Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

A Question For Experienced CV Drivers

10 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,301 battles

Hello CV players!

I've started toying with CVs again. I did this once a while back, but didn't get far down the USN line. I decided to give it a go on the IJN line, and the Hosho was a hoot. Now I have the Zuiho and things are somewhat less hoot-ful.

One thing that stands out is the speed with which my fighters get erased. I'm not letting them get pulled into enemy AA coverage, but in air-to-air combat situations they're just filling the seabeds faster than Mitsubishi can build them. I picked-up dog-fighting expert with my last captain's point, and the situation seems even worse. I even lost a flight of fighters to enemy torpedo bombers this morning. 

Any suggestions?

Signed, a CV wannabe

[HINON]
Members
8,836 posts
11 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

He can't strafe with the Zuiho.

OP with the Zuiho you need to play carefully and calculate the worth of your aircraft because you have few replacements. You need to make sure you have enough planes left in the late game to make a difference and not sacrifice them needlessly early on. Also make sure you have the upgrade module on your ship for better guns on the fighters as well as getting your aircraft upgraded as soon as possible. Do not try to dogfight USN fighters unless absolutely necessary as they will wipe the floor with you. You have to lure them into very strong AA or wait till they have taken losses. Against an opposing Zuiho it's a tossup due to them being the same. Best to only make that trade if you are also over good AA. 

Edited by RipNuN2

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
10 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

He can't strafe with the Zuiho.

Whoops.  My bad.  I thought strafing started at tier five rather than tier six.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,484 posts
6,657 battles

Keep going, When you get to Hiryu at t7 things become much more fun. The only hiccup after that will be Taiho at t9 (though it varies)/

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
2 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

Hello CV players!

I've started toying with CVs again. I did this once a while back, but didn't get far down the USN line. I decided to give it a go on the IJN line, and the Hosho was a hoot. Now I have the Zuiho and things are somewhat less hoot-ful.

One thing that stands out is the speed with which my fighters get erased. I'm not letting them get pulled into enemy AA coverage, but in air-to-air combat situations they're just filling the seabeds faster than Mitsubishi can build them. I picked-up dog-fighting expert with my last captain's point, and the situation seems even worse. I even lost a flight of fighters to enemy torpedo bombers this morning. 

Any suggestions?

Signed, a CV wannabe

first question have you got the skill Air Supremacy just have to check if you do.

it all depends on the CV your facing if there CV is a US CV you have to make sure you dogfight over friendly AA its pretty much the only way you will beat them, if there new and dont have the +1 fighter skill sometimes you can beat them in open waters if you have it cause the fight is more balanced 5 vs 6. but US CV have the better fighters at that tier so you allways have to be careful how you play yours. 

losing fighters to TB can happen when you click on them to engage them and your chasing them they do shot back and over time will start to knock out your planes 1 by 1, its a good way if the other team only has one or two fighters left get them to chase a full squad off DB/TB you might lose a plane or two but you will also take there last of there fighters keeping yours free.

zuiho vs zuiho is pretty much a even fight if both players have the same captain skills and come down to RNG if in open waters, keep a eye out as you can be put in a 2 vs 2 CV match where one off them will be tier 6 and can strafe you and theres not much you can do.

without writing a lot off info that will take ages to read there's just some tips that might help you if you need any more help or tips feel free to msg me and ill help you the best i can

good luck and welcome to CV 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

First tiers is... complicated for ijn.

Buuuuut after you be able to straafe (T6) everthing become good for ijn cv. (then you just need focus in improve your skills control the planes)

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,301 battles
20 hours ago, ausanimal said:

first question have you got the skill Air Supremacy just have to check if you do.

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I have air supremacy. I'm a DD main, so had an 11 point captain that I transferred to CVs. 

[USNGL]
Members
85 posts
4,373 battles

Played right 6-9 IJN can easily dominate except at Tier 8 if you go against a competent Enterprise and maybe at 7 against a really good Saipan. Tier 10 is pretty even/ in IJN favor since WG decided to take away a third of Midway's planes. Air supremacy is a must have.

Not for T5 carriers a whole since strafing has been removed it's more a less a T4 that faces better AA. Once you get to T6 as others have said it's vital you learn how to strafe and manual drop effectively. You will get dominated if you can't. That said carriers are a lot of fun. 

Best of Luck

Members
14 posts
1,415 battles

Having played the USN carrier line up to tier 7, it's rough to play a Japanese carrier against a Bogue, he has absolute superiority when it comes to fighters, and unless he's stupid and drives his fighters right over heavy AA, you'll never beat him there. What you do have is more squadrons. It's simple enough to lure away those squadrons, or perhaps even sacrifice some fighters to allow your strike aircraft to get through.

Once you hit T6, things will start looking pretty even, at T7, the Ranger is a joke and as long as you take the slightest degree of care, you'll absolutely dominate it. I've heard the trend continues as you get to higher tiers.

Sign in to follow this