Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Wanting to improve Torp DD guns

15 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles

Ok I have PM, LS, TAE, and CE as my Basic Torp DD skills for Fubuki and Akatsuki, just got Shinome as well.  Thinking EM and maybe AR Torps and for the guns, but any other suggestions on improving the guns since I do end up in some skirmishes at times. Not sure the what the most optimal skill set would be?

[WOLF5]
Members
256 posts
17 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ok I have PM, LS, TAE, and CE as my Basic Torp DD skills for Fubuki and Akatsuki, just got Shinome as well.  Thinking EM and maybe AR Torps and for the guns, but any other suggestions on improving the guns since I do end up in some skirmishes at times. Not sure the what the most optimal skill set would be?

Only have the Shinome ,and regardless of what combination of skills i use,,ship gets outgunned by a fishing boat.......

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles
3 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Only have the Shinome ,and regardless of what combination of skills i use,,ship gets outgunned by a fishing boat.......

Yeah noticing that my Fubuki and Akatsuki seem to have better guns. Wargaming has ripped me off on the Shinome.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles
9 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Why don't you have PT? Especially for an IJN DD, that's a must.

Because when sneaking around and keeping eye on the mini map I know who is targeting me. People can say what they want to about gaming on an IMac, but screen size is generous enough to allow you to see things like shells flying at you quite well lol.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

AR is definitely the way to go since it affects both your guns and torpedoes. I believe however you shouldn't devote too many points trying to make torp DDs passable gunships. I feel like the spotting advantage you get and thus almost always the alpha strike, and the pretty good ballistics of the 127s are tools of their own to dissuading any DD wanting to push you too far.

Edited by warheart1992

[STP]
Members
239 posts
8,187 battles

1- PT (or PM, your choice...)
2- EM, AR , LS
3- TAE , SI
4- CE
the last 2 points are of your choice ...
PS: in bold are the main skills

Edited by xavier_556

Members
603 posts
7,010 battles

my IJN DD with 12.7cm gun run EM and BFT

i didn't spend any capt. point on their torp tho (cos trolling other DD with IJN guns is fun)

my shiratsuyu, kagero, yugumo, shimakaze build (with a 19pt capt)

1. PT, PM

2. EM, LS

3. SE, BFT, SI

4. CE

[SYN]
Members
504 posts
5,970 battles

I don't even think about making the guns better on IJN DD's. PT, LS, SE, and CE. Then SI, TAE, and AR. I have two IJN captains above 17 points. One has the AR skill and is working on the SI. The other is working on AR. 

Guns, when I am in the IJN DD are for, when I am waiting to be dead and want to score something. When the red DD needs a coup de grace (or is half health to my full health).  Maybe some other situations, but being able to move in privacy on the seas is too important to give up by shooting. 

I am interested in determining whether the looonng reload time of the Shimi's torps changes my mind.  I have puchased it, but haven't sailed it yet. I want to keep my T8 and T9 captains in place. I have only a few games before I unlock the final mission to obtain Yamamoto. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
16 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Why don't you have PT? Especially for an IJN DD, that's a must.

Not necessarily. If spotted, you probably want to be dodging anyway. It is nice to know it the whole damn red fleet is trying to kill you but your reaction should be the same (WASD, hide) whereas it is also important to keep your modules in case/when you do get hit so PM is a valid choice. Modules can also work as armor so the more shots it takes to destroy it, the less damage your ship takes (or so I understand).  For a gunboat DD, you want to know when it is time to go dark. In a torp DD, it is always time to go dark. If the OP is actually trying to make his IJN DD into a gunboat, then PT would be a MUST. It is, however, a fools errand thinking you can make a typical IJN DD into a good gunboat. You can make them better gunboats, but they will always be inferior to the real gunboats. (Akizuki is not a typical IJN DD)

Edited by Sabot_100

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,741 posts
7,373 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not necessarily. If spotted, you probably want to be dodging anyway. It is nice to know it the whole damn red fleet is trying to kill you but your reaction should be the same (WASD, hide) whereas it is also important to keep your modules in case/when you do get hit so PM is a valid choice. Modules can also work as armor so the more shots it takes to destroy it, the less damage your ship takes (or so I understand).  For a gunboat DD, you want to know when it is time to go dark. In a torp DD, it is always time to go dark. If the OP is actually trying to make his IJN DD into a gunboat, then PT would be a MUST. It is, however, a fools errand thinking you can make a typical IJN DD into a good gunboat. You can make them better gunboats, but they will always be inferior to the real gunboats. (Akizuki is not a typical IJN DD)

I dunno. I use Akatsuki and Yugumo as all purpose DD's. Clearly, Fubuki, the Kami sisters, Kagero don't work in that regard. My builds for Akat and Yugu make them better than RU DD's. Again, it's specifically those DD's it works with. While I use my Yugu captain on the Kami triplets, I don't get the full effect.

I also use PT for IJN DD's becuse knowing exactly how many are aiming at me helps me decide to push further in for a better firing solution. Then again, I use PT on every single DD, so. Yeah. Lol.

Members
603 posts
7,010 battles

I’d say PT does open up your offensive option.  It gives me a reference on should I pop smoke or not, especially I like to open fire quite a lot. Knowing no one aiming at me allow to to just keep firing without worry return fire.

imo yugumo is the best IJN DD to try a more gun focus build. She has good gun range, good reload (for IJN 12.7 standard)

other than yugumo, i’d say akatsuki / shiratsuyu can work too. My gun focus IJN DD gun down quite a lot of other DD tbh. The trick is to get in an advantageous position before open fire

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
32 minutes ago, SkyRail said:

other than yugumo, i’d say akatsuki / shiratsuyu can work too.

Shiratsuyu??? That boats claims to fame are the TRB and stealth, both of which lose a lot of effectiveness when you use your guns. It is a DD that tends to get focused when spotted. It only has 5 guns of which only 2 can fire fore or aft. It has low hit points and it is slow so relatively easy to kill. The only DD that can't chase you down is the Akizuki and you really don't want to be pretending to be a gunboat with one of them anywhere on the map. Many cruisers can catch you. In almost all cases in that ship, if I am spotted, my primary task is to get unspotted. There are a few cases where you may want to or have to use your guns but I can't see speccing the ship in any way as a gunboat except possibly taking EM to make the turrets actually turn and AR  which also loads your torps faster. I have RPF so I can avoid having to use my guns.

I will confess to gleefully bullying a Mutsuki when the situation presents itself:Smile_playing:

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
603 posts
7,010 battles
11 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Shiratsuyu??? That boats claims to fame are the TRB and stealth, both of which lose a lot of effectiveness when you use your guns. It is a DD that tends to get focused when spotted. It only has 5 guns of which only 2 can fire fore or aft. It has low hit points and it is slow so relatively easy to kill. The only DD that can't chase you down is the Akizuki and you really don't want to be pretending to be a gunboat with one of them anywhere on the map. Many cruisers can catch you. In almost all cases in that ship, if I am spotted, my primary task is to get unspotted. There are a few cases where you may want to or have to use your guns but I can't see speccing the ship in any way as a gunboat except possibly taking EM to make the turrets actually turn and AR  which also loads your torps faster. I have RPF so I can avoid having to use my guns.

I will confess to gleefully bullying a Mutsuki when the situation presents itself:Smile_playing:

Shiratsuyu indeed plays a bit different than Yugumo, Akatsuki, Kagero.

I like to put a speed flag to makes her just a bit better in speed. 

her guns layout also limit they way you can turn if you choose to use your gun.

a long gun fight is a no no for this ship. you can only do a few salvo, stealth back, and re-engage. Nice that her 5.8 km concealment is still good and workable. Her turning circle is small so thats good.

a plus for her is she has better gun range than kagero (poor kagero) so longer fight is preferable.

I still remember gunning down full health Sims, Mahan, and even the gadjah mada. positioning is really the key.

its funny cos I found that gunning down other DD with IJN DD guns is fun and extremely trollish. and I make my every IJN DD able to do just that

Members
1,640 posts
9,728 battles

https://replayswows.com/replay/21038#stats

A replay with some decent gun fighting against a Benson and Chung Mu.  Understand how to fight to your advantages.  This replay isnt clean, I do make a gamble that cost me some HP, but its a decent one for discussion.

Sign in to follow this