Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

Definitely liking the Gadjah Mada so far

7 comments in this topic

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

She's a well-rounded blend. 

6.1km stealth at Tier VII is great considering many dangerous DDs at VII are 6.8km.  Blyskawica is one, and the .7km advantage helps in buying me time to make a better decision.  6.1km is still bad compared to the Tier VIII DDs with 5.8km or even less stealth, but it's not as bad as her peers with 6.8km stealth dealing with VIII-IX DDs.  Because of this, I feel she scales a bit better against VIII-IX DDs than say, Blyskawica, Mahan, Sims.

Nice, forward, aggressive gun angling for max firepower while still showing a narrow profile.  Decent turret traverse compared to Fushun at Tier VI.  Could be better, but then we're talking USN DD Lightning Turrets.

8km torps is still a useful range.  Typical Pro's and Con's of DWTs.  There are times when I'm dealing with another DD that regular torps really would be useful, especially smoke camping ones.  However, when dealing with Cruisers and Destroyers, it's always awesome seeing the short reaction in the target before they get hit.  However, I do miss the quicker reload of Fushun's torps compared to Gadjah Mada's.

Garbage AA though.

Good DD so far, I feel like she has answers for a variety of threats.  She can gunplay when appropriate, be it against DD or Non-DD threats.  The smoke helps especially against Non-DD threats.  She's stealthy enough to play the cap game better than her Non-IJN DD peers.  She has torps to deal with larger threats when the time comes.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[HYDRO]
Members
1,286 posts
3,653 battles

Imo at the moment shes easily the best T7 DD; she can do practically everything except be a long range gunboat.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,815 posts
10,701 battles

GM is a nice boat. Just remember the det flag since she's like a magazine wrapped in a ship shape box.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

She's a well-rounded blend. 

6.1km stealth at Tier VII is great considering many dangerous DDs at VII are 6.8km.  Blyskawica is one, and the .7km advantage helps in buying me time to make a better decision.  6.1km is still bad compared to the Tier VIII DDs with 5.8km or even less stealth, but it's not as bad as her peers with 6.8km stealth dealing with VIII-IX DDs.  Because of this, I feel she scales a bit better against VIII-IX DDs than say, Blyskawica, Mahan, Sims.

Nice, forward, aggressive gun angling for max firepower while still showing a narrow profile.  Decent turret traverse compared to Fushun at Tier VI.  Could be better, but then we're talking USN DD Lightning Turrets.

8km torps is still a useful range.  Typical Pro's and Con's of DWTs.  There are times when I'm dealing with another DD that regular torps really would be useful, especially smoke camping ones.  However, when dealing with Cruisers and Destroyers, it's always awesome seeing the short reaction in the target before they get hit.  However, I do miss the quicker reload of Fushun's torps compared to Gadjah Mada's.

Good DD so far, I feel like she has answers for a variety of threats.  She can gunplay when appropriate, be it against DD or Non-DD threats.  The smoke helps especially against Non-DD threats.  She's stealthy enough to play the cap game better than her Non-IJN DD peers.  She has torps to deal with larger threats when the time comes.

I'm not sure that I'd call 6.1km concealment "bad".  Sure, it's not as good as most tier 8 DDs, but it still seems very nice to me considering that you don't get the option of mounting the Concealment Upgrade module.

And the torps are definitely useful, though with their long reload time, they ended up feeling like secondary weapons compared to her guns.  I found the GM's guns to be useful far more constantly than her torps, when you add in the nice PA smoke, plus you're at a tier where, if top tier, radar won't be all that common.

Honestly, I tended to play the Fushun as more of a torp boat, while I played the GM as more of a gunboat.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,321 battles

Shes a fun little DD.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles

After having played her I totally understand why people were so upset about how the Cossack turned out.  She's the perfect mix of everything that makes a good destroyer, and one of the few ships that not only didn't feel like a grind but was actually genuinely enjoyable start to finish.  The idea of having one you can drop a high skill captain in and tool around with sounds great, but sadly it was not meant to be be...

• Cool 2

[IBAD]
[IBAD]
Beta Testers
119 posts
3,252 battles

I loved GM and it definitely did not feel like a grind. She is still in port after my Hsienyang purchase for the kicks she brings. I did transfer my captain, so I need to grind up another one for permanence on the GM. It's low priority but will be worth it.

Sign in to follow this