You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Uber_Ghost

New Ranked is split T8/T10

39 comments in this topic

Members
510 posts
3,490 battles

New Season of Ranked Battles

Commanders! Ranked battles are on the horizon, and the new season will bring in something genuinely new! You’ll need Tier VIII ships for lower ranks—and your favorite “tier tens” for ranks ranging from 10 and above. If you're valiant enough to reach Rank 1, you will be able to make it to the League of Sea Wolves where battles will unfold between ships of Tier VII.

Practically the same standard season rules will apply. There is a total of 23 ranks and your achievements for the preceding season will be taken into account. Battles will take place in the 7v7 format. Team lineups are mirrored in terms of ship types and tiers. If you lose a battle, you won't lose a Star if you're the top XP earner on the team. Irrevocable ranks remain nearly the same: 23rd to 17th; 15th; 1st and 10th instead of 12th. This will let players stay in the First League without frustrating drops to the league below in case of a loss.

( Gneisenau013)

So there it is.  A T10 ranked is upon us. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles

I am planning on going to Rank 10 so I can get the Signal Flags and the various rewards, but then I am likely going to stop since unless they seriously increased credit earnings in Ranked there is no war I am bankrupting myself with an X grind, my credit reserves can’t handle that much X ship play since I don’t have premium time.

I imagine the Ranked playerbase will be a lot smaller this season because of the upper ranks requiring tier X to play. I can’t possibly be the only one unable to do a Ranked Tier X for one reason or another.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,746 posts
11,361 battles

I like the t8/10 split, but without some more fundamental changes to ranked... probably not gonna do much past rank 12 or so.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,745 posts
7,373 battles

Most don't go past 10 anymore, simply because the rewards aren't worth it, and haven't been for at least 3 seasons. Add in the sheer frustration, and just, no. Besides, it's nothing but an ego thing, really, and my own ego is doing just fine, these days.

Members
1,133 posts
3,141 battles

Gives me even more reason to grind the Gearing (only 150k left there) and Yamato (going to skip a lot of the izumo grind when the free xp conversion sale comes out). 

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

Hm. I don't have a tier 10. At least my Amagi's secondaries will see use again.

Members
510 posts
3,490 battles

With the lack of voice comms, I suspect the meta will play out a bit differently in ranked.  Less coordination...more emphasis on individual play...unless you get lucky and get a team that understands all roles.  Mistakes will be brutalized.  I'll start with the Z-52 and maybe move to a radar Yue Yang if I get the feeling that other DD's know how to work with me.

You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be in a Lo Yang for the short sprint to 10.

I do wonder if anyone will be brave/dumb enough to bring an Asashio?

Edited by Uber_Ghost

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
16 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

Anyone who bought it and thinks it’s OP and thinks competitive matches are influenced by farming damage off the big dudes, and forget about the team playing ships in front of them. 

Edited by GabeTheDespot

Members
510 posts
3,490 battles
Just now, GabeTheDespot said:

Anyone who bought it and thinks it’s OP and thinks competitive matches are influenced by farming damage.

It will be fun hunting them to extinction.  It's mortal enemy, the Lo Yang, will see to that.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
2 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

It will be fun hunting them to extinction.  It's mortal enemy, the Lo Yang, will see to that.

Prepare to see the Bismarck spam, because constant chain hydro. Good luck Lo Yanging the snot out of anybody brain dead enough to think it’s good for competitive ship!

Edited by GabeTheDespot

[WOLF2]
Members
49 posts
3,561 battles

I sure hope they bring better rewards. Couldn't bring myself to grind past rank 5 last season. They should put special camo or at least something original and fun as reward.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
10 minutes ago, Elidan123 said:

I sure hope they bring better rewards. Couldn't bring myself to grind past rank 5 last season. They should put special camo or at least something original and fun as reward.

DOUBLOONS!!!!!!!!!!

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
33 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

With the lack of voice comms, I suspect the meta will play out a bit differently in ranked.  Less coordination...more emphasis on individual play...unless you get lucky and get a team that understands all roles.  Mistakes will be brutalized.  I'll start with the Z-52 and maybe move to a radar Yue Yang if I get the feeling that other DD's know how to work with me.

You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be in a Lo Yang for the short sprint to 10.

Uber_Ghost, voice comms to me seem like a disaster in waiting.  Unlike clans where people have to be nice to e ach other or get booted from the clan, players on a ranked team are only there for a single battle, and I foresee people who might just spam music or constantly swear at team mates, or chat about totally unrelated crap, or just not be able to shut up during the battle (i.e. the kind of player who might yell at the screen whenever he misses a shot, etc., and annoying everyone else and making voice chat effectively useless).

Honestly, I have no desire to see voice comms in Ranked.

[WOLF2]
Members
49 posts
3,561 battles
3 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

DOUBLOONS!!!!!!!!!!

I remember the first few seasons where we were blessed with hundreds of flags, credit and doublons... They don't even give half of the rewards we had then.

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
45 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Most don't go past 10 anymore, simply because the rewards aren't worth it, and haven't been for at least 3 seasons. Add in the sheer frustration, and just, no. Besides, it's nothing but an ego thing, really, and my own ego is doing just fine, these days.

I've gone as low as rank 9, but slipped to 10 before calling it a season.  Rank 10 is about the limit of my patience with Ranked because at that point, the rewards don't seem worth the tedium of the grind.  IMO, they really need to do something about Ranked to make it more enjoyable to play if they want to see more players willing to try to achieve Rank 1.  And playing with ship tiers doesn't cut it.  I have premium and can afford to play my tier 10's at the higher ranks, if I wanted to do so.  But so long as the tedium is so damned boring, the rewards are unlikely to entice me into pushing ahead. 

They need to reduce the tedium of Ranked more than anything.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I doubt that if they doubled or tripled the rewards that that would be enough to get me to seriously push for Rank 1.  I really think that Ranked needs a major overhaul to make things more fun and less grindy/tedious.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

Now the only motivation is the chance to get OP ships like Flint and Black, both far out of reach of most players.

[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,137 battles
11 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Now the only motivation is the chance to get OP ships like Flint and Black, both far out of reach of most players.

Flint/black its not "op" ships, its ships with good players (and some try-hard).

[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,137 battles

Nice see a next ranked a TX ranked, finnaly the TX deserve a bit love.

Members
510 posts
3,490 battles
53 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Uber_Ghost, voice comms to me seem like a disaster in waiting.  Unlike clans where people have to be nice to e ach other or get booted from the clan, players on a ranked team are only there for a single battle, and I foresee people who might just spam music or constantly swear at team mates, or chat about totally unrelated crap, or just not be able to shut up during the battle (i.e. the kind of player who might yell at the screen whenever he misses a shot, etc., and annoying everyone else and making voice chat effectively useless).

Honestly, I have no desire to see voice comms in Ranked.

I agree.  I was just pointing out the general difference between ranked and CW's.  And yes...it would be ridiculously abused. 

[AR]
[AR]
Members
313 posts
11,657 battles

So does this mean that CVs will only be allowed in Ranks 23-11 and restricted from Ranks 10-2? I would like to use My Shokaku....

Members
510 posts
3,490 battles
1 hour ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Prepare to see the Bismarck spam, because constant chain hydro. Good luck Lo Yanging the snot out of anybody brain dead enough to think it’s good for competitive ship!

I'm not sure what to make of this observation.  Last season was full of Lo Yang's.  It was the meta.  And, pairing one with an Aki was scary as hell.

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
1 hour ago, Uber_Ghost said:

New Season of Ranked Battles

Commanders! Ranked battles are on the horizon, and the new season will bring in something genuinely new! You’ll need Tier VIII ships for lower ranks—and your favorite “tier tens” for ranks ranging from 10 and above. If you're valiant enough to reach Rank 1, you will be able to make it to the League of Sea Wolves where battles will unfold between ships of Tier VII.

Practically the same standard season rules will apply. There is a total of 23 ranks and your achievements for the preceding season will be taken into account. Battles will take place in the 7v7 format. Team lineups are mirrored in terms of ship types and tiers. If you lose a battle, you won't lose a Star if you're the top XP earner on the team. Irrevocable ranks remain nearly the same: 23rd to 17th; 15th; 1st and 10th instead of 12th. This will let players stay in the First League without frustrating drops to the league below in case of a loss.

( Gneisenau013)

So there it is.  A T10 ranked is upon us. 

proble just play tirpiz or enterpise or hsf

[BBC]
Members
908 posts
12,243 battles

must get alternate camo for flint and black......   not sure why  !

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
9 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

Flint/black its not "op" ships, its ships with good players (and some try-hard).

Flint is Atlanta with smoke over radar, this is like Radar Minotaur (I know it isn’t the good Minotaur and isn’t much good) being good then giving it smoke over radar. The Flint is only marginally weaker than Belfast, a stupidly OP ship (misses Radar but gets higher potential DPM). Black is a T9 DD version of the Belfast, with smoke and radar, on top of being a great DD (Fletcher) in the first place. The players only amplifies the strengths of the ships.

Although Salem is special, it isn’t OP, as it is DM with better heal, and not much else. The Stalingrad, though not for ranked, would be a balanced BB places in CA MM, and therefore not balanced.