You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Low tier BB question?

36 comments in this topic

Members
207 posts
4,253 battles

I experienced low tiers by grinding the USN bb line but my question is what BB's tier III-V would be worth investing in? I here the Kongo is highly regarded what other ships are fun to play at those tiers? TIA

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

USN BBs aren't even decent until T6, and T8 is where they really come into their own. Tough it out a little longer.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,345 battles

If you include premium Tier V BBs, the Giulio Cesare is the most OP boat in the game with respect to its tier and a worth while investment if you manage to catch it the next time it goes on sale. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles

Wyoming is pretty fun at Tier 4.  Just plan ahead where you're trying to be, as it's a slow old tub.  Pretty tough, and inside 10 km, the 12-gun shotgun will hurt someone.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
7 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Wyoming is pretty fun at Tier 4.  Just plan ahead where you're trying to be, as it's a slow old tub.  Pretty tough, and inside 10 km, the 12-gun shotgun will hurt someone.

Always has been and still is my ‘Ole Reliable.’

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,467 battles
31 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I experienced low tiers by grinding the USN bb line but my question is what BB's tier III-V would be worth investing in? I here the Kongo is highly regarded what other ships are fun to play at those tiers? TIA

German's are fun to play. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles

They're actually all pretty fun to play, even Myogi, but, when you're brand new, they can be pretty painful.  

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
3 hours ago, Flashtirade said:

USN BBs aren't even decent until T6, and T8 is where they really come into their own. Tough it out a little longer.

Ah, that's subjective and depends with regards to being "decent". Coming into their own, I agree with though.

Now the USN BB "stock" Hulls are atrocious, though most, if not all lines are. With that said, the Wyoming can dish out some damage. On the US server, which is where I'm at and leveled, I average just over 35k in her with my top being 77k. Bare in mind that this was back during Open Beta when she saw Tier 6. However, a long time ago when I was in a clan who had an EU division, I decided to roll over there as well. Having experience already in the lines and then going back through from scratch, my average was up to 39k and top was 90k, but the limiter was set to Tier 4 already, so no more Tier 5 and 6's in the MM.

The Kaiser's average on the US server atm is 36k and the Myogi is 23k, while the Orion being 43k and the Courbet sitting at 38k. The Orion has the second least games however at 430k and the Courbet at only 10k, so both of those averages are going to fall more inline as more battles are played.

The New York, believe it or not, is a decent ship. Even though the "server average" has it on the very bottom at 28k, that is just that, the "server average". Personally I averaged 40k in her with a top of 109k, again this was a leveling ship, moreover the USN BB line was my first line I started when playing back in Open Beta. The Kongo only sits at 33k, Bretagne at 36k, Konig at 39k and Iron Duke at 40k. Again, UK and France have lower than average battles played compared to the others.

My point is, and again I am not disagreeing with you that at the New Mexico the USN line really starts to bare its teeth, but that each line has its own flavor and can do well if played to that. The USN line is great at tanking damage by deflecting/angling and can brawl. It can also deal out some damage, even at the lower levels. The Citadels and armor are harder to pierce by the literal "All or nothing" scheme that WG tried to mirror with the WW2 USN BB naval fleet. On the other hand, they have a shorter range, so they have to get closer and at their max ranges, their dispersion will bite you.

The IJN fleet to a better degree, is the opposite. They have a further range until Tier 8, have greater speeds and shorter reload times. However, their citadels are way easier to hit (Yamato excluded from this statement unless it's broadside, lol).

Anyway, I know that's a long winded post, but it boils down to what and how the OP or well anybody wants to play. Do they want to "brawl"? The German line is perfect for that... Do they want to be an all around type, ie: be able to tank damage (seriously - eat torpedo's, be on fire, etc.), dish damage, have decent AA? The USN line is perfect for them. Do they want to be a bit further out from the battle and have good accuracy line the actual BB's of old? Dish out some serious damage on the upper Tiers, be "the" flag ship (which is both a blessing and a curse), and have good speed for a BB? The IJN line is perfect for them.

It's all on what they want to do and how they want to play.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

Kongo, if played well, had pretty much no competition at her tier, but the grind to it can be painful. Kongo has good turret angles and can tank a Colorado at 10km reasonably well, has the best accuracy (not an achievement or great) and has the best effective range (range with 300+mm of pen). It’s tanky with lots of firepower, and is competitive even in T8 (div leader clicked battle while he had QE and me Kongo) matches, puny NC!

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,775 posts
12,891 battles
12 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Fun to play is subjective.  The ships are close enough in capability that a good player in the worst will outperform a poor player in the best.  At the moment, Cesare is the king of T5.  Part of that is because it is a good T5 BB.  The other part is because it is captained by mostly veteran players.  Good ship...veteran captains...T5....you can predict the rest.

Kongo has appeal because it's fast compared to the other ships in tier.  It also has range.  Speed...range....that's a good combo at T5 as well. 

I've found Texas appealing because of its AA capability.  Best T5 BB AA in game IMHO.  And it has good punch.

Although I haven't played the Duke lately, it has a storied history...and, I did pretty good in it running the UK line. 

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,493 battles
12 hours ago, NCC81701 said:

If you include premium Tier V BBs, the Giulio Cesare is the most OP boat in the game with respect to its tier and a worth while investment if you manage to catch it the next time it goes on sale. 

The Imperator Nikolai would like a word.  

And I highly doubt the Giulio will be on sale again.  The Nikolai will never be sold again. 

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts

All of you are wrong , comrades. Nikolai is the one boat above all others under tier 5. 

[YARRR]
Members
393 posts
4,729 battles
16 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

All of you are wrong , comrades. Nikolai is the one boat above all others under tier 5. 

At one point I totally agreed with you, but not any more.

The Nikolai's reputation gained in it's early days precedes it now into any match you take it into, and you are focused down early on and obliterated.

And heaven help you if an even remotely competent carrier driver in on the enemy team

Mine sits rusting away in port now .

Edited by ElAurens

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
1 hour ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

The Imperator Nikolai would like a word.  

And I highly doubt the Giulio will be on sale again.  The Nikolai will never be sold again. 

A Zuiho with manual drop would like to club your Nikolai, torps, flooding, damacon, fires, dead. 

• Angry 1

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,493 battles
1 minute ago, GabeTheDespot said:

A Zuiho with manual drop would like to club your Nikolai, torps, flooding, damacon, fires, dead. 

Zuiho can't do manual drops.  So that's out.

• Funny 1

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,287 battles

Kaiser and Konig devestate cruisers....Wyoming and NY I really like...Ishizuchi is a great T4 premium..Orion and Iron Duke burn the world down and Courbet is great. I hate Bretagne though.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,380 posts
10,163 battles

T3-T5 other than US I would say Germans and French. British too if you like playing BB's spamming HE like a Cruiser (I don't). IJN will be tough as the 2 worst T3 and T4 BB's in the game are Kawachi and Myogi. Line is good T5+ but T3-T4 is awful.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
8,995 battles

And that right there is an example of the knowledge of the general player base..... We are doomed...

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,493 battles
7 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

And that right there is an example of the knowledge of the general player base..... We are doomed...

How long has that been a thing?  Like 8 months now?

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
8,995 battles
3 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

How long has that been a thing?  Like 8 months now?

prolly a year

Edit: Looks like about March of last year apparently.

Edited by Ducky_shot

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,493 battles
9 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

prolly a year

Edit: Looks like about March of last year apparently.

:Smile_facepalm:

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

I know that, I ground through Zuiho without it, it was very painful, but it could when Nikolai was released. Nikolai can’t see Ryujo, so it can’t see CVs with manual drop. Even auto drops could do the job (it takes lots longer though).

29 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I reiterate this, I AM FULLY AWARE ZUIHO CANNOT MANUAL ATTACK. The patch that ended it was 6.3, and it was about 40-50 weeks ago, nearly a year, it could be more though.

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,493 battles
13 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

I know that, I ground through Zuiho without it, it was very painful, but it could when Nikolai was released. Nikolai can’t see Ryujo, so it can’t see CVs with manual drop. Even auto drops could do the job (it takes lots longer though).

I reiterate this, I AM FULLY AWARE ZUIHO CANNOT MANUAL ATTACK. The patch that ended it was 6.3, and it was about 40-50 weeks ago, nearly a year, it could be more though.

Then you shouldn't have said 

2 hours ago, GabeTheDespot said:

A Zuiho with manual drop 

In your first post.