You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Landsraad

Pleasant Surprises: Ships you love that you never thought you would.

53 comments in this topic

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Title says it all really. Is there a ship in game that you love, but didn't really give a second thought at first, or just didn't really know about? Is there a ship you thought would be bad or meh that just turned out to be a blast? Well share it here! For me there are a couple. I'll admit to not knowing a lot about naval history before getting into Warships, and that was mostly just some of the big US ships with a few names like "Hood", "Yamato", and "Bismarck" thrown in there. So here we go.

Dunkerque: Who knew bow-tanking could be so fun! Love this ship. Her guns, her mobility, and her look too. Man the French sure make some good-looking ships. I can't wait to get the Richelieu on the live server now, having confirmed on the public test that yes, she is in fact Dunkerque 2.0 with speed boost and no real traps.

Nurnberg: Honestly the whole reason I got to this ship is "Eh, I like German designs and medium tanks, may as well try the boat equivalent." And then I found easily one of my favorite ships in the whole game. High rate of fire, nice zippy platform, and kiting with those turrets is just so much fun when people fall for it. Honestly the only reason I'm not putting Roon here instead, being basically a giant Nurnberg, is that she's Dev-made.

Aoba: This ship just feels RIGHT to me. I don't really know how to explain it, but everything just sort of hangs together perfectly about her. The guns are strong enough, she maneuvers nicely, the only real complaint is those torp angles and I hardly use torpedoes anyway.

Graf Spee: So THIS is what people mean when they say "pocket battleship." I approve. Yeah I've already gushed plenty about Graf Spee elsewhere. Guns that hit way above her weight, decent speed, hydro and torps to deal with pesky DDs, and a heal all in one package. Yes I know these are all tier 6, I don't know how it happened it just worked out that way.

• Cool 1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
1 minute ago, Landsraad said:

Title says it all really. Is there a ship in game that you love, but didn't really give a second thought at first, or just didn't really know about? Is there a ship you thought would be bad or meh that just turned out to be a blast? Well share it here! For me there are a couple. I'll admit to not knowing a lot about naval history before getting into Warships, and that was mostly just some of the big US ships with a few names like "Hood", "Yamato", and "Bismarck" thrown in there. So here we go.

Dunkerque: Who knew bow-tanking could be so fun! Love this ship. Her guns, her mobility, and her look too. Man the French sure make some good-looking ships. I can't wait to get the Richelieu on the live server now, having confirmed on the public test that yes, she is in fact Dunkerque 2.0 with speed boost and no real traps.

Nurnberg: Honestly the whole reason I got to this ship is "Eh, I like German designs and medium tanks, may as well try the boat equivalent." And then I found easily one of my favorite ships in the whole game. High rate of fire, nice zippy platform, and kiting with those turrets is just so much fun when people fall for it. Honestly the only reason I'm not putting Roon here instead, being basically a giant Nurnberg, is that she's Dev-made.

Aoba: This ship just feels RIGHT to me. I don't really know how to explain it, but everything just sort of hangs together perfectly about her. The guns are strong enough, she maneuvers nicely, the only real complaint is those torp angles and I hardly use torpedoes anyway.

Graf Spee: So THIS is what people mean when they say "pocket battleship." I approve. Yeah I've already gushed plenty about Graf Spee elsewhere. Guns that hit way above her weight, decent speed, hydro and torps to deal with pesky DDs, and a heal all in one package. Yes I know these are all tier 6, I don't know how it happened it just worked out that way.

Gascogne sorta surprised me. I knew what to expect for the most part, but I didnt realize that it handles itself so well when it comes to speed and maneuverability. It basically handles like a prenerf Tirpitz when it was first released. The accuracy of the guns is also a significant bonus.

[OPRAH]
Members
1,027 posts
6,572 battles

Pensacola.  I had a lot of fun with that 'ole girl.  I decided to sell her though because I have the Indianapolis.  Her AP is awesome and ever since they buffered her detection range, she's been a real pleasure to work with.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,423 posts
3,673 battles

Low tier French BB's. I figured I'd love the high tiers but I've yet to get past T3 because I like it so much lol

Heck, the T6 French premium cruiser. Suprisingly I don't like the German BB's that much so far.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,227 posts
8,431 battles

When I was new at the game I played the Myogi and Kongo and never thought I'd like them... but two years later they are some of my favorites.

More recently... maybe the New Orleans? I generally don't like cruisers because I think BBs are too strong and I'm not very good, but playing the various ships in Clan Battles this season and last season really prepared me for this ship. I first played it in the last ranked season and I felt like I knew exactly what to do. I think the hug-an-island-like-your-waifu playstyle rewards precision and patience, whereas the more typical kiting-at-range playstyle rewards timing and reaction, and I very much prefer the former. 

[AXANR]
Members
3,362 posts
16,553 battles

Didn't like Clemson when I first played through her in 2016...went back a year later after watching the Eurobeat video and now she's my second-most-played ship ever and highest WTR/win rate ship. 

Lately it's the Republique. I was happy to stop at Alsace, which I loved...saw enough CCs hating on Republique and it looked rough enough that I had no interest. Then I tried her on public test server and fell in love. Now she's my best tier 10 BB by far. I get she has some major flaws and she's quirky, but she fits my playstyle perfectly. She can brawl like a champion, but is fast enough to flex across map when needed and accurate enough to be workable when you get in one of those tier 10 campfest matches where you just can't get your team to push with you. I am undecided if I'll take her into ranked as I don't know if she'll work well in that meta with her high detection and low hp (you can only angle against so many ships at a time, and she's less tanky than any of the other t10 BBs so angling is life), but in randoms she's amazing. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,486 battles
42 minutes ago, Zionas said:

How do I play Dunkerque well and get the most out of her? I'm used to the playstyle of the USN dreadnoughts and the RN Queen Elizabeth.

Sail her backwards :Smile_teethhappy: Honestly look over a few youtube videos, like urpeacekeeper etc. Or alternatively a live stream .

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
4,001 battles

Omaha.

My previous Tier 5 cruiser grind was the Emerald, and I thought "Oh God, here I go again; at least I have HE." 

She turns out to be surprisingly good. A bit flimsy, true, but the guns are reasonable in rate of fire and very good in range, especially when fully upgraded, and the ability to lay HE down on battleships at long range and set them on fire before ducking away is something the Emerald could never do; it lets me feel as though I can hit back meaningfully, and that made all the difference. I've taken her into Tier VI/VII-heavy matches and walked away with twice my own HP in damage, and I have no fear of being uptiered in her AT ALL.

The B hull has two triple torpedo launchers on each side, and the torpedo capability in tight corners is not to be sneezed at even if they are not your primary weapons.

This ship fills me with confidence. I ground through her in TWO DAYS with premium time, and the thought of grinding through her again to get the Tier VI US light cruiser after the split is not an unpleasant one. 

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,674 battles

Normandie. At first, all of our attention was focused on Lyon, about that ludicrous 16 gun salvo, of how much shells can we land on the target. Well, but on my way to it Normandie was a very pleasent surprise, and I think she isn't much worse than the Lyon.

Sure, you get 4 less guns, but that's still 12 guns at tier 6, pretty average. Combined with her excellent penetration characteristics for a gun of such caliber, very comfortable arc and shell time, and much better gun handling, and being one tier lower, Normandie's firepower even feels more substantial than the Lyon. 

Plus, Normandie is just overall a more ideal platform. Her armor values is equal to that of Lyon's, yet she's shorter and much more nimble, and quite honestly she handles more like Graf Spee than any other lumbering tier 6 super dreadnoughts. Except for AA, Normandie...

Members
155 posts
10,078 battles

Yugumo with TRB, its not a ship that gets much attention but I have a 58% winrate in this thing compared to The Flecther at 47%.

[NOOOB]
Members
1,441 posts
12,100 battles

2nd vote for Perth, got it from a X-mas crate - who knew crawl smoke was soooo fun

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
296 posts
3,107 battles

Biggest surprise for me was New Orleans. I skipped Pensacola as I’d heard nothing good about. Being pretty crap with cruisers (and most other ships) I expected to hate this one but I WANT the Des Moines. I like the NO even though I still have to improve massively in it!

Alabama - I’ve hated all the US BB’s up to New Mexico and haven’t gone any further yet but the Alabama if amazing and can hold its own even in tier x (which it seems to see A LOT!!)

Graf Spee and Prinz Eugen - Love Graf Spee so much I have the HSF version as well as the regular version! Prinz Eugen I love more than the Hipper. Perhaps it’s just the history that surrounds it

Gulio Caesar - what can I say?? I was seriously off the mark on this one!! It’s such a joy to Captain and triple cits on Pensacola’s when uptiered make it even better :cap_haloween:

[RKN]
Beta Testers
958 posts
8,779 battles
4 hours ago, SaidNoOneEver said:

Pensacola.  I had a lot of fun with that 'ole girl.  I decided to sell her though because I have the Indianapolis.  Her AP is awesome and ever since they buffered her detection range, she's been a real pleasure to work with.

I’m with you on this one. Got her in open beta and wasn’t impressed. Got her in live and she grew on me. Really like the ship, to be successful in her you have to fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

Edited by SavageTactical
  • Cool 2

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

There are a bunch of ships that I did not expect much from, that ended up be a lot of fun.

South Carolina. I picked her up to do the Mikasa "kill" missions. I was new to the game, and couldn't seem to kill much in my cruisers. I did not yet have any DDs. She is a friggin beast at Tier III. Eats DDs like nachos, and though slow as molasses, she can turn on a dime, and torpedo-beat like a champ.

Fuso. I did not expect to like her. I very much disliked the "look" of this ship. She has that ridiculously exaggerated pagoda mast (I call her the Party Giraffe) that is goofy as hell.... However, MAN can she play this game. Fast, nimble, good reload, soooo many gun tubes.... soooo comfortable to play. She jut rocks at Tier VI. I have a 60% winrate in Fuso, with well over 100 games played. 

Mogami. I really wanted to like this ship because the Suzuya is one of my favorites. I had a 1/700 waterline model of her. Unfortunately, everyone in the forums complained about the slow turrets, and about how squishy she was. I held off. I had reached Myoko, but was in no hurry to grind up to Mogami.

Then WG buffed the turret rotation, and I decided I needed to try her out. I think I was like 0-12 in my first dozen matches and did not survive any of them. I re-evaluated my playstyle and made some adjustments, and  started doing better. Once she was fully upgraded, she was my favorite ship. This boat is flat out fun. Annihilates DDs, starts fires like a crazed pyro-maniac, and sending 16 10k torps into a smoke cloud  is a real hoot.

Fun thread

Edited by Skarp_AGW

[-K-]
Members
5,110 posts
8,979 battles
2 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

Lately it's the Republique. I was happy to stop at Alsace, which I loved...saw enough CCs hating on Republique and it looked rough enough that I had no interest. Then I tried her on public test server and fell in love. Now she's my best tier 10 BB by far. I get she has some major flaws and she's quirky, but she fits my playstyle perfectly. She can brawl like a champion, but is fast enough to flex across map when needed and accurate enough to be workable when you get in one of those tier 10 campfest matches where you just can't get your team to push with you. I am undecided if I'll take her into ranked as I don't know if she'll work well in that meta with her high detection and low hp (you can only angle against so many ships at a time, and she's less tanky than any of the other t10 BBs so angling is life), but in randoms she's amazing. 

I have to admit, I'm completely on board with this statement.  I thought Alsace was the end game for me as well, but I really do enjoy Republique for all the reasons mentioned above.  She doesn't look that great on paper, but she just works for me.  Very fun ship.

Other mentions:

Colorado

Yes, another notch in the dreadnought-heavy USN BB line.  And with only 8 guns after using the 12-gun shotgun that is New Mexico/Arizona duo seems like a downgrade.  But those 8 guns hit like a truck.  The key is to knowing how to position yourself in advance because if you get too close or too far away, her speed does not allow you to correct very easily.

Ibuki

Another ship that suffers a numerical gun downgrade from the 155mm Mogami.  Plus, she lives in the shadows of the powerful Zao, which makes her seem like the bad middle child of the upper tier IJN cruiser line.  But honestly, if you play her like a Japanese heavy cruiser should, she can dish out a great deal of pain.  Just remember that her armor is basically imaginary and play accordingly.

Izumo

Can't say I loved Izumo, but I did actually kind of enjoy grinding through her.  I suppose having low expectations due to her reputation helps that along.  Another middle-child ship straddles between the gems that are Amagi and Yamato, she can be a very capable ship if you figure out how to play her properly.  Just don't expect to bow-tank like a Yamato and excel in her.  I liked her speed and always kept moving with her.

Yorck

The German cruiser oddity of the line, as she plays so different than the rest of them.  As in, her HE is actually a viable primary armament choice.  But I found that she really starts to shine later in matches where you can get within 10km and brawl.  At close ranges, her AP is devastating, and combined with good hydro and torps, she becomes a close range menace.  The key is just surviving until those opportunities can be exploited.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,757 posts
9,488 battles

The most recent is the Richelieu.

How I imagined Richelieu would play:

Screen+shot+2012-07-09+at+7.09.01+AM.png

How I found the Richelieu actually plays:

4090193-juggernaut.jpg

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,674 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

4090193-juggernaut.jpg

First, he should be on fire, everywhere, all the time.

Second, he should be bi*ching about Musashi and Yamato lolpen.

:Smile_playing:

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,006 battles

1- izyaslav thought this ship was a pieace of crapbut then my old clan leader taught me how to play Russian dd's properly and yup...  shes a beast alright...

2- Well i H A T E D any IJN dd for a looong time... low HP, squishy as hell armor and bad guns just didnt play well when i started out... isokaze and mutsuki created holes in my wall...

now umikaze/ tachibana/ wakatake/ isokaze/ mutsuki/ fubuki i love

cruisers. Starting out i was a bb / dd main because I WAS SO BAD in cruisers and CV's. A lot of cruisers have gained a significant respect to them as i learned how to play them more correctly.

the biggest of these are:

3- emerald

4- Danae

5- Leander / perth

6- Belfast (i HATTTTED the ship when i first got it)

7- IJN cruisers

8- karlshure

9- wyoming and new york... these ships left a perment scar in my avg dmg and wr when i first started out

[DRACS]
Members
3,374 posts

Recently?

Gascogne. I got her because, as a general rule, I collect all tier 8 BB premiums. But reviews were luke warm. But oh man, she is so much fun. Her sheer speed means she flanks in a hurry and can cause a huge amount of panic within the enemy team when they realize they are stuck in a cross fire.

Makes me really want to grind out the top tier french BBs now. 

This is the opposite of Roma, which I thought for sure I'd love and ended up hating so very much, lol

[CRMSN]
5,373 posts
3,565 battles

@Landsraad

I bought the Kidd because I tend to keep / purchase real ships that existed in RL. 

That being said, I never thought I would fall in love with Kidd as much as I have.. I absolutely love that little ship its a beast machine.

[OPG]
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

I like pretty much every ship lately.