Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

I Let My Team Down Today

16 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

I was bottom tier in my New Mexico.  The battle was standard and on the Two Brothers map.  Late in the game, we had a fierce fight for our team's base.  After the smoke cleared, only a DD and myself were left on our team.  The enemy had 2 CLs and 1 BB over near their cap.  The 5 minute alarm had already sounded.

Our DD made a run up the channel towards the enemy's base.  I followed in the New Mexico, but could have paddled a rowboat faster of course.  The dd arrived far ahead of me and took out the enemy BB with torps, and as I looked at the timer getting under two minutes, I realized we would win on points if I could take out one of the last two enemy cruisers.  I had fairly good health left so the odds of the last cruiser killing me were almost zero.

I saw the clock was down to 28 seconds as I neared the end of the channel.  One of the enemy CLs was detected and was about to clear for a shot at 2.8 km.  He was broadside as he appeared in view.  As I was aiming I heard the 5 second alarm sound.  Point blank range, I knew I had him dead to rights and the game won.  

I MISSED! 

I just blew it by trying to hurry the shot before time expired.  My biggest weakness playing this game is accuracy, it has caused me to have below average damage numbers and low kills as well.  But that's a shot I make  99 times out of a hundred.

I've often wished that chat stayed open after the game ends, but in this case I'm glad I did not have to hear what my teammates were saying about me.  Obviously I'm still kicking my own butt or I would not be confessing this on a public forum.  

If anyone that was on my team reads this post, please accept my apology for being the biggest potato of the day.  I am truly sorry I blew it.

• Cool 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Sometimes RNGesus Smiles upon you, This was one of those times RNGesus said "NOT TODAY"

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

My worst was an early Graf Spee game last year where I had an incredible match, including yolo charging a full health NC and taking it out.

End of the match, we are ahead by one ship and had points lead. I was concealed with a sliver of health remaining. Right near me was a full health friendly Amagi, and a very low health enemy BB trying to run away. So I took shots at the BB trying to greed a kill, figuring even I die, my Amagi teammate would take him out.

I land some hits, enemy BB fires back, kills me before I could get to cover. Points swing in enemy team's favor. Friendly Amagi fires his guns ... at a far off full health Colorado instead. And does it again 30 seconds later. And again after that. Clock runs out, we lose.

Learned two important lessons that day:

- Don't become visible in a near dead ship when points matter.

- Never EVER rely on teammates in Random to do even the simplest thing when points matter.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

New Mexico only has 14" guns, which can make things quite difficult in T7 and T8 matches. But it has 12 guns. How do you think I feel when RNGesus trolls my well-aimed 8-shell salvo in the QE or Warspite? Or the T7 Colorado? T5 Kongo?

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,687 battles

Hah!

We have all been there, Joe! Every single one of us. Like most things, the more you do it, the better your aim will get! But I believe that no matter how many games we play or how good we get, RNGesus will sometimes treat us badly. Hang in there, brother!

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
780 posts
4,269 battles

keep trying you have good days and bad and some that are just ????????????

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

Thats a super clutch moment right there.

But i can tell you the thing that changed my scores more than anything else i have done, is taking a full breath and revaluating the aim on my first shot on anyone.

Still you have accepted responsibility, thats more than plenty others! Hang in there.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
6 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

If anyone that was on my team reads this post, please accept my apology for being the biggest potato of the day.  I am truly sorry I blew it.

We all have bad games it at times, early this morning I got to division up with one of my PvE clan mates and one of the winners of AdmiralThunder's Co-op Carnage Contest, @Vader_Sama who I asked for some pointers, we are both in Dunkerques and we had a La Galissonnière coming at us from our port side.

Vader said we had to take it out, so I start firing away, and I did sink it, BUT I pulled a BIG BONE HEAD, I did not watch my HUD Map, and I paid for it and got Rammed by a Red Dunkerque. I think I was do worried about letting a Team-Mate/Clan-Mate down, I normal aways try to "keep a eye" on the HUD Map.

So @Joe_918145 just hang in there shipmate I sure you will post a battle on here that will blow us all away.:Smile_honoring:

:cap_haloween:I am sure Vader got a chuckle out of it, (my wife did) as I played my BB as a torpedo!:Smile_facepalm::cap_haloween:

[SIDE]
Members
1,204 posts
8,657 battles
7 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

I was bottom tier in my New Mexico.  The battle was standard and on the Two Brothers map.  Late in the game, we had a fierce fight for our team's base.  After the smoke cleared, only a DD and myself were left on our team.  The enemy had 2 CLs and 1 BB over near their cap.  The 5 minute alarm had already sounded.

Our DD made a run up the channel towards the enemy's base.  I followed in the New Mexico, but could have paddled a rowboat faster of course.  The dd arrived far ahead of me and took out the enemy BB with torps, and as I looked at the timer getting under two minutes, I realized we would win on points if I could take out one of the last two enemy cruisers.  I had fairly good health left so the odds of the last cruiser killing me were almost zero.

I saw the clock was down to 28 seconds as I neared the end of the channel.  One of the enemy CLs was detected and was about to clear for a shot at 2.8 km.  He was broadside as he appeared in view.  As I was aiming I heard the 5 second alarm sound.  Point blank range, I knew I had him dead to rights and the game won.  

I MISSED! 

I just blew it by trying to hurry the shot before time expired.  My biggest weakness playing this game is accuracy, it has caused me to have below average damage numbers and low kills as well.  But that's a shot I make  99 times out of a hundred.

I've often wished that chat stayed open after the game ends, but in this case I'm glad I did not have to hear what my teammates were saying about me.  Obviously I'm still kicking my own butt or I would not be confessing this on a public forum.  

Don't feel bad, these things happen.

My bad play today was running into a middle cap with my Kamikaze, only to run smack into a Phoenix. Normally, I play Fujin etc very well, but not this time. I fired 3 sets of 2 torps at him. I miss. I set my smoke, the Phoenix charges in, I panic and fire all 3 torp sets again...and miss! Then I do a Notser and beach myself. Not my finest moment.

Normally play cruisers and destroyers and usually subpar with BB's, but a couple of games later I jump into my Missouri. 165k and 4 kills, 900k or so in silver.

Just goes to show you that although you can do badly in one game, you can pull off a great game later.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,467 battles
8 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

I MISSED! 

As long as you do your best, that is all we can all hope for. Regardless a close game is an exciting game. GG  :Smile_honoring:

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,775 posts
12,891 battles

I have a saying:

'Tis better to let your team down today, than have a let down tonight.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

I remember a domination game I had a week or two ago. I was the last one on my team against an Alabama and Dunkerque. The Dunkerque was capping and I didn't shoot it to reset. If I reset the cap just once we wouldn't of lost 996-1000 :Smile_sad:

Members
17,784 posts
5,084 battles

Heh, apologising for "oops" moments is a solid way to elevate your post count quickly!:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
368 posts
8,968 battles

When the fight hinges on the critical move of a single player (don't get hit in cap, don't sink the points will let us win, you must make the shot, etc) the game has progressed to the knife's edge of win/lose through a combination of things out of your control.

I don't think there is a single person in the game who can honestly claim they've 'never choked' the decisive moment.  It happens to us all.

Owning that you didn't make it work is healthy but don't beat yourself up too much for it.  These situations are the most exciting but the expectation of victory when it has been pinned to a single player should be accordingly a bit lower. If hypothetically you're losing when you have adequate support but face someone making the 4 v 1 turn into 1 v 1, its nothing to be ashamed of.  The team shares the wins and the losses.

6 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Heh, apologising for "oops" moments is a solid way to elevate your post count quickly!:Smile_teethhappy:

ALSO THIS

Rolling a new battle is always the answer I go for. :cap_yes:

[ICOP]
Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

Thanks for the kind words of support guys.  I'm mostly over it now but I sure felt bad yesterday.

I took Amracil's advice and watched some aiming videos.  I'd seen most of them before, but watching them the second time around couldn't hurt, right?  

Afterwards, I jumped back in the New Mexico and battled on.  I could not hit the broad side of a barn.   It was horrible.  So I came up with a plan.

I switched to coop, and hung back and practiced shots on the bots from greater than 9 km.  Despite what happened in the cap yesterday, it's the longer shots that I struggle with in a BB.  I got better and better as I played more games, and later in the day I returned to random battles.

The last several games went very well, and I was able to make better shots at longer range.  Finished out the day at 50% in the New Mexico which kept me at 50% for the ship. 

I finished out the day driving the Phoenix for two wins.  I still love that ship as she is so much fun with all that speed and maneuverability.  

Hope to see y'all on the map sometime.....

Members
416 posts

Low tier BBs get a semi-pass when it comes to dispersion. It's brutal. If anything, OP, you at least admitted that your shots didn't land where you wanted. And to be fair, the game coming down to a single salvo isn't the most reasonable when it comes to judging performance.

Sign in to follow this