You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VictoryInThePacific

Favorite ship from the WW2 Pacific theater

102 comments in this topic

Members
51 posts
1,048 battles

Specifically, favorite cruiser or bigger from the USA, from Japan, and from the other Allied navies (British/Dutch/Australian). Favorite from real-life not necessarily the game (although I image those may be the same for many people).

Myself, Texas, Kirishima, Formidable.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles

Why 'cruiser or bigger'?

I'm going to ignore that and post Admiralen:

ViAJqly.jpg

TRitZRs.jpg

mDsjZMU.jpg

kqoq56t.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles

A tough ship to play well but for me the beautiful Takao-class heavy cruiser Atago.

Here's a nice painting of the Takao herself:

5ace6af1916f9_IJNTAKAO.thumb.jpg.6dd0fafdce79c18a3ad30fb85ec622cf.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
203 posts
127 battles

You say bigger than a cruiser I say forget it mine is smaller and it ripped the bow of a cruiser! 

Imagen relacionada

The greathest of all tins cans USS Johnston DD557

• Cool 1

Members
203 posts
127 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Why 'cruiser or bigger'?

I'm going to ignore that and post Admiralen:

ViAJqly.jpg

TRitZRs.jpg

mDsjZMU.jpg

kqoq56t.jpg

Any particular reason. Not to criticize  just corious about what you see on this Duch girl.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
38 minutes ago, MS406france1940 said:

Any particular reason. Not to criticize  just corious about what you see on this Duch girl.

I like the lines, all eight built were storied and tragic vessels, all eight were in the thick of it and fought for what they were worth despite being outdated and they were known to carry a sea plane.

Plus there's the whole pulling for the home team thing.

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles

I've got a special place in my heart for the little Barnegat class seaplane tender as my grandfather served in a VPB squadron aboard a PBY Catalina with the USN during WW2 in the Pacific theatre.

Here is an example of the Barnegat Class, the USS Casco AVP-12.

Edit: Fixed image issue.

USS Casco AVP-12 Barnegat class seaplane tender.JPG

USS Casco APV-12.JPG

Edited by daVinci761st

[BLHK]
Members
293 posts
3,305 battles
1 hour ago, MS406france1940 said:

You say bigger than a cruiser I say forget it mine is smaller and it ripped the bow of a cruiser! 

Imagen relacionada

The greathest of all tins cans USS Johnston DD557

Yes the Chuck Norris of warships!

Nice choice

• Cool 1

Members
321 posts
2,900 battles

Gearing-class, Iowa-class, Cleveland-class, USS Atlanta, USS Saratoga, the US 5"/38 DP gun, the Bofors 40mm, Richelieu

[RELSH]
Supertester
314 posts
3,934 battles

USS Washington.  Reasons are; I'm from Washington (was born less then 3 miles from the Everett Naval Yards) and because USS Washington sank HIJMS Kirishima who was busy battering a self crippled USS South Dakota (gotta love engineering officers who trip the wrong circuit cutting power to the main battery turrets), with the help of HIJMS Atago, Takao, Sendai and Nagara.  Another good reason is that throughout her wartime service, BB-56 never took a hit or lost a man to enemy action, it was another of those pesky South Dakota class Battleships specifically USS Indiana this time, who when crushing USS Washington's bow killed some of her crew.

close second is the Takao-class Heavy Cruisers, they have beautiful lines, and they were workhorses, alongside their Myoko and Mogami cousins.

• Cool 2

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
787 posts
5,771 battles
On 4/12/2018 at 9:43 AM, Harkaran532 said:

For  me it would have to be the grey ghost The USS Enterprise CV(N) - 6

AircraftCarrier_USS_Enterprise_CV-6_03.jpg

images (1).jpg

USS Enterprise (CV-6) hung in there for almost the entire war in the Pacific theater. She was knocked out by a kamikaze attack but otherwise would've been able to participate in the sinking of the Yamato.

My other favorite vessels were any of the Iowa class BBs and this little destroyer:

USS Sigsbee (DD-502)

USS Sigsbee (DD-502)

Served as a radar picket off the coast of Okinawa, hit by a near-fatal kamikaze attack but continued to fight off incoming aircraft while damage control parties worked to save the ship.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,064 posts
8,840 battles

Big E

[TOG]
Members
8 posts
3,527 battles

USS Franklin (CV-13) for me because my uncle, who was killed before I was born, died aboard her on March 19, 1945, near the coast of Japan.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,501 posts
7,364 battles

Would have to be my Dad's second ship, USS NORTHAMPTON CA-26.

One of the Treaty Cruisers, Northampton was commissioned in 1930, and was at sea on December 7, 1941.

Returned to Pearl the day after, and was assigned to Task Force 16, under Adm. Halsey.

Bombarded Wotje and Wake Island in Feb 1942. Then assigned to USS HORNET for the Doolittle Raid.

Then reassigned to Enterprise for the Battle of Midway.

In August, joined the Guadalcanal Operation, where, on 15 Sep,  she missed being hit by a torpedo by 800 yards. That torpedo hit North Carolina.

During the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands, on 26 October, which took place without surface contact with the enemy, Northampton went to the aid of Hornet, mortally wounded by enemy aircraft, and provided antiaircraft cover while attempting to take the stricken carrier in tow. Obviously doomed, the carrier was later sunk by destroyer torpedo and gunfire, and the American force retired to the southwest .

Five weeks later, Northampton was hit by two torpedo during the Battle of Tassaforanga, and was lost.

Northampton sank in less than 3 hours, and most of the surviving crew, including my Dad, swam in the pacific, until they were picked up by US Destroyers.

USS_Northhampton_(CA-26)_August_23_1935.thumb.jpg.59099042c8df339e948772bbdb724a59.jpg

• Cool 1

[DARTH]
Members
532 posts
11,365 battles

I’m surprised herr kitty-kat didn’t pick DeRuyter.  Pretty, brave and tragic, all in one. 

For myself, I’d pick a few favorites, hopefully I won’t have to explain why:

Helena

Tennessee

Sydney

Renown 

Salt Lake City 

washington 

Shropshire 

and, of course, O’Bannon, Johnston, and others 

[TF16B]
Members
8,055 posts
16,992 battles

USS Ward.

There from the beginning, nearly to the end.

USS Nevada.

USS Washington.

USS Edsall.

USS Franklin; because Unsinkable, Fireproof, and probably a Dreadnaught as well, somehow or other, for what she went through.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
51 posts
1,048 battles

<< Why 'cruiser or bigger'?

I'm going to ignore that and post Admiralen: >>

I was particularly looking for ships that appeared in the board game my alias is named after, but if people want to extoll their favorite DDs or submarines or whatnot, that's fine with me as well.

Alpha Tester
4,701 posts
2,401 battles

Enterprise, Johnston, Samuel B Roberts, USS Barb (yes I know it's a sub, but it's got an epic story), Laffey. The usual suspects.

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,666 battles

My favorite would be North Carolina. I believe the North Carolina class is the most cost effcient class of Battleship in the entire WW2. Ask any other nation in the war to create a battleship of her tonnage, you just wouldn't get the same results.

Just a overall fantastic war machine, good enough, elegant, balanced, a testament to the ingenuity of the US engineers and Naval designers of the time.

Edited by The_first_harbinger

Beta Testers
294 posts
3,771 battles

USS Indianapolis (CA 35).  I like her lines and she was there for most of the Pacific war, apparently ADM Spruance's favorite flagship.

Indianapolisptqtr.jpg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,668 posts
9,985 battles

Exeter, Washington, Enterprise.