You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
InventedThought

Best Tier 8 for ranked

81 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

Curios as to what ships the community thinks are the best to use to reach rank 11. I have the Bismark, N.C. and the Atago (from x-mas box 2016)and also the ARP Takao. The Bismark and the N.C. both GROUND OUT, with the Nagoto 15k xp away from finishing. All equipped and fully upgraded. However no 19 pt Captains. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. :cap_hmm:

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I actually did pretty well with amagi  last season getting to R11 (where I stopped)  as well as charles martel.       

[POP]
Members
837 posts
9,459 battles

I think you are ready to do battle sir!

10 minutes ago, InventedThought said:

Curios as to what ships the community thinks are the best to use to reach rank 11. I have the Bismark, N.C. and the Atago (from x-mas box 2016)and also the ARP Takao. The Bismark and the N.C. both GROUND OUT, with the Nagoto 15k xp away from finishing. All equipped and fully upgraded. However no 19 pt Captains. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. :cap_hmm:

Members
587 posts

Since this is going to be a Tier 8 / 10 elitest, platinum, upper crust Rank I am forced to respond in this manner. 

Ahhhm....If you do not know how to figure this out on your own you are not qualified to play....

Tier 8

CV Enterprise 

DD Kidd...Loyang very close second.

BB Roma...I think...can’t remember might be Alabama.

Cruiser ....anything with Radar.

Tier 10 

Clearly not a Tier 10 player but....I have to look at the stats...sorry..I like...

DD Yueyang Japanese options are the other choice. I am curious where they are at Buff/ nerf with next update.  Gearing is likely to not do that well. 

CA Des Radar Moins as well as anything with Radar.!

BB Conquerer

CV? Did not follow Midway buff nerf controversy Sorry

I have Hindenburg, Montana, Gearing, Des Moins and only Des Moins seems to be able to really contest a cap. Minatour maybe. Radar will b a big deal

Edited by Toxic_Potato
  • Bad 4

Members
2,208 posts
4,043 battles

Amagi is solid as is Alabama despite being pregrouped in the second tier of BB last season. Enterprise as well.

Bismarck had a good showing in numbers but there where a few threads about players complaining about how squishy they felt. 

NC's rifles will do you well in every situation so get in some practice with her while grinding Amagi. 

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

i'll probably use NC, if for no other reason than to troll the trolls that will be trolling with the GZ troll machine. :cap_cool:

• Funny 1

[USMC2]
[USMC2]
Members
41 posts
8,433 battles
19 minutes ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

Kutuzov. :cap_cool:

This. . .it's what I used exclusively. For tier 10 I'm not sure. I usually do well in a Khabob, but I don't know how that would work out in ranked due to the ships that are in play. . . I would guess gearing or DM being popular.

• Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
860 posts
6,976 battles
17 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The one you do best with and feel comfortable in.

Agreed.   Play what you like playing.   While there might be preferred ships for strategy discussions, sailing those preferred ships won't guarantee a win.

I have some of the ships that might make the "best ship" list, and I have a few others (French cruisers at T8 and T10), which wouldn't make any list, but I happen to like sailing, and am comfortable with.

And, until the Ranked battle starts, I have no idea if the French cruiser meta will work.    I'll give it a go.    It may work, or I may sink.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles

I found that Chapayev was the king of cruisers for ranked, and possibly best ship overall last season. I saw really stellar Atago games, but I also saw a LOT of crappy Takao games, too. I think it's a ship that can do well, but needs a really experienced skipper to even factor in.

Graf Zeppelin will be a monster, I'm sure.

Amagi fared quite well, and properly played NCs were a major factor. Bismarck was not always a nice ship to see on your team.

Benson is a very solid option for DD, although I think Ognevoi was under exploited and may see a spike in popularity if CVs factor in more regularly. I will likely play Ognevoi.  Lo Yang was a popular choice, and did well, although I prefer Benson.

BY FAR the worst ship is Lexington, followed by the Hipper. New Orleans was not overly competitive, either, at least from what I saw.

I think T10 will be a cruiser fest. All the T10 cruisers are really good and make a big impact. The DDs will likely be Shimakaze and Gearing, although I think the Groz could be popular if more people owned it. I don't really see why one would chose a T10 BB for ranked with the cruiser options that exist.

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,035 battles

Sooooo many good choices, you could make a case for just about every tier 8 tech tree or premium ship....  the only exception to that is the New Orleans.... having an NO on your team for ranked is about equal to having an AFK....

• Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles
12 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Sooooo many good choices, you could make a case for just about every tier 8 tech tree or premium ship....  the only exception to that is the New Orleans.... having an NO on your team for ranked is about equal to having an AFK....

For the most part, cruisers that aren't Chapayev or Kutuzov should really just remain in Port. 

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,035 battles
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

For the most part, cruisers that aren't Chapayev or Kutuzov should really just remain in Port. 

I don’t know, saw some great games impacted by Atago, Charles M, 155 Mogomi, think these are very strong, also will have to see if changes to PE and Hipper make these more competitive for Ranked.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles
2 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

I don’t know, saw some great games impacted by Atago, Charles M, 155 Mogomi, think these are very strong, also will have to see if changes to PE and Hipper make these more competitive for Ranked.

Agreed. But for every solid CM game, there are 20 loose BM games.

I'm very clever.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,783 battles

Had 6 kills in one match with my Tirpitz with 2x close quarters and a double kill. Yah, I'll be taking her out again. As for T10, mainly Hindy / DM although I might run Conq / GK if I feel the need to go heavy. 

As mentioned before, go with what feels best to you. 

[TEARZ]
[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
291 posts
7,366 battles

I will be playing mainly dds in ranked, so the Herakaze or the Z-23. Most other dds will be Loyang and the Benson/PA counter part. Some people will rock Akatasuki because of the guns, Russian dds can be a bad choice depending on team composition.  I am sure the Asashio will be out tomorrow but that will be limited to caps and torps that hit only bbs. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles

If you're asking for a choice between Bismark and North Carolina I would recommend NC every time. There is not enough difference between Atago and ARP Atago to really make a huge difference, and Kutuzov and Chapayev seem to dominate the cruiser slots anyway, so I would not use the IJN CAs; and you have listed no DDs so I'm guessing either you don't play them or have no tier 8s.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

Doesn't the popularity of a given ship play into the out come of whether a ship will do well. since I haven't ground a ten yet I am thinking that I can best help the teams by AA lots of AA. on the plus side it is good to see non-toxic conversation in this thread. Lots of good input here.:cap_like:

Edited by InventedThought
spelling

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
770 posts
5,756 battles

DDs lead the way.

- LoYang: Excellent maneuverability and concealment for spotting; excellent at gunnery duels with other Tier VIII DDs

- Kidd: A tier VIII version of the Fletcher

- Benson: Same as LoYang with an extra gun (if B hull is mounted)

- Kiev: Capable of outgunning and hunting other DDs; AP shots can inflict serious damage to CLs and CAs

- HSF Harekaze: Loaded out with gunnery spec; has 10km torpedoes

"I intend to go in harm’s way….I have a fighting ship and I will never retreat from an enemy force…” - Ernest Evans, US Navy - 1943

#anchorsaweigh

dark.png

• Cool 2

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

If you're asking for a choice between Bismark and North Carolina I would recommend NC every time. There is not enough difference between Atago and ARP Atago to really make a huge difference, and Kutuzov and Chapayev seem to dominate the cruiser slots anyway, so I would not use the IJN CAs; and you have listed no DDs so I'm guessing either you don't play them or have no tier 8s.

yea no t8 dd....yet

Edited by InventedThought

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles

I have 26 tier 8 ships (11 Premium) I'll let you know which did best after Ranked season is over. I only have 6 tier tens so that one will be easier.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,136 battles

Chapeyev was king last season. I'm sure it's the best option followed by Martel and Kutuzov. Lo yang best dd as usual. GZ will dominate in every match. Not sure about the best BB. All pretty balanced.. NC will be useful against cv's the one time your up against a cv every 30 games. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,514 battles

10 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

- LoYang: Excellent maneuverability [...] excellent at gunnery duels with other Tier VIII DDs

NEIN. LY is the worst-gunned ship in her tier, do not engage in gunnery duels! Use smoke and hydro to prevent it from being any kind of a duel at all.

• Cool 1