You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

The Monarch did they make it bad on purpose?

17 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles

I have long suspected that Wargaming will put ships into lines that are SO bad, people are almost forced to spend gold to free XP past them. The Monarch is such a ship, it is so bad it reminds me of the Colorado before they buffed it. It isn't even competitive with T-6 ships let alone T-8 or almost always bottom tier in T-10 matches. I am so disgusted with this ship if I get in a bottom tier match in the Monarch I am just going back to port. It just isn't worth the effort.

[SYN]
Members
14,367 posts
10,228 battles

WG couldn't figure out what to put into T8.

Although, I would have happily accepted a T8 KGV with 10x 356mm guns or a T8 Nelson with 9x 406mm guns

Anything but these [edited] 9x 381mm guns

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,981 posts
7,645 battles

100k average and I got to Rank 1 in it. The only thing bad about the Monarch is the people playing it. The KGV is overpowered so even when played well the Monarch can look worse in comparison where its in a tier where there are very powerful BBs that out-perform tier 9s, but its still competitive even against all of the other T8 BBs.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,685 posts
15,193 battles

A dog is a dog....and this ship is a dog on half the maps we play on at higher tiers. To get anything out of Monarch all of the upgrades must put on her, B hull, engines, fire control, aiming module, concealment,  everything. Otherwise she is a floating target and must be played with great care, bows on at the edge of medium range for best results, using HE and concealment most of the time. With speed flags on her she just makes it when she is top tier, but that's just about it...I found Lion, upgraded, a much easier ship to play, and even King George V and Duke of York (as bad as she is made out) are better prospects, with the advantage of not seeing T10s half the time...

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,218 battles

Ship was boring, but fine, IMO

I shot a lot of AP and managed decent numbers, since the HE is on par with the North Carolina. The trick is to use the frankly ridiculous concealment to sneak up on cruisers and wreck them with AP.

The Lion is more of the same, by the way. It gets the super heal, and that feels like about it.

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

It seems that most lines have one ship that doesn't click with my play style.  Monarch has been my least favorite in the British BB line, but it wasn't a total basket case for me - just not as fun and not a ship I felt like I could carry in on a regular basis.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,430 battles
2 hours ago, Belthorian said:

I have long suspected that Wargaming will put ships into lines that are SO bad, people are almost forced to spend gold to free XP past them. The Monarch is such a ship, it is so bad it reminds me of the Colorado before they buffed it. It isn't even competitive with T-6 ships let alone T-8 or almost always bottom tier in T-10 matches. I am so disgusted with this ship if I get in a bottom tier match in the Monarch I am just going back to port. It just isn't worth the effort.

All time on WT it is number 7 for all tier 8 BB's with it's WR and 4th on DMG for all PvP and at least 1000 battles played in her.
One man's meat, is another man's poison. 

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,218 battles
36 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

It seems that most lines have one ship that doesn't click with my play style.  Monarch has been my least favorite in the British BB line, but it wasn't a total basket case for me - just not as fun and not a ship I felt like I could carry in on a regular basis.

So much this

But it seems that RN BBs have trouble carrying from VII and up. Something about the low HP pool and need to use concealment makes them melt when pushing...

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
2 hours ago, Belthorian said:

The ship isnt too bad. You do have to play it to its advantages however, if you dont you'll be heavily penalized. You have good HE, mediocre AP, and very good concealment/maneuverability. Its a weird mix but if you make the most of this combo - you can squeeze out 100k per game pretty easily.

*** Do NOT spam AP all the time. AP is very weak, has terrible auto bounce angles and becomes ever worse the further you are from your target. You also only have 9 guns, with pretty bad firong angles on the ship. Unless your enemy is under 12-14km and completely broadside, you probably shouldnt be firing AP at it.

*** DO use HE when the time calls for it. It may not be as good as the HE on the Lion, but it can still do fair damage and set fires here and there. When enemy BBs/CAs are well angled against you, your AP becomes virtually useless - you only have 9 shells, with bad accuracy and krupp. Even if you hit, you will either bounce or shatter on impact on someone whos well angled. 

*** Do NOT fire all the time, use your excellent concealment to get a better angle at your enemy. Monarch doesnt have the speed of the Gascogne, so it cant flank too well however it can hide and creep up on the enemy if you know what you are doing. Fire at the enemy and then hide to prevent taking return fire, reposition and wait. Then repeat. You want to be burning enemy BBs, or hitting them broadside with AP while at the same time dropping off from detection when the enemy shoots back/angles against you. This is something Monarch is very good at if you have the skill as a player. You can also force enemy CAs to fight at a disadvantage, as they cant burn you down from far away if they cant see you. With your excellent concealment, you can force them to fight you at 10-11km or simply convince them to shoot at someone else.

*** Do NOT ever go broadside to the enemy. Brits have terrible belt armor and high citadel until you get to the conqueror. Even when angled, KGV, Monarch and Lion take massive damage - do what you can to reduce that damage by angling as much as possible.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,666 posts
9,977 battles

I don't think they made her bad on purpose, they just invested a bare minimum of effort after throwing away any attempt at a T8 KGV very early in the testing process.

The ship is a lazy hull-clone of KGV (she shouldn't be) with identical concealment, HP, turning radius etc. She isn't that good, isn't that fun - being one of the worst BB in the game to close-in with - and synergizes poorly with herself (good concealment but spammy guns doesn't work well together).

Beta Testers
98 posts
11,872 battles
On 4/12/2018 at 11:51 PM, Ulthwey said:

The ship isnt too bad. You do have to play it to its advantages however, if you dont you'll be heavily penalized. You have good HE, mediocre AP, and very good concealment/maneuverability. Its a weird mix but if you make the most of this combo - you can squeeze out 100k per game pretty easily.

*** Do NOT spam AP all the time. AP is very weak, has terrible auto bounce angles and becomes ever worse the further you are from your target. You also only have 9 guns, with pretty bad firong angles on the ship. Unless your enemy is under 12-14km and completely broadside, you probably shouldnt be firing AP at it.

*** DO use HE when the time calls for it. It may not be as good as the HE on the Lion, but it can still do fair damage and set fires here and there. When enemy BBs/CAs are well angled against you, your AP becomes virtually useless - you only have 9 shells, with bad accuracy and krupp. Even if you hit, you will either bounce or shatter on impact on someone whos well angled. 

*** Do NOT fire all the time, use your excellent concealment to get a better angle at your enemy. Monarch doesnt have the speed of the Gascogne, so it cant flank too well however it can hide and creep up on the enemy if you know what you are doing. Fire at the enemy and then hide to prevent taking return fire, reposition and wait. Then repeat. You want to be burning enemy BBs, or hitting them broadside with AP while at the same time dropping off from detection when the enemy shoots back/angles against you. This is something Monarch is very good at if you have the skill as a player. You can also force enemy CAs to fight at a disadvantage, as they cant burn you down from far away if they cant see you. With your excellent concealment, you can force them to fight you at 10-11km or simply convince them to shoot at someone else.

*** Do NOT ever go broadside to the enemy. Brits have terrible belt armor and high citadel until you get to the conqueror. Even when angled, KGV, Monarch and Lion take massive damage - do what you can to reduce that damage by angling as much as possible.

This is awesome advice!!  Thank you for the insight. I have been struggling with this ship and this was like turning a light bulb on.  You sir are the very reason the forums exist for sharing ideas. I read this and reopened the game as I just closed it and was planning on going to bed. I played as you instructed, keeping these points in mind. I normally struggle to do my 60k average damage ....  keeping your post in the back of my head, I just did a 95k game effortlessly.  It would have been higher but I threw some AP down range at too great of a distance..  Thank you for being there..

dark.png

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,101 battles

Just my opinion, but I suspect that some ships are just better off playing in PvE than PvP. Perhaps Monarch is one of those ships? Thing is, I rarely see the Monarch in PvE. So maybe it is a clunker and people are just not playing it. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,410 posts
25,260 battles
16 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

Just my opinion, but I suspect that some ships are just better off playing in PvE than PvP. Perhaps Monarch is one of those ships? Thing is, I rarely see the Monarch in PvE. So maybe it is a clunker and people are just not playing it. 

Check the NA stats. Monarch is right in the center of the  BBs. It is not a good ship, but it is not a bad one. 

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,264 posts
7,725 battles

I've been playing the Monarch lately and don't find it bad. If anything a bit frustrating against 27mm bow cruisers because no overmatch but still playable and fun.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,791 posts

I found Monarch to be terrible, and I really tried hard to like it.

Thank god it wasn’t the only KGV that was in the game the way the Nelso guys wanted it to be.

KGV is now one of my favorite ships to play!