You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Forget drones - get a jet pack!

16 comments in this topic

[TF_34]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
339 posts
4,345 battles

hmmmm.... i wonder how loud that set up is. also, although theres been no cases of flame outs, I wonder what would actually happen to a guys legs during a flame out. sure, it will gyro stabilize, but will it prevent your feet from catching fire?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

I'd suspect #1 requirement of pilot's safety gear would be a Nomex or similar suit. :cap_like:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,174 posts
8,786 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I'd suspect #1 requirement of pilot's safety gear would be a Nomex or similar suit. :cap_like:

Yeah, a flight suit and combat style boots would be a must.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,431 battles

And then there is this....

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

I do not have the sense of balance that guy has on the Flyboard.... i'd probably dig a hole in the first 30 seconds. 

1,266 posts
13 battles

This is awesome! Hopefully they'll be able to keep upgrading it to hold more fuel for longer trips and to be able to travel /be airborne for more than 20 minutes.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

I once worked in a downtown hi-rise office, 34 to 40 floors up. Something like the jetpack would have been an awesome way to travel the 40 miles to/from work... only thing is think about taking a bird strike to the head... i did once on a motorcycle, it was not pleasant. 

I would definitely want the same type of hardware/software built into this that drones use for station holding and RTH (return to home), so if something did happen to you that somehow incapacitated you, odds would be good you'd still arrive home somewhat safely. 

Imagine another ten years of development time on the jet-pack!
Imagine pairing up some wings with it as well... so you could gain altitude then cut them back to flight idle and glide on thermals... yea boy! 

IMO the Flyboard will require a better sense of balance than most of us have - or at least, me. 

1,266 posts
13 battles
7 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I once worked in a downtown hi-rise office, 34 to 40 floors up. Something like the jetpack would have been an awesome way to travel the 40 miles to/from work... only thing is think about taking a bird strike to the head... i did once on a motorcycle, it was not pleasant. 

I would definitely want the same type of hardware/software built into this that drones use for station holding and RTH (return to home), so if something did happen to you that somehow incapacitated you, odds would be good you'd still arrive home somewhat safely. 

Imagine another ten years of development time on the jet-pack!
Imagine pairing up some wings with it as well... so you could gain altitude then cut them back to flight idle and glide on thermals... yea boy! 

IMO the Flyboard will require a better sense of balance than most of us have - or at least, me. 

Yikes! I would not want to experience that at all. Hope that you're doing well now. Definitely would love some wings to be added to it, that would be amazing! In regards to better balance, me as well. I'm like a walking accident sometimes, haha.

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

Until you can actually fly like the Rocketeer - instead of come parachutist without his kit - I'll pass. The cool thing about Cliff Secord was the horizontal flight. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts
16 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

Until you can actually fly like the Rocketeer - instead of come parachutist without his kit - I'll pass. The cool thing about Cliff Secord was the horizontal flight. 

True... there is that one guy who flies like a fighter aircraft...

1,542 posts
26 battles

I'm terrified of heights, I've always wondered if I will still be scared if I had control of how high I was going like with a jet pack :cap_hmm:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Don't be afraid of heights but rather be afraid of impacts. Or sudden stops. Or falling. :cap_haloween:

In the summer we use to fly our OH58A with the doors off, like this example:

oh58a.jpg

It was always fun as I sat in the LH front seat (one on this side, front) as a 19DF20 (areial scout observer). We use to hover at 5,000 feet up, over freeways and such with the only thing holding you into your seat a single latch seat belt, like this:

1974-m34-military-jeep-us-army-uh1-helic

You'd be surprised what you'd see at altitude.... ants for one. Yup... they get sucked up into an updraft (somehow) and float around in the air, only to hit/land on the helicopter. 

I mention these things because at altitude, any personal means of transport, absent any protection (like a hull around you) would eventually, most likely, result in injury or worth. There's simply too many things that can go wrong "up there". 

Still imagine how could it would be to lift off any downtown building, gain some altitude and reach home in ten minutes what used to take an hour or more driving.... 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,174 posts
8,786 battles
4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Don't be afraid of heights but rather be afraid of impacts. Or sudden stops. Or falling. :cap_haloween:

In the summer we use to fly our OH58A with the doors off, like this example:

oh58a.jpg

It was always fun as I sat in the LH front seat (one on this side, front) as a 19DF20 (areial scout observer). We use to hover at 5,000 feet up, over freeways and such with the only thing holding you into your seat a single latch seat belt, like this:

1974-m34-military-jeep-us-army-uh1-helic

You'd be surprised what you'd see at altitude.... ants for one. Yup... they get sucked up into an updraft (somehow) and float around in the air, only to hit/land on the helicopter. 

I mention these things because at altitude, any personal means of transport, absent any protection (like a hull around you) would eventually, most likely, result in injury or worth. There's simply too many things that can go wrong "up there". 

Still imagine how could it would be to lift off any downtown building, gain some altitude and reach home in ten minutes what used to take an hour or more driving.... 

Falling doesn't kill or hurt you. It is the sudden stop at the end that you have to worry about. :Smile_hiding:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Yea... my friends in my unit... we used to speculate a person falling out of a helicopter from 5000 feet would probably die of a heart attack before they hit the ground. 

:cap_fainting: