You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheURLGuy

"What's a Simple Thing Players Can Do to Get Better at WoWS" - Suggestions Wanted

83 comments in this topic

[WGA]
WG Staff
104 posts
694 battles

Hey, everyone! 

Steve here again, this time soliciting your best, basic battle tips for the...uh...less-than-spectacular battle buddies you've had in battle. We had some great submissions for our #relatable moments list, and hope to get the same #clickworthy results as last week! Share your tips below, and focus more on "dos" than "don'ts"! 

git-gud-tips.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out and welcome to FishFeed!

Sincerely, 
Steve D. Hams
FishFeed Editor-in-Chief 
Follow on Twitter!

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,198 battles

Enlarge the minimap by pressing + until it can't get any bigger. Turn on range circles for spotting range, radar range, hydro range, main battery range, and where applicable torpedo range and secondary gun range.

THEN LOOK AT THE MAP FREQUENTLY.

• Cool 5

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,441 posts
6,631 battles

loading screen :

look at the map, 

look at where you will spawn

look at the composition of your own and the enemy team.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,486 posts
2,043 battles

Look at that little square thing in the bottom right corner. It's a map. Use it as often, if not more, than your guns.

Those little circle things on the minimap? Those are caps. The idea is to turn them green. If they're red, then you need to do something about it.

Don't do your own thing. You have 11 friends to help you win. Let them help you.

• Cool 2

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

Don't go first or go alone when you're unfamiliar with a map or new a tier. You an learn a lot by observing other players until you know your way around a map. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,315 posts
11,857 battles

Try being the A Team instead of Lone Wolf McQuade.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[DDOG]
Beta Testers
32 posts
4,407 battles

Install the WASD hack. Works every time. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
368 posts
5,761 battles

+1 to everyone who said or will say ether teamwork or map/situational  awareness.  I am at best an average player and it was a struggle to get here.  Aiming is an issue for me, always has been.  But the things that have helped my game the most have been map awareness and teamwork when I can find it.The latter can often be elusive but awareness is 100% under your control and there is no simpler thing you can do.

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,389 battles

"It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win."

John Paul Jones

Members
368 posts
5,761 battles
1 minute ago, MidnightShamalan said:

WASDmovesme.jpeg.4e542da9c123c41a8147ed8261d2991c.jpeg

Actually...this.  It's become such second nature to me I don't even think about it anymore, I just do it but yeah, wasd should be #1 on everyone's list.

• Cool 1

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

I personally found that keeping a box of donuts on my desk next to my keyboard has been very helpful. My favorites are chocolate dipped and the double chocolate but you might have others you like. Please be warned that Apple Crullers (and similar pastries) should be avoided at all costs. They make your fingers very sticky during gameplay and you might find yourself licking your fingers instead of firing your guns when you need to the most.

I like taking a few bites at the beginning while waiting for the match to start and enemy ships to appear. It give you an energy and adrenaline boost. Grab a bite or two after sinking a ship as a pat on the back. Never underestimate the power of the donut my friend. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

Don't yolo at the start.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles

1) While victory feels good, win rate isn't everything. Don't be put off by your defeats, and don't rush to empty your wallet in the search for a win.

2) If paying to play, concentrate your spending (at least initially) on things that stick around: ships, port slots and permanent camouflage.

3) Gunnery is everything; if you can't hit the target, it doesn't matter what ship you're in or how many weapons it has. Practice, practice, practice.

[NOBS]
Members
468 posts
5,366 battles

Ignore what everyone else is doing, ignore what people are saying in chat, and play. You will figure out what works and what gets you killed

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles

Continue to use what works, discard what doesn't, and ignore all posts regarding tips from others on how to get good.

Especially this one.

• Funny 3

[HINON]
Members
8,797 posts

Don't try a channel run on two brothers while the channel has ships defending it.

km3AXwf.jpg

[BIAS]
Members
3,001 posts
8,978 battles

Here's a list I came up with a few months ago in another thread, of things I found helped me get better. #2 is probably the best bit of advice I can give.

1. If you want to get better, you cannot choose to be ignorant. I came across a Mahan player a few days ago who was raging about radar in game after he ventured into range of my div mate's Belfast and got deleted, despite the Belfast being smoked up for a little bit, firing at targets. We told him it was his choice to come within range, he saw the smoke, he saw the shells coming out of it, he should have figured out that the only 2 ships that could have been in the smoke was Cleveland or a Belfast. He asked who in the world would count shells coming out of a smoke screen. When we both replied that we both did that, he said that it was too much work to do that. Well if you want to have the attitude of that Mahan, then you will not get better at this game.

2. Do not throw your ship away needlessly. If you charge into a cap thinking you need to cap before the enemy team and die for you efforts, your team has neither the cap, nor your dd. You have just died for nothing. You can be behind on points, but if you are still alive, you are still able to do things for your team. If you are dead, then you can only hope your team can pull the win out.

3. Keep awareness of everything around you. Pay attention to the minimap and ship health. If you have finished cleaning up a flank, pay attention to the other flank. Is it best to keep pushing where you are, or do you need to shift back around to the other flank and help your team out there? This is very important in standard battles.

4. Be aware of ships and their capabilities. Chucking torps from 10km with 8km torps is worthless. Getting out on the flank with an Akizuki when the enemy has a French cruiser on that flank to chase you down is not a good idea. Getting spotted by a dd with lesser concealment than you that you didn't expect can lead to you panicking, as the number of ships targeting you climbs, and doing something stupid and getting yourself killed.

5. Play your best in every situation. Some games look to be unwinnable, but why give up??? I've seen games that were in the bag for the enemy teams, 1 or 2 of their ships pull a stupid move and you end up being able to carry it regardless of the score in the middle of the game. That works in reverse as well, don't get complacent just because you have a healthy lead.

6. Be aware of what you are doing, what you are planning to get out of it, how it will help your team and how to get out if the situation turns badly. If what you are doing is not going to help your team more than just getting damage on enemy ships, you are not going to help your team win very much. Make sure you can get out of you need. Just like you learned in driver's ed, kind of make sure you have 2 exit plans in case the one gets closed up. Think ahead, try to decide where you need to be in the next minute, where you need to be if things are going good, where you need to be if things are going badly.

7. Analyze your play. After pretty much every game, especially ones I perform terribly in. I figure out what I did wrong and what I could have done better. Sometimes, I realize there was nothing different I could have done, that I got outplayed, but more often I realize that I played stupidly.

8. If your team doesn't look like its going to be able to support you with what you are doing, don't do it, find something to do where you are able to help the team and the team is able to help you.

9. This sounds counter-intuitive to the point above but its really not: Don't trust random team mates to do what you think they should. Don't go into a situation where the only way it goes right is you depending on your random team mate helping you.

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 3

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,441 posts
6,631 battles

join a  clan that is willing to help you improve, but also accept that you can do better. (we have vacancies)

[SYN]
Members
4,524 posts
11,433 battles

Think about what you could have done better in that last match, and stop blaming the other guy.

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,326 posts
9,387 battles

BEST ADVICE:

If you are just starting up, don't spend any money at all. 

Learn how to shoot, how to use the various sensors, how to control and read the maps,, how to work together in a team.

Play the daylights out of this game.  win..  lose...  damage...  kills...   WHO CARES !!!  Do about 500 battles like this.

Once you got all that down and are ready to purchase some premium ship or premium time....   STOP right there.

Create a new account and start again.  Then start buying up all those Premium Ships and Premium Time.

Now that you know the game better -- you won't have to undo all that statistical wreckage from your 'starter' days.

[PVE]
Members
494 posts
4,066 battles

Don't shoot torpedoes if anyone is anywhere near between you and your target. You can never know what they will do. They will not know that you launched torpedoes until it is too late for them. You are responsible for everything your torpedoes do to everyone.