You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HorrorRoach

Hipper changes feel inconsequential?

8 comments in this topic

[EREKT]
Members
752 posts
5,758 battles

I like the rendering speed increase for ships. I think smoked cruisers and DD's are going to have to be a little more careful from now on, heh.

Anyway... The Hipper changes. The faster rudder does feel nice, but I was running dual steering gear mods. On the regular server I'd run concealment, so the minor rudder change wouldn't really be noticeable. The increased ROF... Doesn't seem to help much. If you look at this ranked battle I just played on PTS, you can see how 3-4 battleships basically ignored me, I think because my DPM didn't threaten their repair party cooldowns (plus, they know Hippers are hard to delete outright). I was alternating between ships, firing at the most broadside target usually... I did get a few fires, ended up doing 51k damage I believe. I think the reload should be 10.5s honestly, you aren't firing 3x4 like a Chapeyev or something. I could've fired more AP, but I think it would've been a wash with the HE at the ranges my targets were at. I'd rather get lucky with DOT on multiple BB's. They easily could've focused fired me to death, I was surprised I was able to sit behind the island for that long... And then I was able to kite away a surprising distance. One problem with such a long reload, is that it causes target ADHD for me... I have time to scan around for different targets that may be presenting a better broadside, I'll end up changing targets and shooting after 13s. Or, I'll shoot 2 of the guns at the original target, then swing the other two around and shoot at the new target. When I do remain tunnel visioned on a target, I instinctively started clicking around the 10.5s mark I believe.

The Eugen would have survived this battle much longer... I think it's going to be awesome with a survivability build. I think it'll be a pain in the butt for BB players in ranked now... Everyone knows the Eugen is one of the tankier cruisers, now she'll be healing and spamming HE from 17km away. It'd be interesting to do 1vs1's with the Eugen/Atago in the training room. Too bad you can't play premium ships in the PTS version, heh.

EJ

20180412_191108_PGSC108-Hipper_47_Sleeping_Giant.wowsreplay

Edited by HorrorRoach

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

The DPM increase will likely bring the average damage of the ship up by only a thousand or two. Rudder shift is fairly arbitrary on most ships. Stock BBs and Khabarovsk hurt the most from it imo, otherwise fairly moot.

[EREKT]
Members
752 posts
5,758 battles

I know, give the Hipper SMOKE. heh jk, idk... she needs a little something more then 1.5s faster reload. I wish they'd buff the torps to 8-10km or something, but then you'd have to give the Roon and Hindy the same thing, which would never happen obv.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,906 posts
12,441 battles

You expected a percentage DPM buff to suddenly make the ship play like a choir of angels chanting softly in your ear while miss universe gives you a shoulder massage and cherubs gently waft you with fans and feed you BBQ ribs between every salvo? It's a small DPM buff, it was always going to be a slight buff, a tweak, not make it a whole new ship.

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,218 battles

The Hipper never needed much to be good, IMO. It has good armor, good AA, usable torps, and shell selection mattered.

Now, her DPM is better, which also helps when switching shell types. She's not going to skyrocket too the top, but between having a little more wiggle and RoF in her, she'll feel a little more comfortable

I'd rather have the Prinz's heal, though, as Prinz is my most played ship.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i played hipper before the 1/4 HE pen and it did pretty well.    with all the buff since,  it should be plenty strong for t8.     frankly cruisers require  careful play anyway and at least hipper can tank a bit.     heal is better for tanking though for sure. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have both the Hipper and the  Prinz,both are great ships in the right hands with these Minor Buffs they will be hard not to play more.