You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KiyoSenkan

Thoughts on T10 Ranked

41 comments in this topic

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,155 posts
3,867 battles

Something I don't think I've seen discussed regarding this season fielding tier 10 ships from ranks 10 to 1.

With all the Ranked players piling into ranked this season in their tier 10 ships for the longest part of the ranked grind...

Tier 8 might be worth playing for a while.

Think about it: We've had a similar thing happen with tier 7 ranked-- Tier 5 ships suddenly stopped getting uptiered 60-70% of the time, and remained relatively fun for the duration of the ranked season. It only returned to normal near the end of the season when most players had either ranked out or gave up the ranked grind.

It's one thing to cry foul that tier 10 ranked excludes certain parts of the playerbase, but there's a definite potential silver lining, here. I might finally finish Mogami and get Ibuki.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 5

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,191 posts
5,662 battles

True, I am on the Monarch and it SUCKS. It would be nice to be the big dog in a match.

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,064 posts
8,834 battles

Can't imagine what will happen with my shim if I played in Rank.  Might the buff be in by then?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
30 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

Can't imagine what will happen with my shim if I played in Rank.  Might the buff be in by then?

I've heard Z-52 and the tier 10 Pan-Asian DD are the stars of competitive play at tier 10, never played the PA DD but I can certainly believe the Z-52 is a winner.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,096 battles

I'm annoyed about it. We just did a season of Clan Battles with T10s. Everyone in my clan including myself is really sick of it. I don't mind high tier ranked at all, but I wish they did T9 to change up things from what we've already been playing ad nauseum

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I am not going to participate with any tier 10's, They are far to expensive to take out for a very small reward.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

T9  would be cool actually.  lot of good botes, but   missouri would probably dominate the BB.   rest aren't as bad though

• Cool 1

Members
956 posts
11,153 battles
17 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

I'm annoyed about it. We just did a season of Clan Battles with T10s. Everyone in my clan including myself is really sick of it. I don't mind high tier ranked at all, but I wish they did T9 to change up things from what we've already been playing ad nauseum

Im looking forward to it because now I can play whatever and it relies less on strategy and more on individual mechanics.  After like 150 Des Moines games in clan battles I am ready to play another ship.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,096 battles
4 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I may stop at Rank 10 as I only have Minotaur at Tier 10.

What's wrong the the Minotaur? I don't understand why people all of a sudden now are acting like it's not a competitive ship.

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

I doubt I'll have my Hindenberg by the time ranked comes about, and I want that to be my 1st tier 10.  Oh well, maybe next time I'll try for that illusive rank out. 

[WOLF6]
Members
1,776 posts
4,804 battles
49 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I've heard Z-52 and the tier 10 Pan-Asian DD are the stars of competitive play at tier 10, never played the PA DD but I can certainly believe the Z-52 is a winner.

I can see both being good choices as long as the games lack CVs. They are both vulnerable to air attack. 

Gearing’s a little slow, but has good anti air, guns concealment and torps. If the games with CV are rare, I’ll probably flip to Yueyang. 

• Cool 1

Members
126 posts
303 battles

What’s interesting is that this announcement comes only a few days before the big free XP sale...Coincidence?

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Something I don't think I've seen discussed regarding this season fielding tier 10 ships from ranks 10 to 1.

With all the Ranked players piling into ranked this season in their tier 10 ships for the longest part of the ranked grind...

Tier 8 might be worth playing for a while.

Think about it: We've had a similar thing happen with tier 7 ranked-- Tier 5 ships suddenly stopped getting uptiered 60-70% of the time, and remained relatively fun for the duration of the ranked season. It only returned to normal near the end of the season when most players had either ranked out or gave up the ranked grind.

It's one thing to cry foul that tier 10 ranked excludes certain parts of the playerbase, but there's a definite potential silver lining, here. I might finally finish Mogami and get Ibuki.

Then you haven't been looking, dude.  It's a hot topic in many threads.

• Bad 2

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
37 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

What's wrong the the Minotaur? I don't understand why people all of a sudden now are acting like it's not a competitive ship.

Ummm, because eggshells have more armor than a Mino?  

Maybe a really good Mino player can do well, particularly if one gets a map with the right sort of terrain.  And a Mino might come in handy in any battle with a CV.  OTOH, once a Mino is spotted or you have a BB player who is very good at shooting into the smoke where a Mino is smoke-shooting, the Mino won't last long, to put it kindly.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,155 posts
3,867 battles
11 minutes ago, kagero__ said:

What’s interesting is that this announcement comes only a few days before the big free XP sale...Coincidence?

Nah that's an obvious sales tactic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
40 minutes ago, Thornir said:

They are both vulnerable to air attack. 

I would not agree that Z-52 is vulnerable to air attack.

AA Defense
128 mm L/45 Drh LC/413 х 2 pcs.
. . . Average Damage per Second 44.7 
. . . Firing Range 5.01 km.
37 mm Flak LM/427 х 2 pcs.
. . . Average Damage per Second 72.1 
. . . Firing Range 3.51 km.
55 mm L/77 Gerät 583 х 1 pcs.
. . . Average Damage per Second 51.9 

Those are BASE numbers WITHOUT any upgrades or improvements; certainly not a vulnerable ship, though also not a really long range one for AA. Once upgraded, Z-52 can hold her own against most CV air strikes.

• Bad 1

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,096 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

AA Defense

Those are BASE numbers WITHOUT any upgrades or improvements; certainly not a vulnerable ship, though also not a really long range one for AA. Once upgraded, Z-52 can hold her own against most CV air strikes.

I've tried an AA build Z52. It was garbage, even against lower tiered CVs.

• Cool 1

Members
956 posts
11,153 battles
5 minutes ago, Umikami said:

AA Defense

Doesn't have defensive and doesn't benefit from an AA build.  You would waste points that are better used on other perks.

Would be better bringing Groz or Gearing if you are having difficulty with CVs.  Hell even Yue is better.

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,671 battles
1 hour ago, Ju87s said:

The ship is fine and quite fun to play and powerful in the right hands.  I don't have much experience with her yet.  While I have only lost one battle at her helm, I did not survive to the end of any of them.

35 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Ummm, because eggshells have more armor than a Mino?  

Maybe a really good Mino player can do well, particularly if one gets a map with the right sort of terrain.  And a Mino might come in handy in any battle with a CV.  OTOH, once a Mino is spotted or you have a BB player who is very good at shooting into the smoke where a Mino is smoke-shooting, the Mino won't last long, to put it kindly.

I have no doubt that the right player can make a monster out of this ship.  However, I am not that player.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
9 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

I've tried an AA build Z52. It was garbage, even against lower tiered CVs.

7 minutes ago, MountainManxDan said:

Doesn't have defensive and doesn't benefit from an AA build.

We have definitely had different experiences with this ship.

• Bad 1

Members
956 posts
11,153 battles
22 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Considering that you have zero planes shot down in it, I would say yeah.

Experience isn't a factor in determining that it doesn't have the AA dps to stop either tier 10 CV.  Add the fact you have the worst smoke means the CV can ruin your life that much easier.  

• Cool 1

[--O--]
Members
186 posts
17,869 battles

imo it should never be t10, i would alternate between 5-8.

way too much radar and super hydro at t10 for it to be fun for dd players.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,096 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

warshipstoday might be borked, but it says you have only 5 games in the Z-52 and have 0 planes shot down.

[C-HAG]
Members
481 posts
7,690 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

z52 against CV is a joke. 

That bad maneuverability can't even dodge a single Midway torp squad