You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Honor dseehafer with an Admiral! (Poll)

What should the German special captain be named, in honor of dseehafer?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What should the German special captain be named, in honor of dseehafer?

• Franz Dseehafer
    • Reinhard Dseehafer
    • Otto von Dseehafer
    • I don't have an opinion but I like to vote in polls
  2. 2. Should WG make the minor changes to Tirpitz that dseehafer championed as a way to memorialize him?

• Yes, definitely.
    • No. Stick with the special captain only.
    • I don't have an opinion but I like to vote in polls

23 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts

With the passing of dseehafer and the loss of his many contributions to this game, I think some honor for our comrade is appropriate.  There has also been a lingering question about what to do about a special German captain.  There are many good WWI choices, and even a few from WW2.  But given dseehafer's focus on the Tirpitz, why don't we address both at the same time.  How about an Admiral named for him.  (His user name anyway.)

While we're at it, let's fix the Tirpitz.

• Cool 12
  • Bad 3

[POP]
Members
841 posts
9,497 battles

How about just "Admiral Dseehafer".?

(+1 - Nice initiative thanks)

Edited by Gerbertz
  • Cool 1

[NGA-B]
Members
1,215 posts
7,651 battles

Now what would his special skills be? Extra bonuses to BFT and AFT? Or should he have something like Yamamoto wherein he gets bonuses for getting CQE?

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
841 posts
9,497 battles
8 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Now what would his special skills be? Extra bonuses to BFT and AFT? Or should he have something like Yamamoto wherein he gets bonuses for getting CQE?

Hadn't thought of this!

I was hoping for something like fireworks...

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,212 battles
18 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Superior German Engineering - grants either extra effectiveness to heal on battleships (10%), 5% longer duration hydro on German cruisers, 10% increased HP granted by survival expert on German DDs.

This way he can be used in every ship German ship (except GZ).

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,212 battles

I also officially submit for the name, "Vice Admiral Count David von Dseehafer."

[-BMV-]
Members
1,186 posts
5,548 battles

I can't think of many people more deserving of being made into a captain than Dseehafer.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,212 battles

We need to summon @Pigeon_of_War

WarGaming does a good job supporting the comunity, and Dseehafer was surely a pillar of the NA WoWS community.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,957 posts
12,479 battles

Yes and yes. As for this captain's name, David Seehafer.

• Cool 3

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,918 battles
33 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

I think either this, or a small bonus to battleship torpedo reloads, honoring the fact that Tirpitz was his favorite warship.

Not that I knew him or interacted with him personally (I knew of him and read some of his posts), but I did read all six pages of the thread about his passing.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,607 posts
13,239 battles

Well I definitely enjoyed his post and respected him in game and I'm sorry to hear he passed but but I must play The Devil's Advocate here I don't believe any of us should be singled out or all of us should be granted this in game

just to keep the flood of never-ending I think this guy should be special or that guy topics

I know a lot of us miss him but I think we should just keep it in our hearts

[DPG]
Members
824 posts
4,241 battles

This is a slippery slope and reminds me of something the devs did in another game I played.  A member of the community on one of the larger servers passed away and they erected a model of his pvp "toon."  This was fine, but they decided that same model needed to be on every server.  We had other members on other servers I played on pass away that were just as beloved.  Were they supposed to also get some special recognition?  As nice a gesture as it may seem, you're going to create a precedent that may cause more problems down the road.

Edited by Amenhir
  • Bad 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, Gerbertz said:

How about just "Admiral Dseehafer".?

(+1 - Nice initiative thanks)

This^^^^^^

Simple Effective 

[SIM]
Members
2,442 posts
4,080 battles

I like the idea, but if it’s too much of a moon-shot, then we could always just rename John Doe to Dseehafer (or some variation thereof).

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
18 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Well I definitely enjoyed his post and respected him in game and I'm sorry to hear he passed but but I must play The Devil's Advocate here I don't believe any of us should be singled out or all of us should be granted this in game

just to keep the flood of never-ending I think this guy should be special or that guy topics

I know a lot of us miss him but I think we should just keep it in our hearts

A One time Only Honor to his dedication to WoWs and his ability to make sense when others drew from the imagination he drew from facts.

History is and will always be about the facts.

I say Give this honor to Dseehafer.

He is one of the best of our community.

Not the First nor the Last, but This on Player had so much to give.

He gave it freely and unselfishly.

Time to Give something Back.

• Cool 2

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

He definitely deserves to be memorialized in some way, and a special German captain would do the trick nicely—especially since there isn't one yet and the German tech tree has basically been finished.

That said, either way WG definitely needs to fix the Tirpitz.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,192 posts
8,798 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

A One time Only Honor to his dedication to WoWs and his ability to make sense when others drew from the imagination he drew from facts.

History is and will always be about the facts.

I say Give this honor to Dseehafer.

He is one of the best of our community.

Not the First nor the Last, but This on Player had so much to give.

He gave it freely and unselfishly.

Time to Give something Back.

This and being a gaming handle there should be no family issues and it seems that they would appreciate it.

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

I dunno if turning someone into a cartoon character (that some people will dismiss or throw away) is quite proper as far as a memorial is concerned. That's why I had suggested lowering Tirpitz - because it could be known as 'Dseehafer's change,' and it would be a practical alteration that folks who knew him would think about every time they looked at or played the boat. By contrast, you introduce an Admiral Dseehafer, and probably 90% of the people who collect him aren't going to have a clue that there's any special significance at all (recall that we on the forums are just a small slice of the community).

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,192 posts
8,798 battles
22 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

I dunno if turning someone into a cartoon character (that some people will dismiss or throw away) is quite proper as far as a memorial is concerned. That's why I had suggested lowering Tirpitz - because it could be known as 'Dseehafer's change,' and it would be a practical alteration that folks who knew him would think about every time they looked at or played the boat. By contrast, you introduce an Admiral Dseehafer, and probably 90% of the people who collect him aren't going to have a clue that there's any special significance at all (recall that we on the forums are just a small slice of the community).

It is not uncommon for the MMORPG games to honor people with NPC names and captains names are this games equivalent.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,422 posts
3,413 battles

Considering that WG already did put a tribute to another special player into the game as one of the possible generic USN Captain portraits, I could see WG doing the same for Dseehafer at minimum, as well as the Tirpitz historically accurate update.

A special Captain would be preferable too, though doing the opposite; a generic portrait but a special name, like some of the other Special Captains, similar to Jean Honore, Jack Dunkirk, and John Doe.

If WG does do a special Captain rather than a special portrait to simultaneously honor Dseehafer and also get a German captain in, I'd support one with improved BoS (-30% to Fire and Flooding Duration) and improved Vigilance (+35~40% to Acquisition range of Torpedoes). Both of which suitably fit the brawler-heavy KM line in general (BoS for the KM BBs, and Vigilance benefiting both active (Hydro) and passive torpedo spotting; more for the cruisers and DDs).

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
416 posts
12,649 battles

Took a while to find this, but WG set a precedent about a year and a half ago.  This is a bullet point from the 6.0 update:

Visual and Graphics Changes

• Added new Commander images, including a US Commander portrait featuring the likeness of World of Warships player Markcou, a devoted Canadian NA World of Warships player and TRIO Clan member of more than four years before they passed away. o7 Markcou!

•  

{NOTE: This is a plain vanilla captain with no special abilities.]