You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TitanicMan2

How useful is the "Priority Target" skill?

57 comments in this topic

[-THOR]
Members
547 posts
3,108 battles

I've seen multiple builds on ships use the "Priority Target" skill (Tells you how much ships are aiming at you)

While I can see it's use sometimes I don't know how it is effective. I'd infer that it can tell how much people are shooting you and if you need to hide or escape or not? Mostly on tier 1 captain skills I take preventative maintainence or for more fragile ships, incoming fire alert. Is it a better idea to use Priority Target?

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,971 battles

I've gotten used to PT and have a hard time playing without it.

Without PT you simply see the words "Detected" if an enemy ship spots you.  That doesn't tell you the amount of danger you're in.  There could be 1 ship that sees you or there could be 10.  You have no idea.

With PT you can see how many ships are specifically targeting you.  So let's say you're a DD and you go into a cap.  You see "Detected (1)" which means 1 ship is targeting you.  I'll stay in the cap and fight since it's probably just 1 enemy DD in the cap.  But there are times when I've seen "Detected (7)".   Ya...you just walked into the hornet's nest.  Time to GTFO of there...   PT gives an intelligent way to decide whether to stay and fight or retreat and has probably saved my life dozens of times.  

Oh and my record for number of targets on me is 9.  Ya...I got the heck out of there as soon as I could.  Escaped with half my life but had I stayed 3 seconds longer I'd be dead.

Edited by _MiDKnighTx_
  • Cool 10

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,499 battles

I use them on my Cruisers cause if more than 1 is looking at you your about to be shot at and your a bit squishy... don’t use them on BBS or DDs

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,799 posts

I find it useful especially in situations where you might not have line of sight on the ship targeting you but they do. Ultimately it's something you might want to play with and see what you think. It's utility does vary a little bit depending on what ships you are driving but for 1 point I find it's utility is inexpensive.

Members
4,441 posts
6,134 battles

I have never used it but I think I will now....give it a try. I just got into a hornets nest.  It was not pretty.  Was getting hit by 4 ships.  I kinda went the wrong way when we sailed forth.  heh

Edited by dmckay

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,657 battles

Pretty much a must-have on any cruiser, imo. I find it a great way to know when it is time to twist, turn, slow down, or speed up in order to avoid the Cadillac-sized shells being fired from BBs. It also gives you some idea of when to stop firing and let your detection range drop down until all those ships have found someone else to shoot at.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

Members
606 posts
5,419 battles

PT gives you the most useful information at all times, have it on every ship that is not a CV

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,440 battles

It's one thing to know you're spotted, it's something entirely different to know if you're spotted and ignored or spotted and targeted by 7 people. Besides, the other T1 skills aren't that spectacular - for information-to-cost ratio PT can't be beat.

• Cool 6

[WAG]
Members
372 posts
7,262 battles

I didn't see the use until I tried it, now I have it on all my cruisers and battleships. On cruisers it is great as I like to stay behind the lead ships and fire from range. It is great to know that despite being detected, no ships are targeting me; I don't have to dodge and can maximize my DPM. It never ceases to amaze me that battleships will let me stand off and slowly burn them to death, yet never target me.

[AK]
Beta Testers
331 posts
9,027 battles

Generally speaking I do not use it as I assume if detected that everyone that can see me will shoot me. I take PM over PT normally

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,009 posts
9,174 battles

Changed all my ships except DD and CV to this skill, its really really good skill, I would also say mandatory.

[SIM]
Members
2,428 posts
4,060 battles

It’s one of the single most useful skills in the game, in my estimation. Knowing if people are targeting you can inform which evasive maneuvers that you need to take, or tell you how many unspotted enemies are in an area of the map. Paying attention to the number of ships targeting you versus what’s been spotted on your map can also give you ample warning about when you’re being shadowed by a sneaky DD, and when you need to start zig-zagging for impending torpedo attacks.

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,184 battles

I have PT on every ship I own.  There is no such thing as too much information and the number of red ships targeting you is essential in my opinion.  

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,155 posts
3,867 battles

It's just as mandatory as Situational Awareness was before WG gave that as a passive to everyone.

[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,863 battles

PT can let you know if you are being targeted by a DD that you may not see. That being said I don't use it unless I have a point that is not being used.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
7 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It's just as mandatory as Situational Awareness was before WG gave that as a passive to everyone.

I'm not sure that I'd call it truly mandatory, Kiyo, but it sure has its uses.  It's not the end of the world to not have it, so to speak.  But it is very nice to have the info it gives.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
8 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

PT can let you know if you are being targeted by a DD that you may not see. That being said I don't use it unless I have a point that is not being used.

Only if they're targeting you with their main guns.  PT only works when ships are targeting you with their main guns, but NOT with their torpedoes.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,863 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Only if they're targeting you with their main guns.  PT only works when ships are targeting you with their main guns, but NOT with their torpedoes.

True Locked on ships only.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,905 battles

Now that I have it on all my ships, I don't know what I did without it, especially on my Fiji.

Counter reads 1, enemy ship in sight - keep hammering it.

Counter climbs above 1, or reads 1 with ship nowhere in sight - better have smoke and slow-down ready. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,546 posts
3,734 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

It can however indicate that the DD have switched to the torps and launched them at you which then you can use to start making maneuvers way ahead of time.

[OPRAH]
Members
1,027 posts
6,572 battles
21 minutes ago, Lert said:

It's one thing to know you're spotted, it's something entirely different to know if you're spotted and ignored or spotted and targeted by 7 people. Besides, the other T1 skills aren't that spectacular - for information-to-cost ratio PT can't be beat.

^ This.  For DDs and CAs/CLs it's incredibly important.  These ship types are fragile enough as is.  One way to prevent an early death is to know when to break an attack, stop firing your guns, and go "dark."  Going dark allows you to get your concealment back, re-position yourself, and push a different flank, cap, or angle on a ship before firing again.  Further, knowing when you're being ignored is also very nice because it means that you can fire your guns in confidence that no one else is returning fire.

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
18,968 battles
36 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I have never used it but I think I will now....give it a try. I just got into a hornets nest.  It was not pretty.  Was getting hit by 4 ships.  I kinda went the wrong way when we sailed forth.  heh

That's kind of low- mine went to 9 last night with Kutuzov.

When it was first introduced I thought it was garbage- hey I can see the mini-map. I used it and low and behold it is invaluable on cruisers. If you are spamming away on a BB and you are detected but not targeted- keep it up. It's a great skill to take.

It may not tell you who is targeting you but greatly helps to determine the biggest threat depending on your position, what the mini-map is indicating and knowing the ship gun ranges.

• Cool 1

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,237 battles

For me, it's essential. 

I use it on every ship in the game, with no exceptions. (I don't play CVs, though, so can't speak to those)

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
15 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

It can however indicate that the DD have switched to the torps and launched them at you which then you can use to start making maneuvers way ahead of time.

Yes, I know.  I've written up a rather detailed post on it, and how a smart DD player can counter that.