Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Curly__san

Ultimate Frontier Tips

6 comments in this topic

[TURDS]
Members
552 posts
3,646 battles

Cruiser Group(south spawn point) 

0. Isolated, low on health and with limited/no options(all of them being bad by now) is not the time to decide you want to be the Great Communicator. 

1. Don't chase the DD's near the spawn. They will only run out of radar range and then smoke up. let them get sighted, then hit'em. If you have radar cruisers then light them up, otherwise drive on north.

2. Stay east of the island chain or you will get eaten alive by the BB's with the surviving DD spotting for them & harassing you. It is always always always a bad move. The only time I ever saw any ship survive that move was a Mahan, that got pummeled to a sliver, ran for the repair base & died from a single shell just as he got into the circle.

3. Focus fire that Cleveland fast. Don't forget to maneuver as the BB's will lob shells any time you are spotted. 3a. Be sure the BB that is supposed to be dealing with the Omaha & Atlanta in the NE does so, might need help.

4. While focusing down the old slow BB's; remember, there's a Pensacola coming through the channel. He charges through, then usually turns east & will savage light skinned cruisers if not dealt with quickly. Any surviving DD's will happily throw torps into the mix so don't be afraid to burn a hydro at this point if you're hanging around to fight.

5. Deal with the BB's & anything red in range on your way to the repair base. If you're low, discretion is the better part of valor. Any ship with 25% of health late game is better than no ship at all.

Folks feel free to chime in; especially for the North Spawn roles..

I'm running 2/7 on this run so far today & not liking it, no sir.

Members
8,075 posts
17,032 battles

Keep hearing things have changed?

Is there still a Cleveland that comes in middle/east pretty early?

The way we dealt with it originally was to boost a fast destroyer north; (Sims, Leningrad,) and nuke the thing either just before or just after it got on the map.

Before, it wouldn’t evade or fire until it got on the map, making such deletions easy as long as someone had the moxie to charge to near point-blank range from a Cleveland, (nuke/torp’em from orbit/3k... it’s the only way to be sure...)

[SPF]
[SPF]
Members
91 posts
9,183 battles

Yes, early spawn Cleveland is still there but not really the main problem.

The middle/late game spawns have changed and survivability of enemy ships buffed. Enemy is very focussed now (better targeting of damaged ships/forts / aerodrome). Going for the CV is much riskier now.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,445 battles
11 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Keep hearing things have changed?

Is there still a Cleveland that comes in middle/east pretty early?

The way we dealt with it originally was to boost a fast destroyer north; (Sims, Leningrad,) and nuke the thing either just before or just after it got on the map.

Before, it wouldn’t evade or fire until it got on the map, making such deletions easy as long as someone had the moxie to charge to near point-blank range from a Cleveland, (nuke/torp’em from orbit/3k... it’s the only way to be sure...)

You don't need to charge to point blank range. I torp it from max torpedo range on the way to the Atlanta with my Leningrad. See the replay.

Spoiler

[TURDS]
Members
552 posts
3,646 battles

Cleveland still spawns at the same point. The bugger is that by the time the Cleve & Pensy are dealt with I've been on teams that are down 1 or two ships already, usually CA's or an enterprising DD that chases the southern DD spawn into the death zone... I'm finding the second half of the scenario nigh impossible if you're down to only one cruiser by mid point on the clock.

Members
8,075 posts
17,032 battles
13 minutes ago, Curly__san said:

Cleveland still spawns at the same point. The bugger is that by the time the Cleve & Pensy are dealt with I've been on teams that are down 1 or two ships already, usually CA's or an enterprising DD that chases the southern DD spawn into the death zone... I'm finding the second half of the scenario nigh impossible if you're down to only one cruiser by mid point on the clock.

Using Sims is why I had to get close; Sea Mines, ya know. Didn’t have (and didn’t want,) Leningrad until one was thrown at me in a Christmas container.

As far as other ships I used; hate my Scharnhorst with a passion because I can never get anything close to what people brag about...

...except in Ops; no idea why.

After WG basically gave CV drivers the bird by putting so much DF in Ops it’s not even funny; I ran with Scharn and Nelson and did pretty good.

Made in German because enough speed to hammer NE Reds, then get back; and Tea Time! because of ‘You shot at me! You cheeky blighter! NOW DIE!’ toughness.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Funny 1

Sign in to follow this