Sign in to follow this  
iDuckman

Protected MM for newbs?

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
5,958 posts
2,203 battles

It is my understand that new players are protected from low-tier seal clubbers through the MatchMaker.  Possible through 100 games or some account level.  (This is distinct from the ship tier MM protection.)

Is this true?  If so, what is the mechanism?  I can find no documentation on it.

Members
4,448 posts
6,150 battles

I dunno.  I will say this. When I got Bogatyr back some time ago for the first 50 matches or so I could hardly lose.I had a crazy win rate of like 70% then win rate began to drop.  I am NOT that good. That's my input...for what it is worth.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I'm having trouble finding anything official on it, but I do know it's a thing.  I was under the impression you only played against bots for the first 100 games, but the EU forum has a thread where multiple people says it's up to account level 11.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,065 posts
12,593 battles

I recall the MM is filter with experienced WoWS players for tiers <5. Steam users do not see the rest of the WoWS players until they get to tier 5. For example, if you play a tier 2 Umikaze DD as an experienced WoWS player, the queue wait time is increased for you in trying to find the similar experienced battle WoWS players. If no such players are available, then the MM happens with the new players.  I read this is suppose to filter most of the seal clubbing out of WoWS.

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
47 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

It is my understand that new players are protected from low-tier seal clubbers through the MatchMaker.  Possible through 100 games or some account level.  (This is distinct from the ship tier MM protection.)

Is this true?  If so, what is the mechanism?  I can find no documentation on it.

I don't know if new players are protected at low-tier from "seal clubbers" in MM in randoms, but they are restricted to co-op play until they reach account level 3. That only takes 3,000 XP, though. Right now, to my knowledge, there is nothing keeping a player with 5,000 + battles from readying up his fully upgraded low tier ships with 15+ point captains and jumping into a random battle with players who have less than 100 battles.

6 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

I'm having trouble finding anything official on it, but I do know it's a thing.  I was under the impression you only played against bots for the first 100 games, but the EU forum has a thread where multiple people says it's up to account level 11.

New players are restricted to bots by "x" number of battles but via their account level. A player cannot participate in random battles till they reach account level 3.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Account_Level

Edited by daVinci761st

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
1 minute ago, daVinci761st said:

New players are restricted to bots by "x" number of battles but via their account level. A player cannot participate in random battles till they reach account level 3.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Account_Level

Ah.  So maybe it's bots until level three and then only players under account level 11 until you reach it yourself?

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
Just now, AspiringCodger said:

Ah.  So maybe it's bots until level three and then only players under account level 11 until you reach it yourself?

49 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

OK. I was wrong. New players do receive some protection @iDuckman & @AspiringCodger . I finally found some documentation in the changelogs. It is still tied to account level and not the number of battles.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Update_0.6.13.1

In update 06.13.1, new players up through account level 11 receive some protection by favorable MM in tiers 1-4. That was expanded on what it was previously, which was favorable MM up to account level 8 and tiers 1-3.

But I think new players can still end up in tier 1-4 random matches with more experienced players if MM is having trouble filling teams. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
2 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

But I think new players can still end up in tier 1-4 random matches with more experienced players if MM is having trouble filling teams. 

One thing that kept popping up on the EU and Steam forums was people talking about teams with more bots than players on both sides, so I'm thinking not.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,958 posts
2,203 battles
3 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

I finally found some documentation in the changelogs

Good find!  Now I gotta cogitate on how to integrate this into the wiki...

BTW, I can find no documentation about CLANS in the wiki.  Just the elaborate changelog.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,832 posts
1 hour ago, AspiringCodger said:

One thing that kept popping up on the EU and Steam forums was people talking about teams with more bots than players on both sides, so I'm thinking not.

They can if there are no other players period. If there are at least some players in the queue that meet the criteria, then it will fill in the team with bots. I can't remember what the time limit is, maybe a few minutes.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,710 posts
11,324 battles

Yea, not sure all the details, but for the first 100 matches or so you seem to be only in matches with other newbs and bots.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,735 posts
7,354 battles

You're protected unless you go past T4, such as having a T5 premium and taking it out. You lose protected status at that point. T4 is the protected cut-off.

Sign in to follow this