Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Normandie camo mission LOLtorps frustration

19 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
4,001 battles

Get five torpedo hits with destroyers, they say. Easy, they say.

You have no idea HOW MANY co-op and Operation Aegis games I had to play last night to get this done. The bots, wary at the best of times, were super-wary.

The LOL part came afterwards when I was cooling down from the tasks, and I thought I'd take my Svietlana out for a spin (again in co-op). Yep, a Tier 4 cruiser completely ineligible for the task in every way... and I get five torp hits in one battle, easy-peasy. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[SYN]
Members
14,381 posts
10,260 battles

the bots will dodge if you throw more than one set of torps at them

[HYDRO]
Members
1,343 posts
3,669 battles

I have found the Nicholas to be an excellent ship to clear the torpedo hit mission in a single battle.  Its torpedoes are sufficiently low damage that around five are needed to sink a same tier battleship, and you get 12 of them. They also load pretty fast and because of their short range have you close the distance.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
4,001 battles

Does this mean they won't if you just fire one? Shall have to try that out sometime, although thank God I am up to 12 missions so will only have to do the cruiser and battleship tasks tonight. Cruisers is a pushover and battleships I want to do with the Normandie for obvious reasons.

(Does the perma-camo magically appear on the ship when you win it, or does it merely appear as one of many options when you go into the Normandie's camo selection screen?)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
4,001 battles
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I have found the Nicholas to be an excellent ship to clear the torpedo hit mission in a single battle.  Its torpedoes are sufficiently low damage that around five are needed to sink a same tier battleship, and you get 12 of them. They also load pretty fast and because of their short range have you close the distance.

I agree. I had the Nicholas, but sold her when I got the Farragut because I don't have enough port slots.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[HINON]
Members
8,870 posts

The trick is bots know you launch the minute you fire if you have them target locked. Therefore,  you unlock using the x key right before launching and they won't react to the torps.  They may still change course due to other factors.  Hope this helps. 

• Cool 3

Members
62 posts
20,919 battles

I am a BB main. I have not played DD's in over a year. These missions are the first time I have taken one out and I chose Nicholas. To give an example, yesterday on 2 brothers map. I sank 6 ships for a total of 11 torpedo hits. I lucked out and looked like a brilliant DD player, when I have no idea what I was doing. I just shot at red sh**, err i mean ships. Try Nicholas, she is great for this mission.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts
27 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The trick is bots know you launch the minute you fire if you have them target locked. Therefore,  you unlock using the x key right before launching and they won't react to the torps.  They may still change course due to other factors.  Hope this helps. 

This ^^^ - its the only way i've ever been successful with torps in coop.

And... this technique works with MB against humans too... been doing it a long time on those who are out and about alone or nearly alone. Target them, get your guns on them then unlock. "Oooh... that's good.. they found somebody else or i'm out of range" thinks the player. When guns are ready, target, fire, unlock again. EzPz

[O_O]
Members
4,338 posts
9,312 battles

First thing in the morning, haven't finished my first coffee yet, and am confused.

What Normandie camo mission?  I don't have it, just checked.  I don't have a special camo for her, so I haven't already completed something unbeknownst to me.

Dang, just checked the game website.  Obviously I haven't played any French ships, lately.  This has been active for 4 days and somehow I missed it.  I know I read about it here at some point, but forgot about it.  There hasn't been any notification in-game that I noticed.  I don't usually miss missions, but if not for the forum I would have missed this one.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,719 posts
9,504 battles
28 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

but if not for the forum I would have missed this one.

yeah said from the Monthly Mission - you need to play any French ship so to unlock the mission first, but glad you can catch up

[ICOP]
Members
813 posts
3,175 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Get five torpedo hits with destroyers, they say. Easy, they say.

You have no idea HOW MANY co-op and Operation Aegis games I had to play last night to get this done. The bots, wary at the best of times, were super-wary.

The LOL part came afterwards when I was cooling down from the tasks, and I thought I'd take my Svietlana out for a spin (again in co-op). Yep, a Tier 4 cruiser completely ineligible for the task in every way... and I get five torp hits in one battle, easy-peasy. :Smile_teethhappy:

You make it sound that all five hits have to be in the same game, which is not the case.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
4,001 battles
4 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

You make it sound that all five hits have to be in the same game, which is not the case.

I know they aren't, but it took me many more battles than I expected to get those five hits (as well as tricky bots, many of my targets died just before the torps arrived). I was merely trying to emphasise the irony that once it was done, I had a single co-op game with five easy hits that I didn't even have to work for.

[HINON]
Members
8,870 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I know they aren't, but it took me many more battles than I expected to get those five hits (as well as tricky bots, many of my targets died just before the torps arrived). I was merely trying to emphasise the irony that once it was done, I had a single co-op game with five easy hits that I didn't even have to work for.

I found yolo rushing bots with the Viking longboat a lot of fun and easy to get torp hits.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
4,001 battles
3 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The Okhotnik.

:Smile_teethhappy:

I hadn't heard that name for it before, but it does make sense.

[WOLF1]
Members
76 posts
4,017 battles

Tried it with my Gallant, no hits. Went out with my Okhotnik aka Viking long boat aka party boat and blammo 15 torp hits.  Went to C cap and got spotted, two cruisers charged me so I unloaded 9 at one and 3 at the other. Sank the 1st and got a hit or two on the 2nd which a team mate finished off. Just as my torps finished reloading, a NM and Colorado came charging in and unloaded 12 more torps and then ran. The torp hit indicator just kept dinging, it was hilarious. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Does this mean they won't if you just fire one? Shall have to try that out sometime, although thank God I am up to 12 missions so will only have to do the cruiser and battleship tasks tonight. Cruisers is a pushover and battleships I want to do with the Normandie for obvious reasons.

(Does the perma-camo magically appear on the ship when you win it, or does it merely appear as one of many options when you go into the Normandie's camo selection screen?)

The perma camo should appear under your camo options for the Normandie, but it likely won't be mounted automatically.  Also, remember to Enable it to refresh, assuming you want that to happen, or else it will be demounted again after your first battle (you won't lose it, it will just be demounted).  Both mistakes I made the first time I earned permanent camo.

Edited by Lillehuntrix

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
959 posts
6,385 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Yep! The bots have an auto-dodge script that activates the moment you launch torps when you have them targeted. Break target lock prior to launching torps and they'll sail right on as if your torps weren't there at all.

Sign in to follow this