You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bassmasta76

Goodbye, Clear Sky, goodbye

36 comments in this topic

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,099 battles

(If you are a Pink Floyd fan - sing the title in your head to "Goodbye Blue Sky")

So they are replacing Clear Sky, at least on the PT server for the 0.7.4 test.  It's about time... however if it goes live as it is, it will be nearly impossible to achieve for T6 and down.  Dual T5/T6 CV matches maybe, but not likely in single CV matches.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but if you can get one, you've darn well earned it.

Why not just a flat percentage of planes and not count those that "go down with the ship" in the case of catapult craft that are never launched?  

*shrug*

B

From the PT notes:

More good news for ace combat fans! Update 0.7.4 will bring in two new achievements—“King of the Air” and “AA Defense Expert”. The former is specifically designed for aircraft carriers while the latter is available for the other ship types. Both achievements are issued for knocking down a fixed number of aircraft in a single battle: 55 and 40, respectively. For excellent anti-aircraft defense against enemy air forces, players get 10x November Echo Setteseven signals. The “Clear Sky” achievement that was available previously will no longer be available for earning, and all references to it Campaigns will be substituted. But if you’ve already completed those tasks or have any task still in progress, you won’t have to complete it anew.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,380 battles

I'll frame the one Clear Skies I got in an AS Bogue in OBT.

Also, there's a couple missions in Honorable Service/Yamamoto that require getting Clear Skies... who wants to bet those are broken for at least a little bit after 7.4? :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by pikohan

Members
1,114 posts
3,141 battles

I have over 1500 battles and very good stats and it is the only achievement I have yet to earn. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,097 posts
8,738 battles

It is already nearly impossible to achieve for tier 6 and below already. However, it looks to be a lot easier above that point, not more 70 plus plane kills and still not get it because of all the float planes.

[RKLES]
Members
7,069 posts
8,720 battles

My poor Texas won’t be able to get “Clear Skies” Awards when this happens. That was one of the perks Texas had was getting those. :Smile_amazed:

[TBW]
Members
6,291 posts
11,844 battles

I don't think I have ever gotten one either.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,472 posts
4,053 battles

I've achieved 31 Clear Skies, but still hunting for my first Solo Warrior.

[TF16B]
Members
8,008 posts
16,964 battles

First Clear Sky; (received BEFORE the CS change more than a year ago...)

Made using a STRIKE Bogue... Thirty aircraft shot down using my Bogue's AA and tailgunners only.

Fourteen total Clear Skys.

Last with Langley; 02/23/2018

• Funny 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,768 posts
13,551 battles

I have only one Clear Sky medal and I achieved it with my Scharnhorst. I've got those screen shots framed and mounted for posterity.

:cap_cool:

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,099 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

It is already nearly impossible to achieve for tier 6 and below already. However, it looks to be a lot easier above that point, not more 70 plus plane kills and still not get it because of all the float planes.

Yeah... I don't CV much, but when I did (mostly pre USN CV nerf), I got them pretty regularly with my Bogue. 

I'm curious to what the CV main's out there think.  @cometguy?  Others?

B

Members
1,116 posts
6,669 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

they should have   just removed the planes from other ships from the total, and made it a % of the CV planes shot down.  would make the achievement doable at any tier, and depending on the %, less absurd to achieve.  

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I like the addition of a CV, and non-CV focused achievements.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
52 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

the whole main reason they changed it and then something else will have you banging your head on a wall, the clear sky achievement got changed because at tier 10 it was to hard to get it when playing hakuryu vs midway with its 136 hanger, so if you add midways hanger and say 10 spotter/fighter planes you needed at least 73 planes kills to get it so and it was to hard so they made two new achievements—“King of the Air” and “AA Defense Expert” and got rid off clear sky to make it easier for tier 10 CV.

now heres the best part off it and i hope your all sitting down not long after they made there mind to change clear sky and let everyone know about a week later they tell everyone there going to nerf the midway hanger to 96, meaning now you might have to put more work in to get king of the air then if they left clear sky. 

so not only did they screw the lower tier CV its pretty much going to be impossible to get 55 plane kills when the tier 8 hanger is only 72, you might have 20-25 planes you can afford to lose to ship AA before your screwed, with lex having one fighter yer i can see it getting 55 plane kills. they based the change on the midway 136 hanger just to nerf it a week later to 96, yep that makes a whole lot off sense WG they changed something that in the end didnt need to be changed and all its done is screwed everyone from tier 9 and lower from getting it.

this is why we have so much faith in WG

• Cool 1

Members
3,612 posts
13,377 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I don't think I have ever gotten one either.

I haven't. Though I came close with Alabama, 27 bugs zapped.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

below tier 6 only way to get clear sky is in a double CV match and then you have to be lucky you dont get good players, the only time you will need more then 70 would be when facing a midway all other cv dont have the hanger size to need that much tier 9 IJN CV has a  83 planes hanger so you might need 45-50 with spotters/fighters to get it

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,317 battles
5 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

I haven't. Though I came close with Alabama, 27 bugs zapped.

Being an RNG based achievement, in regards to how many planes, your AA does actually shoot down, i say meh. 

I played from CBT and have never gotten this achievement. The most planes that my ships have swatted out of 
the sky in a battle, is 51, with the North Carolina.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
7 hours ago, bassmasta76 said:

Yeah... I don't CV much, but when I did (mostly pre USN CV nerf), I got them pretty regularly with my Bogue. 

B

I'd be surprised to see anyone get AA defense expert. As for King of Air, I figure it will make the achievement slightly easier for tier 9 and 10, about a push for tier 8, take about 10 more planes for a t7 game, unless there are 4 CVs, tier 6 it would take a 4 CV game, and probably an AS Ryujo. Tier 4 and 5 it is essentially impossible to do.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,024 battles

How in the heck are people going to get AA related Achievements with 45 and 35 planes as requirements.

WG should LOWER the requirement to 20, so to encourage more people actually providing AA cover.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
2 hours ago, NeutralState said:

How in the heck are people going to get AA related Achievements with 45 and 35 planes as requirements.

WG should LOWER the requirement to 20, so to encourage more people actually providing AA cover.

if WG wanted to get CV to actually provide AA Cover all they would have to do is change it so the planes HP count as DMG it would even help to get more AA built ships out there and ones that do shot down a lot off planes, if your a AA built ship and shot down 25 planes at say 900 HP each while giving AA cover to teammates thats a extra 22,500 extra worth off dmg you have done.

dropping it to 20 all that will do is make CV players move to a lower tier to farm the achievements.

5 hours ago, cometguy said:

I'd be surprised to see anyone get AA defense expert. As for King of Air, I figure it will make the achievement slightly easier for tier 9 and 10, about a push for tier 8, take about 10 more planes for a t7 game, unless there are 4 CVs, tier 6 it would take a 4 CV game, and probably an AS Ryujo. Tier 4 and 5 it is essentially impossible to do.

with the midway hanger nerf coming it's going to be interesting to see if its made it any easier, with old hanger size 136 yes but with new one at 96 maybe not you need 48 out off the 96 planes and then any spotters/fighters half off that so you might only need 50-55 to get clear sky now with the midway hanger nerf. all it's done is stopping a lot off lower tiers from getting it like you said at tier 8 its going to be a push to get it with hanger sizes of only 72 planes.

[SYN]
Members
504 posts
5,888 battles

The only "Clear Sky" that I have was 39 planes in the Cleveland against two Tier 5 CV's. That is my PR for planes in the Cleveland. 

I did knock 60 planes down with the Des Moines against a Midway with no battle award. How many more planes could there have been? I know, spotter planes are part of the 50%, but it shows how hard it is to get that award with a surface ship. How many times will a Midway approach a Des Moines and lose a full attack squadron. 

To get any AA award in a surface ship requires a CV to be either impatient or target-blind. You don't get that in one attack. The Des Moines was three attacks from the same CV. The Cleveland was four attacks from the two CVs. Coordination of strikes only made better use of my DFAA. 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,024 battles
1 hour ago, ausanimal said:

if WG wanted to get CV to actually provide AA Cover all they would have to do is change it so the planes HP count as DMG it would even help to get more AA built ships out there and ones that do shot down a lot off planes, if your a AA built ship and shot down 25 planes at say 900 HP each while giving AA cover to teammates thats a extra 22,500 extra worth off dmg you have done.

dropping it to 20 all that will do is make CV players move to a lower tier to farm the achievements.

with the midway hanger nerf coming it's going to be interesting to see if its made it any easier, with old hanger size 136 yes but with new one at 96 maybe not you need 48 out off the 96 planes and then any spotters/fighters half off that so you might only need 50-55 to get clear sky now with the midway hanger nerf. all it's done is stopping a lot off lower tiers from getting it like you said at tier 8 its going to be a push to get it with hanger sizes of only 72 planes.

Game does not reward you by raw number of damage you've done. That's WoT. 

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

I have two...one in Zuiho and one in Missouri.

This is why I always got a chuckle out of Task 5, Stage 2 of the Honorable Service campaign...earn 3 Clear Sky achievements with T8+ ships.  I figured Honorable Service with Honors was, therefore, impossible for me.  Maybe now I'll have a chance?*

* Edit - ack, just remembered another task requires a T8+ CV. 

Edited by desmo_2

[SWOB]
Members
2,705 posts
15,503 battles

max planes shot down - 69, 60, 56, 55 in a Minotaur, DM, MO and Atlanta respectively...only getting Clear Skies in the MO game.

I welcome this change.