You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landsraad

Myoko? Oh no...

19 comments in this topic

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Ha, puns. Anyway yeah I just got this ship and... I cannot get her to work for the life of me. Granted she's still stock so I'm down a set of torps and some maneuverability, but... Good lord the guns on this thing are just so frustrating! The turret set-up is terrible, their rotation rate is horrid even with Expert Marksman, and she's not exactly the most inconspicuous thing on the waves.

I could play the Aoba just fine, in fact I'm still quite fond of her, but the Myoko is just being so damned difficult. I just want to douse the whole thing in WD-40 to up the turret traverse and ruddershift. Any advice for how to play her?

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

Ahahah I have fun with her! I hated her soo much. Both Furutaka and Aoba were good girls and did very well. Myoko... the only one I sold starting from Tenryuu. 

I hate her gameplay turrets slow as hell HE never worked. Cit city with her. At least you can take comfort with Mo-Mo-chan. Mogami is a good girl. I need to get her back from her vacation lol.

My advice free xp past her lol thats what I did! (Don't listen to me)

Edited by Incendiary_Tanker

[HYDRO]
Members
1,311 posts
3,662 battles

Kiting is the name of the game when playing Myoko. Your shells have good ballistics, you can keep most opponents at a range you are comfortable with and spam HE or use AP on broadsides on cruisers and BBs, the latter when under 10km. Dont try to pull off some crazy torpedo runs and whatnot, The moment you present broadside you will be severely punished. The hull upgrade will improve the situation in regards to rudder shift, and provided you have Concealment expert you will be able to disengage if the situations get too hot. That's just my 2 cents, I personally really liked Myoko.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles

Ok here is a 10 point Captain Build, Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, Demolition Expert, and Concealment Expert. Next couple skill points will need to be Expert Marksman.

Equipment up need is Rudder Shift Mod, and the Equipment that speeds up turret traverse speed at small increase to reload speed.

Gameplay I  often use Myoko ambush predator moving among areas with plenty of islands where I can obliterate DDs and leave torpedoes in the path of incoming BBs before I go pass behind island. Myoko is awesome at hunting DDs lol 1 or 2 salvoes often sinks a DD. Hunting cruisers can be fun as well since if they go broadside to you then use AP on them unless they go bow on or stern on to you then go back to HE.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 2

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
471 posts
5,433 battles

Mogami was the first main line IJN cruiser since Kuma I actually enjoyed...and that's only sometimes. I despise slow turrets. Their torpedo angles are just atrocious. I think power creep has left it's mark here as I'd take a German/French cruiser over IJN any day of the week. Point being, it's NOT just you. The BEST piece of advice I ever got for Myoko is to play it like a weak Battleship, and much like a battleship make sure you're in position and your guns are pointed where you want them before you start shooting and get spotted. Go dark and reposition if you're getting too much attention, again, much like a battleship angle towards as many as you can without switching too many targets, that turret rotation is costly.

Edited by HeathenForay
  • Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,201 battles

Myoko is actually not a bad ship, but can very frustrating for someone new to her.  The HE is pretty good and the AP can really hurt another cruiser if you catch it broadside.  The trick is positioning so you do not have to turn those ridiculously slow gun turrets.  Kiting works well.  I personally would take Expert Marksman before Last Stand because of the turret traverse, however, you will need Last Stand eventually because the rudder/propulsion seems to get shot out regularly.  

The 155mm Mogami seemed like a big improvement after Myoko.  To be honest, if I want to play T7  cruisers, there are other, better options and I rarely go back to the Myoko. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Very capable ship that has no problem being uptiered.

Make good use of your concealment; suprise enemy DDs or broadside cruisers, or go undetected when BBs are firing at you nearby.

Versus BBs; hang in the back and burn them down. 

Regarding the skillpoints I disagree with the people above; Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Demolition Expert and Concealment Expert.

Use Priority Target to see how many people are aiming at you, so that you know when to go undetected. By doing this in clever way you will not need Last Stand (I don’t recc this skill at all), besides better turret traverse is more important so that it can keep up with the wiggling.

One of my favourite ships is the Southern Dragon, a Myoko :) 

[PVE]
Members
496 posts
4,075 battles

She takes some getting used to for certain but after a bit I got her to work out okay. I even decided to keep her around to grow a new captain for the Ibuki when I get around to it (my first captain is staying in the Mogami).

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

Myoko can be a monster in the right hands, but it's floor is a little rough for some. the best thing you can do for yourself is to forget that it has torps, stay at range, and never sail the same line for more than a few seconds.

make sure to upgrade the hull first, because that stock rudder shift is rough on the WASD hax.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
341 posts
6,558 battles

Rudder Module lets you put some of your turning into getting guns on track. Also helps you evade some of the shots coming your way... but I'm not going to lie to you. You are going to get hit. She's a pretty easy target for anything within your guns own range and you have moderate chances of evading longer-range fire.

The good news is, you are pretty tanky for a cruiser and have some decent armor when facing other cruisers ammunition. BB's are the ones you want to watch out for.

The other module to get is the Turret Traverse Module. This will help you to keep guns on target while maneuvering. YOU CANNOT turn full though, or else your guns will not be able to keep on target. But you can do a half turn and the guns will stay with it.

Best thing to do for getting guns on target, is to use this and rudder shift to get the guns on target, fire and then go back to a safer angle (that limits your broadside).

The guns themselves, though slow to traverse, are powerful and have a good chance of setting fires (considering how many shells hit the target). Upping this with the HE fire chance skill and HE penetration skill will give you around 4000dmg every salvo (depending on target, shells hitting, etc. it's around 1000-5500dmg / salvo) from HE with about a guaranteed chance for a fire every other salvo. They also fire pretty straight. Straight enough to hit DD's at maximum range if you know how to lead a little more than usual. Of course a very evasive DD will likely dodge every shot you fire until you close in to within 10km's or so.

The torps... those are strictly for when you are attempting to run away or if you can get them fired off without taking a broadside hit. They are not a primary weapon and should only be used circumstantially. They do work though as a lot of enemies can become rather surprised to see torps coming from a dead ship... yeah, dead. because showing a broadside in this thing is the last thing you want to do lol.

The other main thing about the ship is the Armor. Unlike the other nations cruisers, the Myoko is a tank. It's got the armor to take a beating. Though you will not be putting out the amount of damage you would like (with only two guns able to fire up front), angling is a good way to keep alive. Also, and this is a personal means of gameplay at times, drive the thing in reverse lol. Seriously, your torps become much more useful and you can put more of the guns on target every time you turn to evade shots.

Other than that, concealment can work to your advantage. I don't use it and instead went for the HE skills, but will get to add it soon.

Quick note on playstyle: Do not push up early. You will be spotted and no matter what angle you are at, a BB shell with hurt. Play with the group, focusing on taking out cruisers and DD's and use your guns on BB's to start fires. If the only target you have in range is a BB, by all means, focus it. You and a few other ships can kill it eventually.

Best thing about the Myoko though is the fact that when you fire those 10 shells at a cruiser and they land, they hurt and the enemy knows it (or at least they will very soon). You can use this to scare enemies away or draw their attention (which might open up allies to get some good hits in).

Myoko is moderately better than some other Cruisers for their tier (on par with Russian and German cruisers in terms of damage dealing) at taking on enemy BB's, Good at taking on other Cruisers (again might have some problems with Russian and German cruisers), and a Decent at taking on DD's (US and British ships win this one for sure).

Edited by Levits
  • Cool 1

Members
510 posts
2,575 battles

Myoko.Review

Survivability; when used correctly is actually really good, a decent amount of HP and workable belt armour, angle your belt so at most you take regular pen damage. 

Altillery: the guns are great, AP is workable, HE is great. Turrets are poorly placed but, plan ahead and they work. Also, off the top of my head, Myoko and Kirov are the only cruisers I Dev Striked a cruiser with AP. Fun fact you overmatch the bow of a Fiji.

AA. Is if I am not wrong, better then the Mogami. Also, it will be more likely to protect itself from air attacks. 

Torpedoes. Powerfull with great utility on the torpedoes themselves, but bad arcs. 

Concealment, quite good allowing you to go dark when necessary. 

Maneuverability, not the smallest radius, but a decent rudder shift. 

Tips: 1. Plan ahead, the turn radius, turret placement, rotation speed means you got to plan before making a move. Luckily good concelment is your friend here. 

2. Be a scout, no do not run ahead. But your speed, float fighter, and concealment means you can reliably provide spotting for your team. 

3. You are a HEAVY cruiser, push lightly because you can push open a gap or push the opponent teams flank over when they weak. 

4. You are a heavy CRUISER meaning initiative is punishable. 

5. Use full turn torp drops, instead of making an S shape and exposing your side make a u-turn and slightly continue it droping all your torps. 

6. You are a bit too strong, yes you are a cruiser and you have been power creeped. But, you got the HP, alfa, and armour to squash other cruisers. You also have the HE, fire chance, torps, stealth, and and maneuverability to squash t5,6 BBs. 

• Cool 3

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles

I used to think that nothing could feel as fragile as Emerald.

Then I bought Myoko.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Getting a bit more used to her now. Those guns are citadelling MACHINES and the mods have helped a bit. Still have yet to try her out with the new B hull though.

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,480 battles

I've got the Southern Dragaon and all 4 ARP Myokos and really like them. To me the Myoko is the best Tier 7 cruiser. Have each one set up a little different as far as upgrades and captain skills which keeps it interesting. Wish I had got the ARP Takeo but I missed out on it. Oh well.....

Edited by dust340man

[KNTAI]
Members
173 posts
4,743 battles

Myoko is a kiter. Keep your distance with her because she'll be outgunned by all other cruisers at her tier, unless they're foolish enough to let you get a clear shot at their broadsides. Due to your turret placement, you can't go full out against an enemy because the only way to get all your guns on target is to angle away - angling in will get you killed very quickly, so avoid doing so if possible.

Only use AP against broadside CAs and HE for everything else. This is the general rule for IJN Cruisers as a whole.

This also brings up another point in regards to her torpedo angles - you cannot use them in a close-range fight unless you want to get deleted. The only time you should ever use them is when you're kiting away and the enemy that's chasing you are within 11km and running at full speed. Then you shoot them, cross your fingers, and hope you get a hit.

Though to be honest, I can't play her anymore ever since I got Atago and Mogami - mainly because those two have much better concealment than Myoko or in Mogami's case, ludicrously powerful guns.

[ODIN]
Members
20 posts
8,455 battles

Got my last Kraken with Myoko. It's a great ship,but it will most depend of MM.  If you find yourself overtiered,usually you can't do much.

Beta Testers
29 posts
7,996 battles

Myoko is one of the Lucky 7s, meaning as a Tier 7, luck is not on your side that you will most likely be citideled in the online shots of the match much like Pensacola. I liken her to a fat sniper, she has terrible concealment, a more competitive range (then the two previous ships) against other nation ships, and has a big citidel in the as̶s̶ aft. Plunging shots that go over the bow towards the stern and strike the deck will citideled.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,588 posts
14,010 battles

I love Myoko.  The turret traverse is horrible but I've got a weird workaround for that.  EM + MBM2.  The only ship in the entire game I use MBM2.  The hit to gun reload isn't too bad.

She's a very good general purpose Cruiser.  Fairly stealthy as a Tier VII Cruiser, amazing HE shells with high Fire Chance makes them very good in dealing with all target types, especially burning Battleships down.  The AP is still strong enough in punishing the appropriate ships if the opportunity is there.  This is in contrast to Pensacola who has very strong AP but very mediocre HE performance.  Pensacola is better in dealing with Cruisers while her HE shells are mediocre against Battleships.  And in WoWS, it's really "World of Battleships," especially in the tier range Tier VII Cruisers are stuck in.  Just be sure to make use of the AP when the time is right.  Don't be like RN BB players that forget what AP shells are.

Another nice little feature of Myoko are her long ranged, hard hitting 10k torps.  The launch angles favor side-rear launches.  Combine this with a stealth build, Myoko is very good in kiting above her concealment range and dropping torps into pursuers.  She can do this, drop one side of torps, turn, drop the other side of torps, and have a decent reload time to do this.  She has the stealth to do this undetected if you play the speed, range, concealment game correctly.  If some poor schmuck gets hit and a flood lands, BAM!  Slam them with HE after their DCP goes into CD, set the f--ker on fire and make them pay!

Her AA is terrible but at least with Defensive Fire, she can panic the bombers so you should not get absolutely nuked by air attacks.

I really like her as her combination of stealth, reliable shells, long ranged torpedoes give Myoko answers for many tactical problems.

She can reliably deal with Cruisers and Destroyers with her guns.

She can burn BBs to a crisp.  Her solid HE shells will anger even Tier IX BBs as you roast them.  Those HE shells let her scale respectably even in a Tier IX fight where there's a lot of strong BBs there.

She's very dangerous on the kite / fighting retreat.

The only thing Myoko doesn't do is swat planes like Cleveland, nor play the Radar Cruiser role as she doesn't have that consumable.  Everything else, she has answers for.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
29 posts

I play the Myoko like I play every IJN cruiser: Fire from stealthed positions, drop back into concealment if you're not already behind an island, and move on. Keep moving, but you can't park behind cover most of the time unlike USN cruisers. Use your superior concealment values to work opportunistically on the fringes and pick off out-of-position DDs and set BBs that have their guns pointed away from you on fire. Switch to AP if you see a broadside cruiser and get some delicious citadels. Use your torpedoes defensively if the enemy is pushing into your position too hard, preferably while kiting, since the Myoko (like 80% of the IJN crusiers) has rear-facing torp launchers. Do NOT attempt to use them offensively if you're spotted or in danger of being spotted. You can and will get instantly deleted via citadels by any BBs or CAs that capitalize on your broadside since you have to turn your ship completely around to launch torps.

IJN CAs are at their best when kiting and dictating engagements to their advantage. They are at their worst when having to be super-aggressive and push into enemy fire. They melt under focused fire, since they have, at best, 25mm of general, all-around armor. HE especially is not friendly to them, regardless of whether or not the enemy has IFHE. Anything with 150mm+ guns don't need IFHE to hit every HE pen on you, and that is why kiting while wiggling back and forth or changing speeds at range is your best bet if you are forced into an open firefight.

Edited by Spectacular_Insanity