You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Beanlord

Base Buildings Suggestion

12 comments in this topic

[POTW]
[POTW]
Members
27 posts
4,346 battles

Now that the clan bases have been out for a while, I'm thinking some of the clans have built up their bases and are out of things to do with their oil.  I think that one of the areas neglected in the base are commanders.  To that end, I have some suggestions as to what expansions WG can add to the base.  All costs and effects are nominal -- they are only there to express the concept. 

Officer Recruitment Facilities: These facilities improve the skills of newly recruited officers.

Recruitment Center: If the Recruitment Center is built for 1000 oil, recruited officers come with one additional skill point. Basic commanders receive 1 skill point, exceptional commanders recruited using credits receive 2 skill points, but now cost 20000 credits, and elite commanders (recruited for doubloons) receive 4 skill points, but now cost 35 doubloons.

Officer Candidate School: For an additional 3000 oil above that required for the Recruitment Center, building the Officer Candidate School improves newly recruited officers further. Basic commanders now receive 2 skill points. Exceptional commanders are now recruited for 30000 credits, but they receive 3 skill points. Elite officers now cost 50 doubloons, but receive 5 skill points.

Officer Training Facilities: These facilities improve the rate which officers gain experience.

Officer Training School: Increases experience gained by 4%. The Officer Training School costs 2000 oil to build.

Naval Graduate School: The Naval Graduate School costs 3000 oil above the cost of the Officer Training School, but increases the experienced gained by officers to 6% (total).

Naval Postgraduate School: The Naval Postgraduate School costs an additional 4000 oil above the Officer Training School and the Naval Graduate School, and increases the experience gained by officers to 8% (total).

Department for Veterans Affairs: The Department for Veteran Affairs costs 5000 oil to construct. It increases the conversion rate for commander elite experience to free experience by 20%.

Naval Training Ship Yard: Special built training vessels that reduce the cost of changing a commander’s ship specialization. The Naval Training Ship Yard requires 1000 oil, and decreases the amount of experience needed to change a captain’s ship specialization by 10%. A captain retrained for a new ship for free would require only 90% of the experience normally required, while a captain retrained using credits would only require 40% of the experience normally required. The cost for retraining a commander’s specialization using doubloons would be reduced by 10%.

Naval Exercise Command: The Naval Exercise Command costs 4000 oil beyond that of the Naval Training Ship Yard. It reduces the experience needed to retain a captain’s specialization by 20% (total). Thus basic re-specialization training would require 80% of the normal experience, changing the specialization using credits would require only 30% of the experience normally required, and the cost for changing the specialization using doubloons would be reduced by 20%.

Naval Tactics Facilities: These facilities reduce the cost for retraining a commander’s skills.

Naval Research Laboratory: The Naval Research Laboratory costs 2000 oil to construct, and reduces the cost for retraining commander skills by 10%.

Naval Academy: The Naval Academy costs an additional 2000 oil to construct, and reduces the cost for retraining commander skills by 20% (total).

Naval War College: The Naval War College costs an additional 10000 oil to construct, beyond the cost of the Naval Research Laboratory and the Naval Academy. In addition to the 20% reduction in cost provided by the Naval Research Laboratory and Naval Academy, the Naval War College enables a commander’s skills to be retrained using credits, at an exchange rate of 400 credits per doubloon.

• Cool 3

[XBRTC]
Members
1,198 posts
7,162 battles

I am curious as to when there's going to be something new to do with the oil, and I suspect that prices are going to be interesting on anything new that comes along.

With the proposed items and prices you have listed there, you'd have a lot of people fully building out everything on day one.

My clan, for example, already has everything built out that's available now, and we have enough oil reserve built up to buy everything you described above... more than twice over. And we're not a bunch of unicorns or anything.

• Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
1,895 posts
6,607 battles

tbh 10 points should be the standard free commander for every ship. There's no reason to confer an advantage to people with more skilled captains by gimping new players. At least give them enough to make CE standard.

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

These are all some pretty good suggestions, and WG would do well to think about implementing them to some degree (though I highly doubt they would go for the Department for Veterans' Affairs as you suggest it). However, Rusty has a point in that many clans will be able to simply buy all or most of these buildings in one go—but not necessarily because they have too much surplus oil. Rather, the base price for the introductory buildings is on the low side; for any 1000 oil building you've suggested, triple it, and for any 2000-3000 oil building, double that.

Like I said, these are for the most part good ideas, but for what they do, there's no way in Hades that WG will let clans get them so cheaply, relatively speaking.

Members
126 posts
303 battles

A single addition (call it Naval War College, O Club, Whatever) that adds 3-5% experience gain to clan commanders seems more in line with the design philosophy we’ve seen so far, ie. helpful, but hardly overwhelming bonuses.

[5BS]
Members
4,493 posts

Yeah I would like some Commander skill boosts. Once you have all the ships in a line you want (and/or reach TX) the 3% XP boost is paltry at best, but Commander XP is way more important.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,932 battles

I sense that the OP wants massive boosts to commander XP accumulation and lowering cost of respeccing (don't we all?). 

I think there are too many buildings here that offer basically the same thing, even if I like the general progression. I think it has the potential to make the clan management screen too cluttered. That right sidebar is full enough as is.

Your Department of Veterans' Affairs would better be assigned to removing captain XP from commanders you dismiss and putting it back in the general pool for assignment to newbies.

[POTW]
[POTW]
Members
27 posts
4,346 battles

I wasn't looking for massive captain xp, but some bonus.  My main thought is to make respec'ing a captain less costly.  I often want to try new skills on my captains, but find it prohibitive to do so.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,903 posts
3,284 battles
15 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

Yeah I would like some Commander skill boosts. Once you have all the ships in a line you want (and/or reach TX) the 3% XP boost is paltry at best, but Commander XP is way more important.

Commanders have a special modifier to their experience called "ship bonus," in which all experience modifiers obtained by the ship, is also obtained by the commander, insuring that commanders never receive less experience than the ship they are on. Meaning that 3% XP boost, also applies to the commander as well, making it just as important as a result.

[5BS]
Members
4,493 posts
6 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Commanders have a special modifier to their experience called "ship bonus," in which all experience modifiers obtained by the ship, is also obtained by the commander, insuring that commanders never receive less experience than the ship they are on. Meaning that 3% XP boost, also applies to the commander as well, making it just as important as a result.

Gee, with 10k games I would never have known that. Thank you oh great gatekeeper of informing me of this. It's totally not like proportionally, WGing tends towards giving bonuses directly effecting Commander XP much higher modifiers than XP for ships and that the paltry 3% XP boost for ships would pale in comparison to the likely 10% to 20% Commander XP from the same style bonus.

Edited by _RC1138

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
579 posts
4,549 battles

I actually like these suggestions. Though once the clan facility has been fully equipped (100,000 oil spent on clan level 50, etc), new facilities should be expensive in my opinion.

Or if these facilities are built, the new captains can be trained from the players oil supply, say 10k oil for a 4 point captain etc.