Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Z0RAK

Prinz Eugen viable for Ranked?

23 comments in this topic

[1IF]
Members
69 posts
2,559 battles

With 0.7.4 coming out soon and T8 as the tier for (most of) the next season of Ranked, will the addition of the repair party make the Prinz a more viable ship to play or does she still have too many drawbacks to be a decent contender?  Looking at the ship stats on Warships Today for Ranked, the Atago has done pretty good for itself, but Atago also has better torps, better concealment, more speed and more guns.  Prinz has a decent health pool that she will now be able to recover, plus good hydro to help with DDs, and she has decent gun range with high velocity guns.  Also on the plus side, with good angling, she can bounce the AP shells from German, French and British BBs.  

I started late last season, and only after unlocking my first T8; the Bismarck.  I got the Alabama and Prinz Eugen in Santa crates, but only played the 'Bama last season.  I'd like to have some more variety this season, but my T8s are limited to 'Bama, Bismarck, Roma, Prinz, Edinburgh and Charles Martel.  I will probably unlock the Richelieu by the end of the month and if I really delve into DD play, the Benson.  

Thoughts?

Members
1,119 posts
3,141 battles

I'd say it's viable, but there are definitely better choices, especially atago, because it has great HE and very good AP. If you have to, use it, if not, go with something else. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
16 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

especially atago, because it has great HE and very good AP.

People say this all the time, but I have yet to actually see it in action...

300 battles; 30k average damage...

Beta Testers
365 posts
9,161 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

People say this all the time, but I have yet to actually see it in action...

300 battles; 30k average damage...

367 battles in Atago for me, average dam 52k. Atago works :) And it works good in T8 ranked.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles

Here's how things worked out in last Tier VIII Ranked.  The German Cruisers were a bit on the bottom half of performance.

NSOnUzi.jpg

Not saying it's impossible to do great in them.  Far from it.  Someone a while back Ranked Out in the POS Indianapolis.  So anything is possible if you are good enough.  But honestly, it looked rough for Cruisers in last VIII Ranked.

But the disparity in performance from Cruisers like Hipper / Prinz Eugen, NOLA are pretty noticeable compared to Charles Martel, Mogami, Chapayev (Radar & DPM Ace), Atago, Kutuzov.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,658 posts
8,039 battles

With the heal she could be somehow tanky for a T8 cruiser. First she can bow tank against Richelieu and Bismarck/Tirpitz thanks to her 27mm bow. But as mention above, we still have better choice when it comes to cruiser. Chapayev, New Orleans / Baltimore, maybe Cleveland ? thanks to her radars. Atago seems good with her concealment, Charles Martel is also good to annoy BB.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles
4 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

With the heal she could be somehow tanky for a T8 cruiser. First she can bow tank against Richelieu and Bismarck/Tirpitz thanks to her 27mm bow. But as mention above, we still have better choice when it comes to cruiser. Chapayev, New Orleans / Baltimore, maybe Cleveland ? thanks to her radars. Atago seems good with her concealment, Charles Martel is also good to annoy BB.

I don't think the USN Cruiser Split will happen in time.  New Orleans had a lot of trouble last Ranked Season though.

The ability of Hipper / Prinz to bounce 380mm AP is certainly cool as right now, they are the only Tier VIII Cruisers that can do that (until VIII Baltimore comes down).  Tirpitz, Bismarck, Richelieu I expect to show up a lot.  Gas Can to a lesser degree.  Plenty of 380mm shells for them to work agaisnt.  But then again North Carolina is one of the most played BBs and you can bet she'll show up.  Then there's Amagi, Alabama.  Plenty of 16" guns in Ranked.

Anyways, I'm honestly surprised WG is doing VIII again, considering they just did it not long ago.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
11 minutes ago, hexeris said:

367 battles in Atago for me, average dam 52k. Atago works :) And it works good in T8 ranked.

Oh; I have absolutely no doubt about that; just not for me.

Drive an Atago? a Myoko?, a Cleveland? a Bizmark/Tirpitz? major suckage.

Drive a Mutsuki? an Emerald? a Marblehead? a Krasny Kyrm for God's sake... Don't actually do too badly...

That's seems to be my schtick in Warships; do well with bad ships; suck at good ships...

Members
2,209 posts
4,051 battles
14 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I don't think the USN Cruiser Split will happen in time.  New Orleans had a lot of trouble last Ranked Season though.

The ability of Hipper / Prinz to bounce 380mm AP is certainly cool as right now, they are the only Tier VIII Cruisers that can do that (until VIII Baltimore comes down).  Tirpitz, Bismarck, Richelieu I expect to show up a lot.  Gas Can to a lesser degree.  Plenty of 380mm shells for them to work agaisnt.  But then again North Carolina is one of the most played BBs and you can bet she'll show up.  Then there's Amagi, Alabama.  Plenty of 16" guns in Ranked.

Anyways, I'm honestly surprised WG is doing VIII again, considering they just did it not long ago.

I think the last t7 ranked left a bad taste in to many peoples mouth.

The smoke/radar Belfast felt to pay to win. I personally didn't mind but I like pushing blindly into smoke banks.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,658 posts
8,039 battles
20 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I didn't look at stat but I think NO still had a better time than Hipper and Eugen thanks to her concealment and radar.  You can support your DD closer to a cap then radar is something is inside while not be detected once you're out of your spawn. But it still really squishy but with some map awareness it shouldn't be hell.

Hipper and Eugen will certainly be more effective against 380mm BB but they will still receive a lot of HE spam from other cruiser like Charles Martel and Atago and with their stealth it's gonna hurt.

I'm not really surprise WG is doing T8 ranked again, I mean we had a lot of thread about Lo Yang being OP but it's not the same level as Belfast and his radar + smoke at T7. What bother me though it's T10 ranked. We had CW with T10 ship only, now we have Ranked with T10 ship ? This is going to be really expensive and if I find the same team as my last ranked, it will not really encourage me to play more. Maybe people who have T10 ship and no clan will enjoy it but for me I'll just see how it will be.

I would have prefered something like T6--->T8--->T10 instead of T8--->T10---->T7

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,211 posts
6,433 battles
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I didn't look at stat but I think NO still had a better time than Hipper and Eugen thanks to her concealment and radar.  You can support your DD closer to a cap then radar is something is inside while not be detected once you're out of your spawn. But it still really squishy but with some map awareness it shouldn't be hell.

Chapayev had it easier. since it could stealth Radar and fill the air with a volume of Shells. I had good success with Chapayev last season.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Hipper and Eugen will certainly be more effective against 380mm BB but they will still receive a lot of HE spam from other cruiser like Charles Martel and Atago and with their stealth it's gonna hurt.

I'm not really surprise WG is doing T8 ranked again, I mean we had a lot of thread about Lo Yang being OP but it's not the same level as Belfast and his radar + smoke at T7. What bother me though it's T10 ranked. We had CW with T10 ship only, now we have Ranked with T10 ship ? This is going to be really expensive and if I find the same team as my last ranked, it will not really encourage me to play more. Maybe people who have T10 ship and no clan will enjoy it but for me I'll just see how it will be.

I would have prefered something like T6--->T8--->T10 instead of T8--->T10---->T7

I briefly tried NOLA out last VIII Ranked.  Stealth, get in position to use Radar / Hydro at key points of the map to help in the win.  But it's treacherous.  She's squishy as hell.  She's best around islands, but with the teams so small that there's frequent openings that ships push and can quickly destroy NOLA.  A BB pushing a NOLA has zero fear because NOLA has no torps.  The only Tier VIII Cruiser without torpeduz.  If NOLA can get a good spot and her flanks are secure, she can anchor for a long time with consumables, driving off DDs, etc.  She can't tank like Ze Germans, her AA doesn't have good range, she's squishy, she's got no torps... She's just frustrating.

Open water fighting, she's just terrible and gets deleted so easily.  Mogami feels like a GK compared to NOLA.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

i own the Prinz Eugen and I am looking forward to the buff in heal.

However I will not participate in Ranked beyond lvl10 the cost of playing in ranked at tier 10 ships is too prohibitive with the seesaw effect so relevant to getting past lvl 10.  

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,453 battles
32 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

i own the Prinz Eugen and I am looking forward to the buff in heal.

However I will not participate in Ranked beyond lvl10 the cost of playing in ranked at tier 10 ships is too prohibitive with the seesaw effect so relevant to getting past lvl 10.  

Plus your sanity will thankyou, for not taking it any further into the pit of hell, we call ranked :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
587 posts

IMHO If the only change is some form of heal or improved repair that keeps the ship in the game longer the XP should improve. The avg damage per game should improve because the ship is in battle longer...However is that the only change?  Just how much better is this repair party?

Based on last rank maxing out Alabama is a better idea. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

Everything is viable if you play it well enough. Prinz doesn't feel very strong in Ranked though.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Looks like I will skip this season of ranked, too then

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
579 posts
4,554 battles

The Prinz Eugen with a heal and well played will get you to rank 10 I'm sure. From there on though, it wont be needed, but if your goal is to get to 10 then it will be fine.

[SF-3]
Members
1,442 posts
7,901 battles
2 hours ago, _greifer said:

The Prinz Eugen with a heal and well played will get you to rank 10 I'm sure. From there on though, it wont be needed, but if your goal is to get to 10 then it will be fine.

Agree with this. It will be fine for the play required to R10.

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts
10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Sadly, it doesn't look like Baltimore at tier 8 will get the 27mm bow as the dev blog postings listed it with 25mm. Mind you, I'm not an ST or CC and can't confirm if that has changed. Trust me, Baltimore at tier 8 will need it badly given the slow RoF, no heal, and easily pennable armor at all angles.

As for Prinz, I highly suspect that she'll be a contender in T8 ranked because of the heal, on par with Atago. I'm personally really looking forward to the buff as I love that ship. Also, that 27mm bow cannot be underestimated. Used to be that only 16 inch gun ships lived at tier 8, but now, you have Roma, Monarch, Gascogne, Richelieu, Bismarck, and Tirpitz that all use 15 inch shells. Assuming the Eugen player checks for flanking ships, it can easily yolo charge and torp nuke those BBs while taking only AP overpens to it's superstructure.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,868 battles
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Assuming the Eugen player checks for flanking ships, it can easily yolo charge and torp nuke those BBs while taking only AP overpens to it's superstructure. 

Remembering Ranked players are the same that play in every other mode....

"Only AP overpens" assumes 3 out of 4 BBs will not be using HE as its default, or only, shell type. And then there's Monarch...

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,180 posts
2,029 battles

Hmm... As of now, probably a bit underpowered, but with the heal that could change - Atago was a big 'meh' like Eugen is now to most before her heal, and now she's a favorite. I think she'll do decently, with some much health and a heal, she can soak up a lot of damage, and her 27mm hull armor is a big boon - now, the majority of Tier VIII BBs are using 15" guns, not 16" guns. So the 27mm hull armor she had Hipper have are a pretty big advantage (note - Baltimore does NOT have 27mm extremity armor in her down-tiered form), compared to other cruisers.

She might still not be optimal, but I don't think, once she gets the buff, she'll a particularly weak cruiser anymore.

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts
22 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Remembering Ranked players are the same that play in every other mode....

"Only AP overpens" assumes 3 out of 4 BBs will not be using HE as its default, or only, shell type. And then there's Monarch...

HE worries me even less, honestly. Monarch's HE DPM is pretty low compared to most cruisers (although better than Eugen's), and the rate of fire means I'd easily be able to rush him before he kills me. And then heal it back over the next few minutes. The only real dangers are if I try and yolo rush a ship and fail to notice another capital ship showing up to my side with easy access to my citadel.

Obviously, this is assuming your target ship isn't running away. Eugen is not especially fast for a cruiser.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

Sign in to follow this