You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MajorRenegade

Solo: A Star Wars Story Trailer

38 comments in this topic

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

They just released this newest trailer for the latest Star wars side storys

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles

Lol going to be busy for a while as far as movies go with this ^ coming out and Avengers Infinity war not far behind.

Will be hillarious to see what new Memes will come out of the latest Star Wars. :Smile_Default:

Personally I like saying “ I am one with the Force and the Force is with me...”  if I feel like I am having to yolo through intense fire and still making it through...

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol going to be busy for a while as far as movies go with this ^ coming out and Avengers Infinity war not far behind.

Will be hillarious to see what new Memes will come out of the latest Star Wars. :Smile_Default:

Personally I like saying “ I am one with the Force and the Force is with me...”  if I feel like I am having to yolo through intense fire and still making it through...

young solo- the Force is fake

Old Solo- The Force is real

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts

Great, another movie about putting together a team, like we haven't seen that done many times already. Though it would be a nice twist if the crew eventually betray Solo, Chewie and Lando.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,300 posts

I'm quite looking forward to this, all the previous Star Wars media has been about things like the Skywalker family drama and blowing up huge superweapons or galaxy-wide politics. Then these anthology films arrive and give us what I've always craved; tales from the boots on the ground. Rogue One gave us a proper war story, about a group that in the grand picture was only a tiny part of the machine, a little gear behind the face of the clock while the big hour-hand of Luke gets all the credit. Now we're getting a tale about how Han got his start, and from the looks of this, it's going to be a heist film set in the Star Wars universe, so right away it's got potential.   I'll be VERY VERY disappointed if what they're stealing is (Insert name of some fancy Imperial tech that they're going to give to the rebels), cause that would just ruin it... you don't make a nice snack only to slap it on top of the same old meal

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

all the previous Star Wars media has been about things like the Skywalker family drama and blowing up huge superweapons or galaxy-wide politics.

Not necessarily true.  Remember that zombie episode of Clone Wars?

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
7,946 battles

I want to like this movie, and hoped this trailer would sell me on it and maybe it was just the teaser - but this guy as Han just doesn't work for me. I mean, the movie is titled "Solo" and I'm at this point more interested in every character BUT Han Solo. Glover may not sound a thing like Billy Dee, but even in the teaser where he's just sitting in the chair the way he sits and I guess the word I want is presence, is very much what I'd expect of Lando. Even what we get in the trailer still feels very Lando. That and I can almost buy him being a Younger Lando in appearance. But Alden he doesn't sound like him, doesn't look like him, there is like nothing that would make me think he was Han Solo if you put him in different clothes. Like they just grabbed a guy off the streets, threw him in a Han costume and said "read these lines". And what made it worse for me was the fact that I thought "Well.... maybe it's just me" - until I went with my family to see Black Panther in which they played a trailer or the teaser for Solo, at which point my sister, who has never really been a Star Wars fan but has seen the movies, same with my mother, much as we talked about enjoying Black Panther they were the first two to go "What was with that Solo thing, that guy seemed nothing like him at all" and my father, who got me into Star Wars, of course agreed.

I was hyped for Force Awakens,  was super hyped for Rogue One which was great and I like both the ending we got, mostly, and would have been fine with the other ending where at least one person survives, Though I also felt the whole "I sabotaged the Death Star" part was unnecessary - It was a thermal exhaust port, so small that while the tactics the rebels used were flawed (should have just dived on it) it was near impossible to hit even with a targeting computer and defended by an insane number of turrets and fighters. Even as a success, and even then, only with last second help from Han, the rebels suffered what at best can be called catastrophic losses. 3 ships out of what, 30+. Exhaust for maximum efficiency, something the Empire would be about, you want the path to be as straight and short as possible. And it's on a battlestation large enough to create a gravity field and heavily defended in multiple ways even though the rebels got the secret plans that otherwise no one would have known about - it was never a plot hole or convenience to me. As... confused as I was at times I was excited for 8, still had some despite what I was hearing after it was released and well.... I'm glad that guy is not doing anymore Star Wars films because we collectively went in my house "What the :etc_swear: did we just watch?".  Solo now I'm just kinda at - well, maybe when it's on demand I'll watch it, or on HBO or something. Even though when they first said "were making a Han Solo" movie I was excited. I mean, I'm still hopeful with 9 with J.J returning (though, hopefully in once again having to do damage control thanks to previous installments, this time episode 8 instead of he entire prequels, it's less retreading episode 6 even though 8 retread some of 5) and as long as they bring Ewan back I'm sure the Kenobi movie if it's still happening will be good. 

But honestly at the moment, Star Wars feels like Disney's "DC equivalent" division. Another thing I want to do well but have no idea what the hell they are doing and not sure they are getting the right people to make some of these movies.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
19 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

I want to like this movie, and hoped this trailer would sell me on it and maybe it was just the teaser - but this guy as Han just doesn't work for me. I mean, the movie is titled "Solo" and I'm at this point more interested in every character BUT Han Solo. Glover may not sound a thing like Billy Dee, but even in the teaser where he's just sitting in the chair the way he sits and I guess the word I want is presence, is very much what I'd expect of Lando. Even what we get in the trailer still feels very Lando. That and I can almost buy him being a Younger Lando in appearance. But Alden he doesn't sound like him, doesn't look like him, there is like nothing that would make me think he was Han Solo if you put him in different clothes. Like they just grabbed a guy off the streets, threw him in a Han costume and said "read these lines". And what made it worse for me was the fact that I thought "Well.... maybe it's just me" - until I went with my family to see Black Panther in which they played a trailer or the teaser for Solo, at which point my sister, who has never really been a Star Wars fan but has seen the movies, same with my mother, much as we talked about enjoying Black Panther they were the first two to go "What was with that Solo thing, that guy seemed nothing like him at all" and my father, who got me into Star Wars, of course agreed.

I was hyped for Force Awakens,  was super hyped for Rogue One which was great and I like both the ending we got, mostly, and would have been fine with the other ending where at least one person survives, Though I also felt the whole "I sabotaged the Death Star" part was unnecessary - It was a thermal exhaust port, so small that while the tactics the rebels used were flawed (should have just dived on it) it was near impossible to hit even with a targeting computer and defended by an insane number of turrets and fighters. Even as a success, and even then, only with last second help from Han, the rebels suffered what at best can be called catastrophic losses. 3 ships out of what, 30+. Exhaust for maximum efficiency, something the Empire would be about, you want the path to be as straight and short as possible. And it's on a battlestation large enough to create a gravity field and heavily defended in multiple ways even though the rebels got the secret plans that otherwise no one would have known about - it was never a plot hole or convenience to me. As... confused as I was at times I was excited for 8, still had some despite what I was hearing after it was released and well.... I'm glad that guy is not doing anymore Star Wars films because we collectively went in my house "What the :etc_swear: did we just watch?".  Solo now I'm just kinda at - well, maybe when it's on demand I'll watch it, or on HBO or something. Even though when they first said "were making a Han Solo" movie I was excited. I mean, I'm still hopeful with 9 with J.J returning (though, hopefully in once again having to do damage control thanks to previous installments, this time episode 8 instead of he entire prequels, it's less retreading episode 6 even though 8 retread some of 5) and as long as they bring Ewan back I'm sure the Kenobi movie if it's still happening will be good. 

But honestly at the moment, Star Wars feels like Disney's "DC equivalent" division. Another thing I want to do well but have no idea what the hell they are doing and not sure they are getting the right people to make some of these movies.

I think you and I share the same problem with the franchise.  It’s being run by the wrong people.  It’s like if Disney bought the rights to Mad Max and started making movies.  You know they’ll be profitable and popular, but it just isn’t the “real” Mad Max.  And then you start questioning what it means to be a fan of a franchise that doesn’t seem to exist anymore, despite movie after movie coming out.

Edited by Sventex

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
32 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

It was a thermal exhaust port, so small that while the tactics the rebels used were flawed (should have just dived on it)

Or the rebels could've just sent a single starship to destroy the Death Star using lightspeed, like what Holdo did in TLJ. Only one volunteer pilot killed, Death Star destroyed. Simple as that.

[BROOK]
1,980 posts
9 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Or the rebels could've just sent a single starship to destroy the Death Star using lightspeed, like what Holdo did in TLJ. Only one volunteer pilot killed, Death Star destroyed. Simple as that.

Once you've weaponized FTL, there's no going back. As they are about to find out.

[SOUP]
7,300 posts
39 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

I'D BEEN SAYING THAT FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!  I EVEN HAVE A VIDEO OF IT IN ACTION:

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
2 hours ago, Wolcott said:

No reason to suicide.  Holdo could have just used a droid.  No reason to risk the life of a pilot in a kamikaze attack.  Droids are expendable.

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
6 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

I want to like this movie, and hoped this trailer would sell me on it and maybe it was just the teaser - but this guy as Han just doesn't work for me. I mean, the movie is titled "Solo" and I'm at this point more interested in every character BUT Han Solo.

I personally enjoyed his performance in "Hail Caesar!" so I'm optimistic about his role as Solo. The actor playing Lando, on the other hand.... I just can't see the charisma that Billy Dee Williams had.

3 hours ago, Sventex said:

No reason to suicide.  Holdo could have just used a droid.  No reason to risk the life of a pilot in a kamikaze attack.  Droids are expendable.

No reason for that crewman to die on the medical frigate either but it happened anyway. I really don't know what Disney is trying to do here.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
20 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

No reason for that crewman to die on the medical frigate either but it happened anyway. I really don't know what Disney is trying to do here.

Disney only really knows how to maximize profitably and market toys.  Telling a story?  That's not important to them.  Else why did The Last Jedi have anti-capitalism message beating us over the head when Disney are so flagrantly uber-capitalists?  I'm honestly surprised people haven't photoshopped Rose into some Communist propaganda posters.  How did Disney let this happen?  They simpler weren't paying attention, because increasing profits was the priority.  Porgs!

talking-porg.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
7,946 battles
22 hours ago, Sventex said:

I think you and I share the same problem with the franchise.  It’s being run by the wrong people.  It’s like if Disney bought the rights to Mad Max and started making movies.  You know they’ll be profitable and popular, but it just isn’t the “real” Mad Max.  And then you start questioning what it means to be a fan of a franchise that doesn’t seem to exist anymore, despite movie after movie coming out.

More or less. Though, I don't think the issue is Disney itself and even if they got Mad Max, I think they could do a good job. It'd just be they have to reopen an R-rated subdivison again (Yes, Disney at one time under it's umbrella had distributors for R-Rated films) and get the right people in. Say what you will of J.J. and episode 7, he knew what was needed to get things back on track and listened to an extent to Georges thing that the films are sort of a circle and have things that repeat like a poem, albeit he may have taken it a tad too far. Rogue One was great. But it's these last 2 films where I'm scratching my head. Even take DC's stuff - that hasn't changed hands in what, near 30+ years. Let's look at the last decade for them - The Nolan series which was really good, and the stand out of the Dark Knight, and then you have the DCEU which is 1 really good/solid film (Wonder Woman), 2 messes that are entertaining and at least do some justice to characters involved (pun not intended) in JL and Squad. And then you have a visually good but writing and character accuracy is at times bad or out right terrible and BvS does not help as a follow up. Then even look at TV - Gotham started out fine and then spiraled with awful writing and just ruining characters or doing weird things that don't work at all to a point even huge comic and DC fans want to forget it. The likes of Kevin Smith and Mark Bernard on a podcast they do called "Fatman on Batman" I think Kevin mentioned it once and Mark was just like "No, lets not" and even Kevin was hesitant to even mention it because he wasn't big on it. Meanwhile, you have the Arrowverse which has had it's stumblings and changes GA pretty radically into a much darker version partially because they couldn't use Batman, and it's become a multiverse that includes GA, Flash, Supergirl and Superman, Black Canary, The Atom, referenced but not seen characters like Hal Jordan, Wonder Woman and Batman, and tons more. Problem WB and Disney SW has are really in writing and directing, and some similar areas but on more the level of individual productions. 

Snyder was not the right choice to helm Superman, his past work should have shown his tone that does not work for that character and was a terrible point to build the DCEU off of, and whoever cast Lex in BvS was a bad choice. Rian Johnson was a terrible choice for episode 8. Depending how this movie goes - Maybe it was calls made by Lord and Miller, Maybe Ron Howard, Maybe the people casting and writing, But, hopefully I'm wrong and it's just those scenes in the trailers are just not that good and he's better throughout.

16 hours ago, Wolcott said:

I personally enjoyed his performance in "Hail Caesar!" so I'm optimistic about his role as Solo. The actor playing Lando, on the other hand.... I just can't see the charisma that Billy Dee Williams had.

Here's the thing for me, I've not seen Hail Ceaser, and limited exposure to Donald Glover beyond things in passing or where he's a side character like Spiderman Homecoming. So for the most part on these actors save Emilia Clarke, I'm going and looking at it blind on what I see here. From the few lines we get of Lando, yes, I can see where his charisma may be lacking, though to me what we see, Alden has the same lack in charisma and possibly charm. Real difference right now for me is still that in terms of actual look and body language/mannerisms, Glover so far is more passable for Lando than Alden is for me as Han. I don't doubt maybe we get to the movie and when I finally see it I'll be surprised, that maybe he's a good actor, but so far he's not Han Solo.

And as to light speed ramming this video explains some of why that wasn't a thing -

As well a the fact that a ship has in fact been rammed at light speed into an object before, one roughly the same size range as the Death Star - The Malevolence in the Clone Wars series (which is still canon). 

Barely does any damage to the planet, and likely, would have had similar effect to the Death Star. TLJ the ships are roughly the same size range and even then just cut a path through it, with the debris slicing the ships behind it to shreds. Ramming the Death Star beyond maybe some blind luck causing a chain reaction in the reactor your talking maybe disabling the main weapon - and then having the entire imperial fleet show up. 

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
20 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

More or less. Though, I don't think the issue is Disney itself and even if they got Mad Max, I think they could do a good job. It'd just be they have to reopen an R-rated subdivison again (Yes, Disney at one time under it's umbrella had distributors for R-Rated films) and get the right people in. Say what you will of J.J. and episode 7, he knew what was needed to get things back on track and listened to an extent to Georges thing that the films are sort of a circle and have things that repeat like a poem, albeit he may have taken it a tad too far. Rogue One was great. But it's these last 2 films where I'm scratching my head. Even take DC's stuff - that hasn't changed hands in what, near 30+ years. Let's look at the last decade for them - The Nolan series which was really good, and the stand out of the Dark Knight, and then you have the DCEU which is 1 really good/solid film (Wonder Woman), 2 messes that are entertaining and at least do some justice to characters involved (pun not intended) in JL and Squad. And then you have a visually good but writing and character accuracy is at times bad or out right terrible and BvS does not help as a follow up. Then even look at TV - Gotham started out fine and then spiraled with awful writing and just ruining characters or doing weird things that don't work at all to a point even huge comic and DC fans want to forget it. The likes of Kevin Smith and Mark Bernard on a podcast they do called "Fatman on Batman" I think Kevin mentioned it once and Mark was just like "No, lets not" and even Kevin was hesitant to even mention it because he wasn't big on it. Meanwhile, you have the Arrowverse which has had it's stumblings and changes GA pretty radically into a much darker version partially because they couldn't use Batman, and it's become a multiverse that includes GA, Flash, Supergirl and Superman, Black Canary, The Atom, referenced but not seen characters like Hal Jordan, Wonder Woman and Batman, and tons more. Problem WB and Disney SW has are really in writing and directing, and some similar areas but on more the level of individual productions. 

Snyder was not the right choice to helm Superman, his past work should have shown his tone that does not work for that character and was a terrible point to build the DCEU off of, and whoever cast Lex in BvS was a bad choice. Rian Johnson was a terrible choice for episode 8. Depending how this movie goes - Maybe it was calls made by Lord and Miller, Maybe Ron Howard, Maybe the people casting and writing, But, hopefully I'm wrong and it's just those scenes in the trailers are just not that good and he's better throughout.

DC's problem is that they're trying to copy Marvel's method of making a ton of money without properly working for it. 

I disagree with you about J.J.  There's a reason that Irvin Kershner rejected Lucas to direct Empire Strikes Back at first.  It was because of his fear that "A second one [Star Wars Film] could only be a second one.  It can't be as good because the first one is the breakthrough".  It was only when George Lucas said  "The film has to be much better, and much bigger and much more complex then Star Wars, because of the second one doesn't work, it's the end of Star Wars" that won him over.  The Force Awakens is the nightmare incarnate that Kershner was dreading, a second A New Hope, no breakthroughs.  TFA was so creatively bankrupt, I find it the be the worst of all the Star Wars movies, because it's like watching a 5th generation xerox.  Star Wars had an immense influence on film-making + literature, so to see a shameless rip-off decades after the fact was just so emotional draining.  This wasn't J.J. bring the franchise on track, this was J.J. betting on both black and red at the roulette table.  As damaging as the Last Jedi was to the franchise, it at least took risks, the screen was alive with new ideas, even if they were poorly through out.

You can find the Kershner talk about it here at 1:29:22

Edited by Sventex

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
7,946 battles
41 minutes ago, Sventex said:

DC's problem is that they're trying to copy Marvel's method of making a ton of money without properly working for it. 

I disagree with you about J.J.  There's a reason that Irvin Kershner rejected Lucas to direct Empire Strikes Back at first.  It was because of his fear that "A second one [Star Wars Film] could only be a second one.  It can't be as good because the first one is the breakthrough".  It was only when George Lucas said  "The film has to be much better, and much bigger and much more complex then Star Wars, because of the second one doesn't work, it's the end of Star Wars" that won him over.  The Force Awakens is the nightmare incarnate that Kershner was dreading, a second A New Hope, no breakthroughs.  TFA was so creatively bankrupt, I find it the be the worst of all the Star Wars movies, because it's like watching a 5th generation xerox.  Star Wars had an immense influence on film-making + literature, so to see a shameless rip-off decades after the fact was just so emotional draining.  This wasn't J.J. bring the franchise on track, this was J.J. betting on both black and red at the roulette table.  As damaging as the Last Jedi was to the franchise, it at least took risks, the screen was alive with new ideas, even if they were poorly through out.

You can find the Kershner talk about it here at 1:29:22

I wouldn't say DC is trying to copy it with no work, albeit yes, they are trying to set up a universe far faster than they should have. But even then, handled right, right people, it could work because honestly, most of the main Leaguer's the public knows their back story, you don't need a ton of time to recap the basics. I mean, part of the hilarity of the situation, as a DC fan that does enjoy Marvel, is that the "formula" in writing and balance of Marvel films is very reminiscent of a formula and balance DC used 26 years ago - in the old DCAU that was very successful. But was abandoned for more of a "Dark Knight" tone like what Nolan was doing. And it did everything Man of Steel and BvS tried to do, and did it better. And you didn't have to watch Batman or Superman before that to jump into JL. It really is to me directors, writers and casting in some cases. 20 years ago, ask someone at random to name 5 Marvel characters that aren't X-men, odds are they struggle, ask them to name 10 DC characters, likely rattle off at least 7. or just what characters they know it'll be mostly DC in most cases. DC embedded it's stuff by branching out big time into TV and Movies in a way Marvel just couldn't till the MCU. Sure, they had X-men, Hulk and Spidey branch out and all well, but for non comics people you really kinda needed and still do for these upcoming films sort of the "year one/origin" film. One thing BvS did right, we do't really need a Bat origin, just a quick flashback at most, maybe quicker than Snyder did it though. Really the same for Superman. Generally Wonder Woman, maybe Aquaman, more people had a base understanding of these characters. Which, to some extent has also hurt the DCEU - Ironman things "wrong" with the character are less evident to the general masses where as Batman or Superman being more well known outside comics people are more likely to go "wait, that's not right for Superman". 

As to J.J. well, it for a change need a little more politics, but it added about as much new materials as the prequels did. I mean, "kid on a desert planet turns out to be gifted with the force, is taken from said planet into space by an older person that teaches them, encounters a "big bad", escapes, has a mentor killed, helps blow up a battle station" - that basically describes episodes 4, 1, and 7. look at 5, 2, and 8, you can draw parallels again. Look at other movies/books/etc and you can find similar patterns. But then again, I didn't expect 7 to be fully original ad expected 8 and 9 to sort of start to maybe change things. There are some additions and changes, small as they may be - name the last time in a Star Wars film you saw anyone stop a lightsaber with a non-lightsaber weapon. Then again - how much stuff is getting pulled from the "Legends" material back into canon in some form or another? Force Awakens is no doubt a "safe" movie, maybe a little too safe in how much it retreads though, points at least for making some fun at that, and really feels like the setup for the new trilogy, or it did till 8, but I'd still say maybe 2 is the worst if not 8. I'm not against new, granted, as I said, borrows from 5 a bit, but some things in that could have been just dropped, some things, like tech, went so far backwards it's not even funny, and some of it felt like what Snyder did with BvS except at least BvS Snyder backlashing against fans for criticizing him it felt like at least, as opposed to Ghostbusters where it was outright clear backlash, this - I'm not sure what he was thinking basically slashing and burning everything.

Maybe it's me, but I'll take the retread over the film with "new" ideas that in the first what, 5-10 minutes, has me going "Wait, why do these heavy bombers exist? the other nearby ships should shred them, Poe took out all the cannons just to clear them but couldn't hit the bridge? We saw 20+ year old Y-wings at Scariff disable a Star Destroyer how do they not have anything else that can do that at that size range and mobility? Why did we just waste this time on such a laughably bad scene and sequence?". 

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
11 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

As to J.J. well, it for a change need a little more politics, but it added about as much new materials as the prequels did. I mean, "kid on a desert planet turns out to be gifted with the force, is taken from said planet into space by an older person that teaches them, encounters a "big bad", escapes, has a mentor killed, helps blow up a battle station" - that basically describes episodes 4, 1, and 7. look at 5, 2, and 8, you can draw parallels again. Look at other movies/books/etc and you can find similar patterns. But then again, I didn't expect 7 to be fully original ad expected 8 and 9 to sort of start to maybe change things. There are some additions and changes, small as they may be - name the last time in a Star Wars film you saw anyone stop a lightsaber with a non-lightsaber weapon. Then again - how much stuff is getting pulled from the "Legends" material back into canon in some form or another? Force Awakens is no doubt a "safe" movie, maybe a little too safe in how much it retreads though, points at least for making some fun at that, and really feels like the setup for the new trilogy, or it did till 8, but I'd still say maybe 2 is the worst if not 8. I'm not against new, granted, as I said, borrows from 5 a bit, but some things in that could have been just dropped, some things, like tech, went so far backwards it's not even funny, and some of it felt like what Snyder did with BvS except at least BvS Snyder backlashing against fans for criticizing him it felt like at least, as opposed to Ghostbusters where it was outright clear backlash, this - I'm not sure what he was thinking basically slashing and burning everything.

Maybe it's me, but I'll take the retread over the film with "new" ideas that in the first what, 5-10 minutes, has me going "Wait, why do these heavy bombers exist? the other nearby ships should shred them, Poe took out all the cannons just to clear them but couldn't hit the bridge? We saw 20+ year old Y-wings at Scariff disable a Star Destroyer how do they not have anything else that can do that at that size range and mobility? Why did we just waste this time on such a laughably bad scene and sequence?". 

If you love retreads, I recommend the book Eragon to you then, it's basically Stars Wars again, but in a fantasy setting.

113436.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
4,133 posts

Watching the trailer, I'm just not feeling it for some reason.  And is it me, but the MF looks elongated.

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
10 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Here's the thing for me, I've not seen Hail Ceaser, and limited exposure to Donald Glover beyond things in passing or where he's a side character like Spiderman Homecoming. So for the most part on these actors save Emilia Clarke, I'm going and looking at it blind on what I see here. From the few lines we get of Lando, yes, I can see where his charisma may be lacking, though to me what we see, Alden has the same lack in charisma and possibly charm. Real difference right now for me is still that in terms of actual look and body language/mannerisms, Glover so far is more passable for Lando than Alden is for me as Han. I don't doubt maybe we get to the movie and when I finally see it I'll be surprised, that maybe he's a good actor, but so far he's not Han Solo.

The performance of the actors would be the least of my worries. For example, River Phoenix portrayed a young Indiana Jones, but I could barely see him as a young Harrison Ford (subjective, I know). What matters is whether the direction and screenplay are good. Otherwise, bollocks with the acting.

10 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

And as to light speed ramming this video explains some of why that wasn't a thing -

As well a the fact that a ship has in fact been rammed at light speed into an object before, one roughly the same size range as the Death Star - The Malevolence in the Clone Wars series (which is still canon). 

Barely does any damage to the planet, and likely, would have had similar effect to the Death Star. TLJ the ships are roughly the same size range and even then just cut a path through it, with the debris slicing the ships behind it to shreds. Ramming the Death Star beyond maybe some blind luck causing a chain reaction in the reactor your talking maybe disabling the main weapon - and then having the entire imperial fleet show up. 

Not an official explanation though, just fan theory which I usually avoid (I blocked every SW channel that has clickbait thumbnails). Besides the video has alot of dislikes and the comments section is flooded with arguments.

And no offence, but I've never seen Clone Wars or any Star Wars TV series for that matter. Canon or not, a movie or trilogy should be able to stand up on its own merit, not require books or shows to complete it.

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles

A Boba Fett / Mandalorian Movie might be good if they need a new idea.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

A Boba Fett / Mandalorian Movie might be good if they need a new idea.

Or maybe they should maker fewer movies, let the ideas built up first before milking the franchise into a dry husk and making Star Wars nothing special anymore.

[SOUP]
7,300 posts
6 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Or maybe they should maker fewer movies, let the ideas built up first before milking the franchise into a dry husk and making Star Wars nothing special anymore.

They've had decades...

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

They've had decades...

They as in who?  George Lucas?  They don't listen to him anymore.

[SOUP]
7,300 posts
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

They as in who?  George Lucas?  They don't listen to him anymore.

The Star Wars community as a whole. And for a group that is milking a dry husk, they sure managed to pull out a gem with Rogue One.
It's the main-line films that have no story left, it's the massive background that has the future of the franchise