You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Is plane kills that important of a statistic these days?

15 comments in this topic

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

I mean, you encounter a CV on average in one out of every 5 or 6 battles, and the CV player may or may not view you as a priority target. I think in the current game plane kills as a statistic hardly matters. Any other opinions?

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,918 battles

No. 

I would say that answer applies both to your thread title, and the question you end your post with, but undoubtedly someone will argue the opposite.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
27 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I mean, you encounter a CV on average in one out of every 5 or 6 battles, and the CV player may or may not view you as a priority target. I think in the current game plane kills as a statistic hardly matters. Any other opinions?

Depends on your class, AA capability, and the game. 1 good AA ship with a bad red CV can cripple the enemy team ...

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles

I imagine it matters immensely to the CV driver who owns the planes.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Average plane kills isn't something I value highly in a non-cv. However, killing planes is always a priority when they're there. For the most part, all you have to do extra is select a squadron, to get the boost.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 hour ago, Zionas said:

when I get 40+ kills from triple-A -- oh yeah it matters.  I basically broke the back of multiple strike packages.  I can just visual the chat on the red end..."hey CV -- you wanna help" -- followed by "I don't have any more planes"

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,051 battles

Since when was plane kill ever a statistic worthy of mentioning? It was only mentioned in the context of "omg not enough AA rewards".

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,778 posts
12,906 battles
18 hours ago, Zionas said:

As a number, no...it does not matter one iota.

This is the problem with statistics divorced from context.  A CV player that can maintain his/her squadrons for the entire game and can create havoc time and time again....those planes are priceless.  And that CV will go a long way to securing a win for the team.  If the ships or tactics in play eliminate those planes, or prevent them from creating havoc, then the CV is largely neutralized for that game. 

One must have the ability to kill planes and the necessary tactics to either kill them or run them off.

Hence, on the one hand, a ship with uber AA is avoided...might not kill any planes....but may have a significant impact on preventing the CV player from obtaining success.  ZERO plane kills.  Not a very good stat, is it?

On the other hand, an uber AA ship has to be capable of performing and there will be times when the CV pushes that capability.  In this instance, the uber ship comes away with lots of plane kills.  That's a stat worth noting!

Personally, I have two uber AA BB trolls.  The QE and the Lyon.  I personally believe the AA stats on these ships is important because part of my ability to kill so many planes is many CV players don't recognize how effective these two ships are in full AA mode.  I intentionally troll CV players with these BBs.  That is, I intentionally position myself to look like a juicy BB target...I literally bait an attack.  At other times, I position myself to put my AA bubble over other ships.  I  have a very high plane kill rate on my QE.  It ain't by accident.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[DRG_N]
Members
411 posts
582 battles

Important? Not really.  Amusing? Oh hell yes.

I love seeing the CV's rage when they try to get strikes through on my AA-specced North Carolina. Even better when there's a few of us.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Personally, I have two uber AA BB trolls.  The QE and the Lyon.  I personally believe the AA stats on these ships is important because part of my ability to kill so many planes is many CV players don't recognize how effective these two ships are in full AA mode.  I intentionally troll CV players with these BBs.  That is, I intentionally position myself to look like a juicy BB target...I literally bait an attack.  At other times, I position myself to put my AA bubble over other ships.  I  have a very high plane kill rate on my QE.  It ain't by accident.

How have you set up the Lyon then--BFT & AFT, and perhaps AA Mod 2 as well? not sure if it's worth it with so many no-CV battles... or is it?

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,778 posts
12,906 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

How have you set up the Lyon then--BFT & AFT, and perhaps AA Mod 2 as well? not sure if it's worth it with so many no-CV battles... or is it?

Every mod that bumps AA, along with captain skills.  That's what I mean by 100%...everything that's possible.  Well, I don't always run a flag on Lyon...but I do always run one with QE.  

I think the purest will say it's not worth it because there are so many no-CV battles and those points can be used more effectively elsewhere.  But I love it because I go into battle with these ships hoping for a CV to play with.  I see so many "woe is me" BB players upset over CVs.  It's refreshing to be in the  mindset of "bring 'em on".  

I'm actually disappointed when a CV is present and doesn't come for me...or avoids me altogether.  The cool part is figuring out how to bait them.  And there is some tactical aspect to maneuvering that is not always obvious.  For example, the [edited]-end trail fight is the best.  The QE and Lyon kill zone is so big, the planes can't get out of the zone as they try to establish a forward run position.  They drop like flies.  But you don't have to force it.  They are effective on the frontal fight...you just gotta realize you lose precious kill time.  Lastly, if two CVs are in play and they BOTH go for you at the same time...well...that's bad for you no matter what you can spit out.

If you feel naked against CVs in T6 of T7 BBs...the AA build is the way to go.  But I realize it's not for everyone...nor is it probably the most efficient overall build...considering the lack of CVs.  But I enjoy it.     

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,979 posts
2,203 battles

Ship plane kills don't seem to be reflected (much) in base XP.  Anyone have a good guess as to the details?

• Cool 1

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
28 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

If you feel naked against CVs in T6 of T7 BBs...the AA build is the way to go.  But I realize it's not for everyone...nor is it probably the most efficient overall build...considering the lack of CVs.  But I enjoy it.     

Thanks for that, I am tempted. Enjoyment is the thing.

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
21 hours ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Planes matter. Ask any BB player.

Or a DD player with a semi-competent CA/CL player with good AA. Just ask the Shimi I saved today in my newly acquired  Des Moines when I popped Defensive AA with a 100 rating and a 7.2km range when he had 2 Dive Bombers and a Torp Squad after him with no smoke available. Needless to say, he wasn't hit. lol