You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Very Impressed with Lyon

12 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,380 battles

Hmm, looks like I'm doing it wrong shooting AP :cap_hmm:

[-TKS-]
Members
280 posts
5,512 battles
8 minutes ago, pikohan said:

no your not, you obviously prefer devastating strikes and citadels more . why set them on fire when you can drown them.

but it is a fun ship . i like putting the speed flag on it and wan to get a 14 pt cpt for it badly .  Also wish it had that liner camo from the normandie. 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles
19 minutes ago, pikohan said:

No, you're not, piko.  That said, when I was getting dragged into tier 9 battles in the Lyon, I found that spamming HE against tier 9 BBs was an effective thing to do when her small main guns just didn't have the oomph to get consistent pens on them.

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

We can have both (set them on fire when they are bow on, hit them with AP broadside)!  So many guns = French Fuso.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
5,649 battles

I devastating strike cruisers so much in this boat I have been called so many nasty things. It is a GREAT ship.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,769 battles
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

I've found that Lyon has good AP ... for her caliber. There are times, however, when those smaller main battery guns need to be HE slingers, and thank RNGeezus those work very well also!

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts

It’s a great boat, right? I loved the kgv, liked the monarch and also love the conquerer. It is a fun grind and different enough from most other bb’s to avoid feeling repetitive. It’s almost dirty how badly this line punishes cruisers.

[TF16B]
Members
8,016 posts
16,964 battles
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

Kind of like with Bayern; I reached Tier 6 (with the T5-6 award ships,) and stopped...

...haven’t even played the t3 and 4 ships yet...

[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,651 battles

Just starting with Lyon.

I haven't gotten a good handle on the guns yet.  I mean, I was have trouble while trying (and not succeeding) to kill an Omaha.  Currently, I'm still better in my Normandie.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles
1 hour ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Just starting with Lyon.

I haven't gotten a good handle on the guns yet.  I mean, I was have trouble while trying (and not succeeding) to kill an Omaha.  Currently, I'm still better in my Normandie.

Just be aware that the Lyon's guns are very inaccurate.  The thing is though that because you have volleys of 16 shells, RNG is bound to land a few of those 16 shells on target, so things tend to balance out.

Just hang in there.  The Lyon is devastating vs cruisers because of her massive volleys.  When I'm in cruisers, I try to stay well away from any Lyon.  I'd much rather deal with one of the 16" gunned tier 7 BBs with their mere 8 guns than a Lyon and her 16 somewhat smaller guns.  Fewer shells in a volley are much easier to dodge than  a 16 shell volley.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
3 hours ago, pikohan said:

Lyon AP is only good at close range, usually anything below 12km. The sigma and krupp on the guns is terrible, anything beyond 12km and your shells will either miss completely or shatter on impact. AP on this ship is very situational.

I find it best to slap on the 2x +1% fire chance flags and just spam HE for the first 5-8 minutes of the match. 16 guns burn the enemy pretty hard even despite having very low fire chance. The simple fact that there are so many guns means you will be starting fires, at times 2x per salvo. Only switch to AP if you have someone go fully broadside to you at under 12km. Unfortunately, even slight angling will end up bouncing your AP.