You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
2575dave

Is Premium Naval Base Port actually "Mare Island Naval Shipyard?

42 comments in this topic

[TNG-D]
Members
269 posts
8,242 battles

The World of WarShips Premium Port is called "Naval Base" But is it actually modeled after: "Mare Island Naval Shipyard" in San Francisco Bay Area, Northern California?    aka: Home

I assumed the premium port was a collage of different naval shipyards, dry docks, and historical landmarks found on the east coast. But when i was checking out the port using a "long zoom out camera mod"  I found something hiding behind one of the buildings:

v99QfFU.jpg

I found this sign and I couldn't believe it..i was actually looking at Mare Island Naval Shipyard and Mount Diablo in the Background.

OK the evidence is just two pics but I think there proof enough.

aRZkPy4.png

rFQGkxZ.jpg2q

Is this the same sign and building?

Building 609 "The Machine Shop" with roof mounted periscope .

51094zb.jpg

The roof periscope is flashing Morse code : message reads:"Cthulhu calls, sound super, play ships" And is that Mount Tamalpais in the background or what?   

What do you all think?  

• Cool 6

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,886 posts
8,176 battles

Can you see Tam from mare Island? I figured it was an extension of the Philippine port due to the Three Antennas you see in the main picture, but you found something I did not.

I worked out of Mare to ready ships for Museums and Youth programs from 1975 to 1990 and I worked there in 1994 on the retrofit of two bridges nearby. It would make sense though to use it as a design frame since WOWS had staff in the Bay Area for a while.

[KP]
Members
1,998 posts
18,464 battles

I worked at Mare Island off and on over the last couple years. Even have a pic of being inside the barrel of the cut down 16inch gun in front of the museum. The Hotchkiss Gatling gun in front of the old base commanders house would be cool on a tier 1 or 2 ship.

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

It's make believe, but it definitely fits in the area. I've always believed that that particular port was somewhere in California.

The problem is that the local geographic relief around Mare Island looks nothing like the weirdly mountainous terrain around the Naval Base port. Okay, yes, Mount Tamalpais and Mount Diablo are in the area and probably visible from parts of Mare Island, and there are some gentle hills directly to the NE, but the overall relief doesn't link up. 

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand
  • Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,014 posts
9,612 battles

More evidence: The letters on the Hammerhead Crane:
0.6.12.0.1-Unhistorical-Indianapolis-ski

At first I thought the Hammerhead Crane might have been out of place and swiped from Bremerton's Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, but it's the wrong colour (Bremerton's is Green) and the control house on the back is a a bit different.

Load Test on Hammerhead Crane 1933

^This one is Bremerton's

Puget Sound Naval Shipyard when?

[STW-B]
Members
24 posts
13,212 battles
21 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Not to get sidetracked but how did you enable daylight on the Naval Base port? There used to be a daylight Black Sea Port mod available but it quit working several game versions ago - I'm not a fan of the night port and have been using other stock ports even though I have a premium account. Would love to go back to daytime Naval Base!

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,530 posts
11,433 battles

There might be similarities in some of the details within the dockyard itself, but I can tell you that the surrounding landscape looks nothing like the Mare Island/Vallejo area.

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,014 posts
9,612 battles
10 minutes ago, Glyn47 said:

Not to get sidetracked but how did you enable daylight on the Naval Base port? There used to be a daylight Black Sea Port mod available but it quit working several game versions ago - I'm not a fan of the night port and have been using other stock ports even though I have a premium account. Would love to go back to daytime Naval Base!

Heck if I know!  I just got that image off google XD

• Funny 1

[TNG-D]
Members
269 posts
8,242 battles
On 4/12/2018 at 10:30 AM, Glyn47 said:

Not to get sidetracked but how did you enable daylight on the Naval Base port? There used to be a daylight Black Sea Port mod available but it quit working several game versions ago - I'm not a fan of the night port and have been using other stock ports even though I have a premium account. Would love to go back to daytime. 

Original download page from WoWS  SEA forum,  Unreal port mods/ Shipyard plus 2in1

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/25033-unreal-port-mods/

Edited by 2575dave
  • Cool 1

[RAWR]
Members
68 posts
3,914 battles

Great catch with that Mare Island building! I've volunteered at the museum there for years as well. I wrote off the Mare Island possibility because of the lack of drydocks. Awesome!

I'd been hoping/trying to get some WG folks to visit before they moved out of Emeryville but I never could get serious interest.

[TNG-D]
Members
269 posts
8,242 battles
On 4/12/2018 at 8:20 AM, StingRayOne said:

Can you see Tam from mare Island? I figured it was an extension of the Philippine port due to the Three Antennas you see in the main picture, but you found something I did not.

I worked out of Mare to ready ships for Museums and Youth programs from 1975 to 1990 and I worked there in 1994 on the retrofit of two bridges nearby. It would make sense thoiugh to use it as a design frame since WOWS had staff in the Bay Area for a while.

tZJC18K.jpg

I couldn't find a pic with mount Tam, but the antennas are there and in the same direction, just not the same number. there in the background of the first pic with the crane, but there barely even visible.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:28 AM, IronMike11B4O said:

I worked at Mare Island off and on over the last couple years. Even have a pic of being inside the barrel of the cut down 16inch gun in front of the museum. The Hotchkiss Gatling gun in front of the old base commanders house would be cool on a tier 1 or 2 ship.

RT7ViPk.jpg

WoWS its time to retrofit this on the Erie or Sampson lol. 

^This one is Bremerton's

8NQE7du.jpg

Think they would get away with this today?  :Smile_smile:

On 4/12/2018 at 9:07 AM, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

It's make believe, but it definitely fits in the area. I've always believed that that particular port was somewhere in California.

The problem is that the local geographic relief around Mare Island looks nothing like the weirdly mountainous terrain around the Naval Base port. Okay, yes, Mount Tamalpais and Mount Diablo are in the area and probably visible from parts of Mare Island, and there are some gentle hills directly to the NE, but the overall relief doesn't link up. 

On 4/12/2018 at 10:35 AM, Kuckoo said:

There might be similarities in some of the details within the dockyard itself, but I can tell you that the surrounding landscape looks nothing like the Mare Island/Vallejo area.

I definitely agree that the terrain around the Naval Base is not realistic and shouldn't be used for navigational purposes, especially where MT Tam should be (almost looks like Half dome) But the direction of the two mountains in the Naval base are in the same general direction as Mt Diablo and Mt Tam. I don't think there meant to be focused in on and are just something cool to have for a background.

As for the buildings.. besides the actual placement/location of the real buildings relative to each other..  There is no doubt this is a close representation of Mare Island Naval Shipyard. 

*Reminder* this is a game with some undoubtedly great Historical researchers and Developers, Hats off to you.

o6IZmM5.jpg

b4qXV8P.jpg

ZdCzHq2.jpg

KvdJLRz.jpg

fhZs25s.jpg

Edited by 2575dave
  • Cool 3

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

It's stupid that they wpuld develop all these specific assets and not just do Mare Island. You've done the details - now just arrange the scene properly (but don't take away Naval Base - even if it isn't specific, I love the California feel, and the twilight/foredawn lighting).

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
On 4/12/2018 at 7:40 AM, 2575dave said:

The World of WarShips Premium Port is called "Naval Base" But is it actually modeled after: "Mare Island Naval Shipyard" in San Francisco Bay Area, Northern California?    aka: Home

I assumed the premium port was a collage of different naval shipyards, dry docks, and historical landmarks found on the east coast. But when i was checking out the port using a "long zoom out camera mod"  I found something hiding behind one of the buildings:

v99QfFU.jpg

I found this sign and I couldn't believe it..i was actually looking at Mare Island Naval Shipyard and Mount Diablo in the Background.

aRZkPy4.png

rFQGkxZ.jpg2q

51094zb.jpg

The roof periscope is flashing Morse code : message reads:"Cthulhu calls, sound super, play ships" And is that Mount Tamalpais in the background or what?   

What do you all think?  

interesting...I've never seen that view before on that particular port.  

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,020 posts
11,539 battles
On 4/12/2018 at 1:06 PM, thegamefilmguruman said:

At first I thought the Hammerhead Crane might have been out of place and swiped from Bremerton's Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, but it's the wrong colour (Bremerton's is Green) and the control house on the back is a a bit different.

^This one is Bremerton's

Puget Sound Naval Shipyard when?

The one in the port /is/ swiped from Bremerton.  Bremerton's hammerhead is distinctive.  I've seen pictures of it in that rust color from the port.  Unfortunately my Grandfather and Father have both passed away (both retirees from PSNS) and I can't ask them if it was always green anymore.

Members
3,298 posts
8,013 battles

Passing through the area I stpped by the Mare Island yard some time back in the early 90s.  The main thing I remember was seeing the hulk USS Oriskany (CV-34) moored there in a very sad state.

Just like in this photo credited to a Kirk Rattenne, AKA, Haze Gray & Underway

cv34_05.jpg

[MIA-A]
Members
2,014 posts
9,612 battles
15 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

The one in the port /is/ swiped from Bremerton.  Bremerton's hammerhead is distinctive.  I've seen pictures of it in that rust color from the port.  Unfortunately my Grandfather and Father have both passed away (both retirees from PSNS) and I can't ask them if it was always green anymore.

Hmmmmmm.  In that case, they didn't model the base properly.  Not nearly as much steel there as there should be.  Tsk Tsk.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,020 posts
11,539 battles

Probably.  If you look at photos, most of the hammerheads have angled supports under the bottom.  Bremerton's hammerhead is very "boxy" with some extra supports on top.  There aren't many of them left.  I think Norfolk has one still, and maybe Portsmouth.  Norfolk's may be ripped down soon.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,014 posts
9,612 battles
30 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I think Norfolk has one still, and maybe Portsmouth.  Norfolk's may be ripped down soon.

This makes me sad.  They're rather neat.  At least Bremerton's isn't going anywhere.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,020 posts
11,539 battles

I checked out the Navy report on the Norfolk hammerhead, it appears it will be cheaper over the course of 20 years to mothball it than it would be to tear it down.  I hope that's the route that ends up being chosen.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,484 battles
On 4/12/2018 at 7:40 AM, 2575dave said:

v99QfFU.jpg

aRZkPy4.png

rFQGkxZ.jpg2q

51094zb.jpg

What do you all think?  

There’s definitely a nod to Mare Island in the look of the buildings (& names as you’ve discovered).  The surroundings, however are largely fictional - have been on Mare Island a number of times (there’s a golf course on the island - the course is on a high point that gives you a good view of the island).  WG took some liberties w/ the surrounding in the same way that the Hawaii port’s surroundings looks nothing like Pearl in real life (grew up in Hawaii).   Unfortunately, as a former military base, there’s a toxic cleanup issue for parts of the island.

Edited by hangglide42

[SS238]
[SS238]
Members
125 posts
22,534 battles

Great job finding the Mare Island on the shipfitters shop building. I believe some of the background is lifted from the Hunters Point Naval shipyard across the bay, where Mount Tam and Diablo ARE visible and the larger drydocks DID exist.

Edited by mushmouthmorton
remove reference to hammerhead crane
  • Cool 1

[TNG-D]
Members
269 posts
8,242 battles
18 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

I couldn't find any info on if it was ever painted red or just green, But I did find a couple post cards that show it painted red. 

HR9FG8V.jpg

8Jdz0K7.jpg

dDz2Pgl.jpg

j6s6tVb.jpg

The only difference between Bremertons (first pic) and the games (last pics) is the two viewing area's on either side of the crane. Bremerton's crane doesn't have them anymore, they obviously were removed some time ago.

[TNG-D]
Members
269 posts
8,242 battles

Odd coincidence.. Guess whats going on at Mare Island Naval Base right now...

yv5qpjM.jpg

Was Transformers an "episodic Television Series"? Thought of it as a cartoon personally.

kLIarPs.jpg

cy0c8P9.jpg

ZveODRI.jpg

Z565FoP.jpg

Last two pics are of Bumblebee and the star Hailee Steinfeld and the Director Travis Knight with Decepticon car. Movie is set in the 1980's

Transformers 6  "Bumble Bee" Movie is shooting at Mare Island.:Smile_popcorn:

Edited by 2575dave
  • Cool 1