Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Beorn_of_the_NorthernSea

Most damage I've ever done, still lost...

22 comments in this topic

Members
728 posts
3,787 battles

Hi there guys...  Beorn here.  Wallet warrior par excellence.  As has been mentioned in threads elsewhere, some folks believe that people like me don't deserve to have high tier ships.

Well, I guess, sometimes we don't demonstrate effective usage.  I mean, I only have 2 tier 10 boats (in order of acquisition): Großer Kurfürst, and the Minotaur.  I only have two 19 point captains: the American "John Doe" (I usually bounce around my American Battleships [principally the Texas, Arizona, Alabama and Missouri]) and my Großer Kurfürst captain.  I also have an under 50% win rate, and, although NONE of the signature programs have updated in the past ONE THOUSAND [edited] battles, I have made a slow, steady, improvement in accuracy with both main guns, torpedoes, and damage per match, win or lose.

And yet, here it is, the most damage I have EVER done, in a losing effort.  I was penned in between two cruisers on one side of an island I was floating back and forth behind, and a battleship and a destroyer on the OTHER side.  I simply could NOT get back to our cap to defend and save the game.  I know that my teammates had their own problems, yet as the diamond lost more and more green, I saw only one of the team even try to make it back to our cap; and he was sunk.  By the time I could wrest myself from the awkward position I was in, it was too late and we got capped out.

So, in this first match I EVER did more than 145k damage (and the previous records were all Battleships), Mr. Squishy, my belovéd Minotaur (my two tier 10s are favorites of mine) just couldn't make it happen...

I am gutted.

But I am NOT giving up, and I am NOT turning in my dizzying array of premium vessels to make some dude who plays better than I do at a digital game feel "happy."  In the real world, I spent the vast majority of my life (well over 30 years) competing in combat sports.  As a matter of fact, that is why I am getting a hip replacement this year; brutalizing my body for fun and to pit myself against folks in meat-space.  Here in the realms ethereal, I am not as good; but I am NOT giving up dammit.  And I will take this HARD loss, and, hopefully, learn from it.

Y'all have a good time out there, and I wish better luck for you than I've had.

~Beorn (crippled curmudgeon)

shot-18.04.09_21.06.40-0882.jpg

shot-18.04.09_21.06.44-0564.jpg

shot-18.04.09_21.06.49-0476.jpg

shot-18.04.09_21.07.09-0407.jpg

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
8,407 posts
25,228 battles

Damn, that  sucks. But you better get used to it. Most of my 200K damage games have been losses. 

• Cool 2

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,737 battles

Likewise mine. 269k in Zao, conqueror, and shimakaze all losses. 

I sunk 9 ships in a game in my fujin and we still lost. You can't carry mashed potatoes. 

• Cool 1

[TF_34]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
339 posts
4,345 battles

happens man. cant all be wins, and sometimes sheer dmg isnt enough, in fact, its often not enough. i played a game in my GK where i did 218k dmg, but i made a critical error, turned out from a cap to fight with enemy BB's when i should have turned in. sure i got the the dmg on the BB's, but at the cost of a loss. so i analysed the replay, looked at where i went wrong, and told myself from now on im gonna turn in, not out. next night out, GK again, pushed the cap hard, did 208k dmg and the win. felt good. 

we all win and lose, and we all make great plays and poor ones. key is to try and look at what could you have done different, what could you do next time, what can you do to pull out a win. yes, we all like to blame our team, or that one guy at the back, or any other number of percieved problems, but at the end of the day, that wont help you get any better.

keep up the good play, keep making that effort to improve and more winning good games will come your way :Smile_honoring:

for anyone interested in that 218k dmg loss

Spoiler

yes its a stream highlight

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

just the way it goes sometimes. you can play your heart out and have the game of your life.

but then..

Spoiler

suddenlypotatoes.jpg.3caf201b2df82024c294196c6b248177.jpg

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,334 battles

It's character building!   

A nice game pity it was a loss.  As Vossie said analyse the game so you can get better next time.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,387 battles

i7UAE3I.png

My highest damage is of course also a loss, though I think I could have done better :Smile_sceptic:

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,632 posts
12,647 battles

everything is inflated at Tier X including losses,  This is like getting 70k kraken for a loss. Its a momentum killer... Still valiant effort

[TF_34]
339 posts
4,345 battles
9 minutes ago, pikohan said:

i7UAE3I.png

My highest damage is of course also a loss, though I think I could have done better :Smile_sceptic:

Reveal hidden contents

nice replay. very nice hood game

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,370 battles
1 hour ago, Beornotns said:

Hi there guys...  Beorn here.  Wallet warrior par excellence.  As has been mentioned in threads elsewhere, some folks believe that people like me don't deserve to have high tier ships.

Well, I guess, sometimes we don't demonstrate effective usage.  I mean, I only have 2 tier 10 boats (in order of acquisition): Großer Kurfürst, and the Minotaur.  I only have two 19 point captains: the American "John Doe" (I usually bounce around my American Battleships [principally the Texas, Arizona, Alabama and Missouri]) and my Großer Kurfürst captain.  I also have an under 50% win rate, and, although NONE of the signature programs have updated in the past ONE THOUSAND [edited] battles, I have made a slow, steady, improvement in accuracy with both main guns, torpedoes, and damage per match, win or lose.

And yet, here it is, the most damage I have EVER done, in a losing effort.  I was penned in between two cruisers on one side of an island I was floating back and forth behind, and a battleship and a destroyer on the OTHER side.  I simply could NOT get back to our cap to defend and save the game.  I know that my teammates had their own problems, yet as the diamond lost more and more green, I saw only one of the team even try to make it back to our cap; and he was sunk.  By the time I could wrest myself from the awkward position I was in, it was too late and we got capped out.

So, in this first match I EVER did more than 145k damage (and the previous records were all Battleships), Mr. Squishy, my belovéd Minotaur (my two tier 10s are favorites of mine) just couldn't make it happen...

I am gutted.

But I am NOT giving up, and I am NOT turning in my dizzying array of premium vessels to make some dude who plays better than I do at a digital game feel "happy."  In the real world, I spent the vast majority of my life (well over 30 years) competing in combat sports.  As a matter of fact, that is why I am getting a hip replacement this year; brutalizing my body for fun and to pit myself against folks in meat-space.  Here in the realms ethereal, I am not as good; but I am NOT giving up dammit.  And I will take this HARD loss, and, hopefully, learn from it.

Y'all have a good time out there, and I wish better luck for you than I've had.

~Beorn (crippled curmudgeon)

shot-18.04.09_21.06.40-0882.jpg

shot-18.04.09_21.06.44-0564.jpg

shot-18.04.09_21.06.49-0476.jpg

shot-18.04.09_21.07.09-0407.jpg

GG M8 Keep the dream alive. :Smile_honoring:

[BOTES]
Members
1,895 posts
6,607 battles

So you have a tech tree T10 and are so insecure that you make a thread about your alleged victimhood from several people who told you that they want an experience limit that would stop a brand new player with 0 games played from jumping into T8 premiums, then misrepresent and outright lie about said thread by alleging you were stat shamed and that those people don't want you in any high tier ships, not even in the tech tree. All the while patting yourself on the back.

I have never said this and probably never will again, but holy [edited]crap, if you aren't a millenial, this is why my generation has such an awful reputation. This thread is self-aggrandizing victim complex snowflakery of the highest order. You are extremely manipulative and probably a sociopath irl. If this was some 5d inverse backgammon you sure trolled me good, but I am legitimately disturbed by you now.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Bad 2

[TF_34]
339 posts
4,345 battles
7 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

So you have a tech tree T10 and are so insecure that you make a thread about your alleged victimhood from several people who told you that they want an experience limit that would stop a brand new player with 0 games played from jumping into T8 premiums, then misrepresent and outright lie about said thread by alleging you were stat shamed and that those people don't want you in any high tier ships, not even in the tech tree. All the while patting yourself on the back.

I have never said this and probably never will again, but holy [edited]crap, if you aren't a millenial, this is why my generation has such an awful reputation. This thread is self-aggrandizing victim complex snowflakery of the highest order. You are extremely manipulative and probably a sociopath irl. If this was some 5d inverse backgammon you sure trolled me good, but I am legitimately disturbed by you now.

we missing something?

[BOTES]
Members
1,895 posts
6,607 battles
3 minutes ago, Vossie said:

we missing something?

This thread is the "As has been mentioned in threads elsewhere" thread. I wouldn't have even noticed if he didn't write a nonsensical wall o text in response to me. Then I see what's on the front page and that's how I find myself here.

Edited by awildseaking

[WOLFB]
Members
1,646 posts
8,016 battles

You either live long enough to deal damage but lose the game or you win but did nothing because your team was too good / the ennemi team was complete potato.

Members
728 posts
3,787 battles
15 hours ago, awildseaking said:

Alright there boy, calm your [edited] jets.  You, and the horse you [edited] to get you to ride in on, can kindly go [edited] entirely off and leave my thread.  And as far as being a millennial (you misspelled it by the way), I am what is referred to in common parlance as "middle aged."  Since we're doing some sort of pseudo-scientific faux classification show-and-tell, I am further categorized as a cis-het male, differently abled (though I prefer the term 'crippled' since I have a bad @$$ story how I got that way and people seem to dig my cane), white, former protestant, person of size [6'6" & 340lbs.].

If we want to talk about any [edited], we'll mosey on back over to your B.S. laden completely elitist drivel you passed off as opinion.  Talk about victimhood?  In order to be a snowflake, you actually have to be able to [edited] chill first...  You can take your bat and your ball, and you can go play with yourself.

[edited].

~Beorn (who got a wee might cranky since my mid-day medications were held up because I had to type a few extra moments with a [edited]-canoe)

• Cool 1

Members
1,114 posts
3,141 battles

The best game I ever had was in a scharnhorst. It was 2v5, and I had one kill and a little over 40k damage. We had 2 of the caps, but needed points to win. There was about 4 minutes left. I enabled hard carry mode and started brawling with everything. I did over 169,000 damage and had 6 kills. With just 20 seconds left, our points were about even with theirs, and gaining fast. The only enemy ship was a Mutsuki, and I was the last one on our team, with 4,000 HP remaining. The mutsuki fired and hit me with two shells. Both of them lit me on fire, and I had no damage control. I died with 3 seconds left on the clock. It was the worst defeat I've ever had. I wish I had a screenshot, but I didn't back them up when I switched to an SSD. 

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

(not sure how I deleted the Hood video..) 

Wow...Nice game! A part of me still wants a Hood, but I saw about 5 or 6 places where you were wise to back off, where I would have pushed the issue and got sunk. 

Edited by Sir_Davos_Seaworth

[SYN]
Members
4,521 posts
11,433 battles

Those losses where it feels like you're the only one on the team who's even trying.  It feels that way because, in many cases, it's true.

[WOLF2]
Members
49 posts
3,560 battles

Good game, but real carry games can be up to 200k+ damage and a lot more kills.

Here a game I did on Sunday, we were down 6-3 and hopelessly far behind on points. Still a little mad that the Taskent took 2 of my final kills hehe.

imgpsh_fullsize.png

imgpsh_fullsize2.png

• Cool 1

Members
842 posts

While damage is nice, it's not really something people should be using as a metric of the effort, or skill involved in producing it.

I'm an above-average player, but not really anywhere near unicum, and I've yet to break 200k damage. That's because I tend to have a fairly small standard deviation of my damage inflicted, and my damage inflicted has very little to do with how well the game played out (especially since I'm neither a BB or CV player).

But on the other hand, I regularly (at least once every score of wins) get 2500+ base XP games in wins, and a couple of dozen well north of 3000. 

Same goes in losses:  I've got many dozens in the high teens (1700+) and even the rare few about 2000.

XP is the way to judge how good a match you played. Confederate is an award (much more than even High Caliber) that correlates well with very good play. Kracken, not so much. 

To the OP:  1400+ in a loss is a very good effort to be proud of. Be less concerned about damage inflicted, especially as it gets to be an inflated number as you go up in tiers.

But a 1400 XP loss is very good, whether it was in a T5 or T10.

Edited by EAnybody
  • Cool 1

Members
728 posts
3,787 battles
12 hours ago, EAnybody said:

To the OP:  1400+ in a loss is a very good effort to be proud of. Be less concerned about damage inflicted, especially as it gets to be an inflated number as you go up in tiers.

But a 1400 XP loss is very good, whether it was in a T5 or T10.

Much obliged.  I think, in hindsight, I could've tried to break out and go back to the cap sooner, but the Minotaur is a fragile ship and most of my team (with the exception of one of the destroyers) was further south and, I felt, more able to defend our cap.  Still, I am more of a "do things" than "shoot things" person (as is evidenced by my torps were used more defensively than anything else).

Back to the grindstone.

~B

Sign in to follow this