Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
sulghunter331

A Question Regarding AA Mechanics

9 comments in this topic

[HCH]
Beta Testers
858 posts
7,179 battles

Just a simple question. When a squadron of planes enter the AA field of a ship, do all of the AA guns on the ship fire at the fore-mentioned squadron, or are the AA guns that can actually see the squadron the only ones that fire. I wonder because if the first case is so, then a "realistic" excuse could be made to ninja-nerf AA power-creep via ensuring that only AA guns that have a bead on enemy aircraft can fire, instead of the entire AA suite at once.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,721 posts
9,508 battles

NO, when planes enter the AA bubble, the far-test of the AA range will fire first, and then as the planes get in closer, the second layer range AA fire, then when it get so close in, 2KM, all AA is actively fire.

You can check the range of each ship specific AA in port screen and learn the range

[SALVO]
Members
16,745 posts
17,328 battles
55 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

All AA guns in range fire on that target, think of AA as an aura around the ship. The wiki can help explain in more detail http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aerial_Combat#Anti-Air_.28AA.29_Defense

Frankly, they should probably change it so that only about half of a ship's AA guns can fire on any AA target.  After all, I doubt that it's even possible for ALL of the AA guns to fire in a single direction.  It's probably more likely that about 50% of the ship's AA firepower can be concentrated on any given angle.

Just a thought...

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I just wish the AA you see in WWII Footage was as thick in game with all the black bursts.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Frankly, they should probably change it so that only about half of a ship's AA guns can fire on any AA target.  After all, I doubt that it's even possible for ALL of the AA guns to fire in a single direction.  It's probably more likely that about 50% of the ship's AA firepower can be concentrated on any given angle.

Just a thought...

Thats an interesting idea, although i disagree with 50%, depending on gun locations i would expect the high number to be closer to 75 and the low to be closer to 30. Although i am not sure i want to use server resources on 3d geometric calculations for AA, which is what i suspect caused them to do the aura system in the first place.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,968 battles
47 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Just a thought...

I think the issue with this is each gun would have to be individually checked to see if it could fire which would just be more pain than it’s worth. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,745 posts
17,328 battles
1 hour ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I think the issue with this is each gun would have to be individually checked to see if it could fire which would just be more pain than it’s worth. 

This is why I just said that they could just assume that no more than 50% of the ship's total AA can engage in any given direction.

[SALVO]
Members
16,745 posts
17,328 battles
1 hour ago, c3shooter said:

Thats an interesting idea, although i disagree with 50%, depending on gun locations i would expect the high number to be closer to 75 and the low to be closer to 30. Although i am not sure i want to use server resources on 3d geometric calculations for AA, which is what i suspect caused them to do the aura system in the first place.

Whatever the number, the idea would be to figure out a rough number for what percentage of the ship's AA could engage in any given direction in the most general sense.  Nothing requiring constant calculations.

Sign in to follow this