You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoMalice

Free XP Cleveland ?

23 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
16 posts
344 battles

I'm grinding Omaha right now, its ok, depending on MM.

I have enough ship XP and free XP combined to buy the Cleveland now.   Should I go ahead and get it and start accumulating XP on Cleveland or save the Free XP and wait until enough XP on the Omaha?    

Not sure of the value of the free xp vs. the xp accumulated on the Cleveland prior to changes.

[SUCIT]
Members
770 posts
3,493 battles

There is no value in having XP on a fully upgraded ship unless you are planning to use doubloons to convert it to free XP.  Save your free XP and use it for initial upgrades on higher tier ships.  Don't waste it on skipping ships or accelerating ships you already have upgraded, unless you have more free XP than you'll ever use.  

Basically, grind for the Cleveland, and once you get it, use your free XP to upgrade the modules if you want.  

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,660 battles

I'd say save your free xp. Playing cleveland completely stock won't be very pleasent to say the least.

Particularly if you don't have any problem with the Omaha and isn't in a dire hurry to move on, I'd say saving a good amount of free xp so that after you research the cleveland there would be a good 20k-30k left to skip certain stock modules.

[HINON]
Members
8,800 posts
7 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

I'd say save your free xp. Playing cleveland completely stock won't be very pleasent to say the least.

Particularly if you don't have any problem with the Omaha and isn't in a dire hurry to move on, I'd say saving a good amount of free xp so that after you research the cleveland there would be a good 20k-30k left to skip certain stock modules.

He could always do the stock grind in operations. The cleveland is one of the best cruisers for ops imo.

[-TOG-]
Members
19 posts
1,007 battles

Sorry to hijack the thread. 

I have the Cleveland now.  Is there any additional benefit to grinding the USN cruiser line in preparation for the split (commander xp, other ships, etc.)?  I would like to continue developing my skills in Tier IV and V, but I don't want to miss out on something.

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

Unless you want the Cleveland before the split. You will end up with both a tier 6 and a tier 8 CA. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,724 posts
3,912 battles
24 minutes ago, NoMalice said:

I have enough ship XP and free XP combined to buy the Cleveland now.   Should I go ahead and get it and start accumulating XP on Cleveland or save the Free XP and wait until enough XP on the Omaha?    

Not sure of the value of the free xp vs. the xp accumulated on the Cleveland prior to changes.

I posted extensively about this a week or two ago, not knowing whether I'd be able to make the cut. As it happened, I won some premium time and I had a lot of free time over Easter, so the grind was a cinch, but here was my reasoning before I knew all that: 

Hold your fire. Keep grinding until a day or two before the split. If  you have the Cleveland, you're good to go; if you don't yet, you will know exactly what will happen when the split occurs and know whether the Free XP you have left to pay is worth it.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
Members
777 posts
3,090 battles

You also need to consider the additional XP, on the Omaha, required for the new line generated from the split.

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
32 minutes ago, dzilla77 said:

I have the Cleveland now.  Is there any additional benefit to grinding the USN cruiser line in preparation for the split (commander xp, other ships, etc.)?  I would like to continue developing my skills in Tier IV and V, but I don't want to miss out on something.

Right now, we don't know the final stats of the U.S cruisers upon the line split or when the line split will happen; although, since they are on the test server, it is sooner than later. Also, it is speculation at this point and time as to how WG will handle the line split, but what is being pontificated is based on what they have done with the two other line splits that have happened in the past in WoWs.

Based on what the community contributors have drawn conclusions from based on that and what WG has said in the dev blogs, the U.S. cruisers will split after the tier 5 Omaha into heavy cruisers and light cruisers. The tier 6 Cleveland will move to tier 8 in the light cruiser branch split and the Pensacola will drop down to tier 6 in the main line on the tech tree for U.S. heavy cruisers. So what will happen if you own a Cleveland?

If you own a tier 6 Cleveland, you will most likely get the tier 8 Cleveland and then be compensated a tier 6 Pensacola.

As far as your captain on the Cleveland goes, it will remain at tier 6 with the 'Cola and you will get a "new" captain with the tier 8 Cleveland. It will either be an 8 point or possibly a 10 or 15 point captain based on how many points current Cleveland captain is (we really don't know at this point). WG will announce the split before it happens; so, if you wanted, you could put your Cleveland captain in reserve, but you would still have to retrain it for the tier 8 Cleveland. I assume if you did that, you would get a new captain on both the Pensacola and the Cleveland, but not 100% sure.

What about if you own the premium camo for the Cleveland? If you have it on the tier 6 Cleveland, you will most likely have it on the tier 8 Cleveland and should also get it on the tier 6 Pensacola. 

What about any XP I have on my Cleveland? Any XP you have accrued on the Cleveland will not go to the tier 8 Cleveland if you are hoping to unlock the tier 9 Seattle, but instead will remain at tier 6 with the Pensacola; so, you can plan to unlock the tier 7 New Orleans.

Here are some good videos by Notser on the U.S. Cruiser line split. Again, I want to preface that what you see in these videos and what you glean from the forums is still best, guess speculation at this point and time on what will happen with the U.S. cruiser line split.

Edited by daVinci761st
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,724 posts
3,912 battles
11 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

You also need to consider the additional XP, on the Omaha, required for the new line generated from the split.

Translation: Keep the Omaha for now, because you will still need the XP she earns to research the new Tier VI light cruiser even if they give you the Pensacola for nothing (moving the Cleveland to Tier VIII won't unlock the ships below her in the new line).

But that second grind is something that can be done at leisure; there's no need to give yourself even more of a heartache now.

My current question is whether it's worth free-XP-ing to the current Pensacola.  If it turns out they're going to throw ten-point captains at everything the answer is probably yes; if not, it's definitely no. I don't want to commit myself to an 80,000 XP grind in a ship I'm not familiar with when there are teasing rumours of premium ships (Varyag) and compatible commanders to win in patches coming up. Plus I want to grind out space battles for elite commander XP before that opportunity disappears, so all in all the best thing for me to do in US cruisers right now is sit on my hands and wait for firm official news.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,722 posts
7,354 battles

You only have 186 rounds. I suggest continuing the grind, you'll need A) That free XP later, and B) To gain a better understanding of the game, the ships and how to drive them, and overall mechanics before you start facing Tier 8 players and ships, which is what will happen if you scoot ahead to Tier 6.

Members
17,727 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, dzilla77 said:

If you still have Omaha, (or can rebuy it) you could continue grinding it, until you have enough XP to unlock Cleveland again.

That way, you'll be able to get Dallas immediately, if you wish to play T6&7 USN CLs.

[WOLF6]
Members
16 posts
344 battles

Thank you all for the replies.   Pretty much hit all the nails I needed driven.   

Good fortunes to all.

[SF-3]
Members
1,431 posts
7,882 battles

I would grind out the Omaha to the Cleveland, w/o spending an FXP. They haven't announced a date for the split so I think there is still a good amount of time. The biggest advantage to have the Cleveland before the split is, you will get the new T8 Cleveland on the CL branch and the T6 Pensa in the CA branch, assuming they follow the pattern of previous splits. Any further grinding on Omaha, you can use that xp to unlock the new T6 CL, if thats what you want. 

[-TOG-]
Members
19 posts
1,007 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

If you still have Omaha, (or can rebuy it) you could continue grinding it, until you have enough XP to unlock Cleveland again.

That way, you'll be able to get Dallas immediately, if you wish to play T6&7 USN CLs.

I do still have the Omaha and I like playing it very much.  So, if I accumulate xp on the Omaha, I can apply it to the second Tier VI that I wouldn't get to replace the Cleveland?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,387 battles

GET THE CLEVELAND.  Grind as much as you can to save your free XP, but get there.

You can use the extra Free XP on the modules.

Work it up as much as you can at Tier 6.  Once it goes Tier 8...  I fear it will be less pleasant.

My alt account is at this same spot, grinding the Pensacola.  I have the Anniversary camo for the New Orleans.. 

Will that Anniversary camo go to the Baltimore, or lose $5 in value, dropping to tier 7?  I don't know....

I only need a little of the Free XP to get there, but it will drain all my credits to outfit it.

But it'll have perma-camo until the split happens.

[PVE]
Members
8,819 posts
7,254 battles
1 hour ago, NoMalice said:

I would wait to FXP anything on the US cruiser line until right before the line split. We should get a couple week notice of the official compensation package before the split. I would then FXP the day before the split IF you find it worth it for what you get. You might be able to finish the grind to Cleveland or more depending on when the split happens. 

Since you have T6 Cleveland, you will get the T8 Cleveland and most likely the T6 Pensacola as compensation. You might get the T6 Dallas IF WG decides to swap a CL for a CL, but it is much less likely to happen that way. Either way, you will get a T6 ship to replace Cleveland. 

If you have the T7 Pensacola, you should get the T7 New Orleans as a replacement when Pensacola goes to T6.

If you have the T8 New Orleans, you should get the T8 Baltimore as a replacement when New Orleans goes to T7. 

If you have the T9 Baltimore, you should get the T9 Buffalo as a replacement when Baltimore goes to T8. 

Perma-camo for the Cleveland would be good as it should change to be T8 permanent camo. You should also get replacement T6 permanent camo.

Not sure what is going to happen with the T7-T9 permanent camo as it will be dropping down one tier. It might be better to buy them early if the compensation is good or just wait if the benefit stays the same. Only the official compensation package will answer that question I believe.

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,431 battles
3 hours ago, NoMalice said:

There's still probably at least a month, maybe even a month and a half before the USN Cruiser split happens so you still have time.

My suggestion would be to wait as long as possible & grind the XP (you may not have to spend any Free XP to get your Cleveland or much less if you wait until closer to the split).

The reason you may want to save your Free XP for something better is:

• You can use it to get a FXP Premium like the Musashi (750K FXP) or Nelson (375 FXP) - both very good/fun ships and money earners
  • You can use FXP to get past more painful ships w/ longer stock grinds down the road

One thing to keep in mind there is an upcoming Free XP conversion sale this weekend (April 13-17).  During this period, if you wanted to convert Elite Ship XP on your ships to Free XP, you could at a 40% bonus (35:1 conversion, instead of 25:1).  This sale happens only about 3 times a year so if you want to convert (essentially purchase the conversion w/ doubloons) Elite Ship XP -> Free XP,  this is the best deal you'll get on that.

Elite Ship XP is collected on a ship when all upgrades for a ship are fully researched (but not necessarily purchased).  If you do the research on the next ship in line to unlock it (in your case that would be the Cleveland), any additional XP earned on the Omaha is put into a pool of Elite Ship XP that can be used during the Free XP Conversion sale.  To find out if you have any Elite Ship XP to convert, click on the Gold Star (Free XP) summary at the upper right corner of the UI when you're in your port.   This will bring up a scrollable summary of any Elite Ship XP that is available for you to convert to Free XP (again wait until the sale this weekend if you want to do this).

Also, trying to accelerate moving up past the Cleveland doesn't have a huge additional bonus in your case.  The Split compensation has a primary benefit for your example, if you have the Cleveland on the day the split patch drops.  This will likely get you the new T8 Cleveland and the Pensacola for free which will be moving into the old Cleveland's slot.  The following link describes what is likely to happen if WG's pattern of compensation follows that of the past splits:

WOWS Enjoyment - When Lines Split...

WG has a very Player-friendly policy when a Tech Tree Line splits.  Players are generously compensated new ships depending on what ships they have in port at the time of the split.  This article explains the mechanics of what happens as of the 1st 2 line splits that occurred and what is anticipated for the 2018 USN Cruiser Line split in specific detail.  If you want to know what ships to have in your port to net some free ships w/o the grind, this post is for you. (This post will be kept current re: WG Policy as to what happens.)

You can use the info in the link to determine if the tradeoffs are worth it in your specific situation.

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,928 posts
2,203 battles
3 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

He could always do the stock grind in operations. The cleveland is one of the best cruisers for ops imo.

Yep.  I still play the Beaver in Ops whenever possible, even though I have no use for the XP.  Just a fun, fun ship.

@NoMalice, set your sights higher and shoot for Pensacola.  Grind Cleveland in Scenarios and you'll be there sooner than you think.  Also, play a few games with the stock Beaver when you get it instead of immediately spending FXP on modules.  Every point of XP the ship earns will offset a point of FXP, and FXP is *much* harder to come by than the regular kind.  For instance, last night I played *one game* in Friant (to take advantage of the sale) and earned 1900 XP.  Then I used FXP to level up.  That one game saved the equivalent of about *five games* of FreeXP!  Do everything you can to save your FXP for when you really need it.

Members
17,727 posts
5,084 battles

I do still have the Omaha and I like playing it very much.  So, if I accumulate xp on the Omaha, I can apply it to the second Tier VI that I wouldn't get to replace the Cleveland?

That's right. You can't do anything with it now, but as soon as the split happens, when you look at the Omaha modules, instead of the Cleveland at the bottom, it'll be Pensacola and Dallas. You'll get Pensacola for free, and it will show as already researched, and Dallas will show an XP cost, which you can use that saved XP to unlock.

[PVE]
Members
496 posts
4,072 battles

Save your FXP, maybe grind some extra XP on the Omaha to unlock the Dallas (or whatever the new T6 CL is going to be) when the split happens. Though if you already have the Cleveland you won't have to unless you want the new T6 and T7 CLs

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

If you enjoy the ship, keep the ship and player her as much as you like. Just remember, going up in Tiers does not make the game easier or always makes the ship better. Hence I mostly play Ryujo and Tier VI-VIII