You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

A question about stats

21 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,225 posts
5,669 battles

I was looking at my stats over the last couple of weeks. In solo battles, I had a 63% win rate and a WTR of 1358. In a three-ship division, my win rate jumps by 10% to 73% but my WTR drops to 1214. All of my individual numbers drop as well except for kill to death ratio. Is that because the other guys I am playing with are of similar skill and they are doing their share of killing so there is less opportunity for me to deal damage and kills. I always FEEL like I play better in a division....however the World OF Warships Today stats say otherwise.

[FML]
Members
1,633 posts
9,910 battles
14 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I was looking at my stats over the last couple of weeks. In solo battles, I had a 63% win rate and a WTR of 1358. In a three-ship division, my win rate jumps by 10% to 73% but my WTR drops to 1214. All of my individual numbers drop as well except for kill to death ratio. Is that because the other guys I am playing with are of similar skill and they are doing their share of killing so there is less opportunity for me to deal damage and kills. I always FEEL like I play better in a division....however the World OF Warships Today stats say otherwise.

Ignore it.  WTR is a contrived approximation of good players beyond just WR (ie, doing damage, getting kills) - so if you and your div mates are being effective, but others are securing the kills, your WTR will go down; similarly, solo farming damage and kills (and continuing to win) means it'll go up.  Ie, its not a great measure.  

[HINON]
Supertester
18,960 posts
12,479 battles
33 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Is that because the other guys I am playing with are of similar skill and they are doing their share of killing so there is less opportunity for me to deal damage and kills.

Basically.

That said, WTR is best not taken too seriously. It is a very flawed metric.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,196 posts
8,798 battles

The most important statistic is "Am I having fun?".

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I imagine you and your div mates focus fire? Good strategy for winning, because enemies near you die faster. Which means you spend more time getting enemies in range to die faster.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Ignore stats, play the game instead.

[TAFY3]
Members
334 posts
7,157 battles

Just a message to those who think stats should be ignored, please understand to some, stats are part of the game and a way to draw additional joy from it

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
10 minutes ago, driedjello said:

Just a message to those who think stats should be ignored, please understand to some, stats are part of the game and a way to draw additional joy from it

I do enjoy looking at some of my stats from time to time. Problem is, apparently my Ryujo stats suck :cap_win: 

Capture3.PNG

Edited by Vangm94
  • Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,225 posts
5,669 battles
47 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

True, I HATE playing by myself, playing with friends is so much more fun, laughing and joking in teamspeak can make losses funny. I just find it bizarre that statistically, I play better solo when I FEEL like I am a much better player in a division working with my friends.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,225 posts
5,669 battles
18 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I do enjoy looking at some of my stats from time to time. Problem is, apparently my Ryujo stats suck :cap_win: 

Capture3.PNG

At least you have the courage to play CV's lol. I am too much of a coward hehehehe

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,196 posts
8,798 battles
Just now, Belthorian said:

True, I HATE playing by myself, playing with friends is so much more fun, laughing and joking in teamspeak can make losses funny. I just find it bizarre that statistically, I play better solo when I FEEL like I am a much better player in a division working with my friends.

I like playing randoms with friends but for solo play I am finding co-op more and more enjoyable.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,225 posts
5,669 battles
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I like playing randoms with friends but for solo play I am finding co-op more and more enjoyable.

lol you better believe I am doing the Battleship and Destroyer Normandy missions on co-op

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,196 posts
8,798 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

lol you better believe I am doing the Battleship and Destroyer Normandy missions on co-op

When I was divisioned I did them in Random including a 250 plus ribbon match in the Belfast when I only needed 100. :Smile_veryhappy:

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,778 posts
12,906 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

All else being equal, it makes sense that your WTR metric will drop when playing in a division that increases your WR.  Your solo WR metric is based against the mean of players in the match.  A 63% WR means you are carrying a lot.  These carries contribute to WTR. 

A division of 63% solo players will often find themselves significantly outclassing their opponents.  Their WR will go up, but their WTR will go down because less WTR stats are accumulated in a quick victory.  The players will "feel" like they are playing better in the division because they ARE PLAYING BETTER.  Playing better (i.e., defeating the enemy quickly) can result in lower WTR.

This is especially true on wins achieved by forcing an opponent into a negative score.  The game just ends...no more cap points.  No more defense points.  No more damage.  No more spotting.  No more potential damage.  yada yada.  

Edit:  This is why I believe WR is the key metric.  Figure out how to win.  Forget WTR..or any other site's "rating" metric.  I've looked at how these ratings are computed and can say with confidence that I know of things I do that contribute to a win that have ZERO NADA ZILCH contribution to the "rating".  If I wished to maximize my "rating" metric, I would focus on those things that contribute most to the metric.  The problem is it would have me focused on "rating" at the expense winning.  That's why I say "Figure out how to win".  Although winning and ratings are often related....they are not strictly dependent...to the point that maximizing a rating might actually result in losing more games than they would lose if they simply maximized what it takes to win.   

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,225 posts
5,669 battles
33 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

When I was divisioned I did them in Random including a 250 plus ribbon match in the Belfast when I only needed 100. :Smile_veryhappy:

lol the Cruiser for Normandy mission are the only ones I do in randoms. It is my goal to complete it on one mission...I have come close but not yet.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,196 posts
8,798 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

lol the Cruiser for Normandy mission are the only ones I do in randoms. It is my goal to complete it on one mission...I have come close but not yet.  :Smile_teethhappy:

I did most of the BB ones in co-op because surviving is much easier although depending on where the bot mind sends them it can be hard to actually get 40k damage.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,225 posts
5,669 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I did most of the BB ones in co-op because surviving is much easier although depending on where the bot mind sends them it can be hard to actually get 40k damage.

I do them in a Yammy, Montana, or Republique, it doesn't matter where they go...I can hit them lol. I will also fire my guns when I don't see anything giving my position away. The computer will counter and send ships my way.

[AK-47]
Members
154 posts
3,106 battles

How would you rate my stats for just starting late dec 2017? 

524D3344-41B8-42E6-B30C-A752A2193276.png

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,225 posts
5,669 battles
40 minutes ago, Paintpro_1 said:

How would you rate my stats for just starting late dec 2017? 

524D3344-41B8-42E6-B30C-A752A2193276.png

Pretty damn good...you have a lot of high tier ships in a short period of time. It took me forever to grind to the Montana. Good job.

[SYN]
Members
4,532 posts
11,434 battles
On 4/11/2018 at 6:22 AM, Belthorian said:

Think of the times when playing solo randoms, that your team was so good that you hardly had an opportunity to have a meaningful impact.  Everyone is doing well, thus individual results are diluted.  Divisions are the same way on a small scale.

Edited by Kuckoo

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts
On 4/11/2018 at 9:02 AM, BrushWolf said:

It’s the only rational reason to keep playing and probrably the most important metric involved in WG profits.