You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MarineDogTag

match making

8 comments in this topic

[7SEAS]
Members
8 posts
16,753 battles

I've wanted to post this for many months but just never take the time to do it.  I've finally had enough and just decided to go ahead and post my concern.  

Before I start to explain my concern I would like those who read this to know that I have thousands of battles in ships, hope to acquire the USS Black in next ranked season, and a fairly descent win percentage despite losing many battles as a noob when I first started playing.  I'm speaking from experience and not just venting.  I credit my increase in winning battles to Notser, Flamu, NoZoupForYou, and Jingles for the numerous videos they have provided on YouTube that has really made me a better player.

Ok, so here is my concern...Being a ranked 1 player, and having a descent win rate, does MM (Match Making) heavily weight you and your ship being placed on the team with lesser experience, skills, and WR?  I've noticed that its almost impossible to play a game in my BB's now days because my friendly DD's are the first if not all of them, to die immediately.  My friendly CV is almost always far inferior to the enemy CV.  Sometimes my CV is afk for the first few minutes.  Likewise with the nearest DD that spawns closest to me.  This happens FREQUENTLY.  I would go out on a limb and speculate the my win rate with a CV in the game is close to 25-30%.  Regardless of what ship I decide to bring to battle.  This was extremely noticeable during ranked battles a few years ago.  Femmenly, probably one of the best CV players in the game, I could not even win with her on my side, and when I opposed her, she easily defeated my team.  Those statistics are probably easy to find in the WG archives, but I don't have access or the capability of proving that information to back up my claim.  We must have played 20-25 games together or against each other during ranked season, and I would be surprised if I won 4 games.

1. I lose almost all my battles now days in my BB's despite being top XP or at least top 3 xp by the end of battle.

2. If I play a DD, my chances of winning are significantly increased.  However, I don't wish to play DD's constantly.  Its making the game no fun.

3. If a CV is involved, I continue to lose about 70% of my games.  No facts to back that up, but from memory, that aren't many wins.

Last of all, I notice that most of my team are not even ranked.  Sometimes I'm the only player on my team with a numerical rank.  While the other team will have 10 -12 players out of 15 ranked.  Don't even get me started on radar boats.  That's always favors the enemy.

Am I just in a 2 year slump, or am I not understanding something?  Below is my latest battle in a BB.  This is the straw that broke the camels back and finally made me post this thread.  I've had numerous days where I lose 6-8 straight battles in my BBs despite being top 1-3 xp and never said anything.  Just can't take it anymore.

shot-18_04.12_15_09.39-0498.thumb.jpg.4cd494c333c5b7f7ee2553a827212a9d.jpg

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts

DDs tend to have a greater influence on the match because if your dds die before the enemy dds, it's harder for a BB to push and fill that role. The MM doesn't look at ranks just ship tier and type. Though new MM rules are coming soon which might make things a little better.

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
9,006 battles

Considering you are looking at all outside factors out of your control before asking yourself questions about things you can control... I'd say the outside factors aren't the problem. 

Learn to play with radar ships and how to play against them

Learn to play against better cv players and try to keep your team together for better aa. 

• Cool 2

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,024 posts
10,186 battles

My win rate has been on a steady climb for the last 2500 games, this after a roughly 800 game sub 50% streak directly preceding it.  Is MM punishing you or rewarding me - no.  I figured out why I was losing solo, and then started winning at over 50% solo.  Then I figured out how to win around 55% solo pretty much all the time.  Then I learned that playing in a division with similarly skilled players ( 53-60% ) allowed me to win at a roughly 60-70% win rate.

So nope, you are not getting hammered by MM, there are things that you are doing that might be earning you xp, but are simply NOT helping the team win.  I have noticed many players who have hit rank 1, and expected them to have a real impact on the battle either for or against my team, and then seen them do all the wrong things to help their team win.  I think being good at ranked play requires you to learn to maximize your individual xp so that when you lose, you end up top and don't lose a star.  I don't think that play style leads to wins sometimes, why not submit some of your replays to Lord Zath in Kraken ( -K- ) and see if he can spot your faults - he is extremely good at highlighting simple mistakes/ misplays that people make and hurt their game.

Ninja'd By @Ducky_shot  :cap_viking:

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,345 battles
1 hour ago, MarineDogTag said:

Ok, so here is my concern...Being a ranked 1 player, and having a descent win rate, does MM (Match Making) heavily weight you and your ship being placed on the team with lesser experience, skills, and WR? 

Being ranked 1 makes no difference in the MM you get in random battles; and being ranked 1 doesn't mean anything with respect to random battles because the team size, ship tier, and general meta is different between ranked and random. What worked for ranked one may not work in random. For example, making a 3:1 trade with your ship at the very beginning of the game in ranked makes total sense because you grade 14% of your team for 43% of their. Same trade is only 8% for 25%. While this is still a pretty big advantage, the trade off isn't nearly as significant in random battles as in ranked battle.  

I'm not saying that you are not a good player, but I'm trying to emphasize that how you approach something in ranked, differs from how you should approach something in random. It seems to me, your beef with your random battle results are based on factors outside of your control. I'm going to guess that you know your ship well and know how to use it well. I think what you need to work on is figuring out how to work with random elements outside of your control. For example, if your team spawn on the side of the map that is preferable to say contest A-B caps but your entire team heads towards B-C. As dumb as your teammates might be, it's probably better to work with your team on B-C capping B-C so at the least your team have a chance at taking the caps and keep the game roughly even for you to turn the tables later in the game as opportunity arises. 

TL:DR - Work on getting more out of what you got rather than dwell on things outside of your control. You can improve the way you play with what you got, but you can't make random pub player #16432  a unicum. 

[AK-47]
Members
154 posts
3,104 battles

I really really hate going on a 5+ lose streak... specially when I know we could’ve easily won them all... 

[SYN]
Members
4,530 posts
11,433 battles

Just coming out of another long string of losing matches since early February until about a week ago, and now it's being followed up, yet again, by another win spike.

In fact, I've had a series of almost regularly alternating win-spikes and protracted loss streaks going all the way back to August of last year.  They transpired with almost machine-like regularity.

Now, I've always stopped short of blaming the matchmaker, as I've accumulated enough matches for events to ultimately average out.  Makes the losing no less frustrating to put up with, though.  Besides, it's not likely that anyone here actually knows how the matchmaker works anyway, so when looking at it all we can do is speculate.  If I honestly believed the matchmaker was fixing my win rate, then why bother playing the game at all?

Can't win them all, but at least the wins, when they come, are appreciated that much more.

• Cool 1