You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

MM should include balance of captain points

70 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

a 19 point captain vs 5 is almost like T10 vs T8

after MM find two teams of 12+12, it should shuffle between teams so the total captain points of each team is about equal, to avoid too 1 sided game

• Bad 5

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
219 posts
7,848 battles

Do you really want to wait 10 mins for a match?

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts
5 minutes ago, axyarthur said:

Do you really want to wait 10 mins for a match?

nope, this will add 0 to wait time

see after you find 12+12 with current tier/type match, you just swap some of the members from team A to team B, to balance the captain points

also can add other matrix of "skill", to balance the two teams

Edited by Happy668

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,345 posts
14,670 battles
7 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

a 19 point captain vs 5 is almost like T10 vs T8

after MM find two teams of 12+12, it should shuffle between teams so the total captain points of each team is about equal, to avoid too 1 sided game

Seriously??  What's next, same upgrades, and then same choice of mods,  and then maybe same camo??  Come on, let's leave some variety, etc., in the game and help keep the time in queue low. 

By the way, no matter how many things you want the MM to "make the same", in the end - no matter what - the team with the better captains will win.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts
1 minute ago, Merc85 said:

Seriously??  What's next, same upgrades, and then same choice of mods,  and then maybe same camo??  Come on, let's leave some variety, etc., in the game and help keep the time in queue low. 

By the way, no matter how many things you want the MM to "make the same", in the end - no matter what - the team with the better captains will win.

by your logic, why even match the tier/type then? can just be totally random

captain points is as important as tier/type, it's "hardware"

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,099 battles

:Smile_facepalm: The endless complaining about MM is tiresome.  I'm in favor of minor balance adjustments like WG is looking into, but this is a bit much.

B

Edited by bassmasta76
rewording

[DNTZ]
Members
196 posts
11,162 battles
7 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

Completely agree.  The team with the better players will win.

If all players were equal, then yes, the higher the commander the more likely you will win.  In reality the players are never equal and the player that is better at that point in time will come out on top.   I had a battle not too long ago where I was in my New Orleans (concealment build - 10 point commander) and I snuck up on a Minotaur hiding in smoke shooting the other direction.  I got 3 citadel hits immediately after popping radar from about 7 km away and proceeded to delete him while only taking a salvo or two.  I would *guess* his commander was higher than 10 points and he *obviously* had the better ship.  In that instance I was the better player and crushed him.  I am sure there would be 90 other instances where that same Minotaur player deletes my New Orleans...

There is no need to make MM anymore complex with respect to commander points, upgrades, flags, camo, etc.   As long as the tiers and nations are *close* it should be good enough most of the time.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

I don't feel like waiting more than 1 minute and 30 seconds for Match Maker. It's just another issue after the issue is resolved.

Edited by Vangm94

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

some may argue then i will lose my advantage of grinding to 19 points, no, you still have tactical advantage in a microscopic level 1 vs 1, but for the team as a whole, should be balanced just like tier/type, more balanced game is more rewarding for the winning team, and less demoralizing for the losing one

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
7 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

see after you find 12+12 with current tier/type match, you just swap some of the members from team A to team B, to balance the captain points

How do you know captain points are an issue? I believe the vast majority of players have ships of a given tier with captains in a fairly narrow range, (ie. if you have a T7 ship, your captain has 10-15 points) and that there isn't enough difference to make an appreciable difference in overall gameplay.

Thing is, since you can't know what the points are for the captains in your match, how do we know which one of us, if either, are correct?

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

How do you know captain points are an issue? I believe the vast majority of players have ships of a given tier with captains in a fairly narrow range, (ie. if you have a T7 ship, your captain has 10-15 points) and that there isn't enough difference to make an appreciable difference in overall gameplay.

Thing is, since you can't know what the points are for the captains in your match, how do we know which one of us, if either, are correct?

if captain points are already pretty balanced, then all the better

but there are many seal clubbers armed with 19 point captains in t5 t7 games, whether that's right is another topic, but at least balance two teams is good for most players and good for business

Edited by Happy668

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Just remember, it is never the CO's (the player) fault, it is always because of:

• Match Maker
  • Captain Skills
  • Torpedoes
  • AP Shells
  • HE Shells
  • Aircraft Carriers
  • THEIR OWN BOAT

I lied, they just won't learn the game.

• Cool 1

[ARMDA]
Members
126 posts
1,922 battles

Given the vast variety of commander skill builds (including poor ones), it would be difficult to implement commander skill balance into the matchmaking system. It's completely unnecessary and would waste time. How do you think metas and anti-metas form?

Edited by destawaits

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
4 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

but there are many seal clubbers armed with 19 point captains in t5 t7 games, whether that's right is another topic, but at least balance two teams is good for most players and good for business

So where do the 19pt COs go? It sure ain't only Tier X. I play only Ryujo because I enjoy playing her at her tier with my 19 pt CO. I enjoy playing Fubuki with her 19pt CO with her 19pt CO. So where should they go? Tier X? Tier IX? Tier I? Just where? Now we are just hating on those who may or may not have earned their 19pt CO.

Edited by Vangm94

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

more balanced game is good for everyone, i don't like steamrolling other team, since it gives me no challenge no joy, and you can't hit/kill crap before the other team just melted. and if i am on the losing team, it's very demoralizing, and people quit playing after frustration

[ARMDA]
Members
126 posts
1,922 battles
1 minute ago, Vangm94 said:

Just remember, it is never the CO's (the player) fault, it is always because of:

• Match Maker
  • Captain Skills
  • Torpedoes
  • AP Shells
  • HE Shells
  • Aircraft Carriers
  • THEIR OWN BOAT

Salt

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,344 posts
10,204 battles

or WG could restrict how effective captain points are in lower tiers.

There is something to be said about some <T6 ships absolutely requiring 10pts+ to perform at average levels in randoms, because of how common it is to encounter 19pt captain premium ships in the same tier. If you don't have a 10pts+ captain in your <T6 ship, then expect your ship to be mediocre or completely inadequate.

It's just [edited]being on the receiving end of that and a good way to lose players that are new to the game.

But if you bring less than 10pts into a T8+ game, then it's all on your head.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
22 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

by your logic, why even match the tier/type then? can just be totally random

captain points is as important as tier/type, it's "hardware"

I disagree. If I can play my Bismarck with a 55% WR (higher than my overall) with a 10-point captain, it can't be that big a deal.

The only real difference is between 9 and 10 points, because at 9, you don't have any 4-point skills. At 10, you get one. A player at 10 points, and a player at say, 14 points, both have (if they chose them properly) the most important 1,2,3,4 point skills. The 14 point player merely has an extra 4 point skill, one that's less important.

What they could do, is simply say 10+ point captains can only run T6+ ships, and 9- point captains can only run T5- ships.

Not that I think it's necessary, but that would be almost as effective and far simpler.

[ARMDA]
Members
126 posts
1,922 battles
3 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

more balanced game is good for everyone, i don't like steamrolling other team, since it gives me no challenge no joy, and you can't hit/kill crap before the other team just melted. and if i am on the losing team, it's very demoralizing, and people quit playing after frustration

Imbalance is what provides challenge and what gives the players incentive to improve. Also, your "steamrolling" of the "other team" is likely caused factors other than commander skills, such as by differences in skill or through players AFK'ing.

Edited by destawaits
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I disagree. If I can play my Bismarck with a 55% WR (higher than my overall) with a 10-point captain, it can't be that big a deal.

The only real difference is between 9 and 10 points, because at 9, you don't have any 4-point skills. At 10, you get one. A player at 10 points, and a player at say, 14 points, both have (if they chose them properly) the most important 1,2,3,4 point skills. The 14 point player merely has an extra 4 point skill, one that's less important.

What they could do, is simply say 10+ point captains can only run T6+ ships, and 9- point captains can only run T5- ships.

Not that I think it's necessary, but that would be almost as effective and far simpler.

restrict captain levels opens up a big can of worms

but balance captain for two teams is very simple to do, and won't step on many toes, lol

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
6 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

might agree that a 19 pointer in a T5 match is a bit clubbish, but T6 and up? No, because just by playing normally, you should have a 10+ point captain, thus ensuring you have the 4-point skill that matters the most.

Besides, premium ships are all over the tiers. Playing a 19 point captain in any of them is not only allowed, but encouraged.

Members
877 posts
6,868 battles
38 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

And what if after swapping those people around you end up with all the high tier ships on one side and low tier ships on the other, or all the BB on one side and CA on the other? This kind of restriction to MM is nowhere near as simple as you make it out to be.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts
11 minutes ago, destawaits said:

Imbalance is what provides challenge and what gives the players incentive to improve.

nope, a very balanced game is more rewarding, i don't remember how many times after i got sunk i still watch the game to the very close end because it's so close, winner get lots of joy and loser are not so demoralized, but if it's 1-sided, i quit to the port

Edited by Happy668

[ARMDA]
Members
126 posts
1,922 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

This compromise could cause problems for players who wish to have their commander stay on their ship. What do you think?