You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ImperiumDylan

What are British battleships good at?

17 comments in this topic

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
1,976 battles

Watching the world burn.

• Cool 2

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,719 posts
9,504 battles

:Smile_popcorn:

Wait

WHAT THE >>>>>>>>>>> @#$%#$%^&$@%$#

this guy again????

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,576 battles

They're good at everything. Now have a great day!

Edited by FayFay731
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,381 posts
10,260 battles

Well, they aren't particularly good at tanking, that's for sure.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, ImperiumDylan said:

I want to know but I am not looking for a play style.

Wiki is your friend

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles

Think ninja with a flame thrower. It hides in the darkness then lights you a fire before slipping back into the darkness.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

A major part are their unique shells.

Tech Tree RN BB Armor Piercing shells have short fuses.  Meaning hopefully fewer overpens on Cruisers but it may not pen some BB armor belts as easily.  However, they'll still get pens on places like superstructure, upper hull, etc. on BBs.  But the real temptation is the easy to use HE.

Damage Farming with Fires, HE.  RN BBs get an HE Pen Bonus.  A few have high Fire Chance like Orion, Iron Duke, Lion, Conqueror.  Which is both very good and very bad at the same time.  Good in padding stats when putting fires on Battleships.  Good in reliable HE shell damage.  Bad in that you're relying on fires to pad your stats and not meaningful damage, as fires can all be healed back.  This magnifies a lot when you get to Tier IX-X in the line. 

There's some pretty good AP for particular scenarios, but the typical temptation is just to keep HE slotted instead of having AP at the right time to punish someone.  It's very easy to fall for the temptation of HE because it's simple, but when you do that, you leave YOOGE AP opportunities to punish people.   Here are 2 examples of this in play.

Jt7s5F9.jpg

In the above picture, I took my Republique around that island corner, knowing a Conqueror was sitting there waiting to shoot at something.  I elected to do this because our Fletcher would risk getting 1-shotted at that range, and our Moskva, who had been key in taking Cap C, had taken a torpedo hit.  I was at full HP so it was my turn to take some hits.  But I was not concerned.  I knew Conqueror would have HE slotted instead of AP.  Almost every Conqueror player doesn't know what AP shells are.  Here's another example:

QQYksDn.jpg

This is unfortunate.  This Conqueror player was doing very well, said he had around 251k damage.  He could have had AP slotted and absolutely wreck Montana showing that much side at this range.  Instead, Montana took a few HE shells and fires, put the fires out after Conqueror died, and repaired the damage back.  Any other BB from any other BB Line would have had AP slotted and would wreck Montana like that.

Things like this happen in a lot of the RN BB tiers, HE is very comfortable, easy to use, reliable damage, and you land fires.  But there are times where AP would clearly be a superior choice, and this often is unrealized.

=====

Concealment ranges are competitive but from Tier VIII on, they have Cruiser Levels of Concealment if built for stealth.  VIII-X, they are stealthier than most Cruisers in the game.  Good concealment on a BB is ALWAYS a good thing.

=====

AA?  Wildly fluctuates.  Mediocre to terrible AA, but the high AA RN BBs in the Tech Tree are:  VI Queen Elizabeth, VIII Monarch, IX Lion, X Conqueror.  Of course, if you spec for AA, that means getting AAGM2 and not ASM1.  Some of those RN BBs have very mediocre dispersion and ASM1 for such cases is a necessity to really bring the Troll Factor out in these guns.

=====

Tier IX Lion & X Conqueror have Mega Repair Party in the Tech Tree RN BBs.  That 2nd Conqueror picture above?  He took torpedo hit earlier and it took him down to around 2k HP.  He popped Repair Party and look where his HP is at again.  Check the chat window to see what the opposing DD player thought :Smile_teethhappy:  Remember, only Tier IX-X is where the Tech Tree RN BBs have this Mega Repair Party.

=====

Horrible secondaries, worse than USN BBs IMO, and that's pretty darn bad as USN BBs have very mediocre secondaries.

=====

Coated in 32mm plate armor.  RN BBs are very susceptible to medium and small caliber shell spam.  Cruisers, Destroyers get easy pens on them, even against X Conqueror.  Of interest, French BBs are the same way and share the same vulnerability.  Even the well loved KGV at Tier VII is very susceptible to shell spam.

They also are prone to eating AP penetrations from Battleships.  IMO, RN BBs are not the BBs to sail if you like to brawl.

=====

Overall, RN BBs are a solid Mega Cruiser Battleship Line.  IMO, the highlight ships of the RN BB Line are:

IV Orion - She is OPAF.  She is the only BB in Tier III-IV that actually makes Imp.Nikolai I think, "This is going to be a close fight."  And Imp.Nik.I is OPAF in her own right.

Orion vs Imperator Nikolai I... WHO YA GOT!

giphy.gif

VII King George V - A solid BB in a very competitive BB tier, and located in one of the most favorable tiers in the game.

X Conqueror - The poster child of RN BBs that people love to hate.  Like KGV at Tier VII, a very solid BB in the ultra competitive High Tier BB Field.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

[KP]
Members
2,015 posts
18,493 battles
56 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Troll police, I'd like to file a report.

Did you look at his low number of battles? Its a legit question for someone with less than 350 battles.

[KP]
Members
2,015 posts
18,493 battles
10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A major part are their unique shells.

Tech Tree RN BB Armor Piercing shells have short fuses.  Meaning hopefully fewer overpens on Cruisers but it may not pen some BB armor belts as easily.  However, they'll still get pens on places like superstructure, upper hull, etc. on BBs.  But the real temptation is the easy to use HE.

Damage Farming with Fires, HE.  RN BBs get an HE Pen Bonus.  A few have high Fire Chance like Orion, Iron Duke, Lion, Conqueror.  Which is both very good and very bad at the same time.  Good in padding stats when putting fires on Battleships.  Good in reliable HE shell damage.  Bad in that you're relying on fires to pad your stats and not meaningful damage, as fires can all be healed back.  This magnifies a lot when you get to Tier IX-X in the line. 

There's some pretty good AP for particular scenarios, but the typical temptation is just to keep HE slotted instead of having AP at the right time to punish someone.  It's very easy to fall for the temptation of HE because it's simple, but when you do that, you leave YOOGE AP opportunities to punish people.   Here are 2 examples of this in play.

Jt7s5F9.jpg

In the above picture, I took my Republique around that island corner, knowing a Conqueror was sitting there waiting to shoot at something.  I elected to do this because our Fletcher would risk getting 1-shotted at that range, and our Moskva, who had been key in taking Cap C, had taken a torpedo hit.  I was at full HP so it was my turn to take some hits.  But I was not concerned.  I knew Conqueror would have HE slotted instead of AP.  Almost every Conqueror player doesn't know what AP shells are.  Here's another example:

QQYksDn.jpg

This is unfortunate.  This Conqueror player was doing very well, said he had around 251k damage.  He could have had AP slotted and absolutely wreck Montana showing that much side at this range.  Instead, Montana took a few HE shells and fires, put the fires out after Conqueror died, and repaired the damage back.  Any other BB from any other BB Line would have had AP slotted and would wreck Montana like that.

Things like this happen in a lot of the RN BB tiers, HE is very comfortable, easy to use, reliable damage, and you land fires.  But there are times where AP would clearly be a superior choice, and this often is unrealized.

=====

Concealment ranges are competitive but from Tier VIII on, they have Cruiser Levels of Concealment if built for stealth.  VIII-X, they are stealthier than most Cruisers in the game.  Good concealment on a BB is ALWAYS a good thing.

=====

AA?  Wildly fluctuates.  Mediocre to terrible AA, but the high AA RN BBs in the Tech Tree are:  VI Queen Elizabeth, VIII Monarch, IX Lion, X Conqueror.  Of course, if you spec for AA, that means getting AAGM2 and not ASM1.  Some of those RN BBs have very mediocre dispersion and ASM1 for such cases is a necessity to really bring the Troll Factor out in these guns.

=====

Tier IX Lion & X Conqueror have Mega Repair Party in the Tech Tree RN BBs.  That 2nd Conqueror picture above?  He took torpedo hit earlier and it took him down to around 2k HP.  He popped Repair Party and look where his HP is at again.  Check the chat window to see what the opposing DD player thought :Smile_teethhappy:  Remember, only Tier IX-X is where the Tech Tree RN BBs have this Mega Repair Party.

=====

Horrible secondaries, worse than USN BBs IMO, and that's pretty darn bad as USN BBs have very mediocre secondaries.

=====

Coated in 32mm plate armor.  RN BBs are very susceptible to medium and small caliber shell spam.  Cruisers, Destroyers get easy pens on them, even against X Conqueror.  Of interest, French BBs are the same way and share the same vulnerability.  Even the well loved KGV at Tier VII is very susceptible to shell spam.

They also are prone to eating AP penetrations from Battleships.  IMO, RN BBs are not the BBs to sail if you like to brawl.

=====

Overall, RN BBs are a solid Mega Cruiser Battleship Line.  IMO, the highlight ships of the RN BB Line are:

IV Orion - She is OPAF.  She is the only BB in Tier III-IV that actually makes Imp.Nikolai I think, "This is going to be a close fight."  And Imp.Nik.I is OPAF in her own right.

Orion vs Imperator Nikolai I... WHO YA GOT!

giphy.gif

VII King George V - A solid BB in a very competitive BB tier, and located in one of the most favorable tiers in the game.

X Conqueror - The poster child of RN BBs that people love to hate.  Like KGV at Tier VII, a very solid BB in the ultra competitive High Tier BB Field.

+1 Haze legit good answer!

[SYN]
Members
4,532 posts
11,434 battles

....aaaaand here we go again.  :fish_palm: