You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Is the USS Texas worth it?

31 comments in this topic

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

How well does she perform in the current game? I've watched some old videos of it and back then it did seem like a decent ship, not sure if it's still the case now. Is it hard to play for someone used to New Mexico / Colorado / Queen Elizabeth? Does current matchmaking totally screw it over? How well does she perform against T6 and T7? On maps such as Strait, Estuary, Neighbors, Shards etc?

Edited by Zionas

[HYDRO]
Members
1,286 posts
3,653 battles

At that point in the game, only Giulio Cesare and the Kamikaze clones don't care that much about being uptiered. That said, she is basically a New York with pitiful secondaries but crammed with AA. I personally don't like her because her speed is pretty restrictive. You can read LWM's review on the ship, I don't think it has changed much.

However, during April the Texas is offered by the twitch prime loot system. https://blog.twitch.tv/twitch-prime-members-get-even-more-loot-for-your-fleet-in-world-of-warships-c07f14b8bce1

You can get it for free by doing the trial period.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
11 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

However, during April the Texas is offered by the twitch prime loot system.

Dang, thanks for that info!  +1!  B9LiPag.jpg

I signed up for the Twitch stuff last month...I didn't know more was available this month...a free premium ship, at that!  Very nice!!!

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

Which Tier 5 BB is most capable of doing well in a Tier 6 or even 7 match? Would Texas perform better than Kongo? If I'm forced to play against higher tiers, how do I cope in the Texas vs. say, Kongo?

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
465 posts
5,415 battles

No. It's not worth it unless it's free (I bought mine >.<). I CAN have fun in it IF I div up with a good CV player, but I've only played it recently for the free Twitch stuff and I'm reminded why it sits in port a lot. Buy a Texas over a GC and a puppy dies somewhere. Buy it over an Arizona and a bag of puppies dies somewhere. You see where I'm going with this...

Edited by HeathenForay
  • Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,712 battles
1 hour ago, Zionas said:

How well does she perform in the current game? I've watched some old videos of it and back then it did seem like a decent ship, not sure if it's still the case now. Is it hard to play for someone used to New Mexico / Colorado / Queen Elizabeth? Does current matchmaking totally screw it over? How well does she perform against T6 and T7? On maps such as Strait, Estuary, Neighbors, Shards etc?

True Texas is slow and has a small amount of secondaries but she holds her own when things are tight.

She is more than a match against any tier 5 BBs save Guilio Cesare or Kongo because of their speed, against higher tiers things get tough but again I say still has the guns to match them.

I like her so that's my 2 cents

regards  

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,200 posts
6,428 battles
20 minutes ago, Zionas said:

Which Tier 5 BB is most capable of doing well in a Tier 6 or even 7 match? Would Texas perform better than Kongo? If I'm forced to play against higher tiers, how do I cope in the Texas vs. say, Kongo?

The best T5BB in a T7 match is without a doubt the Cesare, but that Comes at no surprise. Other than that, the Kongo is a very goo ship in T7 due to her Speed and ability to blap Cruisers within her MM spread. Texas in T7 is just going to get bullied by everyone. Your armor is thin, HE Spammers drool when they see you and overmatching makes life a pain.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,191 posts
4,521 battles

Do you like New York?

Do you want a New York with tier 7 AA? 

I have Texas but I live in Texas.

[SAA]
Members
812 posts
26,716 battles

My Texas is just like the real one, rusting away in port never to go to sea again.  I dont sell her for sentimental reasons.

[PVE]
Members
492 posts
4,063 battles

She is great at T5, if you like USN BBs (slow top speed). She uptiers horribly though. Scharnhorst, Atlanta, Cleveland, etc can eat her alive and with that slow speed there is practically nothing she can do about it, just like the NY.

[PVE]
Members
1,222 posts
4,732 battles

They say you fly the last plane you were in so when I play Texas I have to re think my aiming lead my map positioning vs speed etc.. shes a good ship but compared to Amagi or Tirpitz she constantly reminds me why I avoided the USN BB line up to NorCal. 

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,980 posts

She has aged badly, doubly so with the terrible MM that Tier 5s deal with.

[-K-]
Members
5,038 posts
8,925 battles
1 hour ago, MasterDiggs said:

She is great at T5, if you like USN BBs (slow top speed). She uptiers horribly though. Scharnhorst, Atlanta, Cleveland, etc can eat her alive and with that slow speed there is practically nothing she can do about it, just like the NY.

She is suited ideally to the T4/T5 MM brackets.  Anything higher and she struggles badly.  However, against the plethora of low tier carriers that are always lurking around, she is the best BB in that range to eat those planes alive.

57 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

Indeed.  Ships like Iron Duke and Giulio Cesare definitely outclass her by a significant margin.  I wouldn't say she is unplayable, but her wonky dispersion, woeful speed, and squishy armor leave something to be desired.

[STW-D]
Members
1,835 posts
5,651 battles

All of the above is true.

With that being said, I still enjoy playing her, especially when donning the freedom camo.

Also hilarious when an enemy CV DOES target you.

[ING]
Members
6 posts
8,183 battles

I avoid playing this ship because the low speed is really annoying and takes away from the fun. But on the odd occasion I forget the painful bote speed the guns and range may surprise me.

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,424 battles
14 hours ago, TornadoADV said:

I got mine in a Xmas gift box 2 years and she was fun then but not so much anymore. I'm up to Tier 8 ships and still enjoy playing Tier 5 BBs but not so much her anymore. The lack of speed and gun dispersion is annoying. I usually ripple fire her 5 gun turrets. Her AA is good but not great imho.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles

It's still one of the top tier 5 battleships although the Guilo is dominating average damage still. That said if no CVs are in play the NY is a better ship, it has more range (Texas didn't get the range buff NY did several patches back), better rudder shift and is a knot faster.

I use my main USN captain most times unless in retraining, that captain is John Doe (turret rotation buff), with BFT, AFT and CE being the main skills. I running Plotting Room on my Texas because that extra range is very helpful in bottom tier matches. Even with that I can still embarrass Kaga and other tier 7 CVs enough that they usually only attack me once before moving on

If you "get" the USN BB line then you will love the Texas, if you don't really like the line then you probably will not like the Texas. I love the line and are some of my best preforming ships so me and the Big T get along great

[DRACS]
Members
3,339 posts

Texas/New York still has the strongest gun broadside at tier 5, with exceptional range if you have the range mod equipped. But she uptiers horribly because her lack of speed makes it very difficult for her to disengage from a fight with higher tier ships. And her firing angles to get all turrets into the fight is horrible. But if you pick your fights and don't lead the pack in higher tier games, you can do fine. Last game I played in her was a tier 7 match and I came out of that with 3 kills and nearly 100k damage. I suspect the reds didn't consider me a threat because of her rep and seemingly left me alone as I wrecked face ;)

I personally rather like the Texas. 

[RKN]
Beta Testers
932 posts
8,737 battles

For what it’s worth, when I play Texas I’m usually never bottom tier and when I am there’s usually just one or two tier sevens. She’s worth abusing the free trial of Amazon Prime and signing up for twitch to get her.

[CB-77]
Members
167 posts
1,387 battles

I got it free from Twitch, then did the missions to get the Twitch camo. The guns just felt insufficient for the tier, pulling 30k damage from a random battle was a real chore. Add that to the super slow speed, which can leave you isolated for DDs to pick off. The upside was the AA, its amazing.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles
1 hour ago, Praxz said:

I got it free from Twitch, then did the missions to get the Twitch camo. The guns just felt insufficient for the tier, pulling 30k damage from a random battle was a real chore. Add that to the super slow speed, which can leave you isolated for DDs to pick off. The upside was the AA, its amazing.

It has the heaviest broadside in tier 5 with the best penatration guns, one of the fastest velocity shells for tier, second most accurate with the second farthest range, how are they insufficient?

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

The only saving grace of Texas is her AA.  That's important because Tier IV-V CVs are a regular thing.

However, she is still as slow, as poorly armored, as slow as New York.  Wait a minute, I said she was slow twice?  Just making sure.  She's slow.  She shares NY's poor citadel protection and the same poor secondaries.  Matchmaking is also unkind to Tier V.  Even the puny 283mm guns on Scharnhorst will seriously wreck NY / TX all over the place.  She eats penetrations and citadels quite easily.  Considering how slow they are, NY / TX cannot save themselves no matter what.  Cruisers, Battleships, doesn't even matter what gun size.  They are all extremely dangerous to NY / TX.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Bad 1

[FF]
Members
7 posts
1,601 battles
On 4/13/2018 at 7:00 AM, HeathenForay said:

No. It's not worth it unless it's free (I bought mine >.<). I CAN have fun in it IF I div up with a good CV player, but I've only played it recently for the free Twitch stuff and I'm reminded why it sits in port a lot. Buy a Texas over a GC and a puppy dies somewhere. Buy it over an Arizona and a bag of puppies dies somewhere. You see where I'm going with this...

Damn I killed a puppy last year :(

In all seriousness, I have fun with it. Stats wise its nothing great aside from AA but if played correctly it does pack a punch. if you can squeeze broadside shots in without risking getting yourself destroyed it can deal some massive damage.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts

She's actually decent.  She's consistently underrated.  Sure, when compared against OP monsters like GC, she comes up short.  But all in all she's a solid Tier 5.  The no-fly zone she projects is also hilarious.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

People can't accept the truth apparently that Texas is a NY-class and has the same issues as NY, except for AA :Smile_teethhappy: