You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Should new players be allowed to buy high tier premium ships?

214 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles

Everyone here is familiar with the term wallet warrior. I guess by definition I could be called one since I have most of the premium ships. In this case, I am talking about that new player who has only been playing a few days and buys a high tier ship. I was in a game with our CV being a Graf Zepplin. For starters, he never moved from his spawn point.  Then about midway through the game an enemy destroyer gets in our green flag cap point, I am pushing our cap in the Monarch trying to prevent the enemy from winning. He is spotting the DD as he is flying his aircraft on a strike mission, I get some shots in on the DD and get him down to 1/3 health. The CV driver flys his aircraft off and lets the destroyer escape into stealth. Three minutes later the destroyer reappears right next to the carrier and promptly sinks him with a torpedo salvo. The CV driver than says......Gee thanks for the support team.

Now, this was weekend play and I had a rough stretch of teams but this guy was the straw that broke the camels back. I went ballistic on the guy and said a lot of things I probably shouldn't have. He sent me a private message explaining that he just bought the Graf Zepplin and wanted to try it out. I looked at his stats and he had less than 100 battles in the game and only a couple in CV's.

My question is that with a game built on a progression system, shouldn't that INCLUDE premiums? I am fine with people who have earned the equivalent level of tech tree ships purchasing a premium but letting completely inexperienced players jump the line and plunge straight into high tier/end gameplay is a mistake in my opinion. ESPECIALLY in CV's the most complex and difficult class of ships to play in the game. Not only does it foul up matchmaking, if these players are buying their new toys and promptly getting the crap kicked out of them, they are going to feel like they were robbed. 

I think restricting new players to co-op and operations with high tier premiums would be a good move and they would have to UNLOCK random matches by unlocking an equivalent tier of the corresponding ship class. So that by the time they get to experience high tier gameplay in a high tier premium ship they will be much better-rounded players.......or at least familiar with the game and won't go full potato EVERY match.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 14

[TBW]
Members
6,344 posts
11,892 battles

Only if their wife or Husband or Mother or Father lets them. I may not like it, but we live in the age of no one left behind. Thank you Social Media for the decline of society.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 3

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
8 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I think restricting new players to co-op and operations with high tier premiums would be a good move and they would have to UNLOCK random matches by unlocking an equivalent tier of the corresponding ship class. So that by the time they get to experience high tier gameplay in a high tier premium ship they will be much better-rounded players.......or at least familiar with the game and won't go full potato EVERY match.

Right...like WG's going to turn away money for premium ships.  Not going to happen.  Just wasting your time even thinking about it.  

Also, what about ships that you only see every 4-6 months, and don't want to miss when they come around again?   You want to put a lock on those or force people into co-op just because it annoys you and you might lose and mess up your pretty stats?  Aww.  I feel so sorry for you.  

Yeah, that'll help WG's reputation.  "I spent 50 bucks on this new BB, but I can't play in PvP with it, because it might mess up someone's stats!"

No.

Edit: If this was a subscription game, perhaps this might be feasible, but, since it's F2P, and a lot of people don't put money into the game, they're not going to block sales of premium ships for any reason.

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 3

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,073 battles

Come on, this is a money making venture.  Why would anyone who runs this video game want to restrict people from spending cash.  

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,424 battles

What???   Graf Zeppellin is for sale ???

My wallet is open...

Thanks for telling me.

[SPTR]
Members
3,582 posts
631 battles

Let people spend their money how they wish. It's really not hurting you in any meaningful way for someone else to pay to support the game.

• Cool 1

[-THOR]
Members
547 posts
3,108 battles

Some other games that I have played restrict the purchase of higher end premium ships until you reach a certain level to do it. Would it work in WOWS?

• Boring 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
1 minute ago, Panzer1113 said:

Come on, this is a money making venture.  Why would anyone who runs this video game want to restrict people from spending cash.  

That is the difference between micro thinking and macro thinking. Micro thinking is getting their money as quickly as possible, consequences be damned. Macro thinking is releasing all of these inexperienced players into high tier gameplay damages our product in the long run, driving old and new players from the game faster because of terrible quality matchmaking.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,424 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

What???   Graf Zeppellin is for sale ???

My wallet is open...

Thanks for telling me.

Just checked.....

IT'S NOT FOR SALE....

Had me going there for a moment.

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
2 minutes ago, 6Xero9 said:

Let people spend their money how they wish. It's really not hurting you in any meaningful way for someone else to pay to support the game.

So having a complete novice in a high tier game, in a critical asset like a CV is not hurting me or the other 10 players in a meaningful way? How about they are nearly GUARANTEEING my team a loss when they are matched up against an enemy CV that has 4000 high tier battles?

• Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,404 posts
10,165 battles

Should they? Absolutely no. Should they be prohibited from doing so? No again. As much as I would like to see people having the experience/skills to use those ships you just can't stop them from buying them if they wish too.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
5 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Should veteran players be forced to use a forum search feature that [does lewd things to] moose testicles to determine if a subject has been beaten to death?

Funny how I do not ever remember seeing a thread like this one. Although until very recently I was never really active in the forums. Since the player turnover rate in this game is so large and like an internet search, new people seldom go past the first page of the forums. So IT DOESN'T MATTER if it was discussed in the past. The majority of commenters and players who viewed the post are no longer active on the forums or game.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,582 posts
631 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

So having a complete novice in a high tier game, in a critical asset like a CV is not hurting me or the other 10 players in a meaningful way? How about they are nearly GUARANTEEING my team a loss when they are matched up against an enemy CV that has 4000 high tier battles?

Because it's an impossibility that someone flailed their way to the top right? Or used freeXP to get those higher tier ships right?

And you know what else could be nearly guaranteeing your team a loss? If your DD(s) managed to get detonated as they pushed.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles

No restriction, keep it as is.  The newbie pays for a Premium then that supports the game.  Of course, I did the exact same thing and was getting crushed.  My first 2 Premium Ships were Tier VII Atlanta and Tier VIII Atago, back when WoWS was new.  At the time my highest tiered tech tree ship was Tier V OP-maha (her nickname back in those days, yes, I know it's a joke now).  I was getting absolutely crushed in ATL and Atago, my stats suffered.  I was doing so bad in Atago that I have yet to recover her bad stats from the abyss.  It took me MANY matches to get my Atlanta stats out of the red and into the average realm.

Anyways, again, no restrictions.  If the newbie feels he likes WoWS enough to support it with money, then that's good for the rest of us.  He may have a learning curve like I did, but he supported the game to help keep it running.

• Cool 5

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I see plenty of terrible players in high tier tech tree ships, so I see no reason why terrible players shouldn't be allowed to financially support the game.

• Cool 5

[WORX]
Members
1,645 posts
12,703 battles

I think the Opposite is true. WG should let all Over Powered  ships back on sale so that everyone can pad there Stats. Not solely for the beta testers that got the Ark Beta BB, not only for those old players that seal club in them. That is not fair and balanced. New players what to Seal club too...

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles

This topic has been hashed over and re-hashed over quite a bit over the past couple of years.

I've always been in favor of players not being able to purchase a premium ship until they have unlocked a ship of that class and tier on the tech tree, but that is an idealistic thought because WG is not got going to restrict people from spending $$$ on the game.

Edited by daVinci761st
  • Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles
3 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I see plenty of terrible players in high tier tech tree ships, so I see no reason why terrible players shouldn't be allowed to financially support the game.

Pretty much.  You can fail your way into Tier X.

One of the most horrifying examples I can think of, and this is a Tier X Tech Tree CV we're talking about.  I mean, we got a considerable crowd that hate CVs to begin with, but when you hear of a Tier X CV that doesn't even know what a strafe is, people were flipping out :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SIM]
Members
2,438 posts
4,080 battles

Look, Wargaming is here to make money. They make more money in allowing everyone to buy premiums than they would in appeasing the self-styled elite by gating purchases to a smaller cross-section of players. How do we make everyone happy? By adding a skill-based competitive mode outside of random battles that you must have X number of battles played to participate in. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,409 posts
5,422 battles

When you own your own company you can implement that idea but in the meanwhile...WOW is not some  developer operating out of some double car garage. They have overhead and people to pay to keep this business going.  MONEY is what oils the business and they need to make a profit.   I am sure WOW is ALWAYS thinking of ways to make money...you would too if given that situation.  

Members
4,452 posts
6,168 battles
30 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

WG is a business. You need to take Econ 101. You play the game you accept that taters will be playing. Sorry it messes up your life but is it really that BIG a deal. Is it? I think not.  The very last thing WG will do is not allow players, whomever they be, to spend money cause that is what a business wants them to do. Moreover WG does not care about your personal win rate. You just suck it up and do your best OP. Don't take a FTP game overly seriously.

Edited by dmckay

[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,237 battles

It is a free to play game and a free country (at least where I live).  If someone wants to buy a premium ship and play it, then I don't see the problem. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,549 posts
9,817 battles

Are there any restrictions for purchasing high tier premiums at the moment? Can anyone buy a tier 8+ prem BB with just 10 battles? 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
2 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Are there any restrictions for purchasing high tier premiums at the moment? Can anyone buy a tier 8+ prem BB with just 10 battles? 

Pretty sure they could buy it with no battles if they wanted, as long as the account was created.

Cash money.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

As long as they got money they can.  When I was new, I bought Atlanta and Atago, and Omaha was my highest tiered ship.  The only real restriction, other than money, is if the Premium Ship is available.

Tirpitz is the poster child of Premium Tier VIII ship with wildly varying degrees of skill players possible.  From veteran players that will make you work hard in trying to kill her, to "This is my 2nd day with WoWS and I luv may Battleship Tirpitz."

Remember the derogatory "Derpitz" nickname? :Smile_teethhappy: