You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
davehenrie

I met a Sailor today who crewed a Fletcher Class dd

5 comments in this topic

[CTTDS]
Members
42 posts
7,829 battles

Sitting the lobby of a Dr's office,  my wife noticed an older man with a hat naming the DD he served on, the USS Sproston(DD-577)   We always thank Veterans for their service and so we struck up a conversation for a short time.  I had never heard of the Sproston but soon found out she was a Fletcher class Destroyer and served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.   Our new friend  crewed the boat during Vietnam and suffered through an encounter with a typhoon that damaged the ship.  She ended up sailing to Midway for repairs and had pumps running the entire time.  He said she was decidedly bow-down when she reached the portable dry-dock sent from Pearl to recover her.   Wiki has a fairly thorough history of DD-577.   Some of her Fire Missions in Vietnam were in support of the 1st Cavalry in 1966.  We also know an Army Vet who served during that time period in the 1st Cav.   Amazing how the two worlds intersected through merely thanking Vets for his/her service.

• Cool 5

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,769 battles

For a second I was wondering if he had served in WW2, which would put him into his 90's, and make him a very lucky sailor indeed. Kudos on your respect for his service.

1,542 posts
26 battles

It's always amazing to hear the history first hand from someone who was there. Incredible. Must have been great to meet him

Members
805 posts
2,358 battles

I had a similar experience, but it was a WW2 vet. Saw his hat and went to talk to him before one of my Civil War reenactments and I asked him where he served at and he mentioned he was on the USS Arizona when she was sunk at Pearl Harbor; he pretty much became highly religious after that experience.

[IPWA2]
Members
17 posts
2,340 battles
On 5/27/2018 at 9:47 AM, PcolaTy_1 said:

I had a similar experience, but it was a WW2 vet. Saw his hat and went to talk to him before one of my Civil War reenactments and I asked him where he served at and he mentioned he was on the USS Arizona when she was sunk at Pearl Harbor; he pretty much became highly religious after that experience.

Man, I would be too. They literally survived hell, there is no other explanation other than God keeping you alive.