You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

A request for the World OF Warships community.

103 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles

One week from now April 19th marks the anniversary of the darkest day in my life. On April 19th, 1989 I was serving as a gunners mate on the USS Iowa BB61 in 16-inch turret one. While conducting gunnery exercises off Puerto Rico Turret Two experienced a massive explosion that killed 47 men. So next week on April 19th, if you have an Iowa or Missouri in port, take them out and put some shells downrange in remembrance of my brothers. Make April 19th, 2018 an Iowa day!!!!!! UNLEASH The Big Stick!!!!!!

• Cool 41

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
582 posts

Would be only too happy to grant that request. 

Although I was not in the Navy yet, it affected everyone even 10 years later when I got in. It still does today.

Can't wait to visit Iowa in California to pay my respects.

Heres to fallen shipmates. Never forget!

• Cool 1

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

I remember seeing this on the news back then. A terrible tragedy. It's a reminder of the sacrifices made by servicemen and women every day to protect the freedom and way of life people enjoy. This is why you stand up for the flag and national anthem. 

Although I'm not American I thank you for your service sir. 

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles

Someone recently put up an inside tour of Iowa, including the memorial inside the ship for those men.

Fair seas.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles
13 minutes ago, jmanII said:

Would be only too happy to grant that request. 

Although I was not in the Navy yet, it affected everyone even 10 years later when I got in. It still does today.

Can't wait to visit Iowa in California to pay my respects.

Heres to fallen shipmates. Never forget!

I remember fighting the fires and looking up and seeing the Coral Sea just cresting the horizon, coming to our aid. I looked back up what seemed like five minutes later and she was alongside us. I always laughed when you read the "Top Speed" of carriers in books. 

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

I remember fighting the fires and looking up and seeing the Coral Sea just cresting the horizon, coming to our aid. I looked back up what seemed like five minutes later and she was alongside us. I always laughed when you read the "Top Speed" of carriers in books. 

I had friends in the navy.  I've heard of how quickly carrier groups get from Mayport to the Med, or even the Indian Ocean.

Those things can go a lot faster than what's published.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles
6 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Someone recently put up an inside tour of Iowa, including the memorial inside the ship for those men.

Fair seas.

I watched a good video from Adam the Woo, it was nice to see my birthing compartment. They leave the light on in Clay Hartwig's bunk.

• Cool 1

[NGA-B]
Members
1,196 posts
7,608 battles

Not a big fan of the Iowa-class (their dispersion feels terrible), but as the son of a navy man, I figure playing one game in my Missouri would hardly be too much to ask.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
228 posts
4,000 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

. . . put some shells downrange in remembrance of my brothers. Make April 19th, 2018 an Iowa day!!!!!! UNLEASH The Big Stick!!!!!!

consider it done

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,144 posts
8,762 battles
5 minutes ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

I have Alabama- 

Can I honor them that way with her?

I suggest for those who do not have the Iowa or the Missouri to take out whatever US BB you have, let's overload the MM with US BB's

• Cool 2

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles
10 minutes ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

I have Alabama- 

Can I honor them that way with her?

Yes the Alabama is BB-60 and the Iowa is BB-61, not quite sister ships but a lot of parts from the Alabama were taken and used on the Iowa when she was being reactivated. Your participation will be appreciated.

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
784 posts
5,764 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

One week from now April 19th marks the anniversary of the darkest day in my life. On April 19th, 1989 I was serving as a gunners mate on the USS Iowa BB61 in 16-inch turret one. While conducting gunnery exercises off Puerto Rico Turret Two experienced a massive explosion that killed 47 men. So next week on April 19th, if you have an Iowa or Missouri in port, take them out and put some shells downrange in remembrance of my brothers. Make April 19th, 2018 an Iowa day!!!!!! UNLEASH The Big Stick!!!!!!

USS Missouri will be on alert-status 5 on 4/19/18.

"Hit hard, hit fast, hit often!" - Lewis "Chesty" Puller, US Marine Corps

dark.png

• Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
481 posts
10,623 battles

In May 1989 I had my choice of several ships to serve on.   My first choice was Iowa.  My second choices were a DD and FF out of Pearl Harbor.  My wife threw a fit on me.  Not only had the Iowa just had this accident and she didn't want me any where near it,,, but she wanted to live in Hawaii.  Needless to say,,, we spent the next 3 years in Hawaii.

But the Iowa was always my first choice.

Fair winds and following seas to the 47.

[-BMV-]
Members
177 posts
13,244 battles

I dont serve in the Navy. Hell im not even American, but i recognize bravery, courage and duty. I will sail my Iowa on April 19.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles

Memorial Service Remarks, Capt. F.P. Moosally, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. `Iowa'

I remember turret two.

I remember their faces as they toiled at their guns, sweating an honest sweat that comes from young men dedicated to a great cause. Who chose to serve, to grow and to learn with others, while securing a place in history for generations after them.

I remember their strong hands as they wielded their great charges with an energy I could only marvel at. The energy of their youth which they channeled towards their love of freedom.

I remember as they talked among themselves, looking so much like sailors of our past, sharing the exuberance of the times and the dreams of the future.

I remember turret two.

They were the life, the spirit and the soul of our ship. They embodied the ideals of our history and the hope of a brighter tomorrow. They gave of themselves to the goals we all share, and they made the ultimate sacrifice for us. We will not, nor can we ever forget the lessons they taught us.

The crew of Iowa shared much with turret two. We shared their enthusiasm, their drive and their kindness. We worked side-by-side and shoulder-to-shoulder to build a team, a family, a common bond which can never be broken. And though they have left us in body, they will always remain within us.

We came together in times of trouble. We shared the good and the bad, the comedy, and now the tragedy. The grief we share with you their families, is deep, but we must go on. For we are the crew of Iowa. Permanently fused, like the steel of the ship we sail. Our sides are strong, our towers high and our course is set. We are the Iowa.

A part of every rivet, every plank and every line. We are the ship. She breathes through us, and she lives as a part of us. As long as she sails the seas we will be a part of her, a part of the Iowa spirit. That spirit lives, and the men of turret two will forever be a part of that living spirit.

• Cool 2

[PIZZA]
Members
708 posts
7,907 battles
2 hours ago, Belthorian said:

So next week on April 19th, if you have an Iowa or Missouri in port, take them out and put some shells downrange in remembrance of my brothers. Make April 19th, 2018 an Iowa day!!!!!!

I  will do it! 

[PHRA]
Members
78 posts
9,382 battles

It would be an honor to do so sir for those who lost their lives serving their country. Will take out my USS Iowa and unleash hell upon the enemy!