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
319
[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

There is no stealth firing anymore. The only way you can get shot at without  being able to see the shooter is if there is a smokescreen or island in the way

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
4 minutes ago, MAJ_DUNDEE said:

I think the game has made a new low with the over modeled Camo.. . . .  the invisible ships in the game when they firing and you can't see them.

What? OWSF was removed so long ago... not sure what you mean by ships firing while being invisable... alsowtf do you mean by over modeled camo?

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,905 battles
5 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

There is no stealth firing anymore. The only way you can get shot at without  being able to see the shooter is if there is a smokescreen or island in the way

Could have fooled me. It happens a lot, never done a count but figure about three in five games I shot at by the 'ocean'.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279
[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,975 battles

I don't think he's talking about OWSF. Just last night I got to witness a Leningrad firing in open water but not being rendered for like 10 seconds. It was absurd.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
928
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,497 battles

A lot more of this in higher tiers. It usually involves islands or smoke but sometimes you're just having HE rain down on you from ghosts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,521
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

Shells do appear a few seconds before the ships that fired them. However, the ship should draw in afterward (and you should see its mini-map icon immediately).

If not, then you actually had no spotting on the ship due to an island, smokescreen, or simply being outside the ship's visibility-while-firing range (possible if it wasn't shooting at you). If you have a replay, people can point out which it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
Just now, KalishniKat said:

A lot more of this in higher tiers. It usually involves islands or smoke but sometimes you're just having HE rain down on you from ghosts.

 

1 minute ago, Flashtirade said:

I don't think he's talking about OWSF. Just last night I got to witness a Leningrad firing in open water but not being rendered for like 10 seconds. It was absurd.

 

4 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

Could have fooled me. It happens a lot, never done a count but figure about three in five games I shot at by the 'ocean'.

Sorry just remembered a bug i do in khaba sometimes...

IF a ship is sailing towards you and is OUT of your max range (notice you will not be able to target that ship with guns so yojr dispersion would be LOOOOOOOOOOL)

but you could still technically OWSF if you stay out of gun range of target and constantly take shots so they land on the ship when it enters your gun range 

(this technique is quite hard to do)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles

So yes OWSF is still in game but never to the extent of which it was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
353
[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,785 battles
20 minutes ago, MAJ_DUNDEE said:

I think the game has made a new low with the over modeled Camo.. . . .  the invisible ships in the game when they firing and you can't see them.

I recommend reading the WoWs wiki section on DETECTION: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection :

 

Although nearly 6 months old,  I also recommend watching this from NoZoupForYou that brought the changes to smoke in 0.6.12:

 

Edited by daVinci761st

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,029 posts
9 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

 

 

Sorry just remembered a bug i do in khaba sometimes...

IF a ship is sailing towards you and is OUT of your max range (notice you will not be able to target that ship with guns so yojr dispersion would be LOOOOOOOOOOL)

but you could still technically OWSF if you stay out of gun range of target and constantly take shots so they land on the ship when it enters your gun range 

(this technique is quite hard to do)

Not really a bug, but I do that a lot too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
9 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

I recommend reading the WoWs wiki section on DETECTION: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection :

 

Although nearly 6 months old,  I also recommend watching this from NoZoupForYou that brought the changes to smoke in 0.6.12:

 

THAT WAS SIX MONTHS AGO? HOLF [edited] time flys....

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
289
[DRG_N]
Members
424 posts
582 battles
28 minutes ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

If it’s obvious they’re sitting still, I just fire back where they’re firing from. 

 

 

Besides, do you want to be constantly spotted so several ships can constantly shoot at you the moment you’re in range?

 

Life of a battleship player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,541 battles

I think there is a rendering bug. I often will see smoke and wake from a ship, but not the ship itself. Very frustrating. While the ship will eventually render in open water, ir you are trying to get a shot while it is passing between islands, or smoke screen, out of luck.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,419 posts
8,276 battles
36 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

There is no stealth firing anymore. The only way you can get shot at without  being able to see the shooter is if there is a smokescreen or island in the way

True, open water stealth fire is no longer an implemented aspect of game mechanics.  However, bugs or rendering problems aren't characteristics or aspects of game mechanics and balance, they're technical problems. This game has many glitches or bugs. Most people know this. Maybe you aren't one of those people?

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
605
[HINON]
Members
2,580 posts
18,824 battles

A few times I noticed ships taking an unusual amount of time to render, for maybe 4 or 5 seconds one can only see shells flying out of the ocean.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,230
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,589 battles

This error is VERY frustrating.

You see the shells coming out..  then exhaust smoke and wake..  no ship..  THEY SHOULD BE THERE BUT THEY ARE NOT.

The rendering never happens and they go back into concealment 5 seconds after firing.  I never get a weapons lock.

It is either a) RNG sez screw you.. you lose..   or b) Lag Spike generator tagged to weapons fire.

Only happens on 'special' people.  I turn these 'special' people in as suspects for using a Lag Spike.

.....

 

 

Edited by AVR_Project
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
644 posts
4,271 battles

The rendering problem drives me nuts. It's a big problem when I know there is a ship behind an island, I know it's going to be visible momentarily as it passes by an opening...and by the time it's rendered, it's passed the opening and I don't have a clear shot any more. This is what I'm talking about:

Spoiler

1 = When the red ship goes out of view
2 = When the ship SHOULD render
3 = When the ship does render

Untitled.thumb.png.e40fe5107d10b1bd638d803d6c66df9a.png

Sure, I could practice and try getting good at firing where the ship is going to be...but my gunnery skills are never going to be that good. By the time I'm able to line up the shot on the visible ship, my shells will be hitting the second island.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,550
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,840 battles
1 hour ago, MAJ_DUNDEE said:

I think the game has made a new low with the over modeled Camo.. . . .  the invisible ships in the game when they firing and you can't see them.

I think in many cases it is a graphical issue. Smoke screens do not render on my machine at certain distances, as I close in they appear. So the ships were not firing without a smoke screen. Also, it may be a line of sight issue. If they are not being spotted by another player they car fire all day and will not be spotted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
404
[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,143 battles

It's mostly a graphics things that's been getting worse. The render time for ships is ridiculous now. Often a cruiser will get spotted on the map. I see it, turn my guns, and by the time it renders, he's unspotted again. Really frustrating.

Also, smokescreens don't render at minimum and maximum zoom at most engagement distances. Thus it often seems that the open ocean is shooting at you. Zoom halfway in and poof, smokescreen.

It's time for a little graphics optimization I think

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,905 battles
1 hour ago, JessieTheKitty said:

 

 

Sorry just remembered a bug i do in khaba sometimes...

IF a ship is sailing towards you and is OUT of your max range (notice you will not be able to target that ship with guns so yojr dispersion would be LOOOOOOOOOOL)

but you could still technically OWSF if you stay out of gun range of target and constantly take shots so they land on the ship when it enters your gun range 

(this technique is quite hard to do)

Tx to both you folks. It is NOT a distance thing, as I am a brawler, the ships are fully visual as I approach them, then they just 'disappear'.  I am open to correction, but the range never more than 5 klicks (my base line Torp range). And it is usually CA's, not DD's.

As an aside, when I get sunk (often!) I watch the game play to learn, I have twice watched torpedoes appears out of the water and hit ships, one friendly and one Red. There were No RPT NO ships/birds in vco. This is in Co-op, I cannot play random due to third world server problems. I am inclined to believe there is a 'bug' that needs to be sorted. Certainly, it is impartial. Kills Reds and Greens.

Thanks for input. Appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,521
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles
10 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

I have twice watched torpedoes appears out of the water and hit ships

Torpedoes are only visible once they get close enough to spot them. Some can be spotted far away, while others aren't visible until they're quite close. It depends on the type of torpedo.

As for cruisers appearing at 5km, that's very strange, and a replay would help us understand what you're seeing.

Edited by Edgecase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,833
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,155 posts
14,555 battles

"Destroyers coming out of thin air 2km away from my Battleship!"

"Ship cloaking devices are OP!"

"I can't see who's shooting at me!"

"Missouri's accuracy, guns are nerfed!"

 

These kind of threads are part of the reasons why I love this board!  It's even better when veteran players are making them :Smile_teethhappy:

3 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Torpedoes are only visible once they get close enough to spot them. Some can be spotted far away, while others aren't visible until they're quite close. It depends on the type of torpedo.

As for cruisers appearing at 5km, that's very strange, and a replay would help us understand what you're seeing.


You'll never find proof.  The beauty with all these kind of threads is there's never any proof.  You have to take their word for it.  The only "evidence" they have is the rage when they make these threads.

 

Remember the thread about the clan that lost a clan battle with the counter for the opposing team at 999 and killing their last enemy ship?  At least the OP in that thread had proof.  We found the claim wrong but it was quite understandable.  They uploaded the clip of the end of the match and we could see what was going on.

 

The other threads, like this, have no proof.  These threads are also prone to mega-exaggerations.  Stuff like "Some DD appeared at 2km away and torped me!" is a bunch of exaggerated horsesh*t.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×