Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

It's "Des Mine"

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,123
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,194 battles

So I got to Des Moines. Finished the line just about in time for it to split and have to do 4 more ships. LOL :Smile_facepalm:

Have played a few games so far and to be 100% honest I am kind of underwhelmed. :Smile_amazed: This reminds me a lot of when I got to Cleveland. Playing against Cleveland I always hated it and yet couldn't wait to get one of my own. Same with DM. Now that I am there it is like oh no this feeling again. YAWN.  I mean it is ok and all but seriously it seems very mediocre. I only have one other T10 Cruiser which is Minotaur. That thing is a flat out beast. I didn't expect Des Moines to be that good without smoke and torps and all but dang I thought it would be better. :Smile_sceptic:

Probably just a case of it needing to play in a way I dislike/am not good at plus me being a Co-op player. Bots don't let you sit and spam HE from the back/behind islands for long as they just keep charging ahead. I have a full concealment build on it (CE+CSM1) but that only goes so far and the 2nd you are detected you become target #1 and melt pretty quick.

Took me a while to adjust to NO and Balt too when they were new so I am sure I will get better with DM. I figured it would be close enough to Balt that there wouldn't be any learning curve but it sure feels like there is one?

Oh well, at least I finally got there.

If any of you that read this play it in Co-op wouldn't mind some tips on how best to use it in Co-op.

I set it up like this...

Consumables:

  • DCP I (default)
  • Repair Party II (I have a bunch of them so will use until they run out then will use the regular one) 
  • Hydro (AA good enough without Def AA plus see next)
  • Spotter (I know for PVP this would be Radar no question but I find in Co-op Radar isn't much help while Spotters are)

Upgrades:

  • MAM1
  • DCSM1
  • AAGM2
  • SGM2
  • CSM1
  • GFCSM2

YOPtrnN.jpg

urFVDfY.jpg

 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,375
[-K-]
Members
5,097 posts
8,970 battles

Nice work.  Did you grind up to her all the way in co-op?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
8,076 posts
17,037 battles
20 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So I got to Des Moines. Finished the line just about in time for it to split and have to do 4 more ships. LOL :Smile_facepalm:

Have had it since late 2015, early 2016...

Can't deal with the garbage that is T10 gameplay; can't deal with paper napkins being better in almost all respects than real steel; can't deal with that it might as well have a wooden hull for all the good the armor does; and can't deal with half or more of the Reds deciding they want to shoot at me, no matter what I do for concealment.

Haven't used it in Randoms for over a year-and-a-half; doubt I'll ever do so again.

For being the ship I started playing the game to get, it's been worthless. The related bitterness and disappointment are likely why I have no goals in WoWs, no desire to reach the endgame ships; and am just wandering around the tech trees aimlessly.

(-)

Good job getting there; may you have a better attitude, better teams, better RNG, better driving and map sense, and better aim than I apparently ever had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[OGF]
Members
137 posts
10,409 battles

Been where you are many times..."if only I had THAT ship"...more hp, faster, better guns, more gizmos.  Then I grind my way there to find...meh.

Bought Scharnhorst and found heaven.  Farmed credits like crazy with it.

Ground my way to Des Moines this week and found no meh.  I love it, and I do my best work with this tool.

I don't play coop anymore; I've progressed to randoms, ranked, and now clan battles.

For me, successful play style with Des Moines is to find a protected position early, not too far forward.  Use radar to help spot DD's for combined fire with our own DD's.  Move to another protected position when necessary or to support the situation.  Only later in a match do I roam and fire on targets when the possibility of getting focused is lower.  ONE of the most important things about Des Moines is the ability to strategically effect the battle.

All ships have limitations but I've found a great match for my mindset and skills in Des Moines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38
[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
200 posts
3,872 battles

Sorry to hear of your disappointment... Well, not really.

I love mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,681
[TBW]
Members
6,353 posts
11,894 battles

She was my first tier ten but Yes, underwhelmed I was. Tier ten is basically my goal and then on to the next goal. I don't play tier 10 much. Congrats AT.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
428
[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,581 posts
3,918 battles

Okay, I just got New Orleans, so I don't really have anything productive to add to the higher level, game play discussion here, but:

1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Consumables:

  • DCP I (default)

Dude, seriously, at tier 10, spring for DCP II.  It's almost never not worth it.  I run it on *ALL* my ships, all the way down to tier 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,123
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,194 battles
4 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

Okay, I just got New Orleans, so I don't really have anything productive to add to the higher level, game play discussion here, but:

Dude, seriously, at tier 10, spring for DCP II.  It's almost never not worth it.  I run it on *ALL* my ships, all the way down to tier 1.

If I played Random I would but I play Co-op. The games are shorter and the payout is way less. 22,500 for DCP II can be the entire profit some games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,123
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,194 battles

 

1 hour ago, mohawkdriver said:

Hindenburg > Des Moines

Yeah I am working towards it but am only to Hipper. I got all the T10 BB's 1st and am now getting the Cruisers there. 2 T10's and 7 or T8 in the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,123
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,194 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Nice work.  Did you grind up to her all the way in co-op?

Mostly. I played some Random early on but only 170'ish games in total with over 6K in Co-op. Last US Cruiser I played in Random was Cleveland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,123
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,194 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Have had it since late 2015, early 2016...

Can't deal with the garbage that is T10 gameplay; can't deal with paper napkins being better in almost all respects than real steel; can't deal with that it might as well have a wooden hull for all the good the armor does; and can't deal with half or more of the Reds deciding they want to shoot at me, no matter what I do for concealment.

Haven't used it in Randoms for over a year-and-a-half; doubt I'll ever do so again.

For being the ship I started playing the game to get, it's been worthless. The related bitterness and disappointment are likely why I have no goals in WoWs, no desire to reach the endgame ships; and am just wandering around the tech trees aimlessly.

(-)

Good job getting there; may you have a better attitude, better teams, better RNG, better driving and map sense, and better aim than I apparently ever had.

Thanks. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,123
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,194 battles
1 hour ago, Moondoggie52 said:

Been where you are many times..."if only I had THAT ship"...more hp, faster, better guns, more gizmos.  Then I grind my way there to find...meh.

Bought Scharnhorst and found heaven.  Farmed credits like crazy with it.

Ground my way to Des Moines this week and found no meh.  I love it, and I do my best work with this tool.

I don't play coop anymore; I've progressed to randoms, ranked, and now clan battles.

For me, successful play style with Des Moines is to find a protected position early, not too far forward.  Use radar to help spot DD's for combined fire with our own DD's.  Move to another protected position when necessary or to support the situation.  Only later in a match do I roam and fire on targets when the possibility of getting focused is lower.  ONE of the most important things about Des Moines is the ability to strategically effect the battle.

All ships have limitations but I've found a great match for my mindset and skills in Des Moines.

Unfortunately, Co-op games don't play out the same as Randoms do. What works well there does not always work well in Co-op (and vice versa). I don't think Des Moines is a very good Co-op ship because of the way it needs to be played. Radar is not the great tool in Co-op that it is in Random either. I just need to find a way to use what strengths it has and apply them to the different meta of Co-op. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Pigpen_721 said:

Sorry to hear of your disappointment... Well, not really.

I love mine.

Hey that is cool. Different ships work for different people. I hope some day to make this work for me and enjoy it. Spent a lot of time and actual money on it so I better. LOL.

54 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

She was my first tier ten but Yes, underwhelmed I was. Tier ten is basically my goal and then on to the next goal. I don't play tier 10 much. Congrats AT.

Thanks. I actually play T10 Co-op a lot but in BB's.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
428
[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,581 posts
3,918 battles
12 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

If I played Random I would but I play Co-op. The games are shorter and the payout is way less. 22,500 for DCP II can be the entire profit some games.

Ah - I had not remembered that (I've read many of your posts).  Carry on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,681
[TBW]
Members
6,353 posts
11,894 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Thanks. I actually play T10 Co-op a lot but in BB's.  

I have very few games with tier ten in co op. I might have to give it a try for a while. I generally like low tiers in co op especially the Derzki, so fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
280
[RKN]
Beta Testers
958 posts
8,771 battles

Yeah, randoms are another kettle of fish; DM really shines there. I could see how you like Minotaur more in co-op: bots don’t torp your smoke, use spotter plane to snipe you in it, and don’t focus you like randos do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145
[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
416 posts
12,659 battles

Ahoy AT,

I run DM with the following upgrades:

  1. MAM-1
  2. DAAFM-1 (special upgrade, if you don't have this DCSM-1 would be the next best thing)
  3. ASM-1
  4. SGM-2
  5. CSM-1
  6. GFCS-2

Consumables:

  • DCP
  • DAAF
  • Radar
  • RP

 

Similar to your build, the only exception is that you've got DCSM in slot 2, and AAG-1 in slot 3.  I can cover AA duties with Def-Fire and with the prolonged duration.  Aim-Sys helps with the dispersion at the extended ranges from GFC.

I agree that radar is less useful in Co-op than Random, but radar gives visibility to 9.9 km during a cyclone, and x-ray vision through mountains.  This has been a huge boon countless times for me. 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,123
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,194 battles
2 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Ahoy AT,

I run DM with the following upgrades:

  1. MAM-1
  2. DAAFM-1 (special upgrade, if you don't have this DCSM-1 would be the next best thing)
  3. ASM-1
  4. SGM-2
  5. CSM-1
  6. GFCS-2

Consumables:

  • DCP
  • DAAF
  • Radar
  • RP

 

Similar to your build, the only exception is that you've got DCSM in slot 2, and AAG-1 in slot 3.  I can cover AA duties with Def-Fire and with the prolonged duration.  Aim-Sys helps with the dispersion at the extended ranges from GFC.

I agree that radar is less useful in Co-op than Random, but radar gives visibility to 9.9 km during a cyclone, and x-ray vision through mountains.  This has been a huge boon countless times for me. 

 

Thanks.

I have a lot of ships with Radar and I usually find myself wishing for a spotter lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
982
[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,210 posts
10,225 battles
22 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

 

Yeah I am working towards it but am only to Hipper. I got all the T10 BB's 1st and am now getting the Cruisers there. 2 T10's and 7 or T8 in the rest.

Once you get past the Hipper, all will be well.  The Roon is a huge step up and the Hindenburg...well, you'll love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,123
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,490 posts
10,194 battles
2 hours ago, mohawkdriver said:

Once you get past the Hipper, all will be well.  The Roon is a huge step up and the Hindenburg...well, you'll love it.

I actually like Hipper & Prinz Eugen. Yorck is kind of the one so far in the line T5+ I haven't really cared much for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
671 posts
2,201 battles
26 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I actually like Hipper & Prinz Eugen. Yorck is kind of the one so far in the line T5+ I haven't really cared much for.

Yorck is a very odd duck in the German line and it's a bit jarring.  I enjoyed the T5 and T6 German cruisers far more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
982
[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,210 posts
10,225 battles
5 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I actually like Hipper & Prinz Eugen. Yorck is kind of the one so far in the line T5+ I haven't really cared much for.

Yeah, the Yorck was a test of patience and will.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
842 posts

OK, so I ground up the US Cruiser tree finally. Got the Des Moines, and used my Missouri to retrain a 10-point captain I got from the Campaigns for it.

So, mind you, this is the VERY FIRST game I've EVER played in the Des Moines.

My current module setup is this:

 Consumables.jpg.abcf04bb2414af354796f8fdd29c90bf.jpg

I don't have anything in those other two slots, because I'm still trying to determine what I think is good and bad about the Des Moines.  It's either DCSM2 or SGM2 for the first slot - I'll have to see if I think being more nimble is better than being less fire-prone.  The second empty slot my choice is really AAGM3 (for super-ultra-monster AA) or GFCSM2 (for 18km vs 16km range) - probably gonna pick AA, since I don't think I'm gonna be pretty good at hitting stuff out past 15km. I'm not picking the traditional ROF buff there at all, since the 5.5 second reload is already excellent, and I want good turret rotation for CQB with DDs and CLs. 

Now, I'm an idiot, and forgot to check my Consumables before heading off to battle. So, what do I do?  I've got the special Radar extension module mounted, and instead I mount fighter plane.  Duuuuuuuh. Luckily, I have DAA picked by default.  And I forget to mount any premium consumables. Not off to a stellar start there, moron me.

 

And my captain is a lowly 10-pointer with the basics:  PT, AR, SI, CE

I really do want EM and AFT on there soon, so I should play it more, especially if I can get THIS result:

 

MainScore.thumb.jpg.d38c8fef9d3185a346797d9d24cf03a2.jpg

TeamScore.thumb.jpg.e242309f6dba969c75b27e28d7c61af5.jpg

detailed.thumb.jpg.f3a18a5901c6f48d694118eb5a52e185.jpg

 

Note, those results are are with NO economic flags mounted at all, only the +100% daily win bonus.

 

Now, granted, I'm a pretty good, but far from unicum, cruiser player. About a 55% WR in cruisers over the past year, with a damage average about 50k. 

But this was a total massive game for me, including raping the enemy Essex's planes. Still didn't get a Clear Sky or such, of course, because those are practically impossible even in a ultra-high-end AA cruiser.  Also didn't get any of the various awards, because this wasn't a "I'm so much better than every one else, I'll just carry everyone" kind of match - good solid play on practically all the people on my side.

 

So yeah, if you click in the Des Moines, it can be glorious.  :Smile_izmena:

 

Oh, and here's the replay if anyone is interested:  20180415_010029_PASC020-Des-Moines-1948_37_Ridge.wowsreplay

Rolling comments/critique from me:

  • 18:45   I'm slow starting, as I had to answer the girlfriend's questions first. So I sit there for 75 seconds doing nothing. :-(
  • 17:30, I realize I don't have radar mounted. Duhhh. I first fire at the Shima.
  • 17:10 I'm firing at the Neptune, even though I originally intended to do the Montana. Oh, and yes, I check to see that enemy Montana didn't have it's guns on me before I turned.
  • 17:00 I see the Minotaur 8.4km away, and decide to go for him.
  • 16:55 it's a Mino, and I've got the time, so let's see how that DM AP works, right?
  • 16:45  Oops. Didn't pay close attention. I just presumed he was sailing forward that direction, when it turns out he was actually BACKING UP that way. So I vastly over-estimated his speed, and missed by quite a bit.
  • 16:38  Mino obligingly stops while visible, just before smoking. I switch to aiming at the middle of his ship, and fire right before he disappears from view. Works like a champ:  
  • 16:28  I go to hit radar, because, hey, 8km ship in smoke, RADAR HIM!  then remember I'm an idiot and only have a fighter plane.  But the Mino obliges by giving me an excellent view of where his shells are coming from, so I can just blindfire at him well anyway. The Monanta does the same thing, and we obliterate him.
  • 16:10 the Mino dies, but a juicy Neptune decides to charge right towards a Des Moines and Montana at under 8km.  broadside. Spanking!
  • 16:00 I trigger the DAA just a bit late - needed to do it 10 seconds earlier to help the friendly Montana
  • 15:17 The dumb neptune dead, I'm looking at the enemy Montana, who's closer than I through. PANIC!  I can't follow my friendly Montana without risking grounding broadside to the enemy Montana, so decide to keep turning right, hug the island, and bow-tank at close range and hope to survive.
  • 14:58  I get lucky and the Montana's guns are pointed elsewhere, and then our CV torp drops him. Which stops him from coming around my side of the island. I'm in a perfect place to not get shot. But, conversely, I can't shoot the Montana, either.
  • 14:35  Realizing there's no shot on the Montana, I shoot the Gearing who's obligingly directly in my line of fire, just far enough away for my guns to clear the rocks.
  • 14:09  My team (specifically the Bismark) nicely takes out the Montana for me. So, it's back around that end of the island for me, and looking to shoot the Gearing or NC directly north.  I keep AP loaded, because I'm hoping to catch the NC broadside.
  • 13:35  yeah, the AP wasn't a smart choice. NC is angled too much for good results, and that's an ugly looking smoke screen shooting stuff out.  Switch to HE
  • 13:15 I slow down so I can stay in range of the incoming air strike, and stay well angled against the NC, as well as not getting to close to that smokescreen.
  • 12:40  NC and smoked DDs were shooting at the Bismark, and kill him. NC doesn't switch his fire to me fast enough, and between my HE and the torp planes, he dies. Smoked DDs are now firing at me. Again, could REALLY HAVE USED RADAR MOUNTED NOW, idiot me.
  • 11:50 Finish off the DD that my CV is kindly spotting when he leaves his smoke. Now concentrate on the Zao, which is slow moving. Switch to AP, but my aim isn't really too goo here.
  • 11:30 spot the Zao's torps incoming, unfortunately, the PEugen is heading north on a parallel course to me.  Either he doesn't see the torps right away, or is slow to turn.
  • 11:18, that's an INTENTIONAL ram on my part, I'm hoping to ram and push the PE to the side enough to cause the torp to miss us both. It almost works.:Smile_amazed:
  • 10:58  yeah, that's me, hitting DC even though I'm still easily in range of a Zao. 2 fires on me already, and I don't want to risk leaving that.  It's a debatable choice. Fortunately for me, I get away with no fires.
  • 10:40 That Zao is kicking my [edited]. The Hindy isn't helping matters either, and I can't seem to score well on either, so I head north to screw up their firing solution by using that island.  But wait!  There's a Yugumo for me to shoot at. Load HE and fire away!
  • 10:10  Again, I'm late with using my DAA. Can't stop the torp drop on the friendly Z-52, and he dies. Totally my fault, should have hit DAA 10 second earlier, I need to do better about realizing my AA has a LONG reach. I shred the planes afterwards in revenge, but not a good trade.
  • 9:55  The enemy Zao and Hindy looks like they're going around the end of that island, and will be broadside to me. Switch to AP to hope to one-shot them both.
  • 9:30 my swinging wide means I get missed by the torp spread. I realize that the Shima is over here and stalking me.  But, time for that later, I have to deal with the Zao.  And I get a one-shot kill.  The Hindy is smart, sees what happened to the Zao, and decides not to come around the end of the island broadside. Especially since that Shima spotting me tells him exactly what I'm doing.
  • 9:15  Frankly, I make a dumb move here. I didn't want to fight the Hindy directly, I decide to circle around.  Stupid.  Should just have kept going north, but slowed down a bit, letting me bow-tank the Hindy if he came into view. That would have put me in better position to hunt both the DD and CV.  Instead, I waste almost a minute doing a 360.  The CV does throw his remaining planes away by trying to attack me.

Hope that all helps!

 

Edited by EAnybody
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60
[AAA]
Members
401 posts
5,179 battles

Forget the he range module. Get main bat 3. 

Dump he AA module. With AFT it’s chemo for sky cancer. 

Park on an island or sit with the bbs and focus fire. 

Its a patient ship not a free ocean sailer. Out in the free space she is toast. Patience cover and a good ship plan and she racks up damage

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51
[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles

I've only played mine a couple of times since getting it because I wanted to progress other nation's cruiser lines to tier 7 for playing scenarios, but the couple of times I played the Des Monies I had really good fun with it.  I like ships with lots of fast firing guns and I don't mind their high arc or "floaty" nature, ships like the Cleveland, Atlanta and Des Monies are my go-to ships.

Actually, if you count Space Battles, then I have played the Des Monies a bit more as I always picked the Galaxy.  Love it, most players don't take you seriously, thinking they can always dodge your shells but what they don't realize is that what I lack in accuracy I can make it up in volume for fire.  The ship is also quite sturdy if you angle and don't take insane risks with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×