Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheLastSterling

USN & KM Cruisers; Similarities and Differences?

9 comments in this topic

[WAIFU]
Members
60 posts
4,763 battles

So I've just finished grinding the USN cruiser line and found it a very enjoyable expirience; tier 7 and up. Now that has been finished I want to go down another cruiser line. I've managed to finish the nurnberg a while back. How does the KM compare to the USN cruisers?

Edited by TheLastSterling

Members
671 posts
2,201 battles
3 minutes ago, TheLastSterling said:

So I've just finished grinding the USN cruiser line and found it a very enjoyable expirience; tier 7 and up. Now that has been finished I want to go down another cruiser line. How does the KM compare to the USN cruisers?

I had more fun in the Konigsberg than I did in the Omaha, Cleveland, Pensacola, NoLa, and Baltimore combined.  

Edited by SCygnus

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,458 battles

German had torp, USN don't at the higher tier

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,244 battles

meh depends who u ask KM are good cruiser's so are US much more accurate guns on KM but I love how well US fires over islands and KM  seem pretty strong Hipper on up  they both good if you ask me however my fav will allways be IJN  

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles

Bizarrely I score more hits on average with three less guns on Konigsberg and Nurnburg than I do with Cleveland...

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,758 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Bizarrely I score more hits on average with three less guns on Konigsberg and Nurnburg than I do with Cleveland...

Lol yeah Germans seemed to be quite good on the gun accuracy on their vehicles in real life and think Wargaming translated that into the games.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Let me see if I can break down how they stack up correctly:

KM:
Access to hydro from tier 4 on up (starting with B hull Karlsruhe)
Best hydro in-game
Torps at all tiers, but mostly defensive (6k range tops)
Decent to good AA
Turtleback armor starting with the Hipper for better survivability in a brawl
Great AP and accuracy
Speed isn't always so good
Funky turret layout on Konigsberg, Nurnberg, and Roon (A-XY)
HE is meh at best
No radar

USN:
Lose torps from tier 6 up
High shell arcs for shooting over islands
High tier 8" guns get great AP
Good HE overall
INSANE AA
Radar from tier 8 up
Cleveland is a machinegun
Omaha and Pheonix are absolutely killer in their tier
Focus on high rate of fire

My personal preference tier-for-tier is generally German, though admittedly I have yet to play any American cruisers past the Pensacola. The tier where the line differences start to show a bit is 6 with the Nurnberg and Cleveland. Cleveland, as I said above, is just a DPS monster. She's all about the dakka, 12 6" guns firing as fast as possible pumping out either HE at range for maximum FIREpower, or AP in close versus destroyers and fellow cruisers. She's big, loud, carriers hate her, and everyone knows what to expect from her. Nurnberg is a bit more subtle. She has either two or four 3-tube torp launchers depending on the hull you choose: B hull has four and a catapult for spotters, C hull ditches two launchers and the catapult in favor of a beefed up AA suite. Most people seem to like the B best, I prefer C. With C hull and DFAA you can do almost as good a job at clearing the skies as Cleveland. Nurnberg also gets that sweet German hydro with extra range and duration, perfect for sniffing out lolibotes and smoke-camping Brits. Nurnberg is also faster with better range, AP shells, and turret traverse speed, but in exchange for one less turret. She's a kiting ship with those two turrets in the back: Find the enemy, send them a boop on the snoot to let them know you're there, then pull a 180 and hightail it to your team while firing full-auto. They'll either die chasing you or once you get to the big guns.

6 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol yeah Germans seemed to be quite good on the gun accuracy on their vehicles in real life and think Wargaming translated that into the games.

Tell that to their 15" gun crews, yeesh.

• Cool 3

Members
252 posts
1,781 battles
On 4/9/2018 at 8:32 PM, Landsraad said:

KM:
HE is meh at best

Tell that to their 15" gun crews, yeesh.

Except on Yorck, HE is very powerful and practical on that cruiser. Yorck requires alot of maneuvering though. (Yorck can take a few hits & bounce some but will go down fast under heavy BB fire if too much side is exposed or penned through deck/bow)

And I think, Nassau, Kaiser, Konig, and Bismarck in particular need 1.9 Sigma.

Sign in to follow this