Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
slider37

So, I've been playing for free. Is there a doubloon-free future for me?

81 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
22 posts
2,778 battles

My win rate is 47%.  My kill ratio is 0.64.  I've been playing the KM DD/CA/BB and the Jap DD/CA lines.  I have only 1 captain per line, selling off the old ship and assigning the same captain to the new ship as I go up in tier .   My "highest" captains have only 11 skill points.  My highest ship is the Tier 7 Yorck, with which I have a pretty poor kill ratio at 0.39.  All other ships are T5 or T6.

And I have spent $0 in this game.  Everything I have comes from containers.

I have a feeling as I get into more T7 ships and above, the game might become less enjoyable because I will just get blown out of water sooner than later in each match.  Unless my skill level improves dramatically, which is not probable...

Are there any or many players in high tiers who have gotten this far without spending real money?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but having premium/doubloons/permacamos/premium ships won't make you any less likely to get dumpstered than you are right now.  You can continue to play for free with no problem, but some skill improvement is required if you don't want to get blown away so quickly.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

More grinding, it depends on how desperate you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles
Just now, Vangm94 said:

More grinding, it depends on how desperate you are.

This is part of it, premium and doubloons and premium ships are definitely quality of life improvements, but as far as making you a better player or improving your game performance in general, they won't do that.  High tiers will not be easy to play with a low skill level to begin with, and if you do not improve and you are a free player, you will lose money playing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
Just now, Deviathan said:

This is part of it, premium and doubloons and premium ships are definitely quality of life improvements, but as far as making you a better player or improving your game performance in general, they won't do that.  High tiers will not be easy to play with a low skill level to begin with, and if you do not improve and you are a free player, you will lose money playing them.

Main thing about World of Warships though, it is hard to not have money. This is not World of Tanks. In Tanks, I had no money at all to play any higher than Tier III (I could only get up to Tier VI). In Warships, I can constantly play and earn at just Tier VI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,352
[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
7 minutes ago, slider37 said:

I have a feeling as I get into more T7 ships and above, the game might become less enjoyable because I will just get blown out of water sooner than later in each match.  Unless my skill level improves dramatically, which is not probable...

Are there any or many players in high tiers who have gotten this far without spending real money?

As long as you're keeping that attitude, you'll never improve.

Spending on this game only speeds up your progress and gets you stuff.  It does absolutely nothing to make you "better" - that is completely up to you.

There are players who've ground to tier X and do well without premium accounts, and others who do very poorly with premium.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
12 minutes ago, slider37 said:

My win rate is 47%.  My kill ratio is 0.64.  I've been playing the KM DD/CA/BB and the Jap DD/CA lines.  I have only 1 captain per line, selling off the old ship and assigning the same captain to the new ship as I go up in tier .   My "highest" captains have only 11 skill points.  My highest ship is the Tier 7 Yorck, with which I have a pretty poor kill ratio at 0.39.  All other ships are T5 or T6.

And I have spent $0 in this game.  Everything I have comes from containers.

I have a feeling as I get into more T7 ships and above, the game might become less enjoyable because I will just get blown out of water sooner than later in each match.  Unless my skill level improves dramatically, which is not probable...

Are there any or many players in high tiers who have gotten this far without spending real money?

 

 

 

 

Find a Tier you like to play. Higher Tier's does not mean more fun or easier. I find that my favorite Tiers are Tier VI - VIII. Anything higher is salt, anything lower is a different set of tactics and smaller map. I play Ryujo, I play Fubuki, I play Richelieu because I find those ships the most fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,555
[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,672 posts
15,167 battles
20 minutes ago, slider37 said:

Are there any or many players in high tiers who have gotten this far without spending real money?

o/

 

Also, feel free to send me replays to review.  I'll give you direct commentary so you can improve!  Link in my sig.

Edited by Lord_Zath
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
38 posts
3,635 battles

I suggest stopping at tier 7 for now and work your way up some other lines. At Tier 8+ the gameplay changes drastically and credit earnings tank. Keep any tier 6 and 7 ships you enjoy for completing missions. 

I've bought a few premium ships, but I haven't really needed them to get credits at least through tier 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

I have close to 50 ships, 7 empty port slots, average 130M credits, and around 1200 dubloons and only spent $12.99 on  Kamikaze. 

Also have three tier 10 ships and other ships tiers 2-8. 

If you want to know how just ask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,035 battles

There are opportunities where you can save up to almost a week worth of premium time for free, by doing PTS, for example.

 

However, in order to best take advantage of the limited free flags and premium time, your win rate must be reasonably high. The reason is that so you can save up all the premium time, redeem them together, put on all the exp flags, then grind down a line within that time.

You can still take advantage of the free things, but just less efficiently with low win rate and most likely low battle performances. 

Credit wise, if you have 50% win rate, you can comfortably play mid tier 5-7 with premium consumables, indefinitely. If you improve your performances you can FTP your way to T8 without incurring net loss. 

 

 

Edited by NeutralState

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,053
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

My advice is buy back the koneiggsburg. It's a fantastic ship that punishes mistakes and will not be detrimental to your credits if you're playing for free and don't do well. If you want I'd be happy to play with you and point out where you can improve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Match Maker & Tactics Made Simple

  • Tier 1
  • Tier 2-3
  • Tier 3-4
  • Tier 4-5
  • Tier 5-7
  • Tier 6-8
  • Tier 8-10
  • Tier 9-10

This is what I rate when the tactics of each tier(s) changes. It is basically match maker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
113
[FTWRK]
Members
560 posts
3,497 battles
14 minutes ago, slider37 said:

My win rate is 47%.  My kill ratio is 0.64.  I've been playing the KM DD/CA/BB and the Jap DD/CA lines.  I have only 1 captain per line, selling off the old ship and assigning the same captain to the new ship as I go up in tier .   My "highest" captains have only 11 skill points.  My highest ship is the Tier 7 Yorck, with which I have a pretty poor kill ratio at 0.39.  All other ships are T5 or T6.

And I have spent $0 in this game.  Everything I have comes from containers.

I have a feeling as I get into more T7 ships and above, the game might become less enjoyable because I will just get blown out of water sooner than later in each match.  Unless my skill level improves dramatically, which is not probable...

Are there any or many players in high tiers who have gotten this far without spending real money?

 

 

 

 

Money spent mostly just allows you to gain more XP and Credits per game.  The improved performance from flags and camo isn't game winning.

Just know without spending money you will probably have to play 2 or 2.5 times as many games as someone who as a premium account, camo, and XP/credit flags since BIG wins can net you 5-9k from a single battle....

This game can be boiled down to 2 basic skills; positioning and aiming. If you are dying quickly it sounds like the issue is the positioning skill; which is probably the most important skill over in the game anyway since no matter how good you are at aiming good positioning is still part of the equation of doing good damage.

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
Just now, BlitzFalcon109 said:

Money spent mostly just allows you to gain more XP and Credits per game.  The improved performance from flags and camo isn't game winning.

Just know without spending money you will probably have to play 2 or 2.5 times as many games as someone who as a premium account, camo, and XP/credit flags since BIG wins can net you 5-9k from a single battle....

This game can be boiled down to 2 basic skills; positioning and aiming. If you are dying quickly it sounds like the issue is the positioning skill; which is probably the most important skill over in the game anyway since no matter how good you are at aiming good positioning is still part of the equation of doing good damage.

 

I'd another one to the Basic Skills

  • Positioning
  • Aiming
  • Enemy Intel (where the enemy is)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
326
[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles

If patient one can easily stay doubloon free. But you will miss out on some cool ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
660 posts
4,248 battles

You can absolutely play for free at least up until T8/T9. Don't have a T10 yet. 

However the truth is that without a premium account and/or special flags credit earnings tank once you hit those tiers. If you're a decent player you can run your T8s and T9s and still make money but realistically you don't make enough to fund the upgrades for those ships or to purchase the next ships in line. You'll need to keep lower tier ships to bank the necessary credits. If you're not a good player you're probably going to lose a lot of money playing at those tiers. On the whole it's absolutely possible to play for free in this game. WG is surprisingly generous about handing out credits, premium time, and even premium ships over the long-term. 

The Space Battles running right now are pretty good for instance. You can't lose money and can easily make 150k on a good win not to mention the elite XP. 

Edited by Rocketpacman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59
[-TKS-]
Members
283 posts
5,544 battles

i assume your talking random cause in co-op its easier  and besides Christmas containers  i was a "free" player until recently . got all the way to T7- T8 in  most lines that way. my highest captain is a 13pt  i think. i did it a little differently and harder possibly  every time i got a new ship i got a new captain . imagine playing a stock  Pensacola with a 3pt cpt .   Its not until these space battles that im able to change captains with elite xp since i wasnt spending 500d or 200k coin.  i think what really helps is not free xp'ing any ships. grinding ships give you more time  for experience and to earn the money  . since its not only the ship cost but its upgrades get pricey.  I dont think id have a problem playing tier x for free either just save some before you get in. 

 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,468
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,037 posts
12,517 battles

If you play enough, you'll get doubloons through in-game events and rewards, so a cash-free future doesn't necessarily mean a doubloon-free one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
307
[BNKR]
Members
645 posts
659 battles

If you want to spend money, do it because you enjoy the game and want to expand your fleet/consumables/whatever. Don't do it because you think it'll give you a leg up; that's a sure path to disappointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
2,778 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have close to 50 ships, 7 empty port slots, average 130M credits, and around 1200 dubloons and only spent $12.99 on  Kamikaze. 

Also have three tier 10 ships and other ships tiers 2-8. 

If you want to know how just ask

Ok, I'll ask. How?  How did you get doubloons without spending real money?   Do you always go for super containers?  I've gotten 3 super containers so far, but none got my doubloons.  After a while, I gave up on always going for super containers.  Now I go for consumables / flags / camos.

And for all who have replied, thank you for your perspectives from the higher tiers.  My question was prompted by playing T5 Furutaka and T7 Yorck at the same time, and seeing the difference in my results.  I kinda assume that at T7, I'm playing against better-skilled players with higher-skilled captains and more and better consumables (from doubloons and premium account).  I usually play with only the free consumables.  I don't have the sense whether I'm being beaten by just better skills, or by  captain skill points and bought consumables as well.

Also, I don't understand how you could lose "money" by playing at higher tiers.  You mean I would spend more game credits for each match than earned?  I have not paid attention to how much credit it takes to play a match so far.  I am aware there are post-battle servicing costs, but so far I'm able to earn a little credits net even if I lose.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
3 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

If patient one can easily stay doubloon free. But you will miss out on some cool ships. 

When the game was first officially released, I got desperate because 6x1 Furutaka was so horrible and slow. That was the beginning of my Doubloon Purchasing Days. Three years in, I don't have a real need for any Prem Ships or Doubloons now because there is nothing  I want... other than Asashio. At the same time, I have enough Waifus that I don't want another one. :cap_hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,431
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles
35 minutes ago, slider37 said:

My win rate is 47%.  My kill ratio is 0.64.  I've been playing the KM DD/CA/BB and the Jap DD/CA lines.  I have only 1 captain per line, selling off the old ship and assigning the same captain to the new ship as I go up in tier .   My "highest" captains have only 11 skill points.  My highest ship is the Tier 7 Yorck, with which I have a pretty poor kill ratio at 0.39.  All other ships are T5 or T6.

And I have spent $0 in this game.  Everything I have comes from containers.

I have a feeling as I get into more T7 ships and above, the game might become less enjoyable because I will just get blown out of water sooner than later in each match.  Unless my skill level improves dramatically, which is not probable...

Are there any or many players in high tiers who have gotten this far without spending real money?

 

 

 

 

I have a guy in my clan who has a lot of T-10's and he has never spent a penny on the game. He has 4000+ battles in the Fiji lol. If you have patience you can earn just about everything in this game as a free player. Check out IChasegaming's and Notser's youtube channel. They have a lot of videos that can help you improve your gameplay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
459
[MIA-A]
Members
2,010 posts
9,612 battles

Up until recently, I'd not spent a red cent on the game.  That said, I won a lot of premium time in contests, so I progressed a lot faster (though you can get premium time from PTS missions and such, too), even so, I got to T10 on multiple lines without spending money.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
1 minute ago, slider37 said:

Ok, I'll ask. How?  How did you get doubloons without spending real money?   Do you always go for super containers?  I've gotten 3 super containers so far, but none got my doubloons.  After a while, I gave up on always going for super containers.  Now I go for consumables / flags / camos.

And for all who have replied, thank you for your perspectives from the higher tiers.  My question was prompted by playing T5 Furutaka and T7 Yorck at the same time, and seeing the difference in my results.  I kinda assume that at T7, I'm playing against better-skilled players with higher-skilled captains and more and better consumables (from doubloons and premium account).  I usually play with only the free consumables.  I don't have the sense whether I'm being beaten by just better skills, or by  captain skill points and bought consumables as well.

Also, I don't understand how you could lose "money" by playing at higher tiers.  You mean I would spend more game credits for each match than earned?  I have not paid attention to how much credit it takes to play a match so far.  I am aware there are post-battle servicing costs, but so far I'm able to earn a little credits net even if I lose.

 

Right now, it seems like you are just playing Cruisers. Battleships and Carriers cost more to operate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×