Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

-50% torpedo detection in next patch is too severe. Needs clarification.

110 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

264
[ARP3]
Members
357 posts
9,908 battles

"the detectability range by air of torpedoes is reduced by half. This will let the "torpedo" destroyers to fulfill their roles more efficiently, especially in battles with aircraft carriers."

Does the reduction apply to the plane or the torpedo?

Some notes:

CV planes spotting range is 8km

Spotting plane is 4km

Fighter plane is is 3.2km

The important questions:

  • Does the change only affect carrier planes? This would make carrier planes the same as the spotter and fighter found on other ships.
  • Does the change simply reduce torpedo detection by 50% for all planes previous values? This would cripple standard spotting planes as they are far slower than carrier planes.
  • Does the reduction only apply to the torpedo? 2km becomes 1km

I'd like some clarification as this would be a bit hit to non cv spotting plane effectiveness.

For those who need a diagram, one is provided.

sDsdJMn.png

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,823
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

When driving a BB the spotting range might as well be 3 km they will still hit. the helmsman won't die from the heart attack he will die with the rest of the crew SURPRISED.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

it doesn't say plane view range, it says detectability range by air of torpedoes. i imagine that means that the air concealment value of all torpedoes is being reduced by half.

example: torpedo that can be seen from the air at 3km is now visible at 1.5km instead.

it would be kinda silly to reduce the total view range of planes, considering that would only stop them from spotting ships and have next to no effect on the spotting range of torpedoes.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[ARP3]
Members
357 posts
9,908 battles
3 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

it doesn't say plane view range, it says detectability range by air of torpedoes. i imagine that means that the air concealment value of all torpedoes is being reduced by half.

example: torpedo that can be seen from the air at 3km is now visible at 1.5km instead.

it would be kinda silly to reduce the total view range of planes, considering that would only stop them from spotting ships and have next to no effect on the spotting range of torpedoes.

This is wargaming we are talking about you know. Same company that nerfed shima torps to uselessness and will soon resell them as the asashio.

Edited by Cit_the_bed
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,398
[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester
4,085 posts
4,098 battles
3 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

This is wargaming we are talking about you know. Same company that nerfed shima torps to uselessness and will soon resell them as the asashio.

Sure this is Wargaming, but it says what it says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
184
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,449 battles
13 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

it doesn't say plane view range, it says detectability range by air of torpedoes. i imagine that means that the air concealment value of all torpedoes is being reduced by half.

example: torpedo that can be seen from the air at 3km is now visible at 1.5km instead.

it would be kinda silly to reduce the total view range of planes, considering that would only stop them from spotting ships and have next to no effect on the spotting range of torpedoes.

Torpedoes detected from the air. Meaning all airplanes detecting them. Meaning all planes that can spot torps from the air. Kind of self
explanatory. Remember, it is being decoded translated from Russian into English. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
184
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,449 battles
18 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

. Same company that nerfed shima torps to uselessness and will soon resell them as the asashio.

LOL... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,435
[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
2 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

"the detectability range by air of torpedoes is reduced by half. This will let the "torpedo" destroyers to fulfill their roles more efficiently, especially in battles with aircraft carriers."

Good.  I'm so sick of torpedo bombers just in the middle of a run, focusing on charging through the flak and machine gun fire to unleash their payload, taking the time out of their busy schedule to turn over and closely inspect the waters to check for torpedoes and radio in their course and heading in an instant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
899
[LEGIO]
Members
2,956 posts
5,370 battles
20 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Good.  I'm so sick of torpedo bombers just in the middle of a run, focusing on charging through the flak and machine gun fire to unleash their payload, taking the time out of their busy schedule to turn over and closely inspect the waters to check for torpedoes and radio in their course and heading in an instant.

Did that break your immersion as a DD in smoke is being data-linked accurate targeting information for his guns and ships are harmlessly colliding into islands?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,435
[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
4 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Did that break your immersion as a DD in smoke is being data-linked accurate targeting information for his guns and ships are harmlessly colliding into islands?

Not really.  I've seen this movie, I know how a telephone works.

I've also seen ships beach, albeit at slow speed.  I would be fine if they took damage through.

Edited by Sventex
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,226
[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles

Guess I might need to redesign my Captain Builds to include that second Catapult aircraft since I will need the extra set of eyes in the sky circling my ship. Also Vigilance Skill might help as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,435
[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Guess I might need to redesign my Captain Builds to include that second Catapult aircraft since I will need the extra set of eyes in the sky circling my ship. Also Vigilance Skill might help as well.

Even if your plane isn't spotting torpedoes, if it's hovering in the right direction, it's protecting you from potential torpedoes anyway because the DD skipper knows not to unleash the salvo until it has passed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
899
[LEGIO]
Members
2,956 posts
5,370 battles
Just now, Sventex said:

Not really.  I've seen this movie, I know how a telephone works.

 

I've also seen ships beach, albeit at slow speed.  I would be fine if they took damage through.

Beach is one thing, slamming into a rock outcropping at 20 knots is another. And let's not forget the ability of 1.5" of structural steel to deflect 16" shells like they're made of paper. Or the unlimited torpedoes, or instantaneous damage control, or HE spam on the superstructure causing a battleship to sink, or everything moving insanely fast, or any of the other countless things that are immersion breaking. Yet you take issue with a pilot spotting a torpedo launch or wake? It's silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,435
[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
1 minute ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Beach is one thing, slamming into a rock outcropping at 20 knots is another. And let's not forget the ability of 1.5" of structural steel to deflect 16" shells like they're made of paper. Or the unlimited torpedoes, or instantaneous damage control, or HE spam on the superstructure causing a battleship to sink, or everything moving insanely fast, or any of the other countless things that are immersion breaking. Yet you take issue with a pilot spotting a torpedo launch or wake? It's silly.

As I said, I'm fine with ships taking damage when they ground.  Tanks in WOT blow up when they leap off cliffs.  But what really bugs me when I play a DD, is just how often a CV will just fly planes over my torps and reduce my dps to zero, completely by accident.  Spotting a torpedo launch is one thing, spotting torpedoes under the water that didn't even have a wake by a bomber that's being shot at while he's in a desperate attack run can ruin my game for up to 3 minutes given how long the torpedo reload is.  When making an attack run, bombers tend to make wide circles around their target which, you guessed it, tend to spot my torpedoes in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,391
[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
20 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Beach is one thing, slamming into a rock outcropping at 20 knots is another. And let's not forget the ability of 1.5" of structural steel to deflect 16" shells like they're made of paper. Or the unlimited torpedoes, or instantaneous damage control, or HE spam on the superstructure causing a battleship to sink, or everything moving insanely fast, or any of the other countless things that are immersion breaking. Yet you take issue with a pilot spotting a torpedo launch or wake? It's silly.

WoWS is not a simulator.  A full-realism simulation game would be extremely boring during 90% of game play.

Any realism that can make it into this game is welcome, but cramming a 12 vs 12 battle of naval ships into a 15 minute time frame requires certain aspects of realism to be stepped over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,435
[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
3 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

WoWS is not a simulator.  A full-realism simulation game would be extremely boring during 90% of game play.

Any realism that can make it into this game is welcome, but cramming a 12 vs 12 battle of naval ships into a 15 minute time frame requires certain aspects of realism to be stepped over.

And bombers accidentally spotting torpedoes cost the DD player 2-3 minutes of time given the long reloads.  This seems like a good change in my opinion, it will make the game more faster paced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
270
[DRG_N]
Members
407 posts
582 battles

So vigilance and the targeting module are now absolute requirements if anyone playing a BB doesn't want to get skillwalled with total impunity from a magically invisible ninja death boat.

Well done, Wargaming.  If you don't want people to play battleships anymore, how about you just say so?

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
184
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,449 battles
49 minutes ago, Highlord said:

So vigilance and the targeting module are now absolute requirements if anyone playing a BB doesn't want to get skillwalled with total impunity from a magically invisible ninja death boat.

Well done, Wargaming.  If you don't want people to play battleships anymore, how about you just say so?

i already use these on my high tiered BB's. I hardly use / need spotter plane. Usually have fighter, if I get the choice of plane. Not much of a nerf , really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[ICOP]
Members
780 posts
3,104 battles

The issue with aircraft spotting them was not the detectability range but the permanent spotting of them.  Halving the detectability range is a Band-Aid solution, they need to be treated as ships are for detectability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
47 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

The issue with aircraft spotting them was not the detectability range but the permanent spotting of them.  Halving the detectability range is a Band-Aid solution, they need to be treated as ships are for detectability.

Ummm, no.  Torpedoes in the water should be next to impossible to spot by aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
663
[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
1 hour ago, Highlord said:

So vigilance and the targeting module are now absolute requirements if anyone playing a BB doesn't want to get skillwalled with total impunity from a magically invisible ninja death boat.

Well done, Wargaming.  If you don't want people to play battleships anymore, how about you just say so?

Or the BB could stick with his DD/CA screen; CAs who will also have planes and the combination of both who may have Hydro and Radar. And then if spotted the torpedoes are spotted forever. And then if they hit they don't do full damage because of the torpedo armour belt.

 

Not really a game breaker - may just increase torpedo hits a little from the 6-10% average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
1 hour ago, Highlord said:

So vigilance and the targeting module are now absolute requirements if anyone playing a BB doesn't want to get skillwalled with total impunity from a magically invisible ninja death boat.

Well done, Wargaming.  If you don't want people to play battleships anymore, how about you just say so?

Try the standard WASD hax!  

 

2 hours ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Beach is one thing, slamming into a rock outcropping at 20 knots is another. And let's not forget the ability of 1.5" of structural steel to deflect 16" shells like they're made of paper. Or the unlimited torpedoes, or instantaneous damage control, or HE spam on the superstructure causing a battleship to sink, or everything moving insanely fast, or any of the other countless things that are immersion breaking. Yet you take issue with a pilot spotting a torpedo launch or wake? It's silly.

Naval battles don't occur in this close to land.  So running into islands in WoWS naval battles is grossly unrealistic on its face.

As for the overmatching mechanic, I agree.  I don't like it either.  I happen to think that ships should have to rely on the forward bulkhead armor of their citadel area for protection, not the tin foil on the bow.

As for things moving "insanely fast", it's necessary to fit a battle into a short time frame.  

As for planes spotting torps, I like this change, though IMO they should have just removed the spotting of torps by planes entirely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[ICOP]
Members
780 posts
3,104 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Ummm, no.  Torpedoes in the water should be next to impossible to spot by aircraft.

I am not disagreeing with you, however it does not address the core issue.  As of now, once a torpedo is detected it remains detected permanently regardless if anything is close enough to detect them.   Treating them as ships would negate this issue along with the proposed reduction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[ICOP]
Members
780 posts
3,104 battles
2 hours ago, Highlord said:

So vigilance and the targeting module are now absolute requirements if anyone playing a BB doesn't want to get skillwalled with total impunity from a magically invisible ninja death boat.

Well done, Wargaming.  If you don't want people to play battleships anymore, how about you just say so?

I'm terribly sorry my Mogami's Algerie Tirpitz torps ruined your sailing in a straight line enjoyment.

Edited by Junostorm
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×