You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

So about the Announcement for Ranked...

107 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles

Wondering what possessed Wargaming to do yet another Tier VIII Ranked Season after so many complaints I read about Radar, how MM was not balanced to consider who had Radar and who did not did not last Ranked Season.  And then part way through it goes to tier X!?!?!?! That is going to be extremely expensive if the grind to Rank 1 drags out. And then tier VII for the Rank 1 Battles.

Lower Ranks being Tier VIII might be ok since the value of Radar does not become as pronounced until higher up and then it becomes very unbalanced, but tier X for the upper ones? Why not tier VII or tier VI? The tier VI Ranked Season was one of the most liked Ranked seasons Wargaming has done from what I have heard.

Here is the Announcement from the Update Notes:

New Season of Ranked Battles

Commanders! Ranked battles are on the horizon, and the new season will bring in something genuinely new! You’ll need Tier VIII ships for lower ranks—and your favorite “tier tens” for ranks ranging from 10 and above. If you're valiant enough to reach Rank 1, you will be able to make it to the League of Sea Wolves where battles will unfold between ships of Tier VII.

Practically the same standard season rules will apply. There is a total of 23 ranks and your achievements for the preceding season will be taken into account. Battles will take place in the 7v7 format. Team lineups are mirrored in terms of ship types and tiers. If you lose a battle, you won't lose a Star if you're the top XP earner on the team. Irrevocable ranks remain nearly the same: 23rd to 17th; 15th; 1st and 10th instead of 12th. This will let players stay in the First League without frustrating drops to the league below in case of a loss.

• Bad 2

Members
80 posts
4,694 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

New Season of Ranked Battles

Commanders! Ranked battles are on the horizon, and the new season will bring in something genuinely new! You’ll need Tier VIII ships for lower ranks—and your favorite “tier tens” for ranks ranging from 10 and above. If you're valiant enough to reach Rank 1, you will be able to make it to the League of Sea Wolves where battles will unfold between ships of Tier VII.

Practically the same standard season rules will apply. There is a total of 23 ranks and your achievements for the preceding season will be taken into account. Battles will take place in the 7v7 format. Team lineups are mirrored in terms of ship types and tiers. If you lose a battle, you won't lose a Star if you're the top XP earner on the team. Irrevocable ranks remain nearly the same: 23rd to 17th; 15th; 1st and 10th instead of 12th. This will let players stay in the First League without frustrating drops to the league below in case of a loss.

Where was that announcement?  How'd I miss that?

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles
1 minute ago, Unholy_Stench said:

Where was that announcement?  How'd I miss that?

In the Test Sever page that Gneisenau just posted, if those Ranked notes are in that you can bet that is what they are using next Ranked Season And could easily cause me to play until maybe Rank 10 and then stop until next Ranked Season because no way my credit sullies will hold up to a Ranked X grind to Rank 1...

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

T6 has decent ship variety, but the bar for entry is too low.

T7 is a no-go due to premium radar, especially the Belfast.

T8 again has decent variety. 

T9 is just weird and not exactly a favorite place for many.

T10 is being forced at this point, I expect it to be like CW but with less coordination.

• Cool 3

[VIP-2]
Members
803 posts
2,827 battles

Ugh, didnt want 8....

Well guess thats another ranked im gonna miss.

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles
6 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

T7 is a no-go due to premium radar, especially the Belfast.

T8 again has decent variety. 

T10 is being forced at this point, I expect it to be like CW but with less coordination.

The smoke nerfs should hurt Belfast enough to prevent the fiasco last T7 Ranked Season. And the Flints and Atlanta are so easy to kill that doubt anyone would use those that heavily since why use a ship that the moment you are spotted can get triple citadeled? Lol

Beta Testers
1,568 posts
3,893 battles
11 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

So a player who may be a natural at the game but too new to have advanced to T7 yet should be kept out?

Anyone should be kept out?  I don't see why.  Ranked is a grind, not a competition.

[KRAK]
Members
913 posts
12,882 battles

Wow yet another whine about radar thread. When does it ever stop? I am sorry that things can kill you but that is the whole point of the game. I play  DD's at T10 almost exclusively, very rarely do I play a lower tier and radar is never that big an issue. I die to it sometimes naturally but most times it is merely a speed bump in my game. Slows you down from doing damage for a minute but that is about it. Learn how to work around radar it is really very simple.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,274 posts
18,965 battles
13 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

A mass of Fletchers, Z46s, a flock of Missouris and Musashis , now Alsace with a few St Louis and Donskois. Suppose Roon would do well too.

Yeah, kind of weird.

• Cool 1

[-DOG-]
Members
182 posts
3,041 battles
2 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

So a player who may be a natural at the game but too new to have advanced to T7 yet should be kept out?

Anyone should be kept out?  I don't see why.  Ranked is a grind, not a competition.

Maybe its a feeling of mercy.  A person with their first T6 boat jumping into ranked battles.  They are going to have a bad day....well, a bad minute or two.

Members
3,625 posts
13,419 battles

I recall that last last Ranked season was Tier 8. So why is WeeGee doing 2 seasons of the same tier in a row?

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles
Just now, Vaffu said:

Wow yet another whine about radar thread. When does it ever stop? I am sorry that things can kill you but that is the whole point of the game. I play  DD's at T10 almost exclusively, very rarely do I play a lower tier and radar is never that big an issue. I die to it sometimes naturally but most times it is merely a speed bump in my game. Slows you down from doing damage for a minute but that is about it. Learn how to work around radar it is really very simple.

Lol I play BBs for Ranked usually so Radar is not a problem, but I get sick and tired about the whining that Radar causes in some battles which is why I am questioning Wargaming’s sanity at the moment. Wargaming can’t possibly have been oblivious to all the Radar whine threads after the last season of Tier 8 Ranked.

[KRAK]
Members
913 posts
12,882 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol I play BBs for Ranked usually so Radar is not a problem, but I get sick and tired about the whining that Radar causes in some battles which is why I am questioning Wargaming’s sanity at the moment. Wargaming can’t possibly have been oblivious to all the Radar whine threads after the last season of Tier 8 Ranked.

Someone is always whining about something. Torpedoes, smoke, too many BB or too little of them in a match, too many DD in  match, CV's, the list goes on and on.

The funniest thing is that none of these things are really an issue at all if you play smart, those that complain just do not know how to adapt and will complain about something else if not radar. The game is fine as it stands in my opinion except for one thing. I would make radar a bit shorter duration at high tiers, it is a tad OP at it's current length.

• Cool 2

[LUCK]
Members
1,274 posts
18,965 battles

Eugen with a heal and Hipper buffs will be interesting, hopefully helpful.

Richelieu and Gascogne were not around for the last go around, Richelieu will be better of the two but how will it do in ranked? It has all the tools.

T8 is pretty stable and hasn't been flooded with premiums.

Members
503 posts
3,459 battles

Many will only briefly see T8 and then move into T10.  Lo Yang it to 10 and then Z-52/Yue Yang it home.

7 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I recall that last last Ranked season was Tier 8. So why is WeeGee doing 2 seasons of the same tier in a row?

T8 will be a blur...the grind is at T10.   

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles
1 minute ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Eugen with a heal and Hipper buffs will be interesting, hopefully helpful.

Richelieu and Gascogne were not around for the last go around, Richelieu will be better of the two but how will it do in ranked? It has all the tools.

T8 is pretty stable and hasn't been flooded with premiums.

Tirpitz, Gascogne, Kidd, Alabama, LoYang, Kii, Enterprise, Graf Zepplin, Atago, Harekaze, Roma, Prinz Eugen, ARP Takao, Mikhail Kutuzov, and likely 1 more premium added mid season since that is what Wargaming has done each Ranked Season I have played at least. So lol there are a few premiums, not saying that is bad or anything, but they are there.

I imagine Asashio might make quite the splash should Wargaming decide that is the premium ship they add this coming Ranked Season lol.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,257 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I imagine Asashio might make quite the splash should Wargaming decide that is the premium ship they add this coming Ranked Season lol.

Asashio would make me think twice before playing a BB in ranked, could be very ugly!

Members
503 posts
3,459 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Tirpitz, Gascogne, Kidd, Alabama, LoYang, Kii, Enterprise, Graf Zepplin, Atago, Harekaze, Roma, Prinz Eugen, ARP Takao, Mikhail Kutuzov, and likely 1 more premium added mid season since that is what Wargaming has done each Ranked Season I have played at least. So lol there are a few premiums, not saying that is bad or anything, but they are there.

I think you would have to be a glutton for punishment to bring an Asashio.  Folks are going to hate you.  If it plays out like last season with barely any CV's, then you can only hit a few BB's each match?  And, since there will be Lo Yang's running RPF everywhere...the chances you actually make it to the BB's is fairly slim.  I'd love to see a bunch of Asashio's on every red team.  The Asashio needs a target rich environment, a skilled captain, and luck to make an impact.  Granted, the impact it makes will be significant.  But, I strongly suspect the overwhelming majority of it's presence will be strongly negative.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,713 posts
3,894 battles

Tier 8 to christen the new Cleveland.

Locking Tier 8 players out once they get to Rank 10 is a sucky move, though. They are going to feel wrath for that.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,197 posts
7,141 battles
5 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

I think you would have to be a glutton for punishment to bring an Asashio.  Folks are going to hate you.  If it plays out like last season with barely any CV's, then you can only hit a few BB's each match?  And, since there will be Lo Yang's running RPF everywhere...the chances you actually make it to the BB's is fairly slim.  I'd love to see a bunch of Asashio's on every red team.  The Asashio needs a target rich environment, a skilled captain, and luck to make an impact.  Granted, the impact it makes will be significant.  But, I strongly suspect the overwhelming majority of it's presence will be strongly negative.

Oh, I don't know. Last season I was routinely seeing games with 6x Tirpitz and 1x Kagero on each side. I'd love to face a team of 6 BB's if I had Asashio.

4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Tier 8 to christen the new Cleveland.

Locking Tier 8 players out once they get to Rank 10 is a sucky move, though. They are going to feel wrath for that.

But think about it this way: they'll advance to the first league, and never be able to fall out of it.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

lol, that's by design, WG wants to force more to play t10, so they can make money, lol

[ARGSY]
Members
5,713 posts
3,894 battles
2 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Oh, I don't know. Last season I was routinely seeing games with 6x Tirpitz and 1x Kagero on each side. I'd love to face a team of 6 BB's if I had Asashio.

But think about it this way: they'll advance to the first league, and never be able to fall out of it.

And this benefits them how? Like Moses, they get to see the Promised Land but never truly enter it?

I will be giving it a shot because I am nowhere near good enough to even get that high and it probably won't affect me, but the nerve of them to assume that everyone who wants to do ranked has a Tier X ship to play with.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
12 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

I don't know.  Lo Yangs can have RL skill all they want, but when Asashios have 20 km torps (perhaps reduced to 16 km with TAE) they can be engaging enemy BBs from well outside the normal range a DD would try to screen his DDs at.  That said, an Asashio doing that would also not be much of a team player since he'd probably be shying away from caps, because his torps would be useless against DDs and he'd only have IJN guns, which would probably be no match for USN guns (whether on a USN or PA DD).

I tend to think that you'll see Lo Yangs, Bensons, and Kidds dominate T8 DD play, though perhaps we might see more Hsienyangs this time around.  Not so much because of DWTs as much as because there might be more players comfortable with them.