You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TonsOfPathos

British AP cruiser shells vs several layers of armor

7 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
604 battles

Recently I was fighting De Grasse from 3km range on Fiji. De Drass was showing me all its broadside and I was making 90 degrees shots into its citadel area but didn't get any citadels. De Grass has huge citadel and I did 4-5 barrages so no way all shots missed citadel. Considering that De Grass citadel armor is just 100mm my guns should easily penetrate it. However, there is a huge gap between armor belt and citadel that made me think that extremely short fuse times on RN AP shells didn't allow me to score citadels because shells exploded in that gap. Is it possible?  

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

French cruisers counter British AP with their spaced armor. Your shells arm in the black hole and you get over-pens. If you aim at the T end of the citadel where it extends to the outer armor you can easily citadel them. This is normally under the foremost gun.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,572 posts
3,901 battles
12 minutes ago, X15 said:

French cruisers counter British AP with their spaced armor. Your shells arm in the black hole and you get over-pens. If you aim at the T end of the citadel where it extends to the outer armor you can easily citadel them. This is normally under the foremost gun.

But not on mine.  I had them put that part in the back, so if you see me in my De Grasse, shoot towards the rear!

Members
3 posts
604 battles
3 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

But not on mine.  I had them put that part in the back, so if you see me in my De Grasse, shoot towards the rear!

That's why my mom told me to not trust strangers : )
However, I guess this can be true because beta testers could potentially have some unusual ships for testing purposes...

[B_O_W]
Members
239 posts
5,299 battles

If you want to easily pen and cit a french ship, skipper a Baltimore or New Orleans.  The US AP is awesome!

But if you are that close, use your torps!  That is what I would do with my Leander or Fiji.