You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

A what if Question to all USN (or other) Vets

Would you serve on the Mighty Mo?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you serve on the Mighty Mo?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bacon
    • Beer and Bacon

30 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

I watching YouTube this morning and I watched this video from the Movie "Battleship" when they boarded the Missouri https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwTtOkHwMNI 

So I know the Missouri will most likely never be reactivated, and I really do not want this to go into that debate.

But I do have a "what if" question for all USN Veterans (or any of you). And I can remember when Ronnie brought them back in the 80s, I turned in like four requests for transfer off shore duty to serve on one of them. :cap_haloween:

SO if the Navy brought back the Iowa-class battleships to handle some sort of crisis (does not have to be Aliens) or just to take them out on an turn around cruise, and they called for Veterans (or any volunteers) to man them, how many of you jump at the chance to serve on her?

My answer is a big YES!

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

Well, if the Federation ever decided to up their involvement in Earth affairs (read: assimilate our world), they'd probably just send down a couple of teams to turn the Iowas (and possibly the North Carolina) into star cruiser analogs. Most of the guts would have to be ripped out, and the atmo-lift would not be insignificant, but they would still be somewhat recognizable in their new role as intraplanetary defense ships. Their armor is still good enough to take some measure of abuse from any inertial weapons that manage to punch through Fed shield technology, and the compartmentalization should keep most of the air inside should a hull breach occur. The turrets are large enough to fit some decent-sized par-accs, but not in a 3x3 config—more like a 3x2, and that's assuming the third turret doesn't have to go to make room.

Sadly, they're just too small to mount anything better than a slow, clunky warp drive that wouldn't be much good for the occasional blink-jump across the system. In other words, they would most likely end up as orbit queens and training ships.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
2 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Sadly, they're just too small to mount anything better than a slow, clunky warp drive that wouldn't be much good for the occasional blink-jump across the system. In other words, they would most likely end up as orbit queens and training ships.

:Smile_facepalm:

Members
1,788 posts
17,406 battles

I'm assuming all those guys were veterans in that scene...I know 1 for sure is...

"You've been working on a destroyer haven't you"..."Are you ready to play w/the big boys"..."C'mon we need the help".

Trevzor interviewed him on "Talkin' Ship".

Edit: Sorry...forgot to answer the question...hell's yeah (although I am not a veteran...but I'd volunteer for a chance to man 1 of those beauties...although I'd need a quick hatting on what to do but let's do it).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[BB-57]
Members
122 posts
7,410 battles

As a Machinist Mate (Nuke) who got out in 1994, I can stand watch, take logs, turn valves, and make nasty coffee. Still doing it, though on land nowadays. So count me in. :cap_tea:

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

The sad fact is many of the ww2 ships not only suffer from analog instrumentation that few reactivatable servicemen/women even understand. They also suffer from being badly outdated arms/armor, fuel inefficient, and manpower intensive.

Final nail in the coffin is that many are barely maintained enough to be museums and float. The Texas for example keeps sinking. Although the Iowa and Missouri have better revenue streams, we are quickly reaching the point where the critical infrastructure cant handle the pressures/forces of sitting still, much less going into battle.

Although there is always a hope, you need a reason to put them in service, modern navies can blow them up from beyond their firing range, the world has a dim view of the innaccuracy of their guns (land bombardment) and ferrying troops to another land can be done by commercial planes and commerce vessels. There may be a battle for them, but that is narrowing quickly.

I spoke of something similar with a few officers at work (Pentagon) we do keep a few hundred vessels around for that sort of thing. Most of the points above are brought to my attention through them.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
45 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I'm assuming all those guys were veterans in that scene...I know 1 for sure is...

"You've been working on a destroyer haven't you"..."Are you ready to play w/the big boys"..."C'mon we need the help".

Trevzor interviewed him on "Talkin' Ship".

Edit: Sorry...forgot to answer the question...hell's yeah (although I am not a veteran...but I'd volunteer for a chance to man 1 of those beauties...although I'd need a quick hatting on what to do but let's do it).

From what I have seen, the Movie used a lot of Current Military and Veterans.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
43 minutes ago, DakotaViking said:

As a Machinist Mate (Nuke) who got out in 1994, I can stand watch, take logs, turn valves, and make nasty coffee. Still doing it, though on land nowadays. So count me in. :cap_tea:

Well I an ex-Engineman, who stuck for his rating I can even start the boilers, so MM we got at least two for the engine room.:Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
26 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

The sad fact is many of the ww2 ships not only suffer from analog instrumentation that few reactivatable servicemen/women even understand. They also suffer from being badly outdated arms/armor, fuel inefficient, and manpower intensive.

This is not really what I wanted to get into, but thanks for your input.

[BB-57]
Members
122 posts
7,410 battles
29 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

we got at least two for the engine room.:Smile_honoring:

Going to be some awfully long watches...

Better get started on that coffee.

Edited by DakotaViking
brewtime

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles
18 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

This is not really what I wanted to get into, but thanks for your input.

Oooh man, this is what happens when you should have just taken a nap.

I completely missed you last part...

So to give an on point answer....

I would jump at the chance. I come from the mens dept of navy...but there would be few experiences that  could compare, in order of preference

1. Arleigh Burke during a max performance shakedown.

2. Missouri/Iowa during anything..

3. USS G Ford during flight ops on deck.  Was at the commisioning ceremony/tour, absolutely amazing experience in itself.

4. Any sub underway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
1 hour ago, c3shooter said:

4. Any sub underway

A Sub!! No way not for me LOL:Smile_honoring:

1 hour ago, c3shooter said:

Oooh man, this is what happens when you should have just taken a nap.

I completely missed you last part..

NP, sorry if I came off the wrong way in my reply.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
1 hour ago, DakotaViking said:

Better get started on that coffee.

:cap_haloween:LoL well there might be a issue with that, I spent 8 yrs in and I never drank any coffee, see I cannot stand the taste of it LoL:cap_haloween:

I drink Pepsi for my caffeine fix.:Smile_honoring:

And the watches would 12 on and 12 off.

Members
588 posts

I was frequently aboard several when they were commissioned and after several big who ha national emergencies yes I would but really would prefer other assignments. Wildly different going aboard the museum ship compared to the commissioned ship.  Start with a smaller crew to do more work than the WWII crews.  The no sleep would end a lot of excitement quick.  The list of issues would be very, very, very long. The unsolvable list massive. 

Look it was nice to visit but I was very happy to get back to my Destroyer.  I suspect that many would end up feeling the same way. 

[TF-64]
Members
364 posts
12,597 battles

I've done boiler checks in the past so I could be useful in the engine room as well. But I'm sure plenty of training would be needed to those specific units. 

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
5,573 battles

I wanted to serve on one of the Iowas when I was in, but my spec had me jumping from one ship to another, and never got on one. I'd jump onto one if they needed me and I could pull out my old notes. Battleships are not places for 'I think I remember how that works, but I'm not sure...' .

There would be one important question that you didn't include in the question...

Would I have to meet the PRT reqs to get aboard? Afraid my BMI isn't what it used to be.... :)

Edited by Jakob_Knight

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
43 minutes ago, Slightlyaskewed said:

I've done boiler checks in the past so I could be useful in the engine room as well. But I'm sure plenty of training would be needed to those specific units. 

Okay you are on the Mid-Watch tonight:Smile_honoring::cap_haloween:

[H_]
Members
217 posts
6,999 battles
1 hour ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

A Sub!! No way not for me LOL:Smile_honoring:

NP, sorry if I came off the wrong way in my reply.

LOL.. Chaos, subs aren't bad.. actually a fair amount of room.  Former FTG1/SS that served on the USS Bremerton SSN698, which by the way just returned to Pearl after it's last 6 month deployment, never to go out again. Longest active Sub in the fleet.

And yes, I'd serve on any those big floating targets..  Would be a hoot. 

Although honestly in this day and age, Subs and Air power would be a tough nut to defend against.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
21 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Would I have to meet the PRT reqs to get aboard? Afraid my BMI isn't what it used to be.... :)

Well I am sure with my broad stern, the USN would have a good chuckle with me showing up.:cap_haloween:

And the last time I lit a boiler was way back in 1980, but I would try again.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
3 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

And yes, I'd serve on any those big floating targets..  Would be a hoot. 

Yeah they would the only ship I would serve on over one of the Iowa's would be the USN's Grand Lady - USS Constitution.

But Subs nope sorry not for this old hole snipe. I mean that with all respect to them, it is just not for me.

[SSPL]
Members
73 posts
4,813 battles

Ok, so Yes I would serve on said target.  And no you would not be alone in the ER.  Submarine NON NUC MM, certified diesel engine inspector, EOOW qualified on steam and diesel plants as well as former DCA on 2 ships (sub tenders).  And Yes, I still remember the proper lighting sequence for a boiler.  And an absolute yes on the coffee.  Gotta have my DFM infused coffee while in the ER especially if we are P & S. 

[WOLF2]
Members
865 posts
7,014 battles

Was Army myself (jumping out of airplanes, I know.  Botes?  know nothing about them).    I've done the tour of the Missouri, and was taken about how cramped it felt.   Still, it'd be a blast to ride with her at sea.     

Won't be much help with the knobs and pulleys.   Just stick one of those French BB park benches on the stern, and I'll take the first watch!

Edited by DiddleDum
  • Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,608 posts
13,239 battles

well I served on an old carrier in the Navy and after the chance to walk around some of the newer ones I must say they were very nice with more room to do things in and things didn't break or wear out all the time like they did on the old carrier so even though it be fun to be part of a battleship it would just be the honor of being on a battleship that would be nice the rest of it wouldn't be that great

it's like the difference between 57 Corvette and a 2019 Corvette they're both great but the new one is better at everything  and you don't have to throw a lot of time and money at the new one

Edited by silverdahc

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
366 posts
18,026 battles

Everyone's experience aboard ship is different I expect. It would be neat to be on her for an afternoon. I spent 3-1/2  years as a 2nd Class Engineman on 2 Cruisers (the Little Rock and the Springfield), in A division. I'm 65 years old now, so my memory isn't what it once was. However this is what I remember about being at sea. We stood watch in the evaporator flats, 4 on 8 off. For you non-navy guys this means your day went something like this. Up at 3:30 am to stand the 4 to 8 am watch. Work all day doing preventative maintenance on the equipment you were responsible for, back on watch at 4-8 PM. Was on refueling duty every 3rd night from 8-12 pm. Hit the sack. Get back up at 3:30 am and start all over again. As I recall we rotated watches forward every 2 weeks so you didn't always have the same schedule. Drink gallons of coffee to stay awake and smoked cigarettes to take the edge off the caffeine. (95% of the enlisted and officers smoked in my day)

Having said that I served with some of the best people I have ever know. Got to see and experience a lot of things that I otherwise wouldn't have, and prepared me for a fairly successful career in the private sector.

I wouldn't trade my time in the service for anything, but I wouldn't want to do it over. (It would kill me now, it's a young man's job). 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,154 posts

Well you added an option for beer AND bacon, so I, of course, had to pick that.    Otherwise I'd say yes.  I always wanted to join the Navy, but we were in the midst of RIF-ing when I actually tried.  Thanks, Clinton.

Anyhow- I have experience working in large commercial kitchens, so I could work in the galley!   I always did pretty well shooting, too, so I suppose I could man a gun.   I'm from the analog generation- I don't need everything computerized to understand it- I grew up on a small farm, and working for other farmers.

Just don't even think about hanging my butt off some scaffolding painting the upper works- or I'll cook up something that will give the entire crew gas!   ( or make the coffee DECAF!)