You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Crucis

PT 0.7.4 Notes thoughts

78 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles

The quotes are taken from gneisenau013's PT 0.7.4 thread...

Matchmaker

We continue our work on enhancing the way the matchmaker works in Random Battles. After Update 0.7.4 hits the servers, during the first three minutes when the first player in the queue is waiting to jump into battle, the matchmaker will strictly mirror teams by ship types and tiers. For example, your team will have the same number of destroyers and they will belong to the same tiers as the destroyers in the opposing team. This way the matchmaker will operate most efficiently during most of the day when a sufficient number of players are queued for battle. That is why we're sure the average time for assembling teams for a battle will not increase, and even if it does, the increase will be insignificant. If the matchmaker fails to assemble a battle during the three minutes that the first player in queue spends waiting to enter battle, it will revert to its previous, pre-Update 0.7.4 operation mode because at that moment it would be more important to send queued players into battle as soon as possible.

This is basically the first in a series of steps we're taking to enhance matchmaking in the game in 2018, and we'll continue our work in that direction. We're hopeful you'll enjoy other pleasant changes that we'll implement for you in the upcoming updates.

This is very interesting.  Hard to complain about this, though I worry that it might slow team building down a bit.  We'll see.  No one will be able to claim that the teams are unfairly balanced from a ship types and tiers perspective, that's for sure (well, unless they like unmirrored teams, I suppose).

I do wish that they'd do something about the numbers of ships at top, middle, and bottom tiers though so you don't end up being that lone bottom tier ship in a battle with 11 other top and middle tier ships.  But maybe that'll be one of the next steps they'll take to enhance MM.

the detectability range by air of torpedoes is reduced by half. This will let the "torpedo" destroyers to fulfill their roles more efficiently, especially in battles with aircraft carriers.

Very nice!!!

The 'Northern Lights' map is given back aurora borealis visualization effect.

Woo-Hoo!!!!  Finally!!!

Make Northern Lights great green again!!!

Members
1,246 posts
20,668 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Oh no!  That was so annoying.  It was like looking through beer googles at a naseous fluorescent street lamp as you're flopping around on your back on the pavement in the drizzle.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
18 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Oh no!  That was so annoying.  It was like looking through beer googles at a naseous fluorescent street lamp as you're flopping around on your back on the pavement in the drizzle.

Are you kidding?  I loved it!  I will say though that I wish that they'd have created a completely different map that they could have called "Northern Lights", rather than clone the North map while giving it a different sky box and a little bit of pixel snow.

Members
1,132 posts
3,141 battles
38 minutes ago, Crucis said:

So glad to see this. It used to be one of my favorite maps, it was just so different from all the others. Glad to see they're returning it to its former glory. 

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
39 minutes ago, Crucis said:

For example, your team will have the same number of destroyers and they will belong to the same tiers as the destroyers in the opposing team

I've been yelping about this for ages. Outstanding.

[LUCK]
Members
1,278 posts
19,102 battles
39 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The quotes are taken from gneisenau013's PT 0.7.4 thread...

Let's take a quick look at the main violations which can result in a warning or penalty followed by a change in the player's nickname color.

• Inactivity in battle
  • Damage to Allies/Team Kills
  • Fleeing the battlefield

Any idea what that means? Leaving the battle early? 

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
Just now, Wye_So_Serious said:

Let's take a quick look at the main violations which can result in a warning or penalty followed by a change in the player's nickname color.

• Inactivity in battle
  • Damage to Allies/Team Kills
  • Fleeing the battlefield

Any idea what that means? Leaving the battle early? 

From what I understand from following the Dev Blogs/Posts, "fleeing the battlefield" means a player who exits the match early before they are killed. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,360 battles

The MM changes are good news. This will mean better game balance for peak hours, which is what ppl have been asking for.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
40 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Not as good as the acid trip whilst on the König one afternoon, but I'll take it:

Spoiler

5acd70751d730_ASIG2.jpg.25995e6f9573975ed0a3c933dd47e24e.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,278 posts
19,102 battles
1 minute ago, daVinci761st said:

From what I understand from following the Dev Blogs/Posts, "fleeing the battlefield" means a player who exits the match early before they are killed. 

Thank you

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
15 minutes ago, Zionas said:

Will they fix MM for T5 and T6? 

The announcement did say that this was just the first MM fix.  There could be more.

Frankly, it's probably a good idea not to throw all of the potential MM tweaks in at the same time.  Better to go with one tweak at a time to make sure that it works as intended before trying out the next tweak, so that you don't have multiple tweaks and the potential of a problem that you're not sure whether it's caused by tweak A or tweak B.  

Besides, I'm not all that bent about the T5/T6 thing.  I personally see it as a lack of confidence by the complaining player in his abilities when bottom tier than any real problem with MM.  After all, if you can't handle being in a tier 5 in a tier 7 battle, how are you ever going to handle being in a tier 8 in a tier 10 battle?

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

Members
2,418 posts
5,424 battles

THATS a good direction WOW is going to to make MM battles more of a struggle than a slaughterfest...bravo for their efforts and as always......

i-knew-i-had-predicted.jpg

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

A very reasonable concession between loading times and more equal MM.

Congrats WG, you found a way to lift ny spirits after the 5 horrible games in the pensacola today, followed by the ranked announcement.

[TF57]
Members
1,251 posts
3,920 battles

I'm highly suspicious!

Mirror MM with destroyers

Punishing players for AFK, fleeing the battlefield...

Counters/ribbons to encourage people to spot/tank...

Active bots in the training room....

Orion nerfed, Prinz and Hipper buffed...

This is too reasonable!  It's the sort of things that the players want!

Is this actually by Wargaming? Or has someone hacked the admins account?

Please let this not be an April Fools....

• Funny 1

Supertester
2,589 posts
8,303 battles

Midway nerf is bad. The constant nerfs after the buff that finally made it relevant again would have been fine, had it been left alone. But now? Dumpy T9 fighters, garbage T8 TBs, and of course the only T10 planes this T10 CV has are now dive bombers. It's a slightly better Enterprise if (when) this goes through.

I would rather have 2/1/2 Midway back with T10 planes and the large hangar (You know, part of the USN national flavor for T9/10. That flavor that WG seems to not want to go near) and no AP bombs than this monstrosity they're foisting upon us. And I'm not even a CV main.

All WG is doing with this nerf is making Hak the dominant T10 CV by a wide margin.... again. This is probably one of the worst reasons I've seen for an adjustment since I began playing.

Edited by Show_Me_Your_Cits
  • Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles
1 hour ago, Zionas said:

Good to know they are trying to improve matchmaking. Now, what will they do about Tier 5 and Tier 6?

Continuous Sacrifices for the Tier IV Gods of Protection.

Because Imperator Nikolai I and Orion need MM Protection.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF1]
Members
1,986 posts

matchmaker will strictly mirror teams by ship types and tiers

what's the big deal about this, isn't that what current MM trying to do?

more important is match the total captain points and player experience so you don't get totally 1 sided games

• Bad 1

[MIA-A]
Members
1,982 posts
6,579 battles
3 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

matchmaker will strictly mirror teams by ship types and tiers

what's the big deal about this, isn't that what current MM trying to do?

more important is match the total captain points and player experience so you don't get totally 1 sided games

Master-Yoda-Try-Not-MotleyHealth-e140300

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
45 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Orange is the new black...:Smile_teethhappy:

Lavender is the new heliotrope ... :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF5]
Members
608 posts
12,012 battles

MM changes sound down right amazing.

Also a reminder, most of us have said 'we would gladly wait longer in queue' for better MM. So buckle up :)

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
2 hours ago, daVinci761st said:

i.e. the people who on a regular basis, look at the battle for 30 seconds, turn up their noses and leave the game, because they're worried about their precious stats..  I bet it won't penalize for it once in a while, but if you do this 3 times a day as a regular pattern, you'll get flagged, for example.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Frankly, it's probably a good idea not to throw all of the potential MM tweaks in at the same time.  Better to go with one tweak at a time to make sure that it works as intended before trying out the next tweak, so that you don't have multiple tweaks and the potential of a problem that you're not sure whether it's caused by tweak A or tweak B.  

Yes, when tweaking complex systems, make one change at a time, not the whole kitchen sink...