You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BenAubrey

Mutsuki.....was it worth it to spend hours to get this ship?

32 comments in this topic

Members
55 posts
4,533 battles

I am so disappointed...new player...enjoying the game til now.  So much so bought a 30 day prem pack to see how that worked.  And then......I updated from the Isotake destroyer to the Mutsuki.  This thing is HORRIBLE.  Why when leveling through classes, would the next level ship be such a step down from the Isotake?  It is fast..I will give it that...but it is nowhere as stealthy...the torps take forever to reload...as well as the guns.  I don't get it......spend all the hours to get to level 5....and this is the next "step up".

I watched an enemy BB from 6 klicks ....just simply TURN and run in between the torps... and by the time the second angled set got there...he turned AGAIN....it's like telegraphing a punch.....would never happen on the Iso......

What am I missing?  Is it like that for other classes of ships at level 5?  I have a level six Farragut...it was a step up from the level five..and before that the level 4.......does it get better at any level so that the Japaneses destroyer is comparable to the Isotake?

Thanks for reading the rant...but I feel like leveling this has been a waste of time.

Members
279 posts
724 battles

Due to the current game mechanics and torp detection distance, yes, it is called "Mut-sucky" with cause.

Any game with a CV = fail.  After that, its strategy sets the tone for the rest of the DD torp-boat line.

1. Stay concealed.  If the enemy know where you have been within the last 4 minutes, your torps will automatically be dodged.

2. Travel with a friend.  A gunboat DD is a great partner.  Although your guns suck, 2v1 = dead enemy DD and winning the local cap.

3. Don't cap (see 2)

4. Flank enemy BBs late in the game.  To dodge your torps, they need to expose citadel to your BBs.

Edited by Fiona_Marshe
  • Cool 3

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Spent weeks to get Shimakaze. Imagine my dissapointment.

Go a different line if you are already dissapointed?

Edit: US, KM or PA?

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[RKLES]
Members
7,077 posts
8,720 battles

Yeah Mutsuki has a great many flaws, but it is only tier V and does get the 10km Torps which are longer range than the rest of tier V ship torpedoes. Just be patient because the next ship that comes after Mutsuki is the tier VI Fubuki and Fubuki is when the line starts getting really good. And you will have a great sense of accomplishment getting their and above if you have had some difficulty in the climb up.

Also a tip on the Mutsuki is for DDs you want to kind of think of it as a submarine where you are sneaking around for Torpedo attacks, but must not get detected or else you will be depth charged and subs can’t use their guns under water right? I know there are no subs in this game, but the mentality of how you attack using only torpedoes and from stealth are similar ideas.

Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, Torpedo Expert, and Concealment Expert Captain Skills to be Standard isssue for all your Japanese Destroyers in that line.

Also the most important thing to do in IJN DDs is when you first get them and play their 1st battke hit the “P” key to disable the AA guns since the AA is useless and will only make you more detectable from the air. Once you have hit that “P” key you will notice a yellow icon appear next to your Consumables which is to inform you that your AA guns ar turned off, and your AA guns will stay off every battle forever unless you turn them back on using same key. You have to do this with each new ship in that line though.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,077 posts
8,720 battles
9 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

No the Fubuki, Akatsuki, And Kagero are well worth getting and keeping to use.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

First of all, NEVER compare a stock ship to the fully upgraded ship that came before it.  Never judge a stock ship, because many of them are bad.  There is a very good reason why many players use Free XP mostly to upgrade hulls, fire control systems, and main batteries as soon as they buy a higher tier ship.  I can't count how many ships I thought were horrid when I first got them, but then really liked them once I got the modules upgraded.

Second, you are experiencing the most difficult tier increase in the game.  Tier 4 is protected and will never see tier 6's.  Tier 5 is not protected, and you will see a lot of tier 6 and tier 7 ships.  Many very experienced players play tier 6 and 7, so the learning curve gets a bit steeper for the less experienced players coming into those tiers for the first time.

Be patient, play wisely, and learn as you go.  Once you get to tier 6 you won't be bottom tier as often.

• Cool 2

[HYDRO]
Members
1,275 posts
3,653 battles

Tier 5 in general is in a bad spot. You get out of protected matchmaking to fight up to T7 battles. The torpedoes have actually reasonable reload,  73 seconds are totally respectable, and a tier VI you keep the same reload while having an extra torpedo launcher.

In addition,  to play a torpedo boat successfully you mustn't always use the white predictive line. This line is only accurate if the ship keeps its course AND speed. You have to anticipate how your opponent might change direction. For example, if an opponent is completing a turn you have to aim far ahead with torpedoes because ships bleed speed on turns, then accelerate. The issue with torpedo boats anyway is that they are reliant on your opponents lack of attention as well, so don't be necessarily dissuaded by that.

[WG-CC]
[WG-CC]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members
851 posts
7,513 battles
42 minutes ago, BenAubrey said:

I am so disappointed...new player...enjoying the game til now.  So much so bought a 30 day prem pack to see how that worked.  And then......I updated from the Isotake destroyer to the Mutsuki.  This thing is HORRIBLE.  Why when leveling through classes, would the next level ship be such a step down from the Isotake?  It is fast..I will give it that...but it is nowhere as stealthy...the torps take forever to reload...as well as the guns.  I don't get it......spend all the hours to get to level 5....and this is the next "step up".

I watched an enemy BB from 6 klicks ....just simply TURN and run in between the torps... and by the time the second angled set got there...he turned AGAIN....it's like telegraphing a punch.....would never happen on the Iso......

What am I missing?  Is it like that for other classes of ships at level 5?  I have a level six Farragut...it was a step up from the level five..and before that the level 4.......does it get better at any level so that the Japaneses destroyer is comparable to the Isotake?

Thanks for reading the rant...but I feel like leveling this has been a waste of time.

All ships can be frustrating while stock. Once you upgrade the hull, retrain your captain, and mount upgrades it should be more fun to play.

[PVE]
Members
491 posts
4,063 battles

I didn't find Mutsuki enjoyable either mainly because you will get outspotted by Kamikazes which are no longer available for purchase and they tend to have high skilled commanders that already have concealment expert and other helpful skills that you don't have on your commander yet. It isn't as long as a grind yet at T5 so it will be over soon.

[WORX]
Members
1,625 posts
12,630 battles

Well, here are your choices in the DD worlds, 

1. Play the gun DDs which is the strongest side of the DDs compared to torp  DDs, the high tier you go the less variety of torp DDs compared to Gun DDs. ( then any nation other then IJN will do).
  2. Continue on the IJN line granted lower IJN DD play is totally different from upper tier IJN DD play.
  3. Experiment the disaster that is PA-DD with deep water torps.

There is nothing more up and down then playing DDs, one match you can get 80k DMG and in the other 20K DMG but it was enough to win. Other the CVs, Torp DDs are the must hated ships by BB drivers. Gl and HF. Cheers!

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles

Tier V is the wall. You need to have patience and push through it, whatever you're playing.

(The exception in my experience is the Omaha; I love that ship.)

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
387 posts
6,149 battles

For 1 mutsuki isnt a gun boat. That said it has the best torp range among t5 non premium dds, and 2nd dont try to shoot the so called grey line torps all the time.

• Cool 1

[SALTY]
Members
116 posts
4,191 battles
2 hours ago, BenAubrey said:

Mutsuki torps are faster, hit harder, and have more range compared to the Isokaze. The guns have the same DPM due to the difference in reload. You'll get the hang of it. Running into the 'deeper water' of T5 MM can be a real pain.

Edited by harikari25

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,827 battles
2 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Shimakaze is amazing. .. and about to get better

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Tier V, you've not started the hard part of the game yet. Personally I don't like the "Minakaze" and "Hatsuharu" type Destroyers because all of their weapons are streamlined compared to the "Fubuki" type destroyers.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,033 posts
12,511 battles

To the OP's topic question: No, it's not worth it to get to Mutsuki, but it might be worth it to get past that ship. It's the low point in the line by a lot. Every line has one or two stinkers, but Mutsuki is probably the worst in the game, and feels extra bad since Isokaze is borderline overpowered.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,024 battles

Good torp orientated DD training ship. Pretty much how the entire IJN DD feels after that tier, [edited] turn rate, [edited] gun turn rate, [edited] guns, [edited] acceleration, passable camo...

• Cool 2

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i actually liked it at t6.  havn't played it at t5.    its strength is its concealment.   stay hidden and spam torp as much as possible.    guns are usable but  take care to use it when you are either smoked up or for quick kill.  

[SF-3]
Members
1,426 posts
7,870 battles

Welcome to T5, where I suspect WG loses most of its players. It is a terrible ship, but the line(s) gets better. As others have said, power through it, most lines have what I call "trap" ships, you just have to get around them.

[CB-77]
Members
167 posts
1,387 battles

I powered through to the Akatsuki then realized praying for a random torpedo hit isn't fun. At higher tiers people evade and slow torps are bad. I jumped onto the American DD line and have a Farragut now and I'm loving it. It's a gunboat for sure, but the torps aren't that bad. Harassing BBs, capping and settings things on fire is good fun.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
9 minutes ago, Praxz said:

I powered through to the Akatsuki then realized praying for a random torpedo hit isn't fun. At higher tiers people evade and slow torps are bad. I jumped onto the American DD line and have a Farragut now and I'm loving it. It's a gunboat for sure, but the torps aren't that bad. Harassing BBs, capping and settings things on fire is good fun.

IJN DDs can do the same thing, the difference is having patience to not shoot either your guns or your torps and choosing the right ship to harass. My Fubuki and HSF Harekaze both do fine. Shimakaze has to have more patience. Akizuki is questionable...

• 1 low hp BB
    • Harass and potentially kill with guns/torps
  • 1 full hp BB
    • Harass only with torps
  • 2 CAs
    • Your an idiot to try and harass with guns
  • Any full hp non-IJN DD
    • Runaway to support
  • etc.
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
4 hours ago, KAGA_kaini said:

For 1 mutsuki isnt a gun boat. That said it has the best torp range among t5 non premium dds, and 2nd dont try to shoot the so called grey line torps all the time.

Yeah, the only time I use the guns on Mutsuki are if I'm forced or I can try to finish off a boat with a sliver of hp from smoke.  I finished a Texas off from smoke the other day, for example.   Otherwise, as they say, I might as well play a submarine.  Of course, keep in mind that Minekaze has 4 guns, and 21-inch torpedoes, while Mutsuki has 24-inch torpedoes.  

Of course, while I'm grinding the IJN DD line, I do have 10-point captains from Santa boxes, so I have better concealment than most noobs do at this point.   Isokaze with a 5.0 km surface detection is fun!

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,540 posts
13,992 battles

Current Mutsuki is a dream compared to the days I got her, when her max torpedo range was shorter than her concealment range :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles
7 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah Mutsuki has a great many flaws, but it is only tier V and does get the 10km Torps which are longer range than the rest of tier V ship torpedoes. Just be patient because the next ship that comes after Mutsuki is the tier VI Fubuki and Fubuki is when the line starts getting really good. And you will have a great sense of accomplishment getting their and above if you have had some difficulty in the climb up.

Also a tip on the Mutsuki is for DDs you want to kind of think of it as a submarine where you are sneaking around for Torpedo attacks, but must not get detected or else you will be depth charged and subs can’t use their guns under water right? I know there are no subs in this game, but the mentality of how you attack using only torpedoes and from stealth are similar ideas.

Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, Torpedo Expert, and Concealment Expert Captain Skills to be Standard isssue for all your Japanese Destroyers in that line.

Also the most important thing to do in IJN DDs is when you first get them and play their 1st battke hit the “P” key to disable the AA guns since the AA is useless and will only make you more detectable from the air. Once you have hit that “P” key you will notice a yellow icon appear next to your Consumables which is to inform you that your AA guns ar turned off, and your AA guns will stay off every battle forever unless you turn them back on using same key. You have to do this with each new ship in that line though.

1. (This is good +1) I like the Mutt more than the Mini, and the Fubuki is awesome. I started doing this stuff (as well as I am able ) and instantly started doing better and had more fun.

2. T5 really does suck no matter what you are floating.