Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
gillhunter

Cleveland at T8

66 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

88
[CIAO]
Members
364 posts
17,946 battles

I have just watched 2 you tube videos about the Cleveland at Tier 8. The authors seemed confused and disappointed in the way she has been modded for tier 8. Floaty shell arcs, not much range, nor armor. If she is not changed before she goes public it appears there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,878 battles
12 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

I have just watched 2 you tube videos about the Cleveland at Tier 8. The authors seemed confused and disappointed in the way she has been modded for tier 8. Floaty shell arcs, not much range, nor armor. If she is not changed before she goes public it appears there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.   

She is not finalized as of yet. Be patient.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[CIAO]
Members
364 posts
17,946 battles

Sovereindawg, I certainly hope you are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

personally I would rather have a weak ship go into test then buffed then an OP one that then gets nerfed

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[CIAO]
Members
364 posts
17,946 battles

My problem is I don't think they are going to fix her shell arcs.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,329 posts
9,407 battles

Would be nice if they could offer a T6 Premium Cleveland Class -- just like it is now.

And make a T6 version of the Ognevoi while they are at it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
17 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Would be nice if they could offer a T6 Premium Cleveland Class -- just like it is now.

And make a T6 version of the Ognevoi while they are at it.

 

That would be dumb.  If it's really and properly a tier 8 ship, there's no good reason for them to offer a tier 6 version ... of either.  There will be tier appropriate ships that can be offered, if need be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,585
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,590 posts
14,010 battles
18 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

I dont get why everyone hates "floaty" shell arcs, get used to it. Minotaur does perfectly fine with high arcs, same with DM.

Minotaur has smoke and about 8.6km stealth range to do her work, as well as Repair Party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,185 battles

I'm really hoping to see all the light cruisers get a heal like the RN line. It compensates for their restrictions on guns and armor pretty well. It seems to work for Abruzzi.

Edited by Spieges
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[CIAO]
Members
364 posts
17,946 battles

The Cleveland doesn't have one at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,818
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts
29 minutes ago, Spieges said:

I'm really hoping to see all the light cruisers get a heal like the RN line. It compensates for their restrictions on guns and armor pretty well. It seems to work for Abruzzi.

Can't do that... why that's part of the gimmicky... I mean, "unique trait" of the RN line, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
1 hour ago, gillhunter said:

My problem is I don't think they are going to fix her shell arcs.

the shell arcs are fine especially since it is squishy. with high shell arcs you can shoot over islands more easily.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,299 posts
9,262 battles
58 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Minotaur has smoke and about 8.6km stealth range to do her work, as well as Repair Party.

And? Radar mino works, Atlanta works, US CAs work. The new cls will throw more than enough lead down range to hit targets. It might struggle with some faster DDs but that's it.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,585
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,590 posts
14,010 battles
11 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

And? Radar mino works, Atlanta works, US CAs work. The new cls will throw more than enough lead down range to hit targets. It might struggle with some faster DDs but that's it.

All of which Cleveland does not have.  The new CLs inherit Cleveland shells.  The same cr@p floaty shells where she has trouble hitting targets with double digit ranges.  She got away with it at Tier VI because most gunnery in that tier group is cr*p.  Cleveland is going into Tier Freaking VIII and seeing Tier X ships.  Cleveland can throw as many shells as it wants.  Whether she hits anything past 10km, well, that's another story.

 

DPM, volume of fire, range... Doesn't matter when your shells float like Cleveland does, and now seeing the long range emphasis of High Tier matches.

 

But I'll be honest.  I do look forward to Cleveland's arrival into Tier VIII.  My Des Moines will love seeing her around the caps.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,329 posts
9,407 battles

Propped up a Cleveland in a training room.  Erased it with 3 salvoes AP from the Des Moines.  That's 12 seconds.

Have fun people !!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,585
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,590 posts
14,010 battles
5 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Propped up a Cleveland in a training room.  Erased it with 3 salvoes AP from the Des Moines.  That's 12 seconds.

Have fun people !!!

 

Des Moines:  "See ya in the caps, bruh.":Smile_teethhappy:

Cleveland:  "But muh fast shooting 152mm guns!"

Des Moines:  "That's cute."  Loads 203mm autoloading guns with SHS.

 

She won't have the 27mm bow to face tank 380mm AP like DM, Baltimore do.  This'll be funny.

 

Edit:  I do say, I look forward to Worcester.  Not for her guns, but due to her combination of stealth, radar range, super-long-range-and-now-buffed-AA.  Worcester is a less sturdy, less damage oriented Cruiser than DM, but has the stealth, AA, consumables to do some utility duties better than what DM does.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[CIAO]
Members
364 posts
17,946 battles
56 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

And? Radar mino works, Atlanta works, US CAs work. The new cls will throw more than enough lead down range to hit targets. It might struggle with some faster DDs but that's it.

I'll be looking forward to see how well you do in yours.

 

By the way, those are the 6" guns from one of the 2 Cleveland Class Cruisers I served aboard in my avatar. Their shells didn't float IRL.

Edited by gillhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,367
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,932 posts
6,435 battles
3 hours ago, skull_122_steel said:

personally I would rather have a weak ship go into test then buffed then an OP one that then gets nerfed

this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
599
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,320 posts
11,434 battles

I know, let's give all US cruisers 14 sec shell flight time, the shortest ranges and weaken the armor even more.

Then we will get rid of upgraded gun and call the b hull non existent.

We will make them so nimble that their rudder shifts are in the 14 to 18 second range so they cannot dodge shells....

To make all players happy, we will keep high AP pen and give them better stealth...

 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59
[NBGC]
Members
329 posts
3,565 battles

I'd be absolutely FINE with floaty shell arcs if the range was buffed. Maybe 18-21km?? :cap_rambo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
671 posts
2,201 battles
1 hour ago, Rpkscout1 said:

I'd be absolutely FINE with floaty shell arcs if the range was buffed. Maybe 18-21km?? :cap_rambo:

 

Better get a 2nd monitor to be able to lead those shells.

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
140
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
477 posts
3,541 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Des Moines:  "See ya in the caps, bruh.":Smile_teethhappy:

Cleveland:  "But muh fast shooting 152mm guns!"

Des Moines:  "That's cute."  Loads 203mm autoloading guns with SHS.

 

She won't have the 27mm bow to face tank 380mm AP like DM, Baltimore do.  This'll be funny.

 

Edit:  I do say, I look forward to Worcester.  Not for her guns, but due to her combination of stealth, radar range, super-long-range-and-now-buffed-AA.  Worcester is a less sturdy, less damage oriented Cruiser than DM, but has the stealth, AA, consumables to do some utility duties better than what DM does.

So the standard to judge Tier VIIIs is how well they fare against Tier Xs?  I agree with you on the difficulty of hitting targets at range with the 152s but at least with the CL line being consistent in gun performance from Tier VI on, everyone should be very proficient by the time they hit Tier VIII and IX, and deadly at Tier X (if they can survive long enough).  I personally hate island hugging, which feels so wrong in a naval game to me.  I probably wont do well, sigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,480 battles

Been kinda disappointed with the US cruiser line up to Tier 8 anyway. Power creep by other lines & new BBs have made them really fragile. Once in a while I have a good game but not consistent enough for me. I'll wait till after the changes and keep the ships I like that are fun and sell the ships I don't like as I'm not going to have a POS sitting in my port that I don't like to play. Funny thing is I just re-started the Russian cruiser line at Tier 6 and like the Budyonney! Figure that one out! Torped and sunk two BBs my third random battle in her for 72K damage, 3 sunk total, 4 torp hits, 128 hits, 3 fires and top scorer. I also like the IJN, British and French cruiser lines thru Tier 7. I've played in clan battles against the Des Moines and played properly it looks like a great cruiser. I've played the Hindenburg and Moskova and like them both but I'm not there yet.

Question: Even with a spotter plane the proposed 14.6km gun range in the Tier 8 Cleveland will be terrible IMHO. It should be at least 16.5km then 20% for the spotter.

Edited by dust340man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
842 posts
On 4/9/2018 at 9:07 PM, dust340man said:

Question: Even with a spotter plane the proposed 14.6km gun range in the Tier 8 Cleveland will be terrible IMHO. It should be at least 16.5km then 20% for the spotter.

Absolutely not.

I keep seeing people complaining about the new Cleveland, and, inevitably, it boils down to them wanting the kitchen sink:

  1. Radar
  2. Sub-10-second reload
  3. Sub-20-second turret rotation
  4. The ability to bounce BB shells (i.e. 27mm armor everywhere)
  5. 9km concealment
  6. laser shell arcs
  7. 17+km range
  8. Monster AA

basically, people keep asking for the very best features of the Hipper, Mogami, Edinburgh, and Chappy, with NO downsides. 

 

Sorry, NO. Not only that, HELL NO.

 

The proper comparison for the Cleveland is the Mogami.  That's what it should aim for, not some Des Moines shoehorned to T8.

Basically, a T8 Cleveland should be equal to the 155mm Mogami, with minor changes:

  • FAR better concealment on the Mogami:  the Cleveland should get right about 10km conceal (after all adjustments)
  • One less turret, but better ROF for the Cleveland, say 8.5 or 9 seconds
  • nice, but not awesome turret rotation (25 seconds not any less).
  • Slightly less range as Mogami (14.0 base instead of 14.2, or the same as the Edinburgh, upgrade to 15.4 with better GFCS) AND the same floaty arcs it has now. 
  • No torps.  But monster AA to compensate - DAA should always be available, regardless of other consumables.
  • No Fighter plane, but Spotter Plane OR Radar instead.

That would be balanced and very playable. I'm tired of people complaining about not getting a super-powered ultra-dominator that they want, and that the T8 Cleveland should be as dominating at T8 as it is at T6. Sorry, that's hideously unbalanced.

 

 

Edited by EAnybody
  • Cool 4
  • Bad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×