Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Xcalib3r

AA spec'ed Gearing?

12 comments in this topic

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

I've noticed more CV in tier X random battle lately, how capable is the AA from Gearing in shredding tier X planes when it's fully spec'ed out? I believe the AA rating goes up to about 70~72?  with DFAA is it possible to wipe out few squadron of Midway planes within range?  I've only had 247 random battles in the gearing so far and never gave much thought about DD being in AA spec until now.  lol

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

With a full build, Gearing is incredibly capable. Your AA range goes beyond your surface detection, and the DPM with MAA + DFAA is extremely satisfying. If you desire to wreck planes and steal caps, AA gearing may be for you.

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

Would it be a waste to skip MAA and only build the Gearing with the following?

AFT to extend AA range
BFT to increase DPM
AA Mod 2 to extend AA range
AA Mod 3 to increase DPM

With the above captain skill, modules, plus DFAA it would be decent right? I found the manual firing to be quite distracting when i tried it in the past on DM/Hindenburg....

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
289 posts

You will still down a lot of planes without MAA. The good part of that build is that your AA guns won't wait for your target selection to start firing at incoming aircraft.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
3 minutes ago, Chief_Runamuck said:

You will still down a lot of planes without MAA. The good part of that build is that your AA guns won't wait for your target selection to start firing at incoming aircraft.

MFCAA is a flat boost to AA DPS with a target selected. It is MFCSB that requires target selection to activate. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,609 posts
14,017 battles

Back when there was the old Strike Lexington, 0/1/3, I went after DDs quite a bit.  Fletcher, Gearing in AA Spec will jack my planes up back then, which is a surprise because most don't spec for AA, even with those USN DDs.  They rely on DF to panic, but the AA causes aircraft losses that count in the long run of the match.

Now there's more AA capable DDs like Grozovoi, freaking KIDD, etc.

Manual AA trait is the key, along with Defensive Fire.  The core of their AA DPS is in the 127mm or so sized guns.  Manual AA demands 85mm or larger.  Couple that with Defensive Fire, it can annoy a CV with the plane losses.

Members
1,643 posts
9,728 battles

Its decent at AA.  I still prefer Groz for KotS and other T10 CV competitions if I am playing AA heavy.

Just having DF makes it one of the two viable DD in competitive CV battles.

Members
842 posts
On 4/9/2018 at 6:52 PM, Ivlerlin said:

MFCAA is a flat boost to AA DPS with a target selected. It is MFCSB that requires target selection to activate. 

Untrue.

MCFAA boost your 85mm+ AA gun damage by 100%, but they will only fire IF you select a target.  Sub-85mm guns will still automatically fire at anything appropriate, but they never get the +100% bonus.

You really do have to select your air target for MFCAA to be functional.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
On 4/10/2018 at 11:53 PM, EAnybody said:

Untrue.

MCFAA boost your 85mm+ AA gun damage by 100%, but they will only fire IF you select a target.  Sub-85mm guns will still automatically fire at anything appropriate, but they never get the +100% bonus.

You really do have to select your air target for MFCAA to be functional.

Err... yes. I had forgotten to specify Long Range (large calibre) AA DPS. 

I also must have had my threads mixed up when commenting. And forgetting to Quote another commenter which I was directing my comment towards. 

---

As an AA platform, some ships can get away with "forgetting" to select an AA Target even when spec'ed with MFCAA. And while forgetting to select something in the heat of battle will make MFCAA's buff not activate; which in some cases is okay to mistakenly forget. 

But considering this thread is about Gearing (a DD) for the most part they're running silent AA. The interesting side effect of "Silent AA" and Manual Selection of an Aircraft, is that it automatically turn your AA to "ON" once a target is selected.

As for Damage output the +100% Large Cal AA on target is roughly 30-60% overall boost to AA DPS (with target selected) a ship's Large Calibre AA trends to be their Largest AA Bubble, which means aircraft passing over head will spend the most amount of time within. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, Xcalib3r said:

Would it be a waste to skip MAA and only build the Gearing with the following?

AFT to extend AA range
BFT to increase DPM
AA Mod 2 to extend AA range
AA Mod 3 to increase DPM

With the above captain skill, modules, plus DFAA it would be decent right? I found the manual firing to be quite distracting when i tried it in the past on DM/Hindenburg....

For what it's worth, AFT is a double edged sword on a DD like the Gearing.  Sure, it's great for the AA benefit.  But it also increases your main gun range, which also happens to make it more difficult to simply run away from the enemy to get outside your max gun range and become undetected.  

Thus, there's something to be said for foregoing AFT on an anti-air specced DD.  

Edited by Crucis

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

True that, I've skipped the AFT on both the Gearing and Yueyang (same gun) now because the shells got way too floaty and inconsistent beyond 12km range, the stock 11km max is pretty much the limit i felt comfortable with, plus the larger detectable firing range was another reason i hesitate to take AFT for DD in general.

Sign in to follow this